Travelling... Page 7

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• cjb_bjc 25 Jun 2011 23:32:52 1,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *Costly. 3 weeks in Sydney is a long time
    But if you've got cash then it's a great place to be. Just chilling in the botanical gardens or at the opera house bar is awesome. I loved having a couple of drinks just by the harbour.

The main issue with oz is price. Which may e the same exchange rate as the u.s but I think prices are much higher. When your there, there is an awesome pub called the shakespear up Lincoln road I think it is that does some awesome grub
  • jablonski 28 Jun 2011 08:45:35 4,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers mate.
    I'm only going to be staying in Sydney for about 2 weeks a most, the other week or so will be at someone's house about 2 hours out of town.
    So I'll try and watch the pennies.
  • whatfruit 30 Jun 2011 12:23:25 1,530 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you going to Songkram in Thailand the place to be is in Chang Mai in the North. The city is criss crossed with rivers and canals so people constatntly refilling their water guns and peeps drive round in open top trucks armed tot the teeth with water bombs. There isa aslso a huge elephant parade and Then in the evening you can go to Warm Up a an amazing night club which stays open till dawn. After that head to Pai for a couplel of days to chillax.
  • Zidargh 30 Jun 2011 13:45:00 1,675 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Red Moose: I have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not, but if you aren't... Just shh.

As for Australia, whilst I have heard its average it best, I have never heard it compared to a shit hole. And to be honest, its not is it? Baghdad...sure.

I echo whatfruit's recommendation of Pai. :)

/ Edited to remove excessive hostility. :S
  • cjb_bjc 1 Jul 2011 09:48:34 1,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alright Zid.... calm it a little!

Lets get this thread back on track! Anyone planning any other excursions at the moment? My mate's off to Hamburg today to watch the fight.
  • Zidargh 1 Jul 2011 10:52:44 1,675 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, but I am just fed up of hearing such sweeping generalisations about BKK as a city when in fact, the vast majority of people didn't venture beyond the Khao San Road, the MBK shopping mall and maybe saw a slum on the train. I think the only place where such an opinion would be justified is Phuket.

Sure, the gulf in economic disparity is wider than that in Western cities, but this is very much the norm in the majority of South East Asian cities. I didn't even head out that far but even I saw that there were some lovely parts to the place, and not everyone is out to rip you off.

If the prospect of prostitution and drugs puts people off, then they should just stay the hell away from Asia, or in fact, their home cities. Without a doubt, drugs are available in BKK, but the penalties are extremely high, usually a life sentence, or your life. As such, I was never approached by a dealer. Jeez, I was in Brussels the other night and there I got propositioned for cocaine.

Everywhere has its rough parts, including NYC. But due to the lacking stereotype, most of these places escape with an element of glamour.

/rant over.
  • cjb_bjc 16 Aug 2011 12:08:49 1,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone got any exciting plans to share? Its grey and dreary outside and i'm thinking of a warm sunny beach!

Edit: Link to photos if anyones interested. Included some snaps from our entrapment in Christchurch during the qauke!
  • cjb_bjc 29 Aug 2012 17:14:54 1,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Woooooah. This post hasn't had much use.

Anyone off anywhere special?
  • Oh-Bollox 31 Aug 2012 01:30:01 5,275 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got a trip to Augsburg coming up, except I'm having to travel on a severe budget in order to have any money when I get there. My two local airports (Newcastle, Durham Tees Valley) are shite, and ATM my best option seems to be Lufthansa from Newc to Dusseldorf, then on to Munich, and then a short train ride from Munich to Augs. Flight is 170.

I've heard the cheapest option is a coach to London, then a train from there to Munich, and another short train hop to Augs. Apparently this comes in at around 110 total, but can I fuck find coach and train prices that get near it. Wish I could. Yes, it takes a lot longer, but at 30% cheaper I can live with it.

Best websites for comparing flight prices? Skyskanner and cheapflights are shite.

Edited by Oh-Bollox at 01:30:33 31-08-2012
  • mal 31 Aug 2012 03:49:48 22,605 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, last time I took the eurostar you didn't get much change if any from a 100 quid note. I'd have thought getting the ferry would be cheaper. You can get eurolines coach/ferry combos which get you various places from London very cheap, but the drivers are nuts, and ended up dropping me in the outskirts of Amsterdam three hours before they were meant to (and unfortunately, they were meant to arrive at 8am). A lot of the coach firms up north do similar services I believe, but they're a little more pricey - still, you get what you pay for. Flying will be a lot quicker, and despite airports' best efforts, less stressful, but unfortunately the days of flying to the continent for the price of lunch seem to be over.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Tonka 31 Aug 2012 05:16:48 20,568 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll be off to Portugal in two weeks time. Me and the missus and Kid A will spend 12 days working our way up from Lisbon to porto (and back). I'm really looking forward to it. Feels like we haven't been out for ages.

Got a great tip on here about a town called Aveiro that I really want to check out.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tonka 31 Aug 2012 05:18:17 20,568 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Oh-Bollox try hipmunk.com

• Oh-Bollox 31 Aug 2012 09:55:19 5,275 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers chaps!
  • Tonka 18 Sep 2012 08:01:50 20,568 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow! Sintra outside Lisbon was all sorts of fantastic. Surprised people arent constantly raving about it.

