Travelling... Page 3

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Tonka 28 Jul 2010 15:45:07 19,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    China is about the food. Oh boy oh boy. There's this famous restaurant close to Ritan park, (North edge... west.. not sure they have pictures of famous people on the wall as you walk in) DELICIOUS!!!! ALL OF IT GO THERE!!! (A but pricey though)

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• cjb_bjc 28 Jul 2010 16:03:47 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mmmm foood!

I like food
  • danathjo 28 Jul 2010 16:06:39 6,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like food too
    yo, everyone in the house that likes food go hoooo!!

/o/ - hooooo
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 28 Jul 2010 16:18:47 6,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I mean, compared to Indonesia and Indochina, AUS/NZ must be incredibly tame. A sort of slightly sunnier England with more poisonous spiders and racists.

Otto, have you actually been? Australia and NZ have some of the most beautiful natural wonders in the world!
  • cjb_bjc 28 Jul 2010 16:20:02 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So Pacman, did you go through with your trip? Howd it go? Budget enough, give any tips?

Otto shouted at me about asking for a camera case (sobs) :)
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 28 Jul 2010 16:32:38 6,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    So Pacman, did you go through with your trip? Howd it go? Budget enough, give any tips?

See the top of page 2 - I've been back ages! With the way the world economy has gone I doubt any budget I made would be useful, plus I was working over there so I was topping up the reserves all the time.

My one piece of advice applies equally to music festivals as it does to travelling. Work out a budget and lay out everything you want to take. When you've done that double the amount of cash and halve the amount of stuff.

NZ is amazingly beautiful country and I'd thoroughly recommend going to the Bay Of Islands and Coromandal however wherever you go there's wonders to behold. If you are driving yourself around then stop often to soak it all up - the journey is half the fun - and fill up whenever you can as petrol stations are few and far between. If you take public transport then don't spend the whole time asleep!
  • Load_2.0 28 Jul 2010 16:35:24 18,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    I'd thoroughly recommend going to the Bay Of Islands and Coromandal

+1

Its gets overlooked as people tend to head straight from Auckland southwards. Fantastic beaches and scenery.

Probably my favourite place in NZ after Hawkes Bay.
  • cjb_bjc 28 Jul 2010 16:45:17 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry @PacMan read it wrong as was only skimming, then the next post was three years later! What a jump eh? Double the ammount of cash will not be possible im afraid, i can definetly cut half the stuff tho.
  • Tonka 29 Jul 2010 07:18:43 19,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My one piece of advice applies equally to music festivals as it does to travelling. Work out a budget and lay out everything you want to take. When you've done that double the amount of cash and halve the amount of stuff.

Best piece of advice ever. The money bit hasn't ever bothered me since my wife do the budgeting but the packing I can vouch for.

• otto Moderator 29 Jul 2010 07:48:43 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:

Haha, I've been giving you such a hard time, sorry! :D :(

I'm just jealous. :)

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 29 Jul 2010 08:02:28 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I mean, compared to Indonesia and Indochina, AUS/NZ must be incredibly tame. A sort of slightly sunnier England with more poisonous spiders and racists.

Otto, have you actually been? Australia and NZ have some of the most beautiful natural wonders in the world!
    I know they have, and I'd like to see them one day, but if you only have six months to a year to travel, I do honestly think you'd be better off travelling through the jungles and volcanoes and villages of Sumatra and Java than the RVs and fast food joints of Australia. Not to mention the fact that it's loads cheaper!

Would love to see Ayer's Rock and the Barrier Reef but it would be the lasting shame of my life if I hadn't seen sunrise from Mount Bromo, hiked to the summit of Toba Island, seen wild orang-utans in the forest near Bukit Lawang, climbed to the top of Borobudur Temple, swum in the crater of Maninjau, haggled for street food in the markets of Berastagi, snorkelled in the coral off Perhentian, seen Krakatoa from the Merak ferry, etc etc

I just think it's a pity that many young Brits skip these amazing things because they prefer the more sanitised, anglophone comforts of AUS/NZ. Not saying that necessarily applies to cjb_bjc but it would be a shame if it did.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mwtb 29 Jul 2010 08:37:29 2,381 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You might feel shame if you hadn't seen those things (Really, though? Most people have never even heard of those places. How can you feel shame for not seeing somewhere you're totally ignorant of?) but you seem to be arguing about the relative merits of other places from a position of ignorance. Sure, Oz and NZ have a lot in common with the rest of the West culturally, but the nature and geography are somewhat different. I wonder if you make the same judgements on Aussies and Kiwis doing the great OE and pitching up in London.

Besides, there's nothing stopping people travelling more than once in a lifetime. What's the difference between you marking Ayer's Rock (can't see the attraction myself) and the Barrier Reef down as "must do later" and someone else marking "random temples, markets and orangutans" as the same?
  • otto Moderator 29 Jul 2010 09:28:04 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    be a shame, not feel shame, obviously

and there are plenty of things stopping people taking more than one massive six-month trip in a lifetime

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Tonka 29 Jul 2010 09:33:22 19,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    be ashamed Shirley?

• mwtb 29 Jul 2010 09:51:08 2,381 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, it didn't take that long to get bogged down in semantics. I think my point stands. How would it be the lasting shame of your life to not have seen somewhere unless you're one of the faithful talking about Mecca or something? I'm sure you're glad to have had your experience but your wording appears to be making a claim that you'd actually have a deep regret for not having those experiences even though they're not something you were likely even aware of before having them. In the context of discussing other people's plans for travelling it all seems oddly dictatorial -- "Here are the valid things to do when travelling".

And yes, I'm sure many people have many things that stop them taking a six-month trip but I wasn't claiming that there are free round-the-world tickets handed out in supermarkets, only that travel is still possible after your early twenties. If you don't fancy the whole villages, temples, fish-eyes and open sewers bit and feel a strong urge to see all that later then you can still buy a plane ticket. There are no laws against it.
  • otto Moderator 29 Jul 2010 09:58:04 49,291 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Please, there's a difference between saying "oh that's a shame" and "oh I'm ashamed."

Having seen those wonderful places I can say that it would be a huge shame if I had never seen them.

Obviously, if you've never experienced them, then how would you know? The same is true for practically every human experience worth having. It's not an excuse to say "oh well you can't miss what you don't know." Yeah, might as well just stay living with your mum for the rest of your life eating beans on toast and watching the One Show then.

I am giving cjb and anyone else who cares the benefit of my wisdom and experience and telling them that they would be missing out on a lot if they ignored the more exotic destinations in south-east Asia. Of course, they are at total liberty to ignore me. And you are completely at liberty to tell me that I am missing out for not having travelled to Australia and New Zealand, and you might be right.

But don't get bogged down in stupid arguments about angels dancing on the heads of pins ffs.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mwtb 29 Jul 2010 10:16:34 2,381 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're not talking about people making a non-choice of sitting at home though. We're talking about people making decisions about how to spend their time travelling and I was more bothered by your stance in relation to this:

I just think it's a pity that many young Brits skip these amazing things because they prefer the more sanitised, anglophone comforts of AUS/NZ.

If they prefer the sound of Bondi and visiting the Neighbours set, they prefer it. The fact is that no-one can see everything and everyone will miss something in any trip. There's a big difference between talking about the options and bringing down a verdict on the objective value of the choices though.
  • cjb_bjc 29 Jul 2010 10:44:50 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alright guys, alright, calm down!! Jeez! To be honest with all i have never heard of half of the places mr otto mentioned, jungles and such are a good shout but id rather climb up a few mountains in Europe tbh.

Just checked some of the places mentioned and they are all basically in Indonesia. One would only need a month or two to do all that no?? Im flying into Singapore from NZ so there is no problem to catch the ferry across to Indonesia if we have any money left over! The Borobudur temple looks interesting i must say. I must say, i do quite like the idea of just relaxing on a bondi beach for a few days too tho.
  • cjb_bjc 29 Jul 2010 15:16:53 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So anyone live in Oz or travelled in the last year that can let me know if 57 Aussy$ a day will be enough to live on, hostels, food, drink :) and travel??

So 2months from Cairns to Sydney Il have 60*57 = 3420

Greyhound bus - 6 month pass = $413 cairns to sydney. = $3000
    Hostels lets say $20 a night = $1200 = $1800 left
    Food a day say $25 a day = $1500 = $300 left

Eeeek little tight??
  • Fab4 29 Jul 2010 15:22:22 5,689 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry mate, I was there last 2 months of last year, but was staying with friends, so all food and lodging was free :)

I did find it a little expensive for most things though, but Gold Coast was much cheaper, especially Surfers.
  • cjb_bjc 30 Jul 2010 09:17:35 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    lol, im now massively worrying about spending so much time in Oz! People are saying 1700 for a month. If im there for 3 thats me pretty poo pooed! A few changes may need to be made. Arrrrrgh not now dammit!
  • Load_2.0 30 Jul 2010 09:26:08 18,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi mate,

Hostels are probably closer to the $30 mark per night. More if you want a twin room $40ish

Your food budget is probably about right, though you might be able to trim a bit off it with some supermarket shopping.

The problem with a tight budget is that it doesn't leave you a lot to do things while there. Whether those things be museums, pubs or buses/trams/trains just getting around the city.

Genji could give you a better idea of prices.
  • cjb_bjc 30 Jul 2010 09:47:35 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok then lets revise this a little then

Greyhound bus - 6 month pass = $413 cairns to sydney. = $3000
    Hostels lets say $30 a night = $1800 = $1200 left
    Food a day say $25 a day = $1500 = $-300 left

That doesn't actually include doing anything either :(

Im guessing you can only get work if you get yourself a visa??

lol! Maybe cut down on Oz and bit more SEA??

Is Gengi in Oz at the moment then?
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2010 09:54:01 19,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some tips for Beijing. Please note that the map view and the satellite view don't match in Beijing.

• Load_2.0 30 Jul 2010 09:59:46 18,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Depends what kind of work you want to do.

You might be able to score some fruitpicking or labouring without a visa and a bit of luck. If you want to do that sort of thing...

SEA is much cheaper so that may be an option. You can live like a King in Thailand and Indonesia on your Aussie budget.

Yes Genji is in Oz.
  • cjb_bjc 30 Jul 2010 10:10:32 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks Tonka, thats fantastic, i didnt even know you could do stuff like than googlemaps!

Yeh, im gonna look at my intiniary now and see if we can change things slightly, might have to miss out Perth and just do the east coast, still really want to be in Sydney for new years tho! I love myself a good party! If we can stay in China for a bit longer then i like the sound of that too! Maybe look into Laos and Vietnam, or (this will probably please Otto) Indonesia!!

Not sure how easy it will be to change flights now that they are booked :(
  • Load_2.0 30 Jul 2010 10:11:44 18,155 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You won't miss much leaving out Perth!

Sydney for New years is a great idea.
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2010 10:38:36 19,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    Thanks Tonka, thats fantastic, i didnt even know you could do stuff like than googlemaps!

Youre welcome.

As for the great wall I heard that if you go on one of the tour buses you might end up seeing a lot of jewellery stores rather than the great wall. Team up with some others and hire your own driver.

I think they'll help you with that at the hostel. Go to Simatai for some more adventurous bits. Or even better: Jiankou

• Tonka 30 Jul 2010 10:53:35 19,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You probably know about www.hostelworld.com already but I thought I might just as well put it up here. It never ceases to amaze me how some people won't book ahead.

Every Hostel worth its salt has free wifi and/or some computer set up. Before you go to a new place, make sure you have some place to stay when you get there. There's always some sad fuckers showing up with backpacks the size of a small moon without reservation. (usually ozzies with a thumbed ex of The Lonely Planet)

Then they have to turn back out into the inevitable hailstorm.

There's also money to save from booking in advance.

• cjb_bjc 30 Jul 2010 13:25:05 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OK, due to massive underfunding, we will now only be spending 7 weeks in Oz, probably missing out Perth and then only 4/5 weeks in NZ. However we need to be in Sydney for Xmas/New years. Now flying to Beijing on the 6th Sept, staying there 7weeks would be 25th Oct, 7 weeks in Oz would only be the 13th Dec. Any ideas? Into Laos from China? Tibet? Taiwan? Basically need another 3/4 weeks somewhere accessible from China.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last