Wisdom teeth Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • robc84 19 Jul 2013 19:19:00 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cool trying not to worry about it. Makes me feel better that its not all horror stories! To be fair I'm a bit of a wuss in general but more so at the dentist!
  • Errol 19 Jul 2013 19:20:31 12,553 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Basically, with the 3-4 injections you get you can't feel a thing anyway. The injections hurt more than the extraction.
  • robc84 19 Jul 2013 19:26:55 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just the thought of them drilling and pulling at my tooth seems...... unpleasant.

Time to man up I guess!
  • Jeepers 19 Jul 2013 19:32:23 13,312 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weirdly, when I had mine taken out it felt like the dentist was pushing not pulling. And then three seconds later it was all over.

As my wife often says.
  • robc84 19 Jul 2013 19:37:39 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    3 seconds... she's a lucky lady. My wife gets 2 if she's lucky.

Actually feel much better about it now. Thanks guys and gals!
  • teamHAM 19 Jul 2013 20:19:48 3,151 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    @teamHAM 9 injections - ouch how was the pain afterwards?
    The roof of my mouth was sore for about a day afterwards, the other 8 jabs were only really painful at the time for a few seconds each.

As for the procedure itself, there are a lot of variables that decide how painful it will be. Not least of all which dentist you have, the anesthetic, the state of the teeth, and generally how well your body has adapted to having/fitting the teeth into the mouth.

My lower ones were impacted and I had them out about 5 years ago. Incredible amounts of heave ho applied by dentist, huge pressure on my lower jaw, disturbing crunching and grinding noises, followed by stitches (which required a follow up appointment to be removed so yet more injections). However in terms of real mind numbing pain.. not really. Just a lot of real pushing and pressure. The injections before hand were worse.

As I said I had my upper two wisdom teeth out a couple of weeks ago. They were coming through when I had my lower ones out but decided at the time to leave them a while (with the recommendation of the dentist). However they then became decayed and my upper right one grew at a 45 degree angle facing outwards, causing swelling, ulcers etc. About a month ago a piece of the tooth broke off and I bit down hard on it while eating causing huge pain, which is when I said enough and booked in to have them out. As I said 9 jabs which were painful, and then he started working on the left tooth too soon, as the pain was unbearable. After a wait he started on the right one, which broke up because of it being so decayed, and to get it out he pressed so hard that he caused a lump/absess thing on the jaw at the back of my mouth which has only just gone down in the last few days.

But yeah, the best you can do is just get in there and get it over and done with, once you have healed it's a better quality of life all round, especially if you have had trouble with them.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• ronuds 19 Jul 2013 20:24:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even after I have novocaine, I still feel that tingle when they start digging in there. Must be when they touch a root or summat.

I'm getting queasy just thinking about it.
  • President_Weasel 19 Jul 2013 20:42:39 9,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a fucking horrible time getting my top two wisdom teeth out, one in particular had gnarled and twisted roots like a haunted tree. Took a bit of bone with it when it finally came loose, the fucker.
    Biting down on cotton wool pads and then rinsing with warm salty water for a day or two for each tooth. Pretty horrible.

It doesn't really last that long though, and the other tooth went much better. You can look back on it after a couple of days and say "well, that was pretty horrible, glad it's over" and get on with your life.
  • robc84 19 Jul 2013 21:04:42 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I guess we'll see what happens monday.

I'll be glad when they r out though. Always getting food stuck back there and every couple of months it gets all swollen and painful. Due to infection I guess.
  • robc84 22 Jul 2013 17:14:53 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Had my bottom right one out this afternoon. Very impacted so had lots of drilling and pulling to get it out. Unpleasant but no pain :) . Anesthetic not worn off yet but my jaw is already starting to ache.....
  • Jeepers 22 Jul 2013 17:34:54 13,312 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good work fella!
  • robc84 22 Jul 2013 17:39:03 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll be whinging like a little girl in a couple of hours!
  • psychokitten Moderator 22 Jul 2013 17:43:29 7,794 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did they give you a prescription for some painkillers? Over the counter stuff worked for me. And get some ice packs/frozen veggie packs ready :)
    You'll be fiiiiiiiine
  • boo 22 Jul 2013 17:57:38 11,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    I'm sure you'll be fine.
    But if you get infected and die, can we have your games?
    Go and write it down on a bit of paper and sign it, just to be on the safe side.

But like I say, you'll probably be fine.

Just Another Lego Blog

• robc84 22 Jul 2013 18:35:44 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @psychokitten

No prescription, just ibuprofen and paracetamol alternating at 3 hour intervals.

Anesthetic nearly worn off and so far so bearable!
  • robc84 22 Jul 2013 18:39:19 6,080 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    boo wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    I'm sure you'll be fine.
    But if you get infected and die, can we have your games?
    Go and write it down on a bit of paper and sign it, just to be on the safe side.

But like I say, you'll probably be fine.
    I hereby donate all of my games to EG if I get an infection and die.

That ok?
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Next