Easy games for a 5 Year old boy ?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Fairlane 9 Oct 2006 22:35:08 112 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like my DS, but since it was ment as a present for my boy ( I have been hiding it, ie. refused to giv it to him, since I got the Mario game), I probably should give it to him.
    But it seems a tad to hard for him. Do you have any recomandations for Easy DS games ?( If the title includes something he knows from a movie - hell be thrilled)

For some reson he loves Cars the movie ( I thought it was piss boring). Is the game any good ?

Edit : some of the spelling

Edited by Fairlane at 22:36:51 09-10-2006
  • Dirtbox 9 Oct 2006 22:37:32 78,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't give a five year old a console of any description.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• PinkSpider 9 Oct 2006 22:39:45 3,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't give a five year old a console of any description.
    Depends, my little cousins where all brought up on N64 games and at the age of 5 had completed Zelda OOT and Mario 64.
  • Dirtbox 9 Oct 2006 22:40:26 78,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, and I bet they're richer people for it >_>

• Dirtbox 9 Oct 2006 22:40:29 78,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• Megapocalypse 9 Oct 2006 22:41:12 5,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess it really depends how good his hand-eye coordination is. Cooking-Mama seems like an ideal kids game, although it would mean a US import (Not difficult, just not as instant as walking down to the shops).
  • deem 9 Oct 2006 22:42:25 31,641 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • haowan 9 Oct 2006 22:43:50 7,384 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah cooking mama sounds like a good choice.

Just remember to limit them to max 1 hour a day especially on weekdays :)

Or you will face the wrath of the Eurogamer Parents.
  • PinkSpider 9 Oct 2006 22:44:45 3,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Yeah, and I bet they're richer people for it >_>
    They are normal teens right now, the older one who is still quite young has a healthy social life and goes to parties and that. Also none of them are overweight in the slightest.

Ive been playing games myself since 5 (I got a nes and SMB3 at the age of 5 and im not overweight, have a great social life, good job, sexy other half and now an excellent gaming room!).

Nothing wrong with games and being good at them, as long as ya know you have a life too.

As for games: 2D marios, Meteos, Tetris?

Edited by PinkSpider at 22:47:34 09-10-2006
  • haowan 9 Oct 2006 22:48:00 7,384 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah. Should be good at 5. Give them puzzles!
  • Deleted user 9 October 2006 22:49:20
    disc wrote:
    I'd say New Super Mario Brothers is a good choice of game.

Jump and run. Run and jump. Why not.
    Possibly a bit hard for a 5 year old though! But I guess the gameplay is fairly intuitive so maybe.
  • Dirtbox 9 Oct 2006 23:31:48 78,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not saying that they can't play them, I'm saying bring your kids up, not plonk them in front of a TV.

• Dirtbox 10 Oct 2006 00:17:27 78,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not sure. In my mind there are far more important things for a young child to be learning about in his most impressionable years. I'm certainly not bringing anyone's parenting skills into question (I'm glad no one saw it that way reading back) but it's far too easy to fob your kids off with a console than spend time with them. If America has taught us anything... :)

Edited by Dirtbox at 00:18:21 10-10-2006

• Fairlane 10 Oct 2006 09:16:19 112 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Easy now .... I was'nt really looking for any moral judgement, whether my kid should play a DS or not. I pretty much think, that im in a better position to judge that, than any of You :-)

As someone wrote - Just because we (in broad terms) dont think a game is good, it's not always right. Me kid can have fun with a lot of boring stuff - simply because he can keep going. In Mario im shure he would be frustrated by that "Failing a jump" thing and dying.

Therefore the question was - Easy games (the value or quality can only be judge be the amount of fun, he detracts)
  • deem 10 Oct 2006 09:23:39 31,641 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 Oct 2006 09:24:16 7,010 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zoo Keeper is simple to pick up and has a fun, primary colour design.

Animal Crossing is a social experinence and would teach him some real world skills (like budgeting, working and relationship building) plus there's no way to 'die'.

Edited by Pac-man ate my wife at 09:26:34 10-10-2006
  • magicpanda 10 Oct 2006 09:24:36 13,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deem wrote:
    That makes me feel physically sick.

Poor little sods.

Coffee spitting hilarity.

You ok Deem?

/passes a bucket
    /rubs Deem gently on the back and holds back his Hair.

All this impotent rage isnt good for you.

/rubs
  • Deleted user 10 October 2006 09:25:20
    Buy him a football.
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2006 09:26:06 22,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zoo Keeper? Although I'd be wary about anything that would have a 5 year old scrawling over the touch screen.

/remembers watching his nephew playing a copy of Pokemon Dash
  • deem 10 Oct 2006 09:26:54 31,641 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • djchump 10 Oct 2006 09:29:32 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fairlane wrote:
    ...Me kid can have fun with a lot of boring stuff - simply because he can keep going. In Mario im shure he would be frustrated by that "Failing a jump" thing and dying.

Therefore the question was - Easy games (the value or quality can only be judge be the amount of fun, he detracts)
    Hmm.. now that I think of it that's quite a tough question - Other than Animal Crossing I'm hard pushed to think of a decent "easy" game; i.e. one that doesn't involve punishing you for dying or missing a jump.
    Like you said, some jumps in Mario can be tricky and if he keeps getting reset to the start and eventually runs out of lives, that could be pretty frustrating for him.

Lego Star Wars on PS2 sounds like the kind of game for him, reviews all mentioned the infinite lives and the way it encourages exploring etc. by not punishing you for dying and that - but I've been warned to *NOT* touch the DS version, as apparently it's riddled with bugs.
  • repairmanjack 10 Oct 2006 09:35:26 6,042 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Electroplankton. There's no point to it, and it makes noise. Same as every other toy you'd get for a five-year-old.
  • FairgroundTown 10 Oct 2006 09:39:02 2,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Depends, my little cousins where all brought up on N64 games and at the age of 5 had completed Zelda OOT and Mario 64.
    Sorry... but I simply don't believe this. (And I used to teach primary school, so I have known a LOT of five-year-olds.) If they did complete them, it was with so much help that by any true definition they were not complete. (An exceptionally well-co-ordinated five year old might be able to complete a single-task game, like a racing game, but the range / combination of button presses required to beat the bosses in OOT is beyond any five-year-old - if only because their hands are too small. Plus any five year old that had the intellectual capacity to solve the puzzles in OOT is a genius, who would now (as a 13-year-old) have a PhD in maths.)
  • FairgroundTown 10 Oct 2006 09:41:09 2,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fairlane wrote:
    For some reson he loves Cars the movie ( I thought it was piss boring).
    My three-year-old loves Cars, but I agree with you - I just don't get it!
  • PES_Fanboy 10 Oct 2006 09:43:09 15,857 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My 5-year-old nephew has completed Star Wars Lego. But he had the invincibility cheat on. Which is a bit of an odd cheat, given that you have infinite lives anyway.

He loves the game, he doesn't play often, nor does he watch TV often, but when he does he always plays SWL. So, if that's available for the DS, I'd go with that.
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2006 09:44:41 22,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    he always plays SWL. So, if that's available for the DS, I'd go with that.

No! From feedback in the forums I hear that game is absolutely, well and truly broken. Rushed out and buggy as hell.
  • Fairlane 10 Oct 2006 09:50:06 112 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its got something to with mom and dad not living together anymore - he likes to play on my 360 (lego starwars) - so its kind of a substitute (or maybe guilt thing :-)

Any knowlegde on Cars, Over the Hedge or Ice Age II

I know - wouldnt buy them for me, but since it's not for me.......
  • Kay 10 Oct 2006 10:34:55 17,884 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My brother completed Super Mario World when he was 6. He's now just been predicted 4 A's at college and has applied to Oxford. Go figure.

K

Edited by Kay at 10:35:14 10-10-2006
  • joey 10 Oct 2006 12:21:49 297 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a 5yr old boy, and he loves my DS.

Tried him with many games, he gets on best with the mini games in Mario 64, and Wario Touched (the playroom has many little toys he loves)

Going to try him on Aminal Crossing next. May be Nintendogs also.

Have to say the game he gets on best with is Burnout, not the latest but the one before on the PS2 and the PSP version, set it to take down mode and the first USA track, it's a very forgiving game control wise and he loves the smash-up's.

Most stuuf aimed at kids is cack platformers, which I dont actually think they like at all.
  • PinkSpider 10 Oct 2006 18:07:56 3,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    PinkSpider wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Sorry... but I simply don't believe this. (And I used to teach primary school, so I have known a LOT of five-year-olds.) If they did complete them, it was with so much help that by any true definition they were not complete. (An exceptionally well-co-ordinated five year old might be able to complete a single-task game, like a racing game, but the range / combination of button presses required to beat the bosses in OOT is beyond any five-year-old - if only because their hands are too small. Plus any five year old that had the intellectual capacity to solve the puzzles in OOT is a genius, who would now (as a 13-year-old) have a PhD in maths.)
    Okay, he could have been 6/7 but still OOT, this scares me lots as I have been playing games for 15 years now and still could never comprehend it. (my mother has also completed OOT, the furthest I have achieved is the fire temple).

At the age of 5 I can quite clearly remember being able to get to the third/ fourth world of Super Mario Bros 3.

Edited by PinkSpider at 18:08:36 10-10-2006

Edited by PinkSpider at 18:09:16 10-10-2006
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous