Travelling... Page 9

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next
  • TheMayorOfJugs 2 Jul 2014 21:32:38 3,014 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ok then, right thread this time!

In Paris next week staying with a friend in her apartment in Bastille. Wondering if any of you know of any touristy places, foods, restaurants, experiences etc. or anything you personally enjoyed that you'd reccommend doing while I'm there. She'll be showing me around, but while she's at work I'll have plenty of time alone to waste too.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jul 2014 21:50:21 10,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    Ok then, right thread this time!

In Paris next week staying with a friend in her apartment in Bastille. Wondering if any of you know of any touristy places, foods, restaurants, experiences etc. or anything you personally enjoyed that you'd reccommend doing while I'm there. She'll be showing me around, but while she's at work I'll have plenty of time alone to waste too.
    Au Coin de Gourmets - Great Food from Indochine

Cosi Awesome sandwiches

L'os a Moelle - Great French food, not a huge selection so not for fussy eaters

Best thing you can do in Paris is just wander round the streets, especially in areas like The Marais.
    Avoid the tourist restaurants, crepe stalls etc., just wander away from the sights a bit and choose somewhere without English plastered everywhere.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• mrpon 2 Jul 2014 21:54:56 28,399 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    La washing basket is always worth a visit.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Zomoniac 2 Jul 2014 21:58:31 7,778 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do all the touristy stuff because it's actually all worth doing there. Tower, Louvre, D'Orsee, Pompidou, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, etc etc. Make sure you head up to Montmartre, check out the view, wander round the square. The Catacombs are surreal and worth a visit. Unless you have a vast amount of time to fill then skip La Defense, the arch is underwhelming in person.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 2 Jul 2014 22:56:42 3,014 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cheers for those links AB, they all sound great, and I'll try and get lost in the actual French parts.

Completely forgot there were catacombs in Paris, will make sure to try and get all that sightseeing done if it's really worth it.
  • Tonka 4 Jul 2014 12:14:39 20,005 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs Google messy nessy chic. It's an American girl digging up all sorts of cool stuff and she lives in Paris so a lot of her tips are Paris based.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• RedSparrows 4 Jul 2014 13:08:11 21,958 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the isles in the river and the area around l'hotel de ville/the photographer museum, and the canal/s to the north. Monmartre is tourist heaven, but for a reason. It's really easy to avoid the crowds, though, and spend hours in a cafe.

/twat
  • zoolophage 15 Jul 2014 10:22:57 1,559 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone got any good suggestions for places to go in the UK/ROI? Strikes me that there are loads of interesting places but we don't bother as they're not 'exotic' enough. I have been all over Scotland but only really went to London in England and have never been to N.Ireland, ROI or Wales.

Can recommend many of the Scottish Islands: Arran, Mull, Outer Hebrides are all good. Lots of outdoor type stuff to do here.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Benno 15 Jul 2014 10:33:51 9,752 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    North Yorkshire, one of the best places in the world.

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• askew 15 Jul 2014 10:46:38 12,011 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I heard Merthyr Tydfil was good.
  • LegacySystem 15 Jul 2014 10:59:05 708 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    York, Bath, Stratford upon Avon, a teepee in the Welsh Mountains (eg larkhill - some nice out of the way places to see in Wales), Dartmoor, Stonehenge, Cheddar Gorge, The Cornish Coast, Oxford, (Day trip), Caterbury, Ely Cathedral, Lincoln (Small York), Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby, (especially during a Goth Festival), Jersey (bit up itself), Scilly Isles, Durham isn't too bad and has Beamish nearby
  • TheMayorOfJugs 17 Jul 2014 01:38:08 3,014 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    zoolophage, weather in ROI is supoosed to be fairly nice over the next week, if you come, would reccommend Galway (2 nice(ish) beaches, Arts Festival happening right now, the Races are the end of the month, we have Connemara, ie, the most uninhabitable, sheep infested land this side of Wales, and the city of Galway itself is pretty cool to stroll about in), Cork, Dublin, Kerry, Donegal.... You'll see very different places and hear very, very different accents. Also, we have a theme park themed around a brand of crisps. (Sadly the rollercoasters are still in construction)

Had a fucking sweet week in Paris gents. Still thought about (and am thinking about) my ex all the time, but it helped immensely. Drank like a champion, (my friend I was staying with works in a bar and her boss is a legend, would not let me pay for anything. It wasn't the only place I drank, didn't want to be a scummy moocher, but we'd drink there until my friend's shift was over at around 5 am and then head to another bar til 9 or so), met lovely (and beautiful) French people who I somehow made friends with through my limited vocabulary, went on a kind of sort of date with a moustached Chinese-Australian girl to the Eiffel Tower (not my type), didn't see Notre Dame or the catacombs :( but saw everything else, the architecture over there is perversely pretty.

Also somehow found my way to that Cosi sandwhich shop AB reccommended (scrumptious? Can I say that word and not sound a bit gay?) with a map and the Metro. Love the Metro. Wish Ireland had something similar. So cheap and efficient and easy to go anywhere. One of the the lines (Line 1 I think) is automated, and goes quite a bit faster than the other lines. I found this out when I rode it, and the take off had me almost commit manslaughter of about 6 innocent French people.

With all the walking and loss of appetite and drunk shenanigans and whatnot, I've also lost a bit of weight too. Might have also helped that riots over the Palestine stuff happened one evening (have a picture of burnt out motorbikes I might upload here somehow) and we drunkenly ran far, far away. Seriously, they gathered up to have a protest, layed out all these foldy chairs, a fight broke out, and they used the foldy chairs to beat the shit out of each other, people came running out of bars with stools and glasses and bottles.... Surreal O_o

Head cleared a bit. Horizons expanded. Saw some wonderful sights. Weight loss started. Avoided foldy chair beatings. Taught pretty French girls bad words in English. Had a right laugh with the bar staff. Wasn't sober until I got home. Not bad going atall for a week long holiday :D
  • zoolophage 17 Jul 2014 06:14:10 1,559 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll look into them.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• PES_Fanboy 17 Jul 2014 07:39:31 13,263 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aight fuckers, some idiot has given me a credit card, so it's holiday time.

