Amazon Kindle Page 4

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• RyanDS 29 Jul 2010 09:29:40 9,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll stick to my Sony Reader, having an Apple type situation where you can only put what they want you to put on your hardware disgusts me.

/strokes Reader with 1277 books on it...
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:30:10 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds like she likes 'books' and not 'e-readers'.
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:30:38 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    I'll stick to my Sony Reader, having an Apple type situation where you can only put what they want you to put on your hardware disgusts me.

You can put almost any e-book you can dream of on an iPad, so it seems odd that Amazon are so restrictive in what they allow, especially given their stance on DRM in music.
  • THFourteen 29 Jul 2010 09:31:45 32,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    Sounds like she likes 'books' and not 'e-readers'.

yeah but she'll surf the internet for ages on the ipad.

its just wierd.
  • RyanDS 29 Jul 2010 09:33:51 9,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:

You can put almost any e-book you can dream of on an iPad, so it seems odd that Amazon are so restrictive in what they allow, especially given their stance on DRM in music.
    I read a lot though, and I find a proper ebook reader is much better on the eyes than an LCD screen. Also the Sony Reader is great for the beach etc when the sun is really bright, not to mention 1 month between battery recharges.
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:34:46 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It doesn't really follow that someone who uses an electronic device for browsing the internet (something which requires an electronic device to read and always has) will automatically totally love reading books on the same thing.

Trust me, if you're a fan of books, it's hard to let go and embrace them on a digital screen. I tried it for a while and while I certainly got through a few books, there's nothing quite like holding a real book.
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:34:49 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:36:32 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Jackface wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:

I read a lot though, and I find a proper ebook reader is much better on the eyes than an LCD screen. Also the Sony Reader is great for the beach etc when the sun is really bright, not to mention 1 month between battery recharges.
    Yeah, e-paper is pretty clever, I agree with that, especially for outdoor reading. An e-paper e-reader would be just another gadget to take with me, though. I think I'd rather have the actual book in that case, having already got an iPad. I do love actual books :)
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:36:34 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • speedofthepuma 29 Jul 2010 09:36:42 13,266 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like reading, but that doesn't mean I want to see all your posts twice Owen.

I wonder if my wife would like one of these.. It's getting to the price range where as a gift it might be worth getting her even if she doesn't use it it's not the end of the world.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:37:03 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't want to either, no idea what's going on.
  • THFourteen 29 Jul 2010 09:48:03 32,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    I like reading, but that doesn't mean I want to see all your posts twice Owen.

I wonder if my wife would like one of these.. It's getting to the price range where as a gift it might be worth getting her even if she doesn't use it it's not the end of the world.

i was just thinking the same.

maybe she's just put off by the weight of the ipad and the shinyness of the screen, but a small e-ink ereader might change her mind.

need to get her a wedding gift....
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:55:04 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wasn't your gift to her the fact that you married her?

/didn't buy his wife a wedding gift
  • Alastair 29 Jul 2010 10:54:15 15,442 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jackface wrote:

Is that because you spent all your money on a wedding you forgot to turn up to, plus 2 iPads and 2 iPhone 4G?

Not as nice as I used to be

• mwtb 29 Jul 2010 11:03:56 2,381 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    the missus refuses to try one of these for some inane reason.

she reads books all the bloody time, our shelf is overflowing with them

Some people are attached to the physical format of paper books. A similar thing occured with LPs -> CDs -> MP3 except with books the new tech has fewer obvious advantages (most people don't feel a strong need to carry their entire book library around with them) and some large disadvantages in some situations (dropping a paperback in the bath isn't the same level of disaster as an eReader). I'm sure most people will come around eventually, if begrudgingly, but it's not going to have the same trajectory as MP3 players.
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 11:06:17 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Jackface wrote:

Is that because you spent all your money on a wedding you forgot to turn up to, plus 2 iPads and 2 iPhone 4G?
    Huh? Um, none of that is true, so... No, it's because the groom doesn't buy his wife a wedding gift, you numpty!
  • kalel 29 Jul 2010 11:07:51 86,345 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I read about a book a week, and should be the core audience for an e-reader, but there are still many many advantages to books beyond just "liking books".

I would not for example want to use an e-reader on a windy sandy beach when my hands are covered in suntan lotion, nor would I want to have one when I'm on a lilo in the sea, or even in a pool, or even in the bath.

Holidays are the main time when e-readers would be most useful as I have packing 10 books, but it's also when they would be least useful due to the circumstances under which I read on holiday.

Also a more minor point, but it would be a pain not being able to read on take-off or landing. Those are the two times I need to be distracted from flying the most.
  • Load_2.0 29 Jul 2010 11:09:57 18,900 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You didn't turn up to your wedding?
  • Alastair 29 Jul 2010 11:10:01 15,442 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    Alastair wrote:

Huh? Um, none of that is true, so... No, it's because the groom doesn't buy his wife a wedding gift, you numpty!

So it wasn't you that booked a castle in the Highlands and then forgot to turn up?
    And you didn't buy two iPads, and 2 new iPhones?

• RyanDS 29 Jul 2010 11:10:23 9,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mwtb wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Some people are attached to the physical format of paper books. A similar thing occured with LPs -> CDs -> MP3 except with books the new tech has fewer obvious advantages (most people don't feel a strong need to carry their entire book library around with them) and some large disadvantages in some situations (dropping a paperback in the bath isn't the same level of disaster as an eReader). I'm sure most people will come around eventually, if begrudgingly, but it's not going to have the same trajectory as MP3 players.

6 of my friends have bought Sony Readers or similar devices following my recomendations, every one was actually quite opposed to the idea until I sat them down with mine, showed them it's uses and lent them one for a few days.

The difference between the ebook readers and the MP3 players etc is that the benefits aren't immediately obvious and there is a change which people don't expect to like. Advertising and such isn't what sells these imo, it's word of mouth. eg most people say they will hate not holding a book, but after a few days they don't notice anymore.
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 11:11:01 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mwtb wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

I know some stubborn audiophiles said what I'm about to say about LPs too but I think this is different - I really don't think e-readers are going to take over books for the overwhelming majority of the population for a long, long time. I notice that Amazon claim to be selling more e-Books than real books at the moment but I don't think that necessarily points to the death of real books. There's only really two big companies selling e-Books to the mass market right now, and one of them is Amazon.

I just don't think the mass market wants to read off a screen, yet, and until e-Readers can solve the problem they have of smushing all the typesetting of a novel into the universal clone-type of an e-Reader, books have a massive selling point over e-Readers. The only way around that until e-Readers evolve is to create a custom app as opposed to just selling a text file in iBooks or Kindle.
  • Alastair 29 Jul 2010 11:26:11 15,442 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why did you change 'idiots' to 'stubborn audiophiles'?

• Psychotext 29 Jul 2010 11:37:18 53,816 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll be buying one of these. Price is basically right for me now and I've gotten to the point where having mobility is more important than my attachment to the old dead trees.
  • Lexx87 29 Jul 2010 11:41:54 20,869 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Arn't these kind of readers getting a little obsolete though?

With say iBook on the iPhone and whatever it is that lets you read e-books on Android (must be something?) just built in to a device why would people continue to buy a device that only does that?

Actual question actually interested :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• Alastair 29 Jul 2010 11:42:25 15,442 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm unconvinced by them. I agree with Owen's final paragraph. Reading off an e-reader in a standard font removes some of the uniqueness of a book. Plus, do they include the illustrations that can appear at chapter start and end?
    Also, kalel's points about having one on holiday all ring true.

• mwtb 29 Jul 2010 11:44:08 2,381 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Paper-like display tech, weight, price.
  • RyanDS 29 Jul 2010 11:44:09 9,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Arn't these kind of readers getting a little obsolete though?

With say iBook on the iPhone and whatever it is that lets you read e-books on Android (must be something?) just built in to a device why would people continue to buy a device that only does that?

Actual question actually interested :p

One month battery life and a much much better screen for reading. (ie doesn't cause eyestrain and also can be used in bright settings.)

It's kind of like asking why buy a camera when your hone has one built in. Sure, the phone does, but not nearly as good.
  • RyanDS 29 Jul 2010 11:44:50 9,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I'm unconvinced by them. I agree with Owen's final paragraph. Reading off an e-reader in a standard font removes some of the uniqueness of a book. Plus, do they include the illustrations that can appear at chapter start and end?
    Also, kalel's points about having one on holiday all ring true.

Yes, there are illustrations depending on teh format. Obviously only black and white though.
  • Lexx87 29 Jul 2010 11:46:04 20,869 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I see that but i'm sure many people would rather make do if they have something that does it but not as well rather than shelling out for another device to have around.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Alastair 29 Jul 2010 11:46:33 15,442 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well that's something I guess.
    The missus reads more than I do, and I'm sure she's see it as a waste of money when she can get books from the library for nothing.

• Page

of 70 First / Last