Wisdom teeth Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Vortex808 31 Jan 2011 10:53:04 7,592 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for you.

Reading a few stories above I'll add mine. When I had a couple out a few years back it was pretty grim- one was impacted and had kind of fused into the jawbone. They had to drill away into my jaw for about 30 mins to get the damn thing out. The other came out no bother though. Thank god for painkillers, it was tuily surreal to smell the heat as they drilled my jaw bone and watch my blood scoot through the suction tube.

I thought I'd go back to work the next day as I felt great, but as soon as the painkiller wore off I knew I'd have to take a couple of days off. My jaw had definitely been pretty brutalised.

It was sore for days and then achey for ages. Especially if the weather was about to turn nasty. I felt a bit like one of the old folk who tell you it's going to rain because their knee aches!

Thankfully, it settled down in time and I can't tell when the weather's changing these days.
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Jan 2011 20:48:11 15,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    My turn chaps

I'm having the 2 lower ones ripped out (due to the fact they are running along/under the gum line, it looks horrible on the xray) I will report back later...if I pull through

Thanks fo thoughts boys.
    Just got back and it is fair to say I'm in agony!! and feel drunk, and have a lot of blood in my mouth.
    Good night.
    ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• DUFFMAN5 10 Feb 2011 23:02:44 15,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just an update really, as above I had both lower ones removed on the 31st and up until yesterday I was in a whole lot of pain still, where you feel like crying! everyone of my lower teeth felt as though I had toothache.
    Today is better at last, but still fair from pain free. My Tongue and cheeks are also ultra sore and sensitive, I do not have an infection, it is just where the nerve feeding all that area got "stretched"
    I have been using the salt water mouthwash, and taken all the pain killers I was given, on to my own now. I really wish I did not have them done!
    I hope you lads awaiting to have them removed get on a lot better than me.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• angeltreats 17 Jun 2011 11:02:03 2,601 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had another wisdom tooth out on Wednesday. It was a really nasty procedure this time because the tooth was really weak and broke up into about fifteen bits which I had to keep spitting out, it took over half an hour of actually working at it to get all the bits out and the dentist was exhausted by the end of it. I had to have a few stitches as well, my gums are still really swollen and I lost loads of blood at the time.

Weird thing is, it's really not that sore yet. I'm taking paracetamol but not that many, and I've had two really good nights' sleep since. Last time I had a wisdom tooth out I was in agony by now - does that mean this one isn't going to be as bad or is it still likely to get worse?
  • Jeepers 17 Jun 2011 11:10:25 13,316 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's not hurting after a couple of days, I'd imagine that you're in the clear. The two I had out hurt for a day and were fine after that.

I'd keep swilling with warm salty water to keep any infection at bay, if I were you.
  • pacrifice 19 Mar 2013 18:17:12 1,180 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My lower right molar, removed around 3pm.

Dentist hasn't given any pain medication, anti biotics, he didn't mention them so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Am I gonna be in pain? The numbing agent is gradually wearing off and, the net says not to do any exercise for at least three days.... I really wanna go running tomorrow morning so, I'll be ok right?

Alot of questions i know, but is it gonna be really wrong of me to use Listerine like I always do? Net says hot salty water but bah, part of me just thinks to not be such a wuss.
  • DFawkes 19 Mar 2013 18:25:47 24,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't speak for everyone, but mine was painless and never bled again after a good nights sleep. Not eating on that side was a pain in the arse though.

As for running tomorrow, I personally wouldn't, though I don't at any time anyway.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Fonzie 19 Mar 2013 18:28:05 1,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pacrifice wrote:

Dentist hasn't given any pain medication, anti biotics, he didn't mention them so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Am I gonna be in pain? The numbing agent is gradually wearing off and, the net says not to do any exercise for at least three days.... I really wanna go running tomorrow morning so, I'll be ok right?

Alot of questions i know, but is it gonna be really wrong of me to use Listerine like I always do? Net says hot salty water but bah, part of me just thinks to not be such a wuss.
    I work as a nurse in a dental hospital. Any form of rinsing today is to be avoided or you will dislodge the clot formed where the tooth was extracted. Start warm salt water mouthwashes from tomorrow. Listerine won't help. Warm salt water will help keep the area really clean and free from infection. The best pain medication for extractions is to alternate between paracetamol and ibuprofen. Take some ibuprofen, then about 2 hours later some paracetamol. Then in about 2/3 hours some more ibuprofen. Keep repeating this as needed but ensure that you don't exceed the dosage of either drug on the back of the packets. No exercise either for a few days. Again, exercise can cause the socket to bleed which may be hard to stop without another visit to the dentist.

Edited by Fonzie at 18:28:32 19-03-2013

Edited by Fonzie at 18:29:57 19-03-2013
  • ILoveThrashMetal 19 Mar 2013 18:31:17 825 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    pacrifice wrote:

Don't do exercise today or take any aspirin based painkillers.
    Soft food today.
    Don't swish water round or spit it out as this can remove the clot.
    Tomorrow do warm salty mouth washes about x3.
    If you have any pain take some ibuprofen as they are also an anti inflammation tablets which will help with the swelling.
    Don't smoke as this will increase risk of infection.
    No need for antibiotics unless it becomes infected, just keep it as clean as you can and free from bacteria, as fucking rank as it is salt water is the best as the bacteria can't become immune to salt.
    Also can take 6-8 weeks to fully heal.
    :o)

Arsechickens

• President_Weasel 19 Mar 2013 18:31:23 9,668 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good advice, from a qualified professional? What happened to the EG I know and love?
  • DaM 19 Mar 2013 18:41:29 13,537 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Good advice, from a qualified professional? What happened to the EG I know and love?
    Bottle of whisky for breakfast, and you'll be fit for a marathon.

That better?
  • EMarkM 19 Mar 2013 21:06:15 3,457 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Bottle of whisky for breakfast, and you'll be fit for a marathon.

That better?
    All is well :)
  • Folant 19 Mar 2013 22:58:36 1,601 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Had a few extractions under a local, with the exception of one that needed drilling to get out they weren't that bad. Rather that than a root canal(feels like he stuck a freaking jackhammer in my mouth. Horrible experience.)

Count myself lucky so far I guess considering some of the horror stories here. Lol

Top left wisdom started playing up recently though, kinda dreading it though, as my dentist has said at a previous app that my roots are freakishly long.

Might just ask to have them all taken out, pain in the area, teeth.
    (Would they do that for a 29 year old? Take them all out on request?)

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• robc84 19 Jul 2013 14:38:56 6,096 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got an appointment with oral surgeon on Monday as I have to have both my bottom wisdom teeth out. They told me he may or may not do the surgery there and then depending on how easy he thinks they will be to remove.

They have both come through the gum and are impacted I believe.

I suppose I should be hoping that he does them on Monday as if he delays it means its a more difficult procedure!

I assume they can only take one out at a time as you can only have one side of your mouth numbed at a time right?

Also, what can you eat afterwards? Are we talking soup through a straw?
  • ronuds 19 Jul 2013 16:10:42 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't remember having any food restrictions - although it was a while ago and I've taken a lot of drugs since then.

The biggest worry was infection. It will depend on how deep they have to dig to get the bastards out.

Edited by ronuds at 16:11:22 19-07-2013
  • robc84 19 Jul 2013 16:15:05 6,096 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was just wondering what it was physically possible to eat, pain wise.

The whole procedure sounds horrible, and I have read so many horror stories, sprinkled with a few that were problem free.

Guess I'll just have to hope for the best!
  • ronuds 19 Jul 2013 16:17:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'll probably want to stick to softer foods that won't get stuck in your teeth for a little while, but everyone seems to have different experiences with wisdom teeth.

My brother had his done and felt normal later the same day. My wife's were a nightmare that gave her terrible pain for weeks.

It's a journey into the unknown!

Edited by ronuds at 16:17:45 19-07-2013
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 16:28:04
    When I had one of mine done they told me to chew on the other side for a bit and to not have anything super hot that would fill the mouth (tea, coffee, soup) for the first couple of days. Other than that there were no specific food restrictions, just common sense. You don't want to get crisps stuck in it after all!

It really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Just gotta be careful to keep it well cleaned afterwards.
  • fletch7100 19 Jul 2013 16:29:04 7,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just had one wisdom tooth taken out, was in the top which is meant to be less of an issue compared to lower jaw ones. Was growing at an angle and sticking into my cheek.

Tooth taken out in the morning went back into work after lunch for couple of hours work. Just some minor pain more like discomfort actually. Didn't eat anything for a few hours then started on soups for couple of days, then back to normal eating habits . kept washing mouth out with salt water etc

Guess I was lucky that it was a simple removal

The tooth that was removed, the one on the left was removed not the 1p coin I used as a size reference :)

Edited by fletch7100 at 16:29:36 19-07-2013

Edited by fletch7100 at 16:31:14 19-07-2013
  • robc84 19 Jul 2013 16:48:55 6,096 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well I'm hoping to back at work within a couple of days as long as its not too horrific.

Hopefully they'll just pull right out no problems! Although the fact that they are impacted is likely to complicate matters I guess.
  • ronuds 19 Jul 2013 16:52:55 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I heard that the impacted ones have to be broken inside your mouth and taken out in pieces.
  • robc84 19 Jul 2013 16:59:25 6,096 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I heard that the impacted ones have to be broken inside your mouth and taken out in pieces.
    Not sure if thats true or not, but either way I feel much better now thanks.....
  • psychokitten Moderator 19 Jul 2013 16:59:53 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, it's really not that bad, so try not to worry.

Last year one of mine was impacted and was at such an angle/placement that the dentist said there was no way in hell she was going to touch it.

So they referred me to a surgeon, who decided to just take the rest out at the same time. Dreaded it. Booked in to the hospital, got put to sleep, woke up confused with all of them gone. Got to eat some ice cream and then go home. Stocked up on soups, yoghurt, ice cream, and mashed potato after a few days. All was good. Just keep up with cleaning it with warm water + salt afterwards and don't stress it. They'll give you some lovely painkillers too, but I found I didn't even need them much. You'll be fiiiiine, and mine probably sounds like a bad case scenario :)
  • ronuds 19 Jul 2013 17:21:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Not sure if thats true or not, but either way I feel much better now thanks.....
    :p

I've actually never heard that.
  • elstoof 19 Jul 2013 17:54:36 8,321 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    The tooth that was removed, the one on the left was removed not the 1p coin I used as a size reference :)
    I suppose the penny was removed from behind your ear by your dentist to help lighten the mood.
  • teamHAM 19 Jul 2013 18:12:19 3,153 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    I assume they can only take one out at a time as you can only have one side of your mouth numbed at a time right?

Also, what can you eat afterwards? Are we talking soup through a straw?
    Unfortunately nope. I had both my upper ones removed a couple of weeks ago in one sitting, after nine injections in my mouth (4 on each side, one in the roof).

As for eating afterwards, I had soup (perhaps obviously) but also things like mash potato. Tesco do a wicked flavoured mash in a bowl like packet that I really enjoyed while I was recovering. Things like hard stringy meats (chicken) and rice are a no no because they will end up getting stuck in your gum and causing issues.

Oh, and ice cream. Just try not to let it seep into the socket!

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• robc84 19 Jul 2013 19:05:34 6,096 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for all the replies. I really hope it goes smoothly as I cant afford to have much time off work at the minute!

@teamHAM 9 injections - ouch how was the pain afterwards?
  • Jeepers 19 Jul 2013 19:13:10 13,316 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always say this in this thread but honestly don't worry rob. I've had three of the fuckers out and whilst I wouldn't choose to have it done if someone offered it to me, it's really, really not that bad.

Get some painkillers, take the advice on this page about when to start salt water rinsing and you'll be 100% in a day or so.
  • DanDanDanDan 19 Jul 2013 19:15:13 59 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sat here reading this after having a lower wisdom tooth out this morning. It was impacted and I've known it needed doing for years, only now it had started to decay.

How bad? Not at all. Seriously, it was fine. I didn't even feel the injections (2 to numb me up, wait 10 mins, another to make sure) and then the only sensation was pressure as the surgeon wrestled the thing out.

They cut the gum, drilled the tooth a bit and broke it up with what looked like a mini screwdriver. The root came out in a one-er using the same blunt instrument. Couple of stitches, told to bite on some gauze for 15 mins to stop the bleeding and kicked out the door!

I've got antibiotics, ibuprofen and paracetamol to keep me going. How does it feel? Like I've had a tooth removed :) A bit sore but following their advice and I should be good. It's also a good excuse to keep your feet up for a couple days and watch the cricket.

Don't worry, you'll be good. Really. I wouldn't believe anyone either but it was no bother whatsoever.
  • Errol 19 Jul 2013 19:17:11 12,561 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had all four wisdom teeth taken out with local pain relief. They come out easily if they are 'standard' teeth (the x-ray will tell the dentist what they look like).

The top wisdom teeth came out with a good pull/twist. Less than 5 seconds each.

The bottom ones were equally ok. One of them took a bit longer - more pulling etc but absolutely no pain due to the 3-4 injections.

Obviously each tooth was done at a different time.

Edited by Errol at 19:17:44 19-07-2013
  • Page

of 6 First / Last