Travelling... Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Tonka 30 Jul 2010 13:48:30 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've heard good things about Laos and Vietnam.
    Then there are lots to see in south China. 4 days in Changjiajie and you won't be disappointed. Yangshuo has beautiful nature and loads of other travellers. When I was there I saw notes posted advertising free room and board if you taught English.

You could easily spend 2-3 weeks in Beijing if killing time is all you are after.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• cjb_bjc 30 Jul 2010 15:00:44 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think iv found the perfect stop gap. The phillipines!! Would fly straight into darwin from there instead of Perth. But means it would be an extra stop. Now not sure if they fly regularly in out from HK or to Oz but its perfect. Looks amazing too.

Edit... they fly regularly from HK butnot into Oz, i may be wrong. Will really need to go see my travel dude!
  • Gartt 30 Jul 2010 16:07:59 1,688 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I spent 2 months in china and it was nowhere near enough, the country is simply vast and theres so much to see there. Xi'an is a good call and theres tons of stuff to see.

Personally Id skip Shanghai and head west instead, Chengdu is wonderful and there are plenty of sites surrounding including the incredible Leshan Buddha and Panda Breeding centre. From there maybe fly into Lijiang (pretty cheap internal flights) and spend a couple of days trekking Tiger Leaping Gorge, that was honestly the best experience of my life, the gorge is immense and beautiful. You can get down to Guilin and Yangshou from Kunming that way.
    Just some suggestions, I doubt youd be able to fit everything in though on your limited timeframe which is a shame. Id go back to China in a heartbeat, so beautiful. Just beware of the smog in the north, its horrid.
  • cjb_bjc 3 Aug 2010 10:03:07 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey,

Has anyone ever been to the Philippines? Most governements have got a travel warning out for there. Is it dangerous? I've heard it mainly down south so as long as we stay north we should be fine. How difficult is it to move between islands? We want to go to Puerto Princessa, possibly Bohol and Cebu City. Not really sure how big the area is and how long this would take to do.

Suggestions?
  • Tonka 3 Aug 2010 10:35:54 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you made your Hostel reservations for Sydney yet? New years will be packed and you can save a lot of hassle and money by booking now.

I see that a lot of hostels have a "Minimum stay of 10 nights" around New Year.

Seriously, start booking that shit now.
    http://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Sydney%2C+Australia&country=Australia&city=Sydney

Ooohhh.... and many places are already full.

• cjb_bjc 3 Aug 2010 11:41:06 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeh we booked our place ages ago... thats why all the fiddling with changing the intiniary was so tricky because we have plans in Sydney already! Staying in Wooolooomoooomooooloo! Got 14 nights booked for an average cost of £14 a night! Not too bad going i believe! Ooooh Chinese Visas sent off today... bag ordered... things are getting exciting now. 5weeks to go!
  • Tonka 3 Aug 2010 11:51:02 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do you have a good camera?
    Loads of memory cards for it?

• cjb_bjc 3 Aug 2010 14:27:43 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Will a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 do?
  • Tonka 3 Aug 2010 14:40:02 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm no real expert but that looks OK to me.

Travel cameras is a tough one I think. You want it to be small and light so you can take it with you wherever you go. Yet there have been time when I've kicked myself for not getting a swanky one.

Are you going to travel with a laptop? I see that loads of people do.

• cjb_bjc 4 Aug 2010 08:17:15 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No i dispise laptops! I'm sure there will be loads of internet cafe's about the shop. And if there isn't then im not too fussed, i don't mind missing United winning the cup/league/champions league/carling cup!! (Actually il prob watch it in a pub) or Il be laying on a beach lapping up the rays!!
  • FWB 4 Aug 2010 08:20:47 41,951 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    What I want to ask is have you been travelling, and if you have was it worth it/do you regret it? How did you fund your travelling? Also, if you haven't been travelling, why not?

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 13:10:25 21-09-2006

No. Why would I want to? I've got everything I need withing a 5 mile radius. Carling, egg and chips and The Boulevard.
  • cjb_bjc 4 Aug 2010 09:15:13 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    What I want to ask is have you been travelling, and if you have was it worth it/do you regret it? How did you fund your travelling? Also, if you haven't been travelling, why not?

No. Why would I want to? I've got everything I need withing a 5 mile radius. Carling, egg and chips and The Boulevard.

Yeh I dont even have to leave my room! Ocado deliver my shopping, google streetview for my sights and iv got my PS3 to play sports! That was a long time ago tho! I wonder what mister zErOb_cOOl thinks now?
  • Zerobob 4 Aug 2010 09:54:42 1,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:

Yeh I dont even have to leave my room! Ocado deliver my shopping, google streetview for my sights and iv got my PS3 to play sports! That was a long time ago tho! I wonder what mister zErOb_cOOl thinks now?

I am he. I am actually amazed I started this thread as I don't remember doing so!

I still haven't been travelling though :( It would mean ditching my job and I couldn't afford to pay rent to keep my flat for a year while travelling. Unless you own your own house what do you do, move back in with mummy and daddy?
  • cjb_bjc 4 Aug 2010 10:03:11 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dont move out ;)
  • Zerobob 4 Aug 2010 10:09:41 1,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lol. That is an option I should have considered before going to uni :)
  • Tonka 4 Aug 2010 10:41:44 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You don't have to go for a year. It's perfectly alright to go away for a few weeks. Lot's of short trips instead of one massive.

Plus, you could rent your flat to someone. Take a leave without pay and go nuts.

Start with a weekend in Münich.

And why did you ditch your cOOl name?

• cjb_bjc 4 Aug 2010 14:55:33 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gartt wrote:
    I spent 2 months in china and it was nowhere near enough, the country is simply vast and theres so much to see there. Xi'an is a good call and theres tons of stuff to see.

Personally Id skip Shanghai and head west instead, Chengdu is wonderful and there are plenty of sites surrounding including the incredible Leshan Buddha and Panda Breeding centre. From there maybe fly into Lijiang (pretty cheap internal flights) and spend a couple of days trekking Tiger Leaping Gorge, that was honestly the best experience of my life, the gorge is immense and beautiful. You can get down to Guilin and Yangshou from Kunming that way.
    Just some suggestions, I doubt youd be able to fit everything in though on your limited timeframe which is a shame. Id go back to China in a heartbeat, so beautiful. Just beware of the smog in the north, its horrid.

Hey Gartt, as we now have a massive 48 days in china i thought maybe chengdu, lijang and obv Kunming on the way back sound quite good, apparently the Yahtzee cruise is a bit hit or miss so thought we'd skip that and just enjoy the tiger leaping gorge which looks as you mentioned absolutely amazing. We are gonna train from Beijing down to Shanghai to Xian then down to Chengdu, im guessing you missed Shanghai out totally.

Any little tips you would be kind enough to share, we got alot more time in china now so might be able to fit some more things in, or relax in a few nicer places for longer
  • johnlenham 4 Aug 2010 17:52:22 4,000 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks to whoever put that Hostels worldwide website up! Heading to India in January and that will come in handy!
  • cjb_bjc 10 Aug 2010 09:45:11 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trip is now all sorted, flying back to London on the 19th April! Fly out 4weeks yesterday! Chinese Visa Done, Oz Visa Done, Backback bought, Philippines trip sorted, camera purchased, Car is up for sale! Looking for the best deals on insurance... and bricking myself reading about all the floods in China! Not really going to be around those regions. Not good tho... every year the natural disasters seem to be getting worse, either that or they are better documented now!
  • Tonka 10 Aug 2010 10:15:01 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    johnlenham wrote:
    Thanks to whoever put that Hostels worldwide website up! Heading to India in January and that will come in handy!

Hostelworld.com? It's great isn't it.Me and the Mrs. has used it a lot. My one complaint is that people seems to be real fucking Princesses in the ratings.

I've stayed at places described as "horrible" and "disgusting" only to find them cheap and OK. I mean if you hunt down the cheapest place to stay in Rome you won't get the Hilton.

The top raters are really nice though.

• cjb_bjc 12 Aug 2010 12:03:01 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What do you guys think about Malaria tablets? Necassary?
  • Zidargh 14 Aug 2010 12:37:14 1,664 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All I can say is that they're fucking expensive. I'm shelling out £200 on malarone (the best).

I would say they were absolutely necessary depending on where you're going. I mean, is it really worth the risk? The reason I've opted for the best is because of the minimal side effects in comparison to the almost halluconegenic, cheaper ones.

Update: I leave on 12th September; London - Hong Kong - Malaysia - Vietnam - Thailand - Cambodia - Thailand - London.

Particularly excited about Malaysia because of the two weeks I'll be spending in the Perhenthians working with turtles and diving with whales sharks.

Back 21st December. Then off to Japan in April. So yes, I manned up and booked the f***ing thing. ;)
  • Gartt 15 Aug 2010 17:09:39 1,688 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    Hey Gartt, as we now have a massive 48 days in china i thought maybe chengdu, lijang and obv Kunming on the way back sound quite good, apparently the Yahtzee cruise is a bit hit or miss so thought we'd skip that and just enjoy the tiger leaping gorge which looks as you mentioned absolutely amazing. We are gonna train from Beijing down to Shanghai to Xian then down to Chengdu, im guessing you missed Shanghai out totally.