I've never been to Indonesia and it's next on The List. Anyone been? I like long walks on the beach and indigenous street foods. I normally buy a tent and live like a waterproof tramp; anywhere particularly sketchy to avoid?

Edited by PES_Fanboy at 07:40:02 17-07-2014
  • LegacySystem 17 Jul 2014 08:41:26 708 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Aight fuckers, some idiot has given me a credit card, so it's holiday time.

I've never been to Indonesia and it's next on The List. Anyone been? I like long walks on the beach and indigenous street foods. I normally buy a tent and live like a waterproof tramp; anywhere particularly sketchy to avoid?
    Only place I've been to in that area is Brunei, but it was a long time ago (I used to live there and met the current Sultan in his palace when I was on a school trip).

I'd have recommended it highly, but its recently introduced sharia law, so you have to be careful with quite a few things there now.
  • PES_Fanboy 17 Jul 2014 09:14:45 13,263 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sharia schmaria. Some of my best travels have been in sharia countries, people are people, if you go expecting fear you'll probably find it.

Cheers though. Did the Sultan have you shit on a glass coffee table?
  • Benno 17 Jul 2014 09:17:38 9,752 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Sharia schmaria.
    :D

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• PES_Fanboy 17 Jul 2014 09:24:51 13,263 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They love that shit, fake Jewish-ish.

"ANOTHER meshugah passport control? Oy vey"
  • LegacySystem 17 Jul 2014 09:35:45 708 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

Cheers though. Did the Sultan have you shit on a glass coffee table?
    I'm not quite getting this comment... are you thinking I'm Mowgli or something?

The time I met him (as did the rest of the class), we were wandering around his old palace (its got a gold roof and a stone ship) on a school trip. My father was based there with the Army providing support for the gurkhas.

Only reason I mentioned sharia law is because Brunei has had some bad press for it since as for example homosexuality and adultery are punishable by stoning.

Anyway, I loved the place when I lived there.
  • PES_Fanboy 17 Jul 2014 09:39:16 13,263 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, cheers. Most of the countries only apply the law to Muslims, but I'll be careful not to bum anyone.

Sultan of Brunei: was subject to wild allegations that he paid people to shit on a glass coffee table. I thought?
  • Load_2.0 17 Jul 2014 09:55:56 18,816 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indonesia is a pretty gentle place to holiday, its had decades of tourists come through. Ubud is a pretty good place to start. A variety of accommodation from high end to basic, nice area with plenty of more remote spots a short trip away.

Think of Indonesia as a cleaner Thailand with less whores and traffic. Just be prepared to buy loads of carved masks, Buddhas, and jewellery tat.

There is supposed to be a good party scene on the islands now as well if you fancy something a bit more energetic.

Also prepare to hate banana pancakes. So good at first but they have a high marginal utility!
  • LeoliansBro 17 Jul 2014 10:01:50 43,107 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been to Indonesia but only in a tourist compound. The sea was warm as tea, the fish look back at you, it sounded like there were washing machines in the jungle, a 5 foot lizard tried to get into the grill kitchen on the beach, I drank a ruim and coconut juice out of a coconut they knockled off the tree for me, and they give you red snapper and noodles for breakfast.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• PES_Fanboy 17 Jul 2014 10:06:45 13,263 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All sounds fucking great, thanks.

As for accommodation, my budget for this is always the price of a tent (and in Brazil it wasn't even that) so I'm not picky - would rather live out in the elements than in a dirty hotel anyway, even if the jungle washing machines get me.
  • LegacySystem 17 Jul 2014 10:37:50 708 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Pes This gives an idea of the place.

I was only about 7, but I remember buying melons from the road side (big piles of them for sale), living in a stilt house, walking through the jungle, seeing toucans and orang utangs from out my window, (lived on the edge of the jungle), going hunting for wild boars with my dad, (never saw one!), monsoons, beautiful sunsets, swimming in the sea (got stung quite a lot by jelly fish, but that that was just one of those things back then), oil drilling machines (nodding machines as we called them), the heat (I got quite badly burnt as it was before the UVA and UVB era), fishing, monsoon ditches (falling in one with your chopper bike landing on top of you afterwards hurts!), the constant calls to prayer etc etc.

I'd love to go back one day, but I suspect an adult me would not quite see it the same way as the younger me did. I used to play with "army ants" like soldiers and would "bomb" their marching columns.... oh to be young again...
  • LegacySystem 17 Jul 2014 10:39:14 708 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Oh and Brunei (back then) still had dayak head hunters. I've got one of their swords... well, my dad got it, I've now got it. Worth going just to walk through the (edge) of the jungle. Its one of the few places in the world that can afford to leave its jungle fairly virginal.
  • Salaman 17 Jul 2014 12:36:14 18,832 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heading to Lisbon for work today and staying the weekend until Monday.
    Anyone have any recommendations?
    I've not really had time to look into what there is to see and do there.
  • Tonka 20 Jul 2014 13:44:52 20,005 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Salaman sorry for the late reply. Sinatra is fantastic. Try to make it there if you can.

• Khanivor 20 Jul 2014 14:13:03 40,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you can make it there you can make it anywhere.
  • Tonka 20 Jul 2014 20:03:23 20,005 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thank God for autocorrect,

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Next