• Trowel 8 Nov 2012 19:52:30 17,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flying to Sydney on Saturday, 3 weeks in Oz \o/

Sintra is nice and Cascais nearby has great beaches. We stayed in Aveiro for a large part of Euro '08, great town. Love Portugal, loads of great little villages, fado restaurants are brilliant, ginjinha is probably the most delicious yet evil thing you could ever drink, and Lisbon is one of the best European cities I've been too (miles better than Barcelona).
  • Tonka 8 Nov 2012 20:31:44 20,568 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Exactly! Portugal is fantastic, yet all I ever hear about in sween is London, Barcelona and Berlin.

All good places for sure but I'm surprised I've never heard anyone talk about Portugal. Might be a swedish thing though. I did see other tourists.

• cjb_bjc 28 Jan 2013 21:17:29 1,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka

Tell me more about Sintra a quick google has me intrigued.

In other news I'm heading off to Venice with the lady this April.

Looking forward to it. Any tips or ideas from anyone?
  • Tonka 29 Jan 2013 07:43:02 20,568 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a protected world heritage are right next to Lisbon. No need for car rental, train takes you there and they have a hop on hop off bus for the area.

It's basically a mountain where they have some really nice weather due to winds and what nots. Beautiful greenery and some kick ass castles and ruins to visit.

The Pena palace was the most eye catching and it lies in a really really nice park (loads of hills though so not fr the lazy) littered with follies and viewpoints.

Then there is the Moorish Castle which is really a ruin. Great views and photo ops.

There were two other places you could visit and I've seen some pictures of a cool stairwell that I didn't see where I went.

Anyhow. well worth a day and maybe even two. In the town itself they have a lot of overpriced places to eat. The food where we went was really nice though.

Moorish Castle

Pena Castle

Edited by Tonka at 07:45:47 29-01-2013

• BillMurray 12 Feb 2013 01:50:14 7,763 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally booked my first holiday away probably since my mid teens and I'm coming to the end of my 20's now. Off to Warsaw for a week in April and I can't bleedin' wait. Never even travelled on a plane before!
  • Trafford 12 Feb 2013 08:24:39 5,807 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one Bill, I'd love to visit Poland.

I've booked myself a trip to Istanbul in April, I'm going to buy a rug and have a couple of city tours arranged.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2013 14:11:28
    Any tips for a alternative lads holiday? thats still fairly cheap?. Theres about 6 -8 of us, but not really keen on the whole zante thing and want more of an hiking, trekking thing. Well theres always one that wants the zante thing! - so i'm looking at trying to find a place with a nice balance that has a place with good proper nightlife for a night out and just spend the rest of the time exploring.

Norway has come up, and i been looking at reykjavik - although the whole having to go to denmark to catch a ferry will probably push the price up to much.

Hows barcelona? and i seen portugal mentioned above. Any good places to hiking or canoeing in range of of say libson ?
  • elstoof 12 Apr 2013 17:45:15 7,507 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    I'm going to buy a rug
    Got the syrup ready for your trip yet Trafford?
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 17:57:37 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @joelstinton Not sure on trekking, but Berlin has amazing history and museums and stuff, along with utterly amazing nightlife.

I think roads are quite cycle friendly.

I spent 10 days there and wanted to move there..!
  • M83J01P97 12 Apr 2013 18:31:49 6,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Norway has come up, and i been looking at reykjavik - although the whole having to go to denmark to catch a ferry will probably push the price up to much.
    If your worrying about the price of actually getting to Iceland in the first place, then it might not be the best country to visit seeing as it's easily one of the most expensive (but beautiful) countries I have had the privilege of visiting.

You will literally be gobsmacked at the price of a simple coffee over there, and the price of some alcohol is just insane. But again, stunning country and well worth it if you can afford it.

Reykjavik has an excellent balance of night life and wildness on the door step as well.
  • mikew1985 12 Apr 2013 19:10:35 12,791 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopping on a train to Berlin tomorrow morning!

The single advantage of working in CEE for the next few months! Never been anywhere in Germany, so really looking forward to it. I've wanted to go for bloody ages since I studied it in school, the missus was always the hold out, finally settled on Berlin for a short three day trip this year.

Edited by mikew1985 at 19:11:12 12-04-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 19:27:54 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mikew1985 it's amazing. Go see the east side gallery before they damage it any more
  • Deleted user 12 April 2013 19:56:43
    @RobTheBuilder

thanks for the suggestion. berlin has been mentioned. IVe been before, and agree a great city. i don't think any of the others have been there ,and its a good 8 years or so since i've been. so pretty open to going again.

Luckily i went when the christmas markets were on and got pretty merry on gluwhein. Infact germany is pretty good all round lucky to live there for 4years.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Apr 2013 19:58:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @joelstinton I came back just before Christmas market opened sadly! My brother lived in Munich for a year (a cousin of mine lives there too) and he loved it.
  • Tonka 12 Apr 2013 23:17:32 20,568 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Munich is great and you can do day trips to Neuschwanstein and go hiking there. Beer halls, guided walks and wave surfing in the city. Just stay away from oktober fest is what I've heard

• Deleted user 13 April 2013 11:06:23
    thanks tonka, i have a research of that. :)
  • Page

of 10 First / Last