of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Bill_Gates_Bitch 1 Oct 2006 08:53:02 87 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted at 09:24:33 27-11-2006
  • AdamWest 1 Oct 2006 09:01:23 715 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, everything Sony is doing is bankrupting Sony. PS3 you're our only hope.
  • valli 1 Oct 2006 09:14:42 14,114 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bill_Gates_Bitch copy pasted lots of tat:
    TLDR
  • Genji 1 Oct 2006 09:30:40 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get rid of all of the quoted stuff, and just link the article. Please.
  • Bill_Gates_Bitch 1 Oct 2006 09:51:45 87 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wonga wrote:
    If this is true, I'm definetely getting a PS3, I want to help them out.

Don't forget to work overtime to afford all the extras. ;)
  • PES_Fanboy 1 Oct 2006 10:08:48 11,727 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's odd though, how what should have been the safest upgrade in gaming has somehow turned into a potentially huge loss-leading farce.

The timing of this console is all wrong, it's like they're trying to do Next Gen + 0.5 or something.

They either should've put it out last year, minus the contraversial, high-priced tech, or waited another year, and kept things under wraps a bit more, which would've resulted in better continued support for the PS2 and much less public embarrassment.

In going for the next few quarters, they're competing against an established console that's in the 'same' Gen, with allegedly no real equivalent performance differential, with largely the same sort of catalogue of games.

When the SNES came out, it could compete against the upstart Megadrive (which was established, and in my mind this is the direct comparison you can draw), BECAUSE it was clearly technically superior, AND had markedly different games from release day....and it was about the same amount of money to buy.
  • Tonka 1 Oct 2006 11:12:19 19,840 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wonga wrote:

From the article.
    But purchasing a PS3 this year could be the very thing that pushes Sony over the edge.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Xerx3s 1 Oct 2006 11:14:08 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh dear. You just had to bring this up, did you?
  • THFourteen 1 Oct 2006 11:18:48 31,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lol enjoyed reading that...

won't be buying a next gen console myself... only ever played pro evo on my xbox, and getting a 360 pad and a pc version of the new pro evo this time round.
  • Fubdub 1 Oct 2006 11:27:26 270 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That article is pretty flawed, first it states that Sony has $9 billion in the bank, then it goes on to claim that a loss of $3-4 billion will bankerupt them. (The sudden loss from $300 to $400 seems puzzleing as well) Also, he decides to disregard game and periphal sales for no other reason than to say that Sony had lost alot of exclusives also the PS2 is still going strong and will probably sell more unit than any console this Christmas, plus tons of games.

It also compares Sony Pictures flagship for this season with one of the best selling films of all time Pirates of the Caribbean 2, of course it's gonna loose out, so is any studio except Disney.

The article completely disregards the fact that components will get cheaper very quickly (Though magically remembers it for Xbox), the $300 loss per console (let alone $400) will go down within a year (if it was even that high to begin with, it's only speculation)

Last but not least, MS would never acquire SCE, first of all antitrust measures would prevent it, second i think Sony is too tied in with their gaming division, they would sell off Sony Pictures and Sony Music before letting their gaming division go, Sony is after all at heart a electronics company. Also if Sony got into any real trouble, the Japanese government would bail them out.

This article is written to generate hits, and it has worked, it's been quoted practically anywhere remotely gaming related (from Slashdot to hardcore fan forums)

There is no doubt that Sony is gambleing, but I think the bet is alot safer than the article would make you believe.

Edited by Fubdub at 11:37:21 01-10-2006
  • SlackMaster 1 Oct 2006 11:27:34 3,132 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wonga wrote:

Somehow I think that this is all the fault of Microsofts insidious spin and PR.

You can only blame Sony for their own mistakes. I don't want them to sink as competition is good for the industry but they have made a lot of silly mistakes.

You can't blame MS or even Nintendo for monopolising on Sony's mistakes and failures.

I think that Sony stand to lose a lot of money on the PS3 and with such strong competition this gen will not be able to keep their prices high for long without loose too much market share.

Hopefully their PS2 and PSP will keep them afloat but I hope they do learn a lesson this gen.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• Deleted user 1 October 2006 11:32:31
    Wonga wrote:

Somehow I think that this is all the fault of Microsofts insidious spin and PR.

I'm with you on that.

/pre-orders PS3, just to keep Microsoft from taking over the world.
  • IronGiant 1 Oct 2006 11:36:02 4,422 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah ok so Sony haters the world over will now buy PS3's to sink Sony :) Go on then.
  • Fubdub 1 Oct 2006 11:42:34 270 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    Ah ok so Sony haters the world over will now buy PS3's to sink Sony :) Go on then.

Just like buying Xbox's sunk Microsoft right?
  • BartonFink 1 Oct 2006 11:44:44 34,790 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Just make sure you dont buy any games or peripherals for it.
    The games bit should be very easy initially ;)
  • El_MUERkO 1 Oct 2006 11:45:35 16,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    the ps3 will have out-sold the 360 in every territory by january 08 when we here that microsoft are working on a replacement
  • Xerx3s 1 Oct 2006 12:13:28 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TUESDAYS!! wrote:
    Wonga wrote:
    If this is true, I'm definitely getting a PS3, I want to help them out.

Somehow I think that this is all the fault of Microsoft's insidious spin and PR.

I'm with you on that.

And here was I thinking that this kind of stupidity was only limited to slash dot zealots.

El_MUERkO wrote:
    the ps3 will have out-sold the 360 in every territory by January 08 when we here that Microsoft are working on a replacement

I do think that the PS3 will outsell the 360 before the end of next year, I doubt however that they will make a new xbx any time soon (although you can bet your teddy bear on it that they will release the next one before the PS4).
  • Kami 1 Oct 2006 12:17:25 2,374 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it will be the PS3 that will kill Sony. Although I suspect it might hurt them like hell - as said, to recuperate losses Sony are probably going to force retailers to bundle up the PS3, and that may end up with an extra £100-£200 on top of the price.

No, it's not going to be the fatal blow but it's going to be a pretty hefty one for Sony. Their problem is quite simple, their market dominance is waning in the face of considerably better and cheaper competition, on almost all fronts. Thier laptop division is being surpassed, their portable music division is having its backside handed to it by Apple, their TV division isn't all that either. Sony's name for quality means jack when its competitors can deliver practically the same quality but cheaper, and this is going to be an issue for Sony in the coming years. Yes, of course we like the high-quality stuff, but if you can be reasonably assured that a cheaper alternative is available and is just as good if not better in some regards... Sony lose a sale.

And sadly, the same can be said of the gaming division. The PS3 is up against stiff competition from the strong and mighty powerhouse that is the X-Box 360 and the cheap, cheerful but totally unique and quite good-looking Nintendo Wii. And both of these companies have come out with the gloves off, and are ready this time to challenge the market dominance of Sony. The 360 itself, after a slow start, really is starting to look quite good and should hold its own. Nintendo seems to be relying on a sort of muffled cry for change, and is coming out with three of it's biggest names at launch to emphasise they mean business. Sony will come in last, when the market will have adopted two systems. It is Sony playing catch-up, and has to prove that it's worth the price tag they claim it will be.

No, the PS3 won't kill Sony. PS3 is not "teh d00m3d!". But Sony are the ones who have to justify their machine and the cost of it, and they haven't had a very good start... which is not a promising sign...

Edited by Kami at 12:18:09 01-10-2006

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Whizzo 1 Oct 2006 12:22:36 42,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And yet the PS2 will still be selling in big numbers this Christmas, Sony aren't going bust any time soon.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Shinji 1 Oct 2006 12:28:47 5,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed - that's what people always seem to forget when talking about SCE. PS2 doesn't disappear into a black hole as soon as next-gen appears - in fact, the PS2 will probably be the best-selling console in most parts of the world again this Christmas, and PS2 software will probably be top dog in terms of sales right up to Christmas 2007 if not beyond.
  • silentbob 1 Oct 2006 12:36:26 28,919 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The writer loses all credibility by the time they write:

Stop complaining that the PS3 costs $600. It doesn't. In order to cut down on its losses, Sony is liable to do the same thing to consumers that it did 11 years ago at the original Playstation launch -- it'll require that you buy two games in order to get a machine. That'll boost the price for you to around $725 or so.

But there's more! Want an HDMI cable? That'll be another $100 to $125. Now we're at $850 or so. You've got a Blu-ray player, so you'll want a few Blu-ray movies -- Sony titles only, of course. Buy six of them while you're at it! At an average list price of $25 each, we're talking another $150. That pushes our total price to an even $1,000.
    Oh deary me. Can you say POLEMIC!!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 1 October 2006 13:01:03
    Xerx3s wrote:
    TUESDAYS!! wrote:
    Wonga wrote:
    If this is true, I'm definitely getting a PS3, I want to help them out.

Somehow I think that this is all the fault of Microsoft's insidious spin and PR.

I'm with you on that.

And here was I thinking that this kind of stupidity was only limited to slash dot zealots.

Oh don't be like that. It's all a load of cobblers anyway, and I for one don't take it seriously, do you?
  • Sid-Nice 1 Oct 2006 13:30:15 15,811 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't see Sony producing 6 million PS3 consoles before the end of the fiscal year. Microsoft do have an unfair advantage when their Xbox games division can lose $2 Billion a year and they rejoice in the fact that they've shipped 5 million 360 consoles worldwide. If the Xbox 360 was a Sony or Nintendo machine; the RRP would have to be around the £400 mark.

What I want to know is how good will the PS3 look on a 720p HDTV? I have invested heavily into high definition buying a 50” and 32” HDTV and a 21” HD monitor; it will be at least 3 years before I purchase a new TV. The 1080p resolution will only be available in game consoles and HD DVD players; as there won’t be any broadcasts in 1080p in the foreseeable future. On average it costs £3000 more for a 50” 1080p HDTV than a similar 720p set. This is a huge extra amount to pay to marvel at the quality of a HD DVD. There is next to fuck all on the box in 720p and for what little entertainment the 360 has given me; I’m beginning to regret jumping on the high definition bandwagon too early.

I still think that the PS3 will be a huge success; I’ll buy one but I won’t invest in a 1080p HDTV. I just hope qualified doesn’t return and say “If you haven’t got a 1080p HDTV there’s really no point.”
    :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• DodgyPast 1 Oct 2006 14:31:10 8,338 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be surprised....

Whilst I agree Sony's getting slaughtered they're still putting out nice kit.
    I've got a 28" HD CRT which is gorgeous and much better value than anything else I could see at the time.

The author also completely fails to mention how they've been moving their brand succesfully into other high value electronics goods.... ever since the K750i their phones have been a much more common sight, and generally the users are very happy. Plus it appears they're gaining credibility in the camera market as well.... even having released an SLR.

To be blunt they're a well diversified company taking a large gamble that if they push Blu-ray correctly into the market they'll reap massive rewards... but if the PS3 and Blu-ray fail they'll still survive.

To me it seems like they do have a bit of a gambling instinct... and obviously they'll win some, and lose some.
    After all who'd have thought to take on Sega and Nintendo on their home turf? I'd sort of guess if they'd failed MS wouldn't have had the guts to have a go.

I'm not even a Sony fanboy.... but I use too many of they're products to not appreciate them.

Edited by DodgyPast at 14:32:39 01-10-2006
  • Stormflood 1 Oct 2006 14:37:48 2,263 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still think that the PS3 will be a huge success; I’ll buy one but I won’t invest in a 1080p HDTV. I just hope qualified doesn’t return and say “If you haven’t got a 1080p HDTV there’s really no point.”
    :)

Ah, so you won't want one of my tongue-in-cheek t-shirts then?

• technos 1 Oct 2006 15:44:36 1,345 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    seems over for sony.
  • gamingdave 1 Oct 2006 16:06:30 4,121 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whilst I do think, and have done so since the PSP, and lossing out to apple on the mp3 player market, that Sony are in trouble, and wont be as strong in the future. I dont think that article is very well reasoned.

Questioning exlucsive titles and multiplatform titles like that is wrong. "Sony has already said that games would be at least $10 more than the games for the XBox 360 and at least $20 more than the games for the Nintendo Wii. With everything being the same, would you pay $10 or $20 more for the same game that you could play on your XBox 360 or Wii?" Well perhaps because you only one the one console? Or because its a better version (most cetainly at least graphically than the Wii version).
  • BartonFink 1 Oct 2006 16:22:25 34,790 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's the cost of t3h real next gen being factored in ;)
  • Lex_Luthor 1 Oct 2006 16:27:32 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    That's the cost of t3h real next gen being factored in ;)

What?
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous