Shaving....

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • pjmaybe 2 Oct 2006 12:37:32 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is possibly the strangest thread for a monday morning but...

What do you shave with? Wet or Dry?

Reason I ask - The missus bought me one of those weird new Gillette things, a wet shaver that sorta vibrates (I think It's called a Fusion).

I was quite grateful as my trusty old wet razor was ripping my face to bits but then I found out how much the feckin' thing cost for those 6 blades, a spare set of 4 extra blades and the weird blue shaving gel

20 quid.

20 FECKIN' QUID!!!!!

Still, I look forward to Wilkinson Sword's new 7 blader which must inevitably follow.

So what do you lot shave with?

Peej
  • BravoGolf Moderator 2 Oct 2006 12:39:16 12,745 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have an electric dry shaver thing but I never really use it since I let the stubble grow too long before shaving (dry thing is only good for short hairs).

So I mostly use the red Mach 3 :-D
  • Load_2.0 2 Oct 2006 12:39:32 19,279 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gillette mach 3 and I use it until it becomes as blunt as a log.

• Murbal 2 Oct 2006 12:40:04 22,222 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mach 3, David Somerset oil. Followed by some nice post shave moisturiser. FTW etc.

A brief stint with an electric razor recently taught me not to f*** about with a shaving routine that works.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Oct 2006 12:40:25 35,557 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wet, because slapping cold foam on my face helps me wake up in the morning. But yeah, blades are ridiculously overpriced.
  • Tiger_Walts 2 Oct 2006 12:40:32 16,593 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I'm in a hurry I'll use a cheapo Bic on dry skin.

/is hard... with a sore face

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• TwistidChimp 2 Oct 2006 12:40:40 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use a Mach-3, with that nice cooling green gillette shaving gel stuff, that seems to expand far more than expected leading you to have to waste half of it or use it and end up looking vaguely santa-ish.

Yeah, then some nice nivia moisturiser afterwards. aah.. soothing.

Edited by TwistidChimp at 12:41:35 02-10-2006
  • kalel 2 Oct 2006 12:41:02 87,688 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use the vibrating mach 3 thing, it's pretty good. Those Fusion blades are too expensive, and 5 blade razors is just overkill imho.

I also use King of Shaves oil AND shaving foam together for ftuw.
  • Goban 2 Oct 2006 12:41:14 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wet shave, I have very dodgy skin so electric shavers are completely out of the question.

Mach3 with King of shaves stuff.
  • Pirotic Moderator 2 Oct 2006 12:41:35 20,647 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mach 3, they sent me a free one in the post years ago and i've been using it ever since. expensive blades but it is my neck after all.
  • Huntcjna 2 Oct 2006 12:41:51 13,876 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't shave and am growing a rather beautiful Matisyahu esque beard. However when I did shave I used my Braun dry shaver because any kind of wet shave breeds 100 spots on my face within 2 days.
  • BartonFink 2 Oct 2006 12:42:01 34,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have to use a wet shaver as electric ones are just not able for me freakin beard (it gets long quickly and hurts like hell). At the moment I have a Fusion and am using King of Shaves shaving gel.
  • strangeed 2 Oct 2006 12:42:25 629 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use one of those Wilkinson Quattro things and a badger hair brush. The blades cost an arm and a leg.
  • pjmaybe 2 Oct 2006 12:42:59 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would grow a beard but it goes ginger, so I can't :(

Weird though, my head hair (if I grow a Heiachi) isn't ginger.

ANYWAY, don't really understand why this thing's gotta vibrate as well as shave but it does give me a sodding close (almost too close) shave, I guess.

Peej
  • glo 2 Oct 2006 12:43:04 3,425 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Another Mach-3 and King of Shaves user here. Only need to shave every 3-4 days as long stubble is acceptable in academia. A set of blades therefore lasts me a great deal of time...
  • plok 2 Oct 2006 12:43:46 1,296 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tesco Value disposables...10 for about 30p....what more do you need...ah some shaving foam and water...but thats it.

/is a student who could grow a facial hair if left for a year
  • Angel_Treats 2 Oct 2006 12:43:47 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A cheap Boots own brand bloke's razor and a bit of lathered up shower gel. I am not a very hairy person though.

I acquired an epilator the other day from Rubes and had a go at it yesterday - apparently most people find it very sore but I didn't at all and was pleased with the results - like waxing but without the mess and the trip to the beautician. So will probably use that from now on.
  • thehat 2 Oct 2006 12:44:09 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shave stright from the shower == no foam/cream etc.

I use a mach3 with a 4 month old blade currently.

/is tight
    /doesn't mind the sight of blood
  • TwistidChimp 2 Oct 2006 12:44:22 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the Mach3 blades are pretty damn expensive, but I find so long as I take good care of them, a pack of 5 lasts me absolutley ages.

The adverts for mens shaving stuff still makes me laugh. Always sodding F1 cars and fighterjets. Cutting hair off your face has never been more exciting.
  • BartonFink 2 Oct 2006 12:44:30 34,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

ANYWAY, don't really understand why this thing's gotta vibrate as well as shave but it does give me a sodding close (almost too close) shave, I guess.

Peej
    Something to do with stimulating the folicles afaik
  • Fat-Boy 2 Oct 2006 12:45:11 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I too have a Wilkinson Quattro and use cheapo Sainsbury's Own shaving foam. However, I despise shaving vehemently, so i'm not going to shave until someone tells me too. Gone two weeks so far, but due to my pre-pubescent facial hair growth (despite being 23!) the stubble is still fairly patchy.
  • Whizzo 2 Oct 2006 12:46:12 43,124 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blimey it's a real Mach-3 fanboi convention in here.

/signs up (I use one of the powered ones)

Electric razors and my skin really don't get on well.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Freek 2 Oct 2006 12:46:19 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wet, with shaving gel. Wilkinson Quatro Titanium. Actaully does what it says on the tin: shave without irritation.

I seriously get the impression that Gillette has decended into madness. Unable to figure out how to gain more market share they've resulted to gimmickry and weird styling of the products.
  • Stickman 2 Oct 2006 12:47:06 29,666 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mach 3 for me, and King of Shaves gel stuff as you can actually judge how much you need.

Has anyone, anywhere, ever used shaving gel and not had a bucket load of foam left over?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Goban 2 Oct 2006 12:47:26 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grew a beard recently which turned out quite well, unfortunately beards, long hair and summer is loathesome.

Beard has ginger streaks in it so looks quite odd, even though hair is dark.

Really hate shaving :(
  • Stickman 2 Oct 2006 12:48:26 29,666 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was meant as a pisstake!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• pjmaybe 2 Oct 2006 12:48:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    A cheap Boots own brand bloke's razor and a bit of lathered up shower gel. I am not a very hairy person though.

I acquired an epilator the other day from Rubes and had a go at it yesterday - apparently most people find it very sore but I didn't at all and was pleased with the results - like waxing but without the mess and the trip to the beautician. So will probably use that from now on.

The missus tried to epilate my head t'other week as she's just bought one of those new ones that sounds like a feckin' lawn strimmer.

My god, I don't think I've ever been in pain like that.

So from now on, just call me Freddy Kreuger :)

Oh and Stickman - that gel stuff, the Fusion stuff is worse, only a little finger full and it seems to expand like gawd knows what.

Peej
  • Tiger_Walts 2 Oct 2006 12:49:40 16,593 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I actually prefer using my double bladed bics dry as I can just bash it against the sink and all the hair comes out. With a wet shave it all sticks in there and I have to spend time and effort cleaning the thing.

I also prefer not to have a really close shave as it itches to buggery when it grows back from that.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Grunk 2 Oct 2006 12:50:51 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cut throat razor
    shaving soap
    horse bristle brush

all the new razors have too many blades for me, which gives me in growing hairs as they are so curly, cut throat razor gives me the best shave
  • oneiros 2 Oct 2006 12:51:19 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gillette Mach 3 Turbo and Nitro Gel, followed by King Of Shaves ASC^2 balm.

/tingles

Grunk wrote:
    cut throat razor
    Really? I was given one a few years ago, but haven't dared try it...

Edited by oneiros at 12:52:46 02-10-2006
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous