Limbo Page 18

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 17 Dec 2010 15:50:21 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really do quite fancy this but if the first play through is round the 3 hour mark I don't know if I would be happy parting with 1200 points.
  • Lexx87 17 Dec 2010 15:51:58 20,869 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye 1200 is a bit rich I would wait for it to be 800 (very possibly be one of the unique 'daily deals' on the upcoming sale) which haven't been listed on the XBLA thread.

Speak the truth hussy!

• kinky_mong 17 Dec 2010 15:53:21 10,137 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    I really do quite fancy this but if the first play through is round the 3 hour mark I don't know if I would be happy parting with 1200 points.

Exactly what's prevented me from buying it, I'm really hoping it pops up as one of the surprise daily offers in the run up to New Year.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Blerk Moderator 17 Dec 2010 15:57:47 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Woo!

Finally got round to playing this last night where I finished it in about 3-4 hours I think. Loved it to bits it's an amazing, but really quite disturbing, game.

Loved it so much I wanted to go for the no more than 5 deaths run...

Did it once this morning dying about 10 times just learning everything properly, finished off a second run just now (takes about an hour half if you know the puzzles) and managed it :) Gutted really I didn't die until the very last puzzle where I died twice but still happy I got it.

What a game.
    Wow, grats! I got fed up trying for that and emo-quit. :-D
  • Deleted user 17 December 2010 16:02:19
    Why is this in general gaming? Thought it was an Xbox exclusive.

Regardless, I thought it was a fantastic game. I showed my girlfriend's Aunty and Uncle when they came round for dinner and they were blown away. Goes to show how far videogames have come as a creative medium.

I still need that last minimum death achievement, I get so far and then.......
  • Tom_Servo 19 Jan 2011 22:24:19 17,547 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm stuck! 52% through, and there's an area with two levels, both with a switch for a lift-like contraption.

I've moved the box to the upper level, and it's now on the left of a see-saw (tried the right, but the weight was too much for me to have any impact). What I'm doing now is dragging the floor of the lift onto the ground while the engine moves down, then using that to get on top of the lift. It moves back up and I jump off at the highest point I can manage, but I can't jump far enough to land on the other side of the see-saw, thus propelling the box.

If I put the box on the right side of the see-saw (me landing on the left), my weight has no impact on it.
  • Lexx87 19 Jan 2011 22:31:57 20,869 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If i've got the bit you mean right I think there is a handle on the bottom of the lift? Try grabbing that and pulling...

Speak the truth hussy!

• Tom_Servo 19 Jan 2011 22:48:41 17,547 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aha!

Thanks, Lexx. I could've sworn the solution was going to be jumping off the top of the lift.
  • Lexx87 19 Jan 2011 22:51:37 20,869 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good little puzzle that :)

Speak the truth hussy!

• dancingrob 20 Jan 2011 12:37:17 1,162 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    that was one of two puzzles I got stuck on as well.

spent rather too much time trying to catapult boxes from various positions, which just didn't work!
  • Deleted user 20 January 2011 12:42:03
    @inquisitor

I agree totally in regards to your comments on Braid. I loved the game but I kept getting stuck, I still haven't finished it.

Limbo however, I hit a couple of head scratching moments but I did the whole thing in a reasonable time without looking at any help.

I think I'm more of a physics based puzzler than a time lord. Sonic screwdriver is a girly Swiss army knife anyway.
  • kalel 20 Jan 2011 12:45:26 87,000 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've played this through about five times or so now. The whole "only 3 hours" thing really shouldn't put people off, or make people think it's poor value. It's three hours of such exquisite perfection that you'll play it through again and again.

I think it's an absolute bargain myself.
  • RedSparrows 20 Jan 2011 12:46:19 22,314 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But it's too short and pretentious cos of themes and shit, kalel! That means it's rubbish!!!!
  • Tom_Servo 20 Jan 2011 22:49:00 17,547 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's me finished it.

First off, the graphics and presentation are wonderful. Truly one of the best looking games I've played on the 360. At all times, it's simply stunning. The games loses its terrifying atmosphere after the spider dies, unfortunately. The ending and tie-in with the main menu screen was very clever, big fan of that. Quite affecting, actually.

As for the gameplay, I can't help but feel that the amazing presentation has glossed over its problems for some people. I often found I had to die a couple of times to get a handle on a puzzle, which I don't think should really be the case. Also, I found some of them to be rather trial-and-error. Some of the precision jumping would put the original Tomb Raider to shame as well (The electric hotel signs come to mind, although I'm sure there was another worse example that's slipped my mind).

A fair amount of the puzzles were very well-done though, so props to that. The developers also get kudos for creating the first game to make me feel nauseous! Pulling off the spider's leg and then using its head as a bridge... urgh

The final portion of the game was a bit of a write-off for me as I can't stand gravity puzzles in games. I'll admit to using a guide once it became apparent that was the theme for the rest of the game, just so I could get through it.

Overall, it had excellent presentation, a genuinely affecting narrative, but occasionally frustrating gameplay.

78%
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 20 Jan 2011 22:55:28 7,008 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 20 Jan 2011 22:55:28 7,008 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I often found I had to die a couple of times to get a handle on a puzzle, which I don't think should really be the case. Also, I found some of them to be rather trial-and-error. Some of the precision jumping would put the original Tomb Raider to shame as well (The electric hotel signs come to mind, although I'm sure there was another worse example that's slipped my mind).

I started and completed it last weekend and think it's one of the greatest games I've played on the 360, up there with Portal and RDR.

However I disagree with your complaint above - I think the deaths are a key part of the stark, bleak afterlife that the game designers have created, and I like that they are a necessary part of solving many of the puzzles. It actually enhanced the atmosphere for me highlighting and adding poignancy to a mechanic that is often used flippantly in many games.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2011 00:50:22
    Pac-man. I was going to reply with a similar opinion but you've already nailed it. I see his many deaths like an afterlife version of Groundhog Day. But that's just me, I like how the game leaves so much for you to decide what's going on but I definitely feel the instakill thing was a design decision.

The fact that you are put almost right back where you die instantly pretty much stops you having any issue with the amount of deaths, it's not something you'd criticise in Trials for example and in this game it really ties into the themes of the game so I don't think it's a flaw at all, although I see your point.

Unless you're going for those last 10g however.

And percentage scores? Man it's like being in the 90s.

/still wondering why this is in general gaming.
  • danathjo 30 Jun 2011 23:00:17 7,341 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    me too!

wouldn't say no to Shadow Complex though...but then that would be it :)
  • King_Edward 30 Jun 2011 23:12:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SMeat Boy and Trials would be my choices. I liked Limbo, but not nearly as much as some people, and I wouldn't bother buying it again. I might change my mind if they put in D-pad support though.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2011 11:12:09
    Billy_sastard wrote:
    You can get Trials on Steam though

Different edition of Trials fella :)

Anyhoo, those of you on PS3 ought to enjoy Limbo when it comes out on PSN. Exceedingly short though it is, it's excellent.
  • danathjo 8 Jul 2011 22:58:15 7,341 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://kotaku.com/5819453/playstation-3-gamers-enter-limbo-on-july-19
    Old news??
    Anyway, out on PSN on the 20th. Bloody hell that not far away!

How much is this on XBLA then for comparison?
  • Deleted user 8 July 2011 23:01:58
    1200 MS points currently I believe. Although someone spotted the Limbo/Trials/'Spolsion Man combo disc on sale for about 6 in the bargains thread earlier so it's considerably cheaper if you pick that up.
  • danathjo 8 Jul 2011 23:13:47 7,341 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only got the PS3, just wanted to guess how much they'll be charging for the PSN version

Bah, never mind..not like I can't google this...

Also, never realised they put XBLA games onto disc now.
  • Deleted user 9 July 2011 00:04:05
    Just picked this up again and FINALLY got past the' two boxes and buzz saw' bit.

Blimey, it must be six months six I last played it. Great great game.
  • matrim83 2 Aug 2011 21:44:11 5,587 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well its out on Steam today for anyone who cares. The developers sure dont.

No way to change your resolution. So you are stuck with whatever res the game runs on. No window mode either (which is a pretty big deal to me as I love playing games like these and alt tabbing every now and then). You cant even change the controls and the default controls are fucking retarded (seriously, who uses Up arrow key to jump?).

At least my 360 pad works but from what I read thats the only pad that is supported.

Valar morghulis.

• Page

of 20 First / Last