Does anyone bother with mobile phone insurance? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • yegon 2 Feb 2012 10:30:15 5,416 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry to hear about your lost phone, but CHRIST, thread resurrection! Lol at that phone I had, brings to mind what I put in the "I've got an iPhone thread" in 2007;

yegon wrote:
    The iPhone's undeniably a sexy piece of kit, but my Vario II (aka HTC Hermes aka loads-of-other-names) does almost everything that does (minus the UI and larger screen) but with faster net access (HSDPA), a keyboard, replacable battery, and easily changeable microSD cards (4gb for 50). The battery life is excellent too.

The biggest disappointment with the iPhone for me is the capacity - 40gb+ and it'd be a viable replacement for my phone and 60gb iPod.

Edited by yegon at 13:15:58 11-01-2007
    Seems like a lifetime ago.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 10:41:25
    :-D
  • Load_2.0 2 Feb 2012 10:44:59 19,681 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Need to make sure their definition of "lost" is the same as yours. A lot of insurance will only pay if someone rips it from your hand. If it does get nicked getting a police report is a pain in the neck.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 10:47:56
    Rhythm wrote:
    Bah, missus lost her iPhone last night. We have insurance (free with bank account) but when calling the phone last night we were getting a "phone switched off, divert straight to voicemail" response from it. This morning we're getting a constant dead tone - no voicemail, it's almost as if the number doesn't exist.

What the fuck's likely to have happened that would cause a number to get switched off within 18 hours of losing the phone? We sent a remote lock request to the phone but that wouldn't kill the number, would it?
    Had the exact same thing with an iphone a couple of months back. First time I rang it, it rang. Second and third times it went to voicemail. I thought that meant someone had taken the sim out of the phone and binned i, but it could equally have been caused by the phone's battery dying after using the last bit ringing in an empty room.

In my case, I reported it lost (easier to report it lost than stolen with insurance companies) and advised the police. My bank (1st Direct) was actually great and the tagged on insurance company (Allianz) was pretty speedy and once I'd proved I owned the phone etc, they had a cheque delivered to me in a couple of days. The cheque was for 265 which was 300 for an iphone 3G less their excess.

Hope it works out okay for you. Insurance I had with my previous bank (Smile / Coop) was "less good".
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 11:09:27
    Witch.King wrote:
    Hope it works out okay for you. Insurance I had with my previous bank (Smile / Coop) was "less good".
    Erm... fuck. :-/

Might not be claiming at all yet. Might just pick up a cheap handset to tide her over until her contract expires in October. Or maybe she found it when she went back to school this morning (although had that been the case she'd have been back in touch by now)
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 11:18:06
    Rhythm wrote:
    Witch.King wrote:
    Erm... fuck. :-/

Might not be claiming at all yet. Might just pick up a cheap handset to tide her over until her contract expires in October. Or maybe she found it when she went back to school this morning (although had that been the case she'd have been back in touch by now)
    Oh oh... well I assume you are with them then. I DID get a replacement iPhone in the end, but it felt like the Spanish Inquisition whenever I rang them and they were glacial in their speed. Took a couple of months and me sending off all the evidence they could think of. I'd make a point of it as you DO pay for the insurance so you should claim and get something for it. Coop might have started using another insurance company by now.

Hope you find it, but if not, ring them up (and sooner rather than later as they have a min time in which you need to claim - its longer for "lost" phones" and the small print / exclusions are lesser for "lost". Stolen they have lots of wriggle room in the contract and you have more hoops to go through with them and the police.

I claimed and I got my phone bricked and a cheque sent out. A couple of months later, the phone was found and is now serving as a reasonable 8gb ipod.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 11:35:55
    Yeah I'm with them. Checked up on the whole "report it as lost within 24 hours" clauses and whatnot and if we decide to claim I can meet their requirements for sure.

If it's going to take potentially a couple of months then I may just grab her a cheap PAYG handset and get 3 to reduce the rate she's paying for her contract. She likes her iPhone but she can't decide if she likes it enough to fork out 50 for a replacement
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 12:08:08
    Rhythm wrote:
    Yeah I'm with them. Checked up on the whole "report it as lost within 24 hours" clauses and whatnot and if we decide to claim I can meet their requirements for sure.

If it's going to take potentially a couple of months then I may just grab her a cheap PAYG handset and get 3 to reduce the rate she's paying for her contract. She likes her iPhone but she can't decide if she likes it enough to fork out 50 for a replacement
    Which iPhone is it? Mine was the 3G and as I say, they gave me 300 for it (less the 35 excess). That enabled me to get an xperia Ray which I'm loving a lot more than the iPhone which was on its way out anyway (flaky wiFi, poor battery life). Had they replaced it, then I'd have probably ebayed it.
  • prawnking1980 2 Feb 2012 12:16:45 5,253 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Go to your local police station they should fill in a lost property form, you get a copy of it, reference number prefixed with 99 should satisfy insurance company. That's in London at least
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 13:14:12
    Witch.King wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:

Which iPhone is it? Mine was the 3G and as I say, they gave me 300 for it (less the 35 excess). That enabled me to get an xperia Ray which I'm loving a lot more than the iPhone which was on its way out anyway (flaky wiFi, poor battery life). Had they replaced it, then I'd have probably ebayed it.
    3GS. She's just got back from the school and confirmed it's not there. She's reported it to Three (who then charged her 5 for a replacement SIM, fuckers).

Told her what the score is and she's going to go through with the claim. Just seeing if she can pull the IMEI from 3 as the insurers are insisting on having it for the claim
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 13:15:29
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Go to your local police station they should fill in a lost property form, you get a copy of it, reference number prefixed with 99 should satisfy insurance company. That's in London at least
    Cheers, I did 6/7 years in insurance claims so I know the process. Checked the policy wording on this one and they don't even need a lost property form unless it was lost overseas :-)
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 13:17:57
    Rhythm wrote:
    Witch.King wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:

3GS. She's just got back from the school and confirmed it's not there. She's reported it to Three (who then charged her 5 for a replacement SIM, fuckers).

Told her what the score is and she's going to go through with the claim. Just seeing if she can pull the IMEI from 3 as the insurers are insisting on having it for the claim
    Yeah, I had to get an email from O2 when mine vanished for the same mob. They wanted proof I'd bought it, my IMEI number, my contract details, inside leg measurement, the works. Got there in the end though thanks to a nice lass at O2 who got everything for me.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 16:03:21
    Right, claim submitted, cheers for the help
  • Deleted user 9 February 2012 12:17:04
    Blimey, claim fulfilled! They offered 225 based on current prices of refurb 3GSs.

So, does she replace or does she use the money to sever her Three contract and get one of the cheaper 4S deals around at the moment? Decisions decisions
  • Deleted user 9 February 2012 12:32:19
    Rhythm wrote:
    Blimey, claim fulfilled! They offered 225 based on current prices of refurb 3GSs.

So, does she replace or does she use the money to sever her Three contract and get one of the cheaper 4S deals around at the moment? Decisions decisions
    Congrats... though I think offering the price of a refurb is a bit sucky. I got 300 for a lost 3G. Would it be worth saying "I'm not happy that you're offering me a refurb price when similar phone insurance companies such as those run by 1st direct give you the money for a new phone"? I used my cash to get a sim free android (xperia Ray) as they were much better value for money than an iphone. That left me 100 spare.

As for what you can do, the iphone 5 is due out soon isnt it? I'd be tempted to wait until that is announced as then she and half the Apple world will either want that or she will be happy to stick with a 4s which will no doubt be even cheaper once the 5 is about.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Feb 2012 12:34:35 25,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My home button and earpiece speaker thing are going in my iPhone 4, I pay insurance each month. Phoned up to ask about claiming on it, and was told there was a 75 excess! Christ, cheaper to take it to Apple direct.

Cancelled policy, living with problems until iPhone 5...

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Deleted user 9 February 2012 12:37:06
    Technically they're offering 275 less the excess. Not as great as we'd hoped but still more than she needs to replace a 3GS.

After seeing me struggle with WP7 and Android she's determined to stick with Apple. She has enough to replace her 3GS with money left over, or she could buy herself out of her contract (9 months left at 25). Hopefully Three will try and offer her some incentive to stay

If she leaves she can grab an iPhone 4 for the same price she's paying now or a 4S for 5 more per month. She's never bothered about being state of the art but I think the fact that the 4S comes with a camera that's almost as good as a Nokia camera might sway her - she's missed having a reasonable phone cam
  • Anthony_UK 9 Feb 2012 12:41:59 2,555 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    My home button and earpiece speaker thing are going in my iPhone 4, I pay insurance each month. Phoned up to ask about claiming on it, and was told there was a £75 excess! Christ, cheaper to take it to Apple direct.

Cancelled policy, living with problems until iPhone 5...
    I have the exact same problem, rather than pay the £150 etc to replace my phone, the kind folks at the Apple store shown me this little work around.

Settings>General>Accessibility>Assisted Touch

Basically allows you to have a home button on the screen itself which you can drag around to wherever you want
  • Deleted user 9 February 2012 12:49:56
    Rhythm wrote:
    Technically they're offering 275 less the excess. Not as great as we'd hoped but still more than she needs to replace a 3GS.

After seeing me struggle with WP7 and Android she's determined to stick with Apple. She has enough to replace her 3GS with money left over, or she could buy herself out of her contract (9 months left at 25). Hopefully Three will try and offer her some incentive to stay

If she leaves she can grab an iPhone 4 for the same price she's paying now or a 4S for 5 more per month. She's never bothered about being state of the art but I think the fact that the 4S comes with a camera that's almost as good as a Nokia camera might sway her - she's missed having a reasonable phone cam
    Okay. Well in that case, it would be worth leaving her current contract but making sure you got a new contract via TopCashBack or equivaolent as she would get an extra 50 for taking out a new iphone 4S contract. That would mean she only has to pay 7 months of her contract.. or use that fact in her conversation with her current provider.

[edit] Actually on TCB, "3" are offering 110 for anyone taking out their "One Plan Contract" including iphone 4S... so more leverage to use with them. [/edit]

Edited by Witch.King at 12:52:00 09-02-2012
  • Deleted user 9 February 2012 13:45:20
    Yeah, the cashback would definitley be a factor in deciding. I've done some comparison through Omio.com and then totted up cashback through Quidco. Given her some options, she's now off deciding. IME Three don't bother trying to retain their customers - they were certainly unhelpful as fuck when she actually lost the phone last week. Still, stranger things have happened :-)
  • BigOrkWaaagh 22 Mar 2012 08:25:54 2,325 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Way back in the day I bought the super cool Matrix phone - a Nokia something for 179.99 from The Link. They asked me if I wanted to insure it at a cost of 179.99. I believe the look on my face was something like this:

:|
  • FanBoysSuck 22 Mar 2012 08:46:09 1,540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I get mine through my bank (Barclays). It's included in the additions account along with loads of other stuff like RAC breakdown cover.
    same here, it also includes passport, credit/debit card and driving licence cover as well as allowing me to keep my big overdraft from my student days. Well worth it for £7 p/m, not sure I'd pay that just for my phone though.

For the emperor!

• Vicky-360 12 Jun 2012 10:41:07 8 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You know you can get mobile insurance direct from the guys who the phone retailers buy it from? You need to have just bought a new phone though, but it's so much cheaper and you can contact the insurance provider direct, which cuts down on waiting time.

I had my iPhone stolen a few weeks back and the insurance company sent me one the next day! No complaints here :)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next