Max Payne 3 Official Thread of Slow Motion Awesomeness Page 46

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 01:13:34
    That was my biggest bind with the game. Fighting the controls throughout.
  • bad09 27 Jan 2013 08:55:37 5,759 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For me it wasn't the fact you can't skip cut scenes it was what they were doing on in those cut scenes with all the blurring and flashes and lines every 2 seconds. Because the game is so sexy looking I wouldn't mind the many, many unskippable cut scenes as it is good to look at but they actually gave me a headache a couple of times with all the junk that ruins the screen.

Good game apart from that though I'm near the end myself and it may not be "Max Payne" in many ways but I've enjoyed what Rockstar did a lot, even had a look at multiplayer which was amusing.
  • Gunzberg 27 Jan 2013 09:00:41 1,731 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just completed it. Loved it.

But did every cut-scene really need a stylized graphical effect ? And if I want to replay from a checkpoint do I really need to watch a 3min cutscene every time ?

Apart from that awesome game, story is in retrospect a bit of a mess actually.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• CharlieStCloud 27 Jan 2013 09:42:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My favourite cutscene in the whole game was the one in maybe the second level/mission in which you are going through a nightclub and onto the rooftops (I think...) ...

... it was when those burly dudes started approaching the dance floor and took the girl who is the daughter of the 'top man' then started shooting. I saw Max running for the window whilst pushing someone out of the way and then I suddenly realised that you were in control of him.

The moment not only took me by surprise, but it was so seamless that I forgot where the cutscene ends and the player is in control again. Plus, it was totally cool too!

Had a big huge smile on my face throughout that.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 12:01:00
    Yeah, I thought that a few times. Like when max jumps out the control booth in the stadium and when he jumps out the flying boat. Amazing.

I personally loved to style but understand it may give people headaches.
  • FabricatedLunatic 27 Jan 2013 12:14:42 12,996 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Yeah it is a very hard game. I've completed it on hard but it is actually the most fun on easy.
    I wish I'd skipped Hard and gone straight to Old School. Enemies do roughly the same amount of damage on both difficulties, but Old School gives you a bigger bullet-time meter and is therefore easier than Hard. Or at least I thought so.
  • Adamical 27 Jan 2013 15:35:24 314 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does anyone else wish you could control just how slow bullet time is?

Making things really slow every once in a while would be incredibly cinematic and cool.
  • greg_wha 27 Jan 2013 19:21:07 191 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bought this along with Dark Souls and Batman AC the other week and thought I'd try this first. Can't seem to get into it though. Only got as far as chapter 3 and I've ditched it for Arkam for now. Think I'm making the mistake of using Gears of War style cover shooting. Which is obviously missing the point. I'm only playing on normal though and I'm getting beaten the fuck down!

Ps; anyone else have problems getting the free map pack to install? Downloads and installs but it doesn't seem to worl properly.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 19:24:35
    Just play on easy, still pretty tough. Don't play it like gears, makes it harder. You need to play aggressive and use bullet time whenever you have it. If you still struggling use soft lock to quickly snap between targets by releasing lt and snapping it elsewhere.
  • Lexx87 27 Jan 2013 20:38:19 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah you really cant hide out like gears they will flank you, it's proper balls out shooting I loved it.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 22:32:22
    Y story shit? I enjoyed it
  • Lexx87 28 Jan 2013 00:07:23 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Story was better than the gameplay itself for me heh

Speak the truth hussy!

• Tuffty 28 Jan 2013 09:28:51 1,532 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brilliant game to play, I still pop it in now and again just to shoot dudes like with the MP1 & 2. The setpiece moments are really fantastic like the nightclub and shooting the chain to pull you up. Story was fine, just some things really stood out that goes against the story/character. For example, Max just lets Serrano go? He's a scumbag who you're up against for half the game, culminating to a point where he point blank executes an innocent woman in front of Max...yet Max does nothing to avenge her when given the opportunity. Despite the fact that earlier in the game, Max shot a guy in the face for so much as hitting a woman around the face! Yeh let Serrano have his moment with the surgeon, but christ man, kill him when he's done! Or at least leave it up to the player as a choice on whether you let him live or die.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 13:09:34
    You are missing the point of max personal journey, he also kind of says why he leaves him.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 13:37:59
    Friggin' loved this although I will agree that the aiming felt just a little bit off. When it goes your way though only Halo matches it for pure shooty adrenaline in my opinion.

May have to repurchase and have another runthrough before gta5. Especially as they've fixed the strange stick swap sniper glitch.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 13:40:26
    Do it :) I'm just finishing the office level on fourth playthrough. Forgot the great bit with the the jeep crashing.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 17:05:59
    Fully in love with this game again. The variety in locations is wonderful. The animations perhaps the best in the business, the ways it adapts to what you are equipped with.

When you played it as much as me you really start to noticed subtle character traits and intentions that perhaps go unnoticed on a single playthrough.

Shame rockstar dedicated so much time to mp dlc as I would have loved more sp and I never could get into the online stuff, nice ideas but just found it dull.

Single player grinds, 100 points for it, I got most but there are a few I long way off such as blind fire and melee kills.

Nearly at the bus depot.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 17:13:17
    It'd be great if you could play MP3 co-op.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Jan 2013 17:16:13 37,656 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, or at least have some kind of co-op mode.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 28 January 2013 17:16:44
    Yeah that could have been a dlc, a few co op levels. The issue would always be bullet time though. Would be irritating having others start bullet time.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 17:20:59
    Actually that's a very good point and of course why there is no co-op. Ooops.
  • frugtkompot 9 Feb 2013 17:46:20 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally finished it. This and the later Call of Duty games are among my biggest disappointments this generation. Classic "shooting ducks" element rinse and repeat for 10+ hours - especially on some of the later levels. Lazy design throughout though, and it felt like the only escalating sense of challenge was that it started throwing you up against more and more guys at the same time, had fewer checkpoints and generally put you into scenarios that you couldn't possibly hope to live through it. Very difficult game too, which doesn't really appeal to me in fairness.

The mechanics were great, and more fun on easy, but I struggle to recall anything that I ended up having a positive lasting impression about.

Real shame and a missed opportunity.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2013 19:21:21
    Oh it just increased enemy numbers? It didn't add armour? Helmets? Heavier weapons? More aggressive ai?

Checkpoints don't increase in distance either.

Played five minutes yesterday on friends new pc. Max settings everything, very pretty but the main difference I noticed was tge frame rate.
  • puddleduck 10 Feb 2013 19:26:51 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Co-op bullet time could work if you just have one bar between the two of you type thing. Would encourage more of a team element of using it at the right moments to create an epic double BT moment :) Would only probably work with an actual mate rather than randoms though.
  • welshben23 12 Feb 2013 11:35:57 1,079 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    This is a pretty good game. Only bad thing were that the story was complete shit and the unskipable cutscenes. The gameplay however was superb. Max Payne 3 really should have been getting the GOTY awards last year.
    Were you taking some mind-bending narcotics that day?! It's a good..ish game, but GOTY? HAHAHAHA!
  • Nades 12 Feb 2013 12:25:16 1,169 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, but didn't have that Max Payne feel to the game for me :/

Liverpool FC

• killersrquiet 12 Feb 2013 17:28:01 1,921 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, but didn't have that Max Payne feel to the game for me :/
    Lost some of the noir feeling and overall tone of the first two games. Regardless it did deserve more recognition and sales success
  • glaeken 12 Feb 2013 17:34:47 11,123 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really enjoyed it but thought it could have really benefited from a game plus mode that stripped out the cuts scenes and just enabled you to have a blast. The cut scenes just interrupted the game play too much for subsequent plays.

It was also crying out for some sort of horde mode. It would have been perfect for that type of mode.
  • ModishNouns 26 Feb 2013 14:15:17 4,655 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is brilliant. It's a bit tough for my soggy middle-aged reflexes so I have to admit to dropping the difficulty to easy but I've loved every minute of it so far.

The cheese-noir script, comic book presentation and the way it all fuses together to make you feel like a complete baddass as your slow-motion slugs thunk into a baddy's throat have kept me grinning constantly since I first pressed Start.

I should have got this on day one.
  • Page

of 48 First / Last