PSP Exclusive Rpg: Jeanne D'Arc

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Forebodin 20 Sep 2006 01:20:42 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is old news, but I thought in case it passed some people by, I'd make a thread about it...Especially since, I see it as one of the most promising upcoming games for the PSP.

Jeanne D'Arc is an original grid-based rpg with historic (see Joan of Arc) and fantasy (see talking lion) tie-ins.

Currently only scheduled to be released in Japan (to my horror), let's hope it also gets an EU/US release date.

The trailer shows how epic this game will be: Jeanne D'Arc Trailer

Releasing in Japan this winter, Jeanne D'Arc will likely be the best PSP RPG that those in the West will never play.

(Edit: couldn't get the screenshots to show)

Edited by Forebodin at 01:25:59 20-09-2006
  • ilmaestro 20 Sep 2006 01:33:47 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm kinda pleased to see games like this appearing, but I'm not a big fan of the story of Jeanne D'Arc and also the Japanese release couldn't be happening at a worse time - same week as the PSP version of Riviera and one week before Disgaea, both proven to be quality games already. I should buy the original IP to support the effort, I suppose, but for some reason I don't want to. :(

• ilmaestro 20 Sep 2006 01:39:01 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bejesus, I watched the trailer anyway and I'd been so put off by the Jeanne D'Arc aspect of it that I hadn't realized it was from Level 5! This is bought.

• Forebodin 20 Sep 2006 01:50:03 161 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    I'm kinda pleased to see games like this appearing, but I'm not a big fan of the story of Jeanne D'Arc and also the Japanese release couldn't be happening at a worse time - same week as the PSP version of Riviera and one week before Disgaea, both proven to be quality games already. I should buy the original IP to support the effort, I suppose, but for some reason I don't want to. :(

To each their own. I personally found the graphics very appealing (not to mention the cutscenes...). I don't know much about the storyline, however, I've read that the beginning is history-based while the end is fiction. (The talking lions and undead appearing somewhere in the middle I'm guessing)

That it's not a port, a remake, or any other shade of grey is one of the most appealing aspects to me. (not that I won't be playing FFVII come November)
  • itamae 20 Sep 2006 06:48:50 9,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd steer clear of Riviera for the PSP, the upscaled and filtered graphics look terrible compared to the GBA original. The game itself, however, is excellent, although it's definitely not your standard run of the mill JRPG, and not at all similar to Disgaea or Jeanne d'Arc.

That aside though, I'm very much looking forward to (an understandable version of) Jeanne d'Arc.

Edited by itamae at 06:55:23 26-09-2006
  • ilmaestro 25 Sep 2006 20:04:47 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooh, didn't spot your reply there mate, thanks for the tip-off. I might try to find a GBA version somewhere, then.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 28 Oct 2006 14:53:23 10,852 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lookin' good!

One to watch out for on the ol' Famitsu reviews.
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Oct 2006 15:52:46 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeanne D'Arc seems to be straddling a line somewhere in between all three major styles of RPG: the Fire Emblem style, the Nippon Ichi style and the Tactics Ogre/FFT style. The game is turn-based like Fire Emblem.

In a system that seems combined Nippon Ichi and Fire Emblem, when you attack an enemy, the adjacent square(s) will fire up in sparks and be called a burning site. If a part of your unit is standing there, their attack power will go up, if not, the square will become a burning site and those who step on it will get enhanced attack power. With one attack you can link burning sites from character to character, by having them pass on the burning link in having them in the right places relative to the person who initiates it.

Similarly, if you're standing in special formations close to each other, the defense level of each character in the formation will go up. Level 5 mentions this as a way to avoid those situations where you can barely stand up to an ultra powerful enemy.

As well, there is a system where characters can change into powerful holy beasts and access higher stats/new powers through mystical bracelets. Sounds a bit like the shapeshifters from the newest FE games, since enemies can use them too.

Each character can equip six skill stones, which function just like you'd expect from the name. The purple ones unearth dormant powers in the character, the red ones special command skills, the green ones give magic, and the light blue manipulate stats, additional skills and support effects.

Gamaaru from Rogue Galaxy returns (!) and you can feed him two different skill stones to combine them and create a new one, perhaps unearthing new abilities.

So yeah, as usual for Level 5, Jeanne D'Arc seems to have a lot going for it.
  • ilmaestro 15 Nov 2006 14:16:21 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This just in from Famitsu:

Jeanne D'Arc (PSP, Level 5): 10 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (33/40)

• itamae 15 Nov 2006 15:00:47 9,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    At least it isn't totally abysmal then. Really looking forward to this. Well, an understandable version that is.
  • HiddenAway 1 Feb 2007 20:02:45 14,856 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In case no-one's looked, here's the official Japanese site.

Also, according to PSPFanboy (Google led me, honest!), the 3.01 PSP update (the one that came out before everyone not on homebrew started to go to 3.00) was because Jeanne D'Arc wouldn't load on 3.00!

Edited by HiddenAway at 20:03:35 01-02-2007

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• ilmaestro 1 Feb 2007 20:08:47 32,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crikey, another game that I really should get around to playing. I'll have enough random RPGs from this console generation to last me well into retirement, I think.

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • rickalish 23 Aug 2012 21:38:04 1,790 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just completed this and have found out that Liane can be resurrected after completion.
    Does anyone know if this affects the story and the ending or whether it's just a lazy addition?
  • redcrayon 23 Aug 2012 23:07:51 4,544 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry Rickalish, it's been years since I played it and I can barely remember a thing!
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Aug 2012 23:24:51 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From what I remember, (and a GameFAQs board) I think it's purely to appease folk for the postgame. Shouldn't have any bearing on the story.
  • rickalish 24 Aug 2012 00:36:44 1,790 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's what I thought. Shame that.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next