Amazon delivery - gone to the dogs? Page 11

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• YenRug 23 Jun 2013 19:24:16 2,179 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I suspect they're distinguishing between a refund, where they'll transfer funds to your credit/debit card, and crediting your account, restoring what you funded most of the purchase with.
  • Pazie 24 Jun 2013 07:46:02 228 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hope your right because it's gone very quiet from them. This issue with them has put me off from trading in any more games and receiving gift vouchers from them.
  • RyanDS 27 Jun 2013 12:36:03 9,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This new Autorip thing is rather good isn't it?

Now they just need to do it for books as well and I will be a very happy man.
  • Psychotext 27 Jun 2013 12:40:41 54,171 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's that?
  • kalel 27 Jun 2013 12:46:59 87,584 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any CDs you've bought from Amazon (as long as they're signed up to auto-rip) you will now have digital versions of available for you to stream or download for free.

Very nice touch.
  • rock27gr 27 Jun 2013 12:51:20 5,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So you get the digital version in advance while you wait for the physical disc? At the same price? Wow, a retailer that finally gets it! Too bad their overseas posting charges are ridiculous.
  • RyanDS 27 Jun 2013 12:51:21 9,355 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I haven't bought a CD from them in over 5 years, but I downloaded the app at my brothers suggestion and I suddenly have 50+ albums on my phone. Forgot how many CDs I used to buy, plus some gems I had totally forgotten about that I am suddenly feeling nostalgic for.
  • kalel 27 Jun 2013 12:56:33 87,584 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's particularly nice is that all the CDs I bought as gifts over the years are now mine as MP3s.
  • kalel 27 Jun 2013 12:57:24 87,584 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What I really need is a DVD/BR version of this.
  • mal 27 Jun 2013 14:04:27 22,525 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just a shame the one time I used Amazon to buy MP3s the downloader they provided flat out wouldn't work (possibly firewall issues, but still), and since setting up the system allowing you to redownload anything you've bought, apparently the thing I bought was too long ago, so now I'll never be able to download it.

Eh well, it was a free sampler anyway, but it's just taught me to be wary of buying mp3s off Amazon.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• kentmonkey 27 Jun 2013 14:05:46 20,681 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amazon's MP3 quality is a little all over the place, and the volume can be as well.

It's a good offer, I'm not doubting that, but their MP3 quality control and consistency is lacking.
  • Maturin 27 Jun 2013 15:34:46 2,992 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes Amazon MP3 files are shite. I've got one album that's actually in mono. And I did get a refund, but have they fixed it? No, if you buy that album today it's still broke.

Also most of the Slayer back catalogue on Amazon MP3 is broken too. Volume all over the place, some so quiet you can hardly hear them. Again I complained a couple of years ago. Was refunded.

Have they fixed the files since then? Nope.

And even if you get files that aren't broken they are usually 256K or less and you can hear problems with the top end in them. Meanwhile Google (and others) offer 320K - which should be a bare minimum.

I suppose autorip is handy so you can have some shitty files to listen too for a couple of days while the CD is on the way. You can replace them with decent rips when it arrives. But it's been over a year since I trusted an Amazon MP3 as a solo purchase.

I tend to stick with Bandcamp (for lossless files but not many bands use them) and Google.
  • Dougs 27 Jun 2013 15:37:04 67,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    What I really need is a DVD/BR version of this.
    Yeah, some kind of tie-in with Ultraviolet or whatever it is the studios are forcing on us would be good.
  • rtk79 27 Jun 2013 15:44:55 493 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Being the suspicious sort, I'd assumed Autorip would only concern the very mainstream, "best selling" stuff I have no interest in, but that not's the case at all. There's an impressive range of work there, on CD and (most usefully) on vinyl as well.
  • Maturin 27 Jun 2013 15:46:30 2,992 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes I now seem to have MP3 files in my account of a terrible old funk vinyl I bought for my brother in law two years ago. :)
  • X201 23 Jul 2013 16:59:23 15,370 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amazon scraps free delivery on some purchases under 10

Online retailer Amazon has scrapped free "super saver" delivery to the UK on some products worth less than 10.

It reverses a policy introduced in October 2009 that let items be sent without postage charge if customers agreed to wait up to five business days for delivery after the dispatch date.

The new threshold will not apply to books, DVDs, music, video games and software products.
    :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23423305

Edited by X201 at 17:00:07 23-07-2013
  • MrDigital 23 Jul 2013 18:14:19 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• MrDigital 23 Jul 2013 18:14:20 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I almost just expect free delivery if I buy online and accept that it will be second class delivery, so it's a bit of a shock. Surely this will make them much less competitive.

• mal 23 Jul 2013 18:18:56 22,525 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, hang on, supersaver still applies to books, CDs, DVDs etc.? That's fair enough. Most everything else I end up having to go marketplace anyway and pay postage.

• DaM 23 Jul 2013 19:11:08 13,139 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well they've got to make the money from the tax we are asking them to pay from somewhere.... Actually Royal Mail charges have been creeping up recently - just wait till they are privatised....

On the subject of Amazon delivery, I had a game come in 13 hours recently. Ordered just before 7pm Friday night, chap at the door during breakfast the next morning.

Edited by DaM at 19:12:08 23-07-2013
  • ronuds 23 Jul 2013 19:29:05 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You don't have to spend a certain amount before having anything eligible for super save shipping anyway?

I can certainly understand them not wanting to offer it on such inexpensive items, tbh. They can't be making hardly any money from that.

As to them going to the dogs - no, sir! I just ordered something that took half the time they said it would. YIPPEEE!!!
  • MrDigital 23 Jul 2013 19:36:19 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    You don't have to spend a certain amount before having anything eligible for super save shipping anyway?

I can certainly understand them not wanting to offer it on such inexpensive items, tbh. They can't be making hardly any money from that.

As to them going to the dogs - no, sir! I just ordered something that took half the time they said it would. YIPPEEE!!!
    I'll remember that tactic the next time I post something. "I'll tell them it will take 10 days, and when they get it in the normal 2 days, they'll worship me!" I will admit though that DaM's 13 hours is impressive.

• YenRug 23 Jul 2013 19:43:19 2,179 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Considering that, when Super Saver Delivery was first introduced, you had to spend at least 15 to qualify for it, it's not that unsurprising that they've introduced this limit on less mainstream products in their range. They'd already introduced a category for some of their cheaper products where you had to order them with something else to be able to get them delivered, the problem with that was it didn't matter how many of them you ordered you couldn't get them delivered by themselves; you'll probably find that, now, if you order at least 10 worth they will send them out.
  • ronuds 23 Jul 2013 19:43:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

I'll remember that tactic the next time I post something. "I'll tell them it will take 10 days, and when they get it in the normal 2 days, they'll worship me!" I will admit though that DaM's 13 hours is impressive.
    How do you know they didn't originally tell me 4 days?

Edited by ronuds at 19:44:20 23-07-2013
  • Psychotext 23 Jul 2013 21:22:51 54,171 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't be so bad, but fuck all is eligible for prime these days anyway as most of their stuff is sold by marketplace sellers.
  • MrDigital 23 Jul 2013 21:48:07 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    MrDigital wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

How do you know they didn't originally tell me 4 days?
    Point would still stand :p

• rare_uk 23 Jul 2013 22:23:32 3,569 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Wouldn't be so bad, but fuck all is eligible for prime these days anyway as most of their stuff is sold by marketplace sellers.
    Completely agree on that. Also Prime is rubbish for console releases as they know that you will get it on day of release (supposedly).So the people not on Prime get theirs dispatched much earlier than Prime members, causing you to panic as they post in forums about their console being dispatchedand inevitably meaning some lucky buggers get it earlier than the paying prime members.

Edited by rare_uk at 22:24:21 23-07-2013
  • mal 23 Jul 2013 22:58:58 22,525 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    They'd already introduced a category for some of their cheaper products where you had to order them with something else to be able to get them delivered, the problem with that was it didn't matter how many of them you ordered you couldn't get them delivered by themselves
    You sure? I filled up my basket with a couple of add-on items, then multiplied them until I hit the magic threshold, and it offered me free shipping.

As I noted previously, I think, last time I ordered one of these add-on items they ended up sending it out by itself in a separate delivery anyway, the mongs.

• mal 8 Sep 2013 23:43:41 22,525 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck's sake, I really can't work out this new charging structure they've got going on.

So I've got three items in my shopping list: one for 9 quid, one for six quid and a marketplace item for a quid 90 (incl free delivery) and it offered me supersaver delivery, despite none of them being books, dvds or games. Then I noted there was a four week wait on the 9 quid item so I knocked that out of my basket, and an almost two quid postage charged popped on my basket - fair enough, I thought, I'll just add a CD on and it'll be sorted.

Yet it isn't. Even adding three CDs to take it over the old 14 quid supersaver bottom limit, and the postage just keeps going up and up.

Hmm, although now I check through it seems it's a bug in their system. If you estimate delivery while your order's not eligible then add stuff so supersaver does apply, the estimator continues to charge delivery.

• BillMurray 9 Sep 2013 15:30:53 7,737 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've not kept up with this thread for a long time but I decided to go with Amazon for my GTA V pre-order. Are my chances of getting it on release day slim to none?
  • Page

of 16 First / Last