Max Payne 3 Official Thread of Slow Motion Awesomeness Page 48

• Page

of 49 First / Last

• YenooR 5 Aug 2013 23:59:41 540 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just started this,playing on normal and finding it quite difficult. One question I want to ask what is the best aim mode Hard,Soft or free aim?
  • WoodenSpoon 6 Aug 2013 00:19:01 12,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I preferred soft lock. Free aim is for masochists.
  • bobdebob 6 Aug 2013 01:07:31 601 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Free Aim.

MP in soft aim is completely fucked due to the OHK rifle and dual smgs, so better to learn free aim in SP.

I'm slightly disappointed that Max Payne 3 took no cues from Stranglehold and bring it ever closer to that John Woo feel.
  • Skinja 6 Aug 2013 01:09:28 74 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Free aim all the way. I found it way too easy with soft lock in most parts. I actually found the dudes in body armor harder in soft lock because I would always aim for their chest.
  • YenooR 19 Aug 2013 09:44:08 540 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished this a couple of days ago. Really enjoyed it.Good game.
  • -Amelia 29 Jul 2016 10:41:12 2,590 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    God I need to play this again. Currently rocking the brilliant soundtrack, I must have completed the game half a dozen times and I loved every minute. For sure in my top 5 of the last generation. I wonder if it's on that ps3 streaming thing and if it runs okay?
  • SomaticSense 29 Jul 2016 11:14:20 13,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I loved this.

I'd defintely be down for a PS4 port so I can relive it again.
  • Salaman 29 Jul 2016 11:20:53 21,752 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a half completed play through still going. Every time I try to go back to it, I get confused with the control layout, doing lots of slow mo dives by accident, running down all my bullet time and being forced to then shoot baddies in real time.

I should really sit down an finish it though. Maybe when the summer weather is gone.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jul 2016 11:22:22 17,506 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This sadly gave me horrendous motion sickness so I had to dump it...
  • WoodenSpoon 29 Jul 2016 14:37:48 12,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Would have had this installed since launch if I could skip the cutscenes.

The gunplay is so satisfying, it'd be the perfect game to jump into and shoot some henchmen every now and again, but you're forced to sit through all the story bits for no reason. Ruins it for me :(
  • Decks 29 Jul 2016 14:40:30 4,100 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    It's loading during the cutscenes. I may be mis-remembering but I'm pretty sure you can skip them once its finished loading in the background.
  • WoodenSpoon 29 Jul 2016 14:46:11 12,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you play the time trial mode though the game starts up straight away. You still have to sit through the mid-mission chats but the pre-mission cut scenes where is claims the levels are loading aren't there.
  • drhickman1983 29 Jul 2016 14:51:29 3,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started replaying it the other day (well, I say replay, I played through the first few levels and I'm unsure if I'll go back to finish the play through).

I actually really like the story bits, mainly because I find Max's lines just amazing. His hard-boiled internal monologues are possibly amongst my favourite lines from any game, ever. And for some reason I quite like "broken" characters who find some sort of redemption. Though yeah, having to sit through them over and over would be a bit much.

Isn't there a score attack mode which strips the story bits out, though?
  • WoodenSpoon 29 Jul 2016 15:57:26 12,339 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There is but you still have to sit through the mid-level cut scenes, and they feel like they take forever when all you want to do is hit the shooty shooty bits.
  • JiveHound 29 Jul 2016 16:09:12 5,929 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hoping this comes to back cat now that Red Dead has. It was slow to get going but when it does it's a blast. One of my favourite games of last gen.
  • Ultrasoundwave 29 Jul 2016 16:10:19 4,981 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Love this game. One of my top 5 from the last generation.

Got to be on the "to do list" for Xbox One Backwards Compatibility, Shirley?
  • addyb 29 Jul 2016 16:37:36 5,832 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep I loved this last gen. Hopefully it will come to BC.
  • Tomo 29 Jul 2016 17:26:16 14,828 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was rrrrrrubbish compared to the first two! So horribly linear and repetitive. It's like the designers were lobotomised in between 2 and 3 :/
  • dfunked 29 Jul 2016 17:28:34 5,154 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was made by totally different people... No more linear or repetitive than the first two, either imo.

I loved it. Nice gunplay, lovely graphics (I need to revisit it on PC, actually) and a great soundtrack.
    Really enjoyed the story too

Edited by dfunked at 17:31:31 29-07-2016
  • -Amelia 29 Jul 2016 17:43:38 2,590 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    All 3 were sublime. 3 is by far the best now as the first two haven't aged that well.

As mentioned I loved the story and characters. Xx
  • addyb 29 Jul 2016 17:45:37 5,832 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    It was rrrrrrubbish compared to the first two! So horribly linear and repetitive. It's like the designers were lobotomised in between 2 and 3 :/
    Just like the first two then?
  • TheHammerite 29 Jul 2016 18:08:12 2,478 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Always been intrigued by this game without playing it. The first 2 were utterly sublime!
  • Baihu1983 29 Jul 2016 18:27:24 6,618 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    1 and 2 = made by Remedy
    3 = made by R*
  • Ultrasoundwave 29 Jul 2016 18:49:32 4,981 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    The entire series is linear and repetitive, 3 is the best (by a mile) though because everything surrounding the linearity and repetitiveness is better. The story, the writing and the acting is excellent, plus there is a better variation in the environments.

The favela is amazing, the flashback to Max in New York is sublime and it's all complimented by a superb soundtrack.

Rockstar nailed it IMO.
  • FrostPan 29 Jul 2016 21:45:50 818 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Max Payne 3 is definitely the best in terms of gameplay and is obviously the game to play nowadays rather than the predecessors. But I loved the original Max Payne. The depressing yet cynical monologues, the atmosphere and the ridiculous facial capture that was used for Max, ahh love it. Gameplay, while obviously rudimentary compared to the latest game was fun too.

Personally thought Max Payne 2 was forgettable. Can't remember it much at all.

But Max Payne 3 is great. Thought Max's friend was a bit of bellend though and the story was so-so for me. Can't seem to remember whether I was impressed with the last level, but I'm going to with thinking it was really good. Also, could have sworn you were able to use grenades in the previous games, but for some reason in 3, it's no can-do.
  • Blurp 29 Jul 2016 21:50:00 431 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    It runs beautifully on PC.
  • Bauul 29 Jul 2016 22:25:05 844 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I never finished it, and I was a massive fan of the first two. I think I got bored by it to be honest, it was a pretty long game!

The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was the disconnect between Max in the cutscenes and Max in the gameplay.

Cutscene Max:
    Oh I'm such a waste. I can't do anything right. Everyone I knows dies. I'm useless and have a habit of being captured by being an idiot.

Gameplay Max:
    *Executes perfect headshot while flying eight feet in the air before taking out an entire army by himself without a scratch, clearly demonstrating he's the greatest gunman who ever lived and is essentially Neo from the Matrix*

Cutscene Max:
    OMG I'm such a loser.
  • -Amelia 29 Jul 2016 22:27:35 2,590 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Yeah he is an expert at killing people. That doesn't mean he can't be a depressed drunk. In 3 when you dive and hit a wall max really feels it and lands in a crumpled mess and takes ages to get up. He's old, depressed, hates the world but he still is ninja with a gun.
  • ecu 29 Jul 2016 22:47:41 79,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blurp wrote:
    It runs beautifully on PC.
    I've had it on Steam for ages, but whenever I get an impulse I play it I go to download and it's 30gb..

I already finished it on 360 and loved it. Fantastic game.
  • Bauul 30 Jul 2016 00:27:43 844 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Kichi Remember that scene where you spend 30 minutes mowing down the entire criminal population of the Rio slums, diving through windows and head shooting everyone, and then when you finally reach the small hut with the three guys holding the hostages, a cutscene starts and Max just walks in the front door, drops his gun and instantly surrenders?

I could have screamed at the TV. My Max would have leapt though the skylight and filled the three guys with lead before I hit the floor. The cutscene Max was an idiot!
  • Page

of 49 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.