The Lost Odyssey Thread

  • Page

    of 67 First / Last

    Previous
  • morriss 29 Sep 2006 18:02:13 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just Dl'ed and watched the HDTailer from X06 on XBox Live. If the game looks anything like this I'm sold. The detail is stunning.

    Gameplay videos and a few screenies courtesy of IGN.

  • silentbob 29 Sep 2006 18:32:36 28,947 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You not allergic to Turn Based action morriss? Must be thinking of someone else.

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • Fubdub 29 Sep 2006 18:48:12 270 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the artstyle in this game.
  • morriss 29 Sep 2006 19:14:46 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    You not allergic to Turn Based action morriss? Must be thinking of someone else.
    No, not me. Love it, in fact. :)
  • Deleted user 29 September 2006 19:17:40
    /is allergic to turn-based

    Looks very nice, mind.
  • threefortrouble 30 Sep 2006 04:31:04 198 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    awesome looking game, beauti.

    When will it be out?
  • TripSkyway 30 Sep 2006 04:38:31 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The CG looks great, and the blend to real-time stuff is cool, but I dunno if I could cope with the demos 3:1 ratio of cut scenes to gameplay for a whole game. But it is a demo after all and I sure that wont be the case in the final game.

    Edited by Trip SkyWay at 04:38:57 30-09-2006
  • Aretak 30 Sep 2006 11:33:20 10,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The whole chanting people on towers and mass resurrection that results looks a bit sinister... I give odds of 3/1 that Japanese RPG Cliche #6291 (your character finds out that it's his country/government/ruler that're the bad guys) rears its head at some point. ;-)
  • Deleted user 20 October 2006 10:12:59
    New pictures have surfaced.

    Scroll down the page to see them - some are a bit blurry though.
  • glaeken 20 Oct 2006 10:21:36 11,086 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Although this looks good a few of the previews said it had random battles which puts me off a bit. It might not be a killer but I think it makes the game world a bit life less. It just feels like you are wondering around a film set until you hit the next random battle.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2006 10:25:05
    glaeken wrote:
    Although this looks good a few of the previews said it had random battles which puts me off a bit. It might not be a killer but I think it makes the game world a bit life less. It just feels like you are wondering around a film set until you hit the next random battle.

    Yes I don't know how I feel about that. I would rather have every enemy on the world map like in Blue Dragon, but while I'm going through Enchanted Arms with its random battles, I'm kind of enjoying it. It's a good way to level up quickly.
  • Aretak 20 Oct 2006 10:29:26 10,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love random battles... never really understood the problem with them myself (although the method of showing the enemies on the map ala Star Ocean 3 and Grandia works fine as well).
  • Megapocalypse 20 Oct 2006 10:31:17 5,309 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why at this stage in gaming are we still having random battles? Games like the Grandias, Symphonia etc are far better for having enemies or even just a representation of on enemy on the map. It adds life to the world. Even FF has moved away from them ffs.

    /will buy regardless
  • glaeken 20 Oct 2006 10:34:05 11,086 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    Although this looks good a few of the previews said it had random battles which puts me off a bit. It might not be a killer but I think it makes the game world a bit life less. It just feels like you are wondering around a film set until you hit the next random battle.

    Yes I don't know how I feel about that. I would rather have every enemy on the world map like in Blue Dragon, but while I'm going through Enchanted Arms with its random battles, I'm kind of enjoying it. It's a good way to level up quickly.

    Yeah I am enjoying Enchanted Arms as well so as I say it might not be a killer. What I really find particular in enchanted arms is there is no feeling of tension wondering around environments as random battles can really happen at any point.

    I guess ultimately the random battle method can still lead to a good fun game its just I can not help thinking there must be a better way of doing it.
  • ilmaestro 20 Oct 2006 10:35:05 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love the scale of this game; hopefully they won't let us down by being too restrictive in where you can go.

    edit: random battles are completely 'ugh!' these days; now that there are no hardware limitations we should be able to see the enemies on screen, it all adds to the sense of immersion.

    Edited by ilmaestro at 10:36:09 20-10-2006

    4235

  • Forebodin 1 Nov 2006 12:30:56 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IGN Demo impressions

    Keep in mind that this is the TGS demo, and not at all representative of the final product. There are some videos included; of them all, I'd say the video (cutscene) titled "The demo comes to a close" is worth viewing.