Any little tips you would be kind enough to share, we got alot more time in china now so might be able to fit some more things in, or relax in a few nicer places for longer

Yea I missed out shanghai totally, it was in the itinerary at first but after a couple of weeks in the big cities like Beijing and Xi'an, i wanted something different and to be honest thats all Shanghai really is, a big city, a big western looking city at that. So I decided to go West to Chengdu after Xi'an instead of East to Shanghai.

- Yunnan, Yunnan, Yunnan! Spend as much time as you can in this area, its where I found my "real" China. Its just so different to the rest of the country.
    - Hostels are your best friend in this country the staff there can sort out pretty much anything for you, its a godsend having them book your train/bus tickets to your next destination as it saves having to wait in the foreigner queue at the stations. A good hostel is a must, pretty much any YHAis recommended.

-Hostelworld is a godsend, just book your next place as you go, I booked literally the first week to settle in and then went wit the flow.

- Watch out for public holidays, the whole country shuts down and youll never get a train anywhere.

- Book trains early (try and get on a soft sleeper at least once, if your budget allows, theyre mint.)

- Dont bother with tours, theyre expensive and everything is doable under your own steam for much less
    money. Just ask for the info at your Hostel.

- If you do the Li River cruise, if you can afford it (im not sure how much it costs) try and charter a small boat rather than the big chugging tour boats. Too many people on them and completely ruined the whole experience for me unfortunately.

- If you get a sleeper bus, check it has a toilet on it before chugging down two bottles of water at the start of the journey... trust me, its not a nice experience ;P

- Beware the spitting! I never got used it, its horrible, but socially acceptable there.

- Dont eat Chicken on a Bed of Chillis, Ive never cried before whilst eating food, but this dish damn near killed me :D

Thats enough I think, your making me reminise and its depressing!

pm me if you want any info bud.

*edit* Sorry about text wall :)
  • Zidargh 15 Aug 2010 20:50:42 1,664 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gartt,

Great post. I myself am not heading to CHina, but do you have any tips on pre-travel nervousness/homesickness/culture shock?

I'm going solo is all.
  • Gartt 15 Aug 2010 23:03:52 1,688 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its natural, I went through all of those. Before I went I was wondering whether I was doing the right thing, the first couple of weeks were hard with adapting to culture shock, everything felt alien, which in turn lead to homesickness.
    But it passes, as soon as you see that next amazing thing and realise what youd be missing if you werent there.
    I did start aBlog when I was over there (until I got bored of writing :D). But it kind of shows what I went through in those first few weeks away.

Judging by the places your going to, culture shock shouldnt be too much of a problem, theyre all geared up for tourism in a big way.
    Are you staying long in Hong Kong? Its an awesome city, it feels like it could be in the UK, seriously. Its also damn expensive, I ended up paying £20 for a frickin Korma.

Biggest tip? Pack light, you'll be sick of the sight of your backpack by the end of your trip. It might feel light at the start but trust me, it soon starts to feel like an anvil. In Thailand especially you can by clothes for next to nothing if you learn to haggle quickly.

• Deleted user 15 August 2010 23:10:29
    Interviewing for a job in China... fuck it you're only young once.
  • cjb_bjc 16 Aug 2010 09:46:51 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice blog Gartt! Really inciteful, must be weird to read it back and remember what happenned as your memories must be good whereas reading the first few weeks seemed like it was quite a challenge! Why did you stop writing btw??
  • Gartt 16 Aug 2010 13:00:27 1,688 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dont know really, I got too far behind and computer time is always at a premium in busy hostels. I wish I had carried on writing though because some of the memories are getting hazy already.
    Ive got a good couple of thousand photos for memories but theyre always going to be static and you quickly forget what emotions you were going through at the time. Try keeping a journal or blogging when youre away, even if its just for yourself. Its definately a nice snapshot of yourself to look back on during a unique period of your life. Better than a thousand photos that youre never in.
  • cjb_bjc 16 Aug 2010 15:27:37 942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thats not a bad idea you know. Not something I thought of either. Maybe a little journal. Don't think we'll bump into each other Zidargh, il be in Beijing on the 7th Sept then head down for our flights from HK to the Philippines on the 25th Oct. So how long did you go out for Gartt? Il make sure i'm in the damn photos! Thats one of my pet hates. Photos without people! Damn it makes me sooooo angry!! lol
  • Deleted user 17 August 2010 16:29:20
    cozeny wrote:
    Interviewing for a job in China... fuck it you're only young once.

Interview was today. Very positive. Exciting.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last