Amazon delivery - gone to the dogs?

• Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous
  • repairmanjack 22 Sep 2006 09:09:47 6,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What is with this firm, recently? I placed a hefty pre-order with them back in the middle of August: Saints Row, Dead Rising, Just Cause (30) and the Darkplace DVD (since dropped off the face of the earth - admittedly not their fault).

Saints Row turns up three days late, despite them having it in stock. I contacted them to find out what the problem was. Apparently some fluke that I didn't get it. Dead Rising is a day late... and today, no Just Cause. They sent me an email last night trying to sell it to me, and it appears others who only ordered it a couple of days ago have already received it.

Lesson learned, it'll be Gameplay from now on. I've fired off a curt email to Amazon asking them why they think I should continue to patronise them in the face of their falling standards. Expect an automated response in reply.
  • Aretak 22 Sep 2006 09:13:01 10,354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be fair, Amazon have never been my choice if I wanted a game on release day. It's not just a recent thing.
  • Ginger_Messiah 22 Sep 2006 09:13:18 952 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of my mates stuck a pre-order in with them for a dvd boxset only for the price to drop on the pre-order before release.

Amazon charged him the original pre-order price.

Not the best businees practice in my opinion.

And i'm still bitter about having to scour the shops for a core 360 as they were incapable of getting my premium to me for another two months.
  • repairmanjack 22 Sep 2006 09:15:14 6,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just Cause is 21 from play-asia, confirmed as PAL compatible, if anyone is interested...
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 22 Sep 2006 09:16:17 10,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Took 4 week for me to get the collector's box of Steamboy. 4 weeks!!!

In the time it took Amazon to get it to me, HMV had already had it on sale at a cheaper price AND then put it back up again.

Certainly not a place to buy from when you're expecting decent delivery times...
  • Whizzo 22 Sep 2006 09:16:20 43,124 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    To be fair, Amazon have never been my choice if I wanted a game on release day. It's not just a recent thing.
    Absolutely, good for picking up a bargain when they're price cutting, complete crap when it comes to pre-ordering.

Game/Gameplay and Play are far better hopes for a launch day delivery, although you'll usually get them a day or two earlier.

This space left intentionally blank.

• tincanrocket 22 Sep 2006 09:28:42 3,004 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    What is with this firm, recently?..... Expect an automated response in reply.

Yep, Amazon really are getting things wrong quite regularly at the moment. They recently fluffed up my Dead Rising pre-order, requiring me to talk to a phone monkey in an effort to resolve the problem. Eventually I cancelled and sent a complaint about it and, to be fair to them, they sent me an email reply and gave me a 5 voucher off future purchases. Trouble is, I don't actually plan to order anything from them any more...
  • Grump 22 Sep 2006 09:34:59 1,180 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I took a vow never to pre-order on Amazon again after the farce with the XBox 360 launch. Eventually bought it from Game after waiting 2 months after release date.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2006 09:38:30
    Without getting into it, I have also gotten the impression that Amazon's standards have dropped recently. It's a shame, but probably also something to do with the fact that they pretty much set the high standards in the first place.

If you stick to trusted ebay sellers, you can often get a better service these days.
  • TwistidChimp 22 Sep 2006 10:31:51 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I dont trust Amazon to get me things in good time. Always Always use Gameplay.co.uk for pre-orders, they have, without fail, got every pre order to me the day before launch.
  • Locky 22 Sep 2006 10:40:58 583 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ginger_Messiah wrote:
    One of my mates stuck a pre-order in with them for a dvd boxset only for the price to drop on the pre-order before release.

Amazon charged him the original pre-order price.

Not the best businees practice in my opinion.

If the price of something that you order goes down within 30 days you can email them and ask for the difference to be refunded to your credit card. I've done this a few times.

They said in their most recent email to me: "We are only able to adjust the price of an order in instances where less than thirty days have passed between the date on which an order was dispatched and the time that an item is reduced in price on our site."
  • Arrit 22 Sep 2006 12:05:20 414 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And they've removed being able to look at what's going to be released in the future. You use to be able to look at a list of what was coming out in a certain week now they just list a few things in the coming soon section.

One thing I do like is that you don't need to sign for games. With play you have to sign for everything over 25 which means going over to the post office normally in rush hour traffic for something that would have fit through the letter box.

Edited by Arrit at 12:04:46 22-09-2006
  • repairmanjack 24 Sep 2006 01:26:46 6,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still waiting for confirmation of despatch (and an explanation for the delay) for 360 Just Cause. Did anyone else order it (at the 30 price)? If so, have you received it yet?
  • ecureuil 24 Sep 2006 01:34:11 76,812 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, I ordered a DVD player from the last week, and it was a shoddy piece of shit.

Probably should expect that for a 20 quid player, but still..
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Sep 2006 01:36:42 35,556 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was trying to order The Wire from amazon.co.uk (as it's not available in Germany), but got told at the checkout process that "due to geogaphical reasons" they couldn't send it to me, referring me to a link which however said that they do deliver DVDs to Germany (which I can confirm as I've ordered from them before). I sent them a mail, and got replied to with an automatic response which linked me to the same page again. Um.

I could order the import version via amazon.de, but it'll cost twice as much, although it would arrive in a amazon.co.uk box anyhow. :/

Got to say, amazon.de is a lot fitter.

Edited by UncleLou at 01:36:18 24-09-2006
  • silentbob 24 Sep 2006 01:40:07 28,974 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amazon was always shite. I never understood why people shopped there. The interface has been broken for years, and the whole thing is cumbersome and clunky.

The main advantage they have is huge stock storage capacity, quite frankly I'd rather wait for an order and save my eyes from the damn thing. :)

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Megapocalypse 24 Sep 2006 01:40:34 5,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find that if you know exactly what you want and its in stock amazon are execelent. Stray from those parameters however, and expect trouble.
  • JustOwnedDarkPhalz 24 Sep 2006 01:41:31 469 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just ordered the Dead Rising SE from Amazon last night as they had it at a bargain 39.99 (same price as the normal edition). As long as it gets here on Monday/Tuesday I will be delighted.
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Sep 2006 01:43:15 35,556 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Amazon was always shite. I never understood why people shopped there. The interface has been broken for years, and the whole thing is cumbersome and clunky.

The main advantage they have is huge stock storage capacity, quite frankly I'd rather wait for an order and save my eyes from the damn thing. :)

I can only speak for Germany, but at least for books, there's no alternative. They have simply everything, including English books. As books have fixed prices in Germany, there's also noone cheaper (or more expensive, for that matter).
  • repairmanjack 5 Oct 2006 12:05:56 6,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, the game eventually arrived, but I'm still awaiting either an explanation or apology for why they keep messing up my pre-orders. I'm not letting it go. I've had it to the back teeth with piss-poor retail service. They got back in touch within an hour of my first email - human response, too - promising an explanation within three days.

Still nothing. I've just fired off the most officious email I'm capable of, advising them I am currently reviewing their service for a consumer review website. (I'm actually a member of two, and might just knock the dust of my accounts if they don't pull their finger out on this.)
  • Hunam85 5 Oct 2006 12:16:28 4,114 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had some books that went missing the in the post, a few angry emails later i got my books after a resend.

Still left a bad taste mind, never bought any games from them though.
  • Ginger 5 Oct 2006 12:20:41 6,840 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Funny, I ordered the new dawkins book from them a couple of weeks ago - got an email the next day saying it was out of stock, and then got an email the same day saying it was despatched.

I don't use them a lot, but when I do it's always excellent.

London open taekwondo champion

• repairmanjack 6 Oct 2006 09:22:52 6,043 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, my Lord. I had four emails from Amazon in the last twelve hours. Every single one has failed to respond to the question I asked. Three of them tried to justify why they hadn't sent the delayed DVD that was also in the original order. (It isn't out - but that wasn't what I wanted to know in the first place).

The "Has this email answered your question?" link goes to a dead page, but this last email has promised to send all their and my correspondence to "the official department". That's good. Each of the emails I've had so far have been signed by a name I couldn't pronounce with a gun to my head. It's apparent from the syntax, grammar and spelling mistakes that most of my emails have bounced back from far-flung places.

Perhaps this "official department" will be based in England. In which case, I imagine their next response will be: "tough shit!"

Shockingly poor service.
  • Ginger 6 Oct 2006 09:34:22 6,840 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Oh, my Lord. I had four emails from Amazon in the last twelve hours. Every single one has failed to respond to the question I asked. Three of them tried to justify why they hadn't sent the delayed DVD that was also in the original order. (It isn't out - but that wasn't what I wanted to know in the first place).

The "Has this email answered your question?" link goes to a dead page, but this last email has promised to send all their and my correspondence to "the official department". That's good. Each of the emails I've had so far have been signed by a name I couldn't pronounce with a gun to my head. It's apparent from the syntax, grammar and spelling mistakes that most of my emails have bounced back from far-flung places.

Perhaps this "official department" will be based in England. In which case, I imagine their next response will be: "tough shit!"

Shockingly poor service.
    You're jinxed (or work for Play) - I'd stop using them if I were you.

Edited by Ginger at 09:34:25 06-10-2006

London open taekwondo champion

• JoTheSpoon 6 Oct 2006 10:04:01 23 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've not had anything get lost from Amazon, touch wood, but their free delivery policy is a bit misleading.

They change the minimum order value for free delivery every now and then which isn't bad, but if you choose the free delivery option, this stuff comes up which leads you to believe that your delivery will take 7-10 days to get there. This is a feeble attempt to get you to pay for delivery - it takes 2-3 days, like before.
  • JimJam 6 Oct 2006 10:09:10 769 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Generally find them excellent, although my Batman Year One never arrived. Ordered in May, still waiting in September - they kept pushing the release date out further to the right.

I also find they're cheaper than a lot of other online shops these days too.

I do wish they'd purge their database of discontinued products though - they make up 30% of searches!
  • strangeed 6 Oct 2006 10:18:31 629 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just got my copy of fable: the lost chapters a day early so no complaint from me there.

I don't deal much with them though so I might have just been lucky
  • SuperCoolEskimo 2 Apr 2012 15:49:05 9,825 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What happened to the Amazon - I Hate You thread?

Anyhow, I'm pretty shocked and appalled at the shitty 'service' I've got from Amazon on the phone just now.

Long story short, I ordered a TV for a friend as a gift, which went faulty within the first week. Amazon replaced it but getting the faulty TV picked up was a nightmare. They failed three collections at her address, and in the end I had them collect it from mine on the fourth collection. We had to book days off for each collection, and because it took so long they billed my credit card twice for the TV. On the last collection, the chap I spoke to at Amazon said to call to complain once the final refund had been processed.

The first person I spoke to just now said that Amazon 'don't have a complaints department' and that they would not be able to compensate me for the inconvenience. Her supervisor rambled on about how sorry they were for all the hassle but then also said they would not be offering any compensation. Told him to send me the details for their head office and nothing has been sent into my email inbox yet.

Since when did Amazon get this shit?
  • Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous