Travelling... Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• mrpon 6 Dec 2010 07:57:58 27,664 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bizarre user of the day.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• cjb_bjc 25 Dec 2010 14:51:36 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sydney for Xmas and new years! Pretty sweet! Most of Australia has been pretty standard but there are a few little jems! The outer reef was incredible. Merry Xmas to all!
  • johnlenham 6 Jan 2011 13:10:59 4,000 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Off to India in four days! ohgod.

/panic mode
  • Zidargh 17 Feb 2011 11:26:06 1,664 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just thought I should inform you that after all the noobish anxiety about gap yah-style travelling, I have just returned from backpacking SE Asia for 3 1/2 months.

Best thing I've ever done, and can only apologise for all the incessant questions. The answers to which I completely forgot after my week-long bender in Hong Kong.

As for India; It seems very popular with Israelis, and I've heard nothing but good things. Chaotic, dirty in places, but 'beautiful' at the same time.

Thanks again.
  • cjb_bjc 28 Feb 2011 13:27:46 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So wrote a reply but it didn't save.

Yup I with zidargh agree that all the questions and anxiety we had were pretty pointless. The moment you stepped out of the plane you knew what to do, and everything fell into the place. Just arrived I'm Singapore with only 8 weeks left now. Been in chritchurch for the last week which was a complete mess. I don't think that city has much chance of rebuilding itself again if I'm honest. Oz was rubbish. NZ fantastic the same as everywhere else. I don't want to come home ;( lol. KL and Thailand left to go!
  • johnlenham 28 Feb 2011 16:33:02 4,000 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only met a couple of Israelis and they were anti social! Lots of australians and swedish girls! and the odd english guy.

From what everyone was saying SE asia is a peice of piss to travel around, the one thing I hated with India is the transportation system is a massive fucking pain in the ass! where as in SEA you can go to the staion and get a train to where you want to go, In india you have to book it a week in advance!

Also sod planning little more than "I want to go here and here" so many places we never heard of we went to after speaking to other travelers.
    Do miss the weather and the cheapness off it all :<

Dirty, yeah I guess the citys. Its weird that people just throw trash on the floor withought a second thought. Only saw one "put litter in the bin" sign in the whole 5 weeks!
    Chaotic again I guess, the roads look crazy as fuck but thats an outsider looking ins view, everyone knows whats going on as its the driving they are used too other than that its not too bad!
  • gareth886 28 Feb 2011 22:29:51 2,841 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    So wrote a reply but it didn't save.

Yup I with zidargh agree that all the questions and anxiety we had were pretty pointless. The moment you stepped out of the plane you knew what to do, and everything fell into the place. Just arrived I'm Singapore with only 8 weeks left now. Been in chritchurch for the last week which was a complete mess. I don't think that city has much chance of rebuilding itself again if I'm honest. Oz was rubbish. NZ fantastic the same as everywhere else. I don't want to come home ;( lol. KL and Thailand left to go!

I share your sentiment about Oz, it's just a great big Meh to me, probably because I've been working for most of my time here. I've been working here since September and, with the exception of a 5 day outer reef Scuba trip, nothing has excited me. I had the most incredible 8 months of my life in SE Asia (including 4 months working in Vietnam) and it makes me genuinely sad thinking thinking that I'm no longer there. After the excitement of Asia, Oz just seems dull.

I also couldn't agree with you more about New Zealand, it's an insanely beautiful and incredible country. The people are the most genuine an warm people you will ever come across. I'd definitely go back there without a moments thought.

@johnlenham I totally agree with your 'sod planning' attitude, especially in Asia. Some of the best and most memorable places we went to was on a whim, or recommendation from other travelers. That's the best thing about SE Asia, you can literally book at about 10pm the night before you want to go somewhere and just up and leave the next day with out any hassle.

For anyone that's interested, you can check out the blog of our trip so far http://www.borebags.com
  • Zidargh 7 Mar 2011 15:45:56 1,664 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will do. Feel free to read my blog at Adventures of a Noob.Awesome to hear you all had/are having a great time. I'm still struggling with reverse culture shock but it took some time to come. People are just un-fucking-friendly here. If you wandered around a park going, "Hey, I'm ______. Where you from? How long you been travelling for?" Blah blah, insert generic travel opener, you'd probably be locked up in The Priory.

Currently planning the next trip. Potentially becoming a ski instructor in Canada and then going to do South America/Japan. Really realised how young I am (22) when away and how there is no rush to get into a career just yet. I just wish my mates were not so keen to sell their souls to The Man at such at a ripe age so they could share my enthusiasm.

P.s: You're going to have fun in Thailand. When in Bangkok, stay in the Rambutri area. I stayed in a cool place called The Wild Orchid. One of the more 'up market' hostels with prices that reflect that (about 5 quid for a room) but its really buzzy yet the rooms are really quiet.
  • boo 7 Mar 2011 15:52:55 11,604 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Linkfail, Mr Zidargh, sir!

I think you wanted this

Just Another Lego Blog

• Zidargh 7 Mar 2011 16:45:12 1,664 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why thank you my amigo. :)
  • stevethetraingeek 18 Jun 2011 23:37:53 1 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am a student at Leeds Uni, and am planning on travelling across Europe from the UK this summer by train.

Whilst planning my journey I have been using Description_here as it offers the most extensive range of train tickets throughout Europe, and you can plan your journey starting here in England.

I am really looking forward to a great adventure, but if anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it?
  • cjb_bjc 19 Jun 2011 00:48:46 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can't tell you much about Europe to be honest mate. But if you want tips on Poland or if you decide to head out East than feel free to ask.

/Been back over a month now. Back to the same old routine. Not finding it too bad tbh
  • Red-Moose 19 Jun 2011 02:30:51 5,345 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    stevethetraingeek wrote:
    I am a student at Leeds Uni, and am planning on travelling across Europe from the UK this summer by train.

Whilst planning my journey I have been using Description_here as it offers the most extensive range of train tickets throughout Europe, and you can plan your journey starting here in England.

I am really looking forward to a great adventure, but if anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it?

Start at Bloemendaal an Zee. It's fucking lovely there.
  • Gartt 19 Jun 2011 11:26:40 1,694 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:

/Been back over a month now. Back to the same old routine. Not finding it too bad tbh

Fair play, I didnt know how to deal when I got back, I got so depressed that I didnt leave the house for 2 weeks. It was really weird.
    Are people bored of your stories yet? I found that after a quick run down of the trip people werent too interested after that.

• cjb_bjc 20 Jun 2011 20:36:02 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    People asked but to be honest I'm more bored talking about it then they are listening to it. Hell iv got loads of stories to tell but il dish them out every now and again if there is reason too.

The worst questions are like. Oh so you went to Australia. It's lovely there eh? To which I respond... Yeah I suppose so.

I hated it, it was a shithole but hey let them keep believing
  • johnlenham 21 Jun 2011 09:01:38 4,000 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha by about day three I had condensed my India story to
    "yeah it was amazing, didnt want to come home" just because I was sick of being asked!
  • cjb_bjc 24 Jun 2011 16:41:44 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just thought about this... if someone is thinking about holidays next year then i would definetly recommend Bangkok during Songkran (Thai New Year) for a week or two.

They basically just have a massive water fight in the streets and cover each other in a flour type of substance ;)

It was frickin awesome this year and definetly something you should do at least once!

Oh yeh its usuallly the second week of April or sometime near then

P.S If you do go for two weeks then make sure you get out somewhere afterwards!
  • SYS64738 24 Jun 2011 17:10:45 1,518 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep Songkran rocks
  • Red-Moose 24 Jun 2011 17:21:20 5,345 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the fuck do you mean you recommend some random pisspoor tinpot town that just so happens to have loads of drugs, hookers and a currency less valuable than toilet paper?

I recommend for someone goign on holidays that they stay in the Penninsula Hotel in New York, costing 1000 dollars a night, drinking expensive champagne and being a rich dickhead.

I mean, what the fuck is it with people receommending some shit they did. Some guy I know did that with Australia. "Oh yeah like I am back from my year in Oz. It was amazing, I totally recommend it". Recommend WHAT exactly? Living on a backwards open prison colony desert? Thailand is a third world hellhole with zero democracy that you are there because the currency and cost of living is cheap. How the fuck on earth can anyone recommend that for a holiday, it sounds like a bloody nightmare.
  • Gartt 24 Jun 2011 17:55:26 1,694 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Songkran in Bangkok is great, the whole city gets into it. definately recommended...
  • cjb_bjc 25 Jun 2011 14:15:52 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's so good about spending a week in an overpriced hotel in the states? Bangkok is a fantastic city which has a Hilton ect with overpriced restaurants and high fashion boutiques if thats your style.

I was talking more ab
  • cjb_bjc 25 Jun 2011 14:16:38 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ... About the experience tbh mate.
  • jablonski 25 Jun 2011 14:50:38 1,755 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    The worst questions are like. Oh so you went to Australia. It's lovely there eh? To which I respond... Yeah I suppose so.

I hated it, it was a shithole but hey let them keep believing

Whats so bad about it?
    What part did you go to?

I'm going to have to go to Sydney later this year for 3 weeks, so I a tad worried it will be poop
  • cjb_bjc 25 Jun 2011 23:29:22 942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't mean to sound so hard on it. Sydney was lovely. Spent two weeks there over Christmas and new years and know many that have been there much longer.

When travelling a big city like that doesn't mean too much as most things are quite c
  • Page

of 8 First / Last