Travelling... Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 21 Sep 2006 16:02:53 7,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In March me and the missus got back from 18 months away which we funded partly by saving before going, partly from working while away.

Spent most of the time was spent in NZ in a campervan and we had the best time of our lives. If you are going to NZ for any longer than a month I totally recomend buying a campervan. You can pick 'em pretty cheap over there at car markets or from the classifieds.

Firstly it'll save you a bomb on accomodation costs (and those can really mount up!) and, most importantly, you'll see more than you'd ever see any other way, the country is yours for the exploring!

Because you'll be cooking for yourself you'll also save money and the biggest plus is, if you are smart, you go out in low season, buy a campervan and sell it in high season you can actually make money.

Travelled back home through SE Asia and I'd agree 100% with what dirtbox said. Most 'travellers' don't talk to the locals, behave as if they are on a night out in Swindon and generally gain nothing from their travels but a tan and some pirate DVDs.

Avoid this by not going somewhere 'cos that's where everyone goes, instead go somewhere that you want to explore, meet the people and get to know the culture a bit better.

It'll be the best thing you ever do, so start saving!
  • DodgyPast 21 Sep 2006 16:06:01 8,435 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The one thing that peeves me, and this isn't meant as a slight on anyone in the least, but the people who trudge around Thailand in their flip flops and beads and think they've seen something of the world just because they walked out of Bangkok airport, stayed in a hostel then slept on a beach after smoking some grass.

That's not travelling to me. It's holiday makers trying to be ethnic and failing miserably.

Absolutely true.
    Whilst I'd agree it doesn't mean that you can't see authenticate Thai life.

Bangkok is a planet away from an Isaan village.

Of course actually living here I prefer Bangkok, but visiting the future inlaws includes a lack of running water.... welll there is a hose which you could run from outside into the shower.

The thing is that if you really rough it then you leave the English langusge behind... since in these places anyone who speaks English will be in the cities earning a decent salary.

I suppose India might stand out as an exception since English is sort of the official language there.
  • The_Aardvark 21 Sep 2006 16:29:03 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:

The thing is that if you really rough it then you leave the English langusge behind... since in these places anyone who speaks English will be in the cities earning a decent salary.

Time to brush up on the international language of pointing!
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 21 Sep 2006 16:36:47 7,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    DodgyPast wrote:

Time to brush up on the international language of pointing!

And to buy one of these. ;)

Edited by Pac-man ate my wife at 16:36:32 21-09-2006
  • henro_ben 21 Sep 2006 16:49:01 2,215 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:

And to buy one of these. ;)

Edited by Pac-man ate my wife at 16:36:32 21-09-2006

I love the point it book! Occasionally useful in an emergency but it's real use is as an ice breaker when meeting people on your travels. Everyone finds it fascinating, and you've got to love those dodgy old 1970's photos of caravans & campsites.

Don't leave home without it!

Edited by henro_ben at 16:48:50 21-09-2006
  • StixxUK 21 Sep 2006 17:51:43 7,242 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This thread has enforced my wish to travel and may have, as a result, changed my life. OOOOOH!

Anyway, I'm trying to work out a plan at the moment. I have no idea of what I'm going to do, really. I have no cash and have spent the last year since graduating temping and squandering cash. None of my friends that I've asked are into the idea, so I'll be going alone.

Now, as a profession, I think I'm going to get into finance. I'm thinking I'll do a couple of years' work, get the qualification whatever it may be and then go travelling with the cash I've earned as a reward. The problem is going to be getting the cash, though, as I really really don't want to live at home for much longer.

Argh. Not really asking for advice as it's a bit complicated to get into.

Summary: I want to travel properly for at least 6 months, and I will find a way. I wish I'd done it sooner and I wish I'd had some idea of how important it is to sort out your life (in terms of career) before or during university.
  • Xerx3s 21 Sep 2006 18:42:10 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I seriously don't know how people afford it before/during/after Uni.

easy, it doesn't cost shit if you know what you are doing. I.e. a bed with breaky will cost you 8-10 in most places in europe, even cheaper in some other parts of the world. Avoid hotels & tourist area's.
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Jun 2010 16:29:44 9,694 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't want to start a new thread so hought i'd post in this one.

Fancy going on holiday for a week or so and I wouldn't mind going to America. Thing is I kind of fancy just getting away on my own and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this themselves? Would it be a wise move to just shoot off somewhere over seas on your own when you have no one at all to go with or meet up with?
    I kind of like the thought of just going and having no plans of what to do and not having to follow someone else about.
  • terminalterror 30 Jun 2010 17:04:53 18,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:

Fancy going on holiday for a week or so and I wouldn't mind going to America. Thing is I kind of fancy just getting away on my own and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this themselves? Would it be a wise move to just shoot off somewhere over seas on your own when you have no one at all to go with or meet up with?
    I kind of like the thought of just going and having no plans of what to do and not having to follow someone else about.

You'll be just fine on your own. I've done New York, D.C. and Chicago on my own. With cities like those, they are packed full of things to see and do, and being on your own means you can see them at your own pace, moving on when you are getting bored, staying when you find something really awesome, skipping out things you'd have no interest in (but might be dragged to if going with other people).

You also get to eat whatever you want, whenever you want. The U.S. (New York in particular) is great for fast food, that you can either grab on the go, or sit down for a quick pizza slice before moving onto the next thing. Makes it less weird than having more table servicey meals by yourself.

If you stay in a hostel then you'll be able to find loads of similarly minded people to go do stuff with if you want to, or just hang out with in the evenings. Also, you can always try popping into a bar and meeting new people.

If you are a people person, then travelling on your own means you get to meet loads of new people, and possibly end up with some great friends.

If you are more introverted, travelling alone means you don't have to deal with other people at all if you don't want to :)
  • L_Franko Moderator 1 Jul 2010 09:27:09 9,694 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one tt, I shall be looking into this now. I am more than happy to just meet new people where ever I may find myself and I do like the thought of being able to do my own thing when I want instead of having someone elses ideas being thrown into the mix as well.
    New York does sound very appealing to me so that sorts out where abouts to go. I shall start saving from this point on I think :)
  • Zidargh 1 Jul 2010 10:24:33 1,671 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey L_Franko, I'm shooting off for 3 1/2 months by myself. You'll be fine. :)
  • terminalterror 1 Jul 2010 10:41:42 18,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    Hey L_Franko, I'm shooting off for 3 1/2 months by myself. You'll be fine. :)

Another reason not to be worried about travelling by yourself: even if you don't really end up chatting much to anybody at all, it is only a week and you'll still have seen loads of awesome stuff.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 1 Jul 2010 11:17:25 7,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:

For a truly random adventure you could give yourself a rule that you'll always follow, kinda like Yes Man or The Dice Man. Say you'll take every 4th option; i.e. you arrive at Grand Central Station and you'll got to whichever destination is 4th on the departures board, or walk into a Tourist Information Office and do whatever the 4th activity the person behind the counter suggests. :D
  • L_Franko Moderator 1 Jul 2010 11:25:31 9,694 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh heh, that is an idea.
    First port of call would be a bar for sure. I really want to go to a bar in America and have done for ages. From there I shall see where the wind takes me :)
  • TechnoHippy 1 Jul 2010 11:33:11 14,705 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Europe shouldn't be underestimated for fun travel, a few years ago (all right, more than a few) I walked from Rotterdam to Munich and back over 3 months and that was great fun.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• pinkds 1 Jul 2010 11:41:32 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Europe is great for travelling. Drove up to Norway the year before last and just camped, didn't book a thing apart from the ferry crossing. One of the best holidays of my life.

Don't underestimate Europe for going travelling.
  • Zidargh 1 Jul 2010 11:42:42 1,671 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    L_Franko wrote:

For a truly random adventure you could give yourself a rule that you'll always follow, kinda like Yes Man or The Dice Man. Say you'll take every 4th option; i.e. you arrive at Grand Central Station and you'll got to whichever destination is 4th on the departures board, or walk into a Tourist Information Office and do whatever the 4th activity the person behind the counter suggests. :D

This suggestion also applies to every fourth prostitute that hassles you.
  • cjb_bjc 28 Jul 2010 14:14:12 1,059 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well heres my five cents. Im off around the world (well half of it) in 7 weeks! Fcuk me time has flown by!! Flying to Beijing down to Hong Kong > Australia > New Zealand > Singapore > Thailand and back home! All of this in just 7 months. Id like to go for longer but dont have the money. Saved up just under 7g's and travelling with a mate.

The only thing i'm worried about is the money aspect. Everywhere tells you different things. Basically we've got a grand a month and we are in Oz for 3 and NZ 2 now i really hope thats enough. So thats like 30 a day. STA and a few websites said around that figure is good. Anyone had any experience and could help me ease my fears??

Just bought a nice digi, looking at proper bags, gotta sort out the visas still, sell my car, leave this job! lol.

Fun times!
  • otto Moderator 28 Jul 2010 14:20:24 49,290 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have fun.

/resists urge to berate poster for wasting such a great trip on sodding AUS/NZ

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Load_2.0 28 Jul 2010 14:23:27 19,113 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    30 is about $70 NZ dollars.

Is that to that cover your accomodation also? It might be a bit tight.

Poopoo! to Otto.
  • Tonka 28 Jul 2010 14:37:31 20,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How will you get from Beijing to HK? Will you spend any time in China? Where are you planning on going? Would you like recommendations?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• cjb_bjc 28 Jul 2010 14:58:52 1,059 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Basically we are in china for 31 days. Arrive going to do the great wall. Travel down to Xian for the terracotta warriors, river cruise up the yagtzee before going Shaghai, then down to Guilin the surrounding areas, the Li River then Guangzhou before heading into HK for a few night before the flight to Perth.

lol @Otto, whats wrong with Oz and NZ. Chinese visa only last 1 month therfore couldn't really do much longer plus Im not too keen on places were i can't speak the language so thats why we are there the longest.

@Load Yes thats to cover accomodation as well. We are only looking to stay in hostels or twin rooms as there is two of us. Dont even mind a bit of camping if it goes that way! I know its not much, thinking of trying to get a little loan but not entirely sure.

• otto Moderator 28 Jul 2010 15:01:28 49,290 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not that there's anything wrong with NZ & Aus (not that I'd know, I've never been to either), it's just that I wouldn't waste the trip of a lifetime going to places like that when you're in such an amazing part of the world. You'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life. I mean, compared to Indonesia and Indochina, AUS/NZ must be incredibly tame. A sort of slightly sunnier England with more poisonous spiders and racists.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Load_2.0 28 Jul 2010 15:14:18 19,113 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lolz stop ragging on the colonies!

Its brilliant you will love NZ and Aus. The biggest problem with NZ is it is bloody expensive. I have to admit I don't know the costs of accomodation these days but internal travel and entertainment is costly.

Flying internally in NZ for example is about $200-300 return. A Big Mac Meal is about $8-9 dollars. A Can of coke is about $1.50 a beer is about $7.00 - $10 depending on where you drink.

You might be able to get by on a grand but its not going to leave you much room for actually doing stuff. And tourist type things are a bit of a rip off.

All the younger tourists I have known have loved doing things like the "Kiwi experience" again i don't know how much it costs but you get to do some of the highlights/travel/accomodation all rolled into a bundle for a few days. Could be good?

http://www.kiwiexperience.com/

• cjb_bjc 28 Jul 2010 15:25:47 1,059 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Otto, thats what holidays are for, id never be able to do the whole of Australia and NZ as thoroughly as id like in 1 month! And if anything, il just go again!

@Load, we have to get from Auckland to Christchurch in 7 weeks i think it is. Havent really looked that far into it because it won't be till after xmas. Got hostels in Sydney already booked for Xmas and NYE!! The whole trips business usually work out way over budget, so what we basically are gonna do is look at the trips and then work out our own route through. Its obviouslly the best way to go. All i know is they have a really good bus service that runs throughout which we will probably use. But if you've got any good suggestions for NZ then please feel free to share them. :)
  • Tonka 28 Jul 2010 15:28:12 20,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your plan for China sounds sound. But surely a 3 month visa is no problem now that the Olympics are well and truly over.

If you feel adventurous do try and get your asses to Zhangjiajie (with the Wulingyuan scenic area (of Avatar Mountain fame)) and

• Load_2.0 28 Jul 2010 15:32:04 19,113 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah intercity buses run the length of the country. They might even do some kind of deal for that much travel.

I will leave you to work out the route as thats part of the fun! But if you have any specific questions feel free to bump the thread or PM me, I lived in NZ for 25 years so know most of the driving times between cities and know some of the nicer beaches/spots.
  • cjb_bjc 28 Jul 2010 15:36:09 1,059 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka - Just had a quick check

Q2 How long will my Chinese visa be valid for?
    Your visa will be valid for 3 months from the date of its issue. This means that that you will have 90 days to enter China . Once there you should be able to stay up to 30 / 60 days from the day you enter. If you apply for a double entry visa you should be able to enter China twice within a 6 months period. Each time you enter, you should be able to remain for a maximum of 30 to 90 days. If you obtain a multiple entry visa it should be valid for 6 or 12 or 24 months from its date of issue. As the Chinese Embassy change its policy without warnings it is impossible to predict whether you will be granted what you ask for. The length of your visa is entirely at the discretion of the Chinese Embassy.

That's a bit long eh? But yeh upto 60. The best thing we can still change our flights once for free, so maybe an extra week? Probably shouldn't change things now tho.
  • Tonka 28 Jul 2010 15:43:21 20,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, as far as I can see you have all the big hitters in your itinerary wrt China.
    In Xian I would recommend you eat their special roasted chicken. I can't rememebr the name but it's som local specialty.

DELICIOUS!

Make sure you go to the muslim quarters and eat some bbq sticks on the street. DELICIOUS!

Especially the chilliflaked nanbread on skewer with some beer. DELICIOUS!

And in Beijing you should go and eat roast duck at the place right on the south east edge of Tienanmen. (Not the tourist trap in the hutongs south east of Tienanmen mind) DELICIOUS!

And always ask for Guo Bao Rou(锅包肉;) in every restaurant you go to (NOT to be confused with the similar guo LAO rou though) DELICIOUS!

Ma pu toufu is another safe card to play in the smaller resaturants. Spicy tofu dish with meat in it innit. DELICIOUS!

• Page

of 9 First / Last