    I almost think that they should've waited until they could show a finished game, as this demo is drawing a lot of dissapointment (from the less informed).
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Nov 2006 12:40:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "Judging by the demo, Lost Odyssey feels like a PlayStation 2 RPG running in high definition."

    Ouch! :-/

    Still my second-most interesting 360 title, though. I'll be interested to see how it develops over time.

    That said... how long is it actually going to be? It doesn't seem to be even remotely finished.
  • warlockuk 1 Nov 2006 12:46:44 19,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    "Judging by the demo, Lost Odyssey feels like a PlayStation 2 RPG running in high definition."

    Ouch! :-/

    Aren't PS2 RPGs meant to be good? Or is that just JRPGs?

    Synthetics! Run!

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • Blerk Moderator 1 Nov 2006 12:49:29 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, yes. But this isn't just a.n.other JRPG on the 360 like Enchanted Arms, this is supposed to be one of the MEGA titles. For them to say it's actually "not all that" is sure to make some people wince. This is, after all, supposed to be convincing Japanophiles to pick up a new console...
  • Forebodin 1 Nov 2006 12:57:45 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Still my second-most interesting 360 title, though. I'll be interested to see how it develops over time.

    That said... how long is it actually going to be? It doesn't seem to be even remotely finished.
    This is the first on my list, what's yours?

    And I'd guess we'll see an early 2008 release, with a late 2007 release in Japan.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2006 13:03:15
    Blerk wrote:
    Well, yes. But this isn't just a.n.other JRPG on the 360 like Enchanted Arms, this is supposed to be one of the MEGA titles. For them to say it's actually "not all that" is sure to make some people wince. This is, after all, supposed to be convincing Japanophiles to pick up a new console...

    Have you actually read the preview? It seems obvious it's a pretty early build, IGN makes that much clear.

    Have you seen the staged demo from TGS/X06? That looked nothing like a PS2 JRPG running in high-def.

    Lastly, it's Blue Dragon that will make JRPG lovers buy the 360, as the current preoder situation in Japan seems to indicate.
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Nov 2006 13:22:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeDilettante wrote:
    Have you seen the staged demo from TGS/X06? That looked nothing like a PS2 JRPG running in high-def.
    Graphically, no. But actual gameplay-wise it was more like an early PSOne RPG - very basic combat-wise. Like the preview says, there's apparently more to go in but until we've actually seen that stuff then the preview is all we have to go on.

    Forebodin: First on my list is Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata, which sounds fab.
  • ilmaestro 1 Nov 2006 20:30:36 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, that IGN report is slightly worrying - *edit* I see it is the one that comes with Famitsu. I really hope it's not region locked.

    It goes Blue Dragon - Infinite Undiscovery - Trusty Bell - Lost Odyssey, for me.

    Edited by ilmaestro at 20:52:06 01-11-2006

    4235

  • Scimarad 1 Nov 2006 20:38:54 8,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although that video doesn't look impressively 'next-gen' (whatever that means) I was pretty interested. Mostly because it looks like a pretty intriguing world.

    - edit-

    Okay, I just watched the video entitled 'the demo comes to a close' and I have to say I'm pretty sold on this game - I really want to know more about that place!
  • Scimarad 1 Nov 2006 20:39:03 8,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Lex_Luthor 1 Nov 2006 20:39:42 1,067 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks nice, will buy. As expected though, some places this is already being championed by people who were usually pretty snidey about JRPGs when the PS2 was the best place to play them :/
  • Scimarad 1 Nov 2006 21:04:20 8,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What a suprise:-)
  • ronuds 1 Nov 2006 21:07:04 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lex_Luthor wrote:
    Looks nice, will buy. As expected though, some places this is already being championed by people who were usually pretty snidey about JRPGs when the PS2 was the best place to play them :/


    That's because all turn-based JRPG's sucked before they came to the 360. ;)
  • Drakron 1 Nov 2006 21:20:28 509 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Hmm, that IGN report is slightly worrying ...

    Remenber, you cannot spell ignorance without IGN.

    I have some reservations over this game, part because of the use of Unreal 3.0 engine since I really dont think FPS engines work well for RPGs and I am very suspecious of the story but then again I have yet to see any real details so I am sitting in the fence.

  • Page

    of 67 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply