Max Payne 3 Official Thread of Slow Motion Awesomeness Page 4

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• krushing 24 Jun 2009 14:55:28 776 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I, for one, am kinda glad that the two-penny Chandler pastiche is done with. Whether this is the right direction to take it - can't say, but I'm pretty sure the designers have at least *some* idea what people liked about the previous games, beyond the obvious and now-almost-standard slo-mo and grimy environments.
  • MetalDog 24 Jun 2009 16:14:52 23,706 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    What made MP was slow-motion, diving gunplay. The Noir setting was icing.

If they don't do justice to one of my all time favourite games I will be very upset.

I liked that lots too - but the cheesy noir was the cake for me =)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• silentbob 24 Jun 2009 22:50:50 28,919 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pfft! Watch a movie bitch!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• the_dudefather 24 Jun 2009 23:43:59 8,989 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope the new game has TV shows like in Max payne 2, so much time in the game was spent crouched on a sofa aiming at the TV through a sniper scope

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• absolutezero 25 Jun 2009 01:33:58 7,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    aaaahhhhh just re-installed Payne 2.

ITS PAYNE GET 'IM. I'd forgotten just how much Stranglehold thiefed from it, bullet cam, swishing reloads in slow mo, the works.

The characters still look a bit odd but then again they looked odd even when the game first came out.
  • Fizzog 25 Jun 2009 02:25:11 4,108 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was unsure about this the first time I saw it but now I'm starting to warm to the the idea, they could of released a third game with the exact same gameplay and setting as the first 2 games but it would of seemed extremely dated and unoriginal.

I'm glad the developers are trying something different with the I.P personally. Afterall, weren't the original games different from any other action games released at the time and wasn't that what made them good?
  • Paperghost 25 Jun 2009 10:14:01 1,702 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:The characters still look a bit odd but then again they looked odd even when the game first came out.

i always quite liked that payne reminded me a bit of albert steptoe because of some of those ultra fugly grins he pulled. made a change from chiselled good looks. the hideous shirt was the icing on the cake.

Fizzog wrote:
    I was unsure about this the first time I saw it but now I'm starting to warm to the the idea, they could of released a third game with the exact same gameplay and setting as the first 2 games but it would of seemed extremely dated and unoriginal.

I'm glad the developers are trying something different with the I.P personally. Afterall, weren't the original games different from any other action games released at the time and wasn't that what made them good?

accounting for the fact we've only seen a few screenies so far and the whole thing *could* be totally different from what's on view so far.....

....is it really that "different"? looks like a mashup of uncharted, ghost recon and stranglehold, with nothing leaping out and going THIS IS MAX PAYNE, ARE YOU EXCITED YET?

there's still a crapload of new and / or innovative stuff they could have done with the game still set in new york, and it'd have been much easier to keep the noir trappings.

if it's all set in Brazil (and it's possible, given the press blurbs so far) it's "newness" so far seems like it'll probably consist of

1) lots of brightly lit, isn't-it-lush jungle type environments
    2) gotta have those bloom effects where brightly lit environments are concerned, looks pretty
    3) a cover system that's "optional" (read: you can choose not to use it, but you'll probably be battling against game mechanics if you do)
    4) little to no chance to build on previous themes (seems like it'll be tricky to work in the whole Norse mythology stuff in Brazil - somehow the gothic feel of the NY environments brought that stuff to life, can't see it happening with shanty towns and the like)
    5) lots of faceless, quasi-terrorist bad guys (look at them in the screenshots, they've been choppered in from ghost recon)

i can see why people wouldn't be keen, given they've also ditched the voice actor, changed paynes look to an extreme degree and dumped him in some sort of Man on Fire plot in brazil. seems to me they had some spare IP sitting round doing nothing and decided to lob max payne in there in the most tenuous way possible. i'm keeping the door open to be pleasantly surprised, but so far - and you'd think they'd want to make a definitive statement of what you can expect from the game with their initial press splash - it doesn't look, feel or taste like max payne.

and they ditched his hideous shirts too! oh, there will be blood...
  • Machetazo 17 Jan 2010 14:13:50 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could this be true?
    What are Rockstar doing, if so. :( It's true that this is third-hand info technically, like the Red Dead concerns (have they been debunked, by any manner of legitimate, authoritative source). I was surprised not to see the coat most, at first, but it's surely fitting with the narrative, wherever that is, and neither fitting of the Max they've presented. What a bad state of affairs.
    I'm not hugely in to following their games, but some times, I think they will bring out a game that gives us what we're looking for, but still fresh that it incites talk, and excitement. A new Max Payne/Midnight Club top the list of mine, for those best chances. For now, more waiting.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:47:24
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • urban 18 Jun 2011 11:45:00 10,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Where the hell is Max Payne 3?

The game was originally scheduled for release in late 2009. However, it was pushed back to 2010 alongside several other Take-Two Interactive franchises in order to "benefit from having more development time." In June 2010, the game was again pushed back to 2011. On December 21, it was not present on the 2011-2012 calendar year, and was pushed back again

Is something rotten in denver or are they just being really particular? Implementing LA Noire tech maybe?
  • BillMurray 18 Jun 2011 12:59:05 7,239 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wasn't that long ago Edge did a cover feature on the game if I recall.
  • LionheartDJH 18 Jun 2011 13:05:35 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why would they spend all that much implementing 'LA Noire tech' when the story is mostly told through those graphic novels? Unless they're taking that out of course, which would be a nail in the coffin for sticking with the source material.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Deleted user 19 June 2011 16:12:27
    Plus a total waste of development time from my perspective.
    Delay the release by a year to put in facial capture technology? No way.

Looks to me like one of those repeat delays when a game is terminally sick, later being released after years of 'polish' with inherently broken gameplay, terrible story and dated graphics.

But i'm an optimist!
  • frugtkompot 19 Jun 2011 19:38:36 2,818 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You mean like Red Dead Redemption?

Bring it on.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Sep 2011 10:08:07 3,118 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone seen this?

Hope they can make their money back......

:/

"Look at banner Michael!"

• Deleted user 11 September 2011 10:29:38
    Bollocks if I'd known someone had already done a thread I would't have made mine. The trailer goes live wednesday btw,
  • ModishNouns 11 Sep 2011 11:22:32 4,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is this what AAA development has become? Crowding out all competition by inflating budgets, knowing that only the most affluent and / or most foolish will be able to match? Doesn't this make anyone else sick to their stomach?

This is why I could never be a business man. I just don't understand that. Why does a $105M spend by Rockstar crowd out the competition? Is most of that on marketing and launch hype?
  • Deckard1 11 Sep 2011 11:27:43 25,526 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was just about to post something similar. Why does it make him sick to his stomach? "They spent a lot of money making their game!! Those bastard!!"

Called it

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Sep 2011 13:01:40 3,118 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Come on then, whose good at maths?

How many copies of Max 3 would Rockstar have to sell to make their money back?

• Deleted user 11 September 2011 13:12:59
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Come on then, whose good at maths?

How many copies of Max 3 would Rockstar have to sell to make their money back?

Well they need to selll 4m to break even.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Sep 2011 14:54:11 3,118 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well thats............doubtful?

• Derblington 11 Sep 2011 15:32:33 20,985 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They'll make 4 mill. Unless the game is terrible (doubtful), an 80-ish Metacritic will sell it on R*s name alone.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2011 15:38:31
    I reckon it will sell over 4m easily. If LA noire can do it and this looks to be better then that game.
  • coomber 11 Sep 2011 16:19:38 309 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep. As someone who fell for the LA Noire hype, I'm sure plenty of people will buy this. Hopefully Max Payne 3 will be worth the hype.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Sep 2011 16:57:24 3,118 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    They'll make 4 mill. Unless the game is terrible (doubtful), an 80-ish Metacritic will sell it on R*s name alone.

You say that, but LA Noire is currently 89 on Metacritic and is nowhere near 4 million.

• senso-ji 11 Sep 2011 17:02:13 5,330 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know how similar this is to the the first two, but if it doesn't have a decent MP then it won't make 4 million units.
  • Fake_Blood 11 Sep 2011 17:23:46 3,839 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can't do MP Max Payne, can't do bullettime.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 11 Sep 2011 17:26:33 10,788 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this still supposed to have playable flashback scenes of pre-skinhead Max Payne or is it all set in Brazil?
  • Page

of 48 First / Last