Amazon Kindle Page 3

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• Deleted user 1 March 2009 22:57:20
    Trowel wrote:
    Part of the Kindle 2 launch:
    Author Stephen King announced today that he is releasing a novella, “Ur,” which will only be available on Kindle. At the center of Ur is lovelorn college English instructor Wesley Smith, who can't seem to get his ex-girlfriend's parting shot out of his head: "Why can't you just read off the computer like the rest of us?" Egged on by her question and piqued by a student's suggestion, Wesley places an order for a Kindle. Smith’s Kindle arrives in a box stamped with the smile logo and unlocks a literary world that even the most avid of book lovers could never imagine. But once the door is open, there are those things that one hopes we'll never read or live through.
    http://www.stephenking.com/promo/ur_kindle/
    Wow, that sounds awful.
  • Khanivor 1 Mar 2009 23:00:41 40,348 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks a lot better than the first one, which looked like a prop from Buck Rogers. However, unless it's waterproof - not resistant, proof - then it's little use to me.
  • Trowel 1 Mar 2009 23:05:25 17,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    Part of the Kindle 2 launch:
    Author Stephen King announced today that he is releasing a novella, “Ur,” which will only be available on Kindle. At the center of Ur is lovelorn college English instructor Wesley Smith, who can't seem to get his ex-girlfriend's parting shot out of his head: "Why can't you just read off the computer like the rest of us?" Egged on by her question and piqued by a student's suggestion, Wesley places an order for a Kindle. Smith’s Kindle arrives in a box stamped with the smile logo and unlocks a literary world that even the most avid of book lovers could never imagine. But once the door is open, there are those things that one hopes we'll never read or live through.
    http://www.stephenking.com/promo/ur_kindle/
    Wow, that sounds awful.
    I think we always knew he'd eventually sell his soul to the Devil(/Amazon).
  • cubbymoore 1 Mar 2009 23:32:32 36,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So you'd be reading on your kindle about some guy who has a better kindle than you. That must be a great sensation.
  • ecureuil 17 Jul 2009 20:51:28 76,479 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, this is a bit scary.

Amazon basically guaranteed that I'll never buy a Kindle last night by bending to the wishes of a publisher and deleting every single legitimately-purchased copy of 1984 and Animal Farm from all Kindles remotely. Ridiculous.

Apparently, the publisher changed its mind about having electronic versions of Orwell's books. So Amazon removed them from the store and in the process remotely deleted the books from the Kindles of anyone who bought them, depositing a refund in their account in the process.

If there's a better argument for dead-tree books and against the Kindle, I'd like to know what it is. If you can't be sure that you own something after you pay for it, what's the point? How many people were halfway through these books that they paid for and now are shit out of luck?

Amazon says this is a "rarity," but even once is too many times for bullshit like this to happen. Once I buy a book from Barnes & Noble, I never have to worry about them breaking into my house and taking it back, leaving me a pile of singles on my nightstand.

And of course the fact that this happened to 1984, of all books, makes this even more surreal.
  • Jeepers 17 Jul 2009 21:12:47 13,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can see many of the benefits on an e-reader, but I just can't get over the mental hurdle of not having the dead-tree product in my hands or on my shelves. It's fetishisation, but I love the artifact almost as much as I love the words themselves.

And you can't read a Kindle in the bath.
  • Deleted user 17 July 2009 21:23:50
    Real books don't run out of battery.

Thus, Kindle = fail.
  • paul_haine 1 Aug 2009 02:25:05 4,205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Teen to sue Amazon for deleting 1984

A Michigan teenager is launching a class-action lawsuit against online book retailer Amazon, alleging the company rendered his study notes on George Orwell's 1984 useless when it deleted the novel from his and other customers' Kindle e-book readers earlier in July.

Justin D. Gawronski, 17, "now needs to recreate all of his studies," alleges the complaint filed Thursday in Seattle by the law firm KamberEdelson, LLC.

Gawronski took copious notes using the Kindle that were linked to particular passages in the book, the court document says, and while those notes are still accessible, they are useless without the passages they reference.
  • RedSparrows 1 Aug 2009 13:04:22 21,961 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's poor form from Amazon, but kid, sheesh, pick up the book. You should at least note page numbers on paper SOMEWHERE.
  • [maven] 7 Oct 2009 09:54:21 5,148 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now available in an international edition (but shipped from the US, i.e. custom's duty & VAT).

I am kinda tempted, but upon checking whether the books I'd recently bought were available, I came away disappointed (Alastair Reynolds - House of Suns (n.a. in Europe), Peter F. Hamilton – nada, Joe Abercrombie – nada).

Otherwise I am quite tempted...
  • FairgroundTown 7 Oct 2009 10:05:56 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is that it suffers from PSP-Go Syndrome - total lock-in to content which is priced exactly the same as retail/ physical product, despite the now-negligible distribution costs, and I just can't get over the feeling I'm being ripped-off.

(PS - It doesn't matter whether I actually *AM* being ripped-off - as long as I feel it, I won't be buying.)
  • Aranel 7 Oct 2009 10:43:14 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    The problem is that it suffers from PSP-Go Syndrome - total lock-in to content which is priced exactly the same as retail/ physical product, despite the now-negligible distribution costs, and I just can't get over the feeling I'm being ripped-off.

(PS - It doesn't matter whether I actually *AM* being ripped-off - as long as I feel it, I won't be buying.)

So what's the best eBook Reader to get then? (I want to get my mother one for Christmas). I need one that's intuitive to use for non-techies and that can handle books in .txt format.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2009 10:47:26
    The only reason the Kindle appeals to me is the no-charge 3g connection which I'd probably use for newspapers. Aside from that I really don't see the point in an average person having an ereader, given that ebooks somehow seem to cost more than paperbacks.
  • senso-ji 7 Oct 2009 10:48:07 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The other option out there is the Sony Reader it's pricey, and doesn't hold many books, but you can expand it with a memory card and you can upload pdfs, txt docs, ms word docs, etc. Very tempting.
  • Aranel 7 Oct 2009 10:51:02 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    The other option out there is the Sony Reader it's pricey, and doesn't hold many books, but you can expand it with a memory card and you can upload pdfs, txt docs, ms word docs, etc. Very tempting.

This is the one I was thinking of getting -but there appear to be a whole load of new ones coming out at the moment so I wasn't sure whether they were better than the PRS-505. I know there's a better Sony one now (PRS-600?) but it's a bit out of my price range I think.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2009 10:53:28
    Borders have the SOny ones on display to play with. I wasnt overly impressed when I did as they seemed very unresponsive.

They also had another model by another company (began with an E I think) which seemed similar but cheaper.
  • MiniAmin 7 Oct 2009 10:58:04 3,389 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AngeleDei wrote:
    Borders have the SOny ones on display to play with. I wasnt overly impressed when I did as they seemed very unresponsive.

They also had another model by another company (began with an E I think) which seemed similar but cheaper.

Unresponsive and they have poor zoom functionality for PDFs. It's all garnered towards EPUBs. I'd love to buy an ereader but I cannot justify the price until they improve. I considered the Sony Touch until I realised I could read the same material and do much much more on a netbook.
  • Pirotic Moderator 7 Oct 2009 10:58:53 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't stand the Kindle, it's another one of those platforms which only really benefits the provider rather than the user. You spend full RRP price on books you never really own on a device which may or may not even let you read your own books in a few years time. I remember when Amazon recommended 'burning and re-ripping' all the music you purchased from them as they decided to shut the store and the DRM servers down (or was that someone else?) and I really fail to see how that approach to books benefits me in any way.

I like the idea of having loads of books with me, and I like the idea of not wasting so much paper. Just let me buy book 'vouchers' in retail stores where I can go home and download the pdf and whack it on my ereader.
  • DaM 7 Oct 2009 10:59:10 12,884 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My wife is desperate for a Kindle, and I kind of see the point of a ebook reader, it's just that no one has made one I would buy so far.... I think the iTab/iPad thing might be different. Or maybe wait for one I can roll up, an electronic paper type thing.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2009 10:59:26
    My mate had an iLiad, and that was utterly ridiculous to use. Took two minutes to startup from cold, took about 30 seconds to load a book and about 6-10 seconds to turn a page. The battery also only lasted about 3 hours of solid usage.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2009 11:00:53
    Pirotic wrote:
    I remember when Amazon recommended 'burning and re-ripping' all the music you purchased from them as they decided to shut the store and the DRM servers down (or was that someone else?) and I really fail to see how that approach to books benefits me in any way.

Would have been someone else. Amazon's mp3 store has always been completely DRM free.

You're possibly thinking of Plays4Sure or whatever that MS one prior to Zune was.
  • El_MUERkO 7 Oct 2009 11:31:34 16,948 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    if i get an ereader (and i probably will) it defnitely will not be linked to a single store and you'll never in a million years get me to pay more thant £4/5 for a book on it

the plastic logic ebook reader looks nice but i think they've now sold their soul to Barnes and Noble so i'll wait for a DRM free knock off from china that gets good review on engadget or the like :)
  • Aranel 7 Oct 2009 11:47:36 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    if i get an ereader (and i probably will) it defnitely will not be linked to a single store and you'll never in a million years get me to pay more thant £4/5 for a book on it

This is why whatever I get needs to be able to read .txt files as I have a whole load of books I can upload for my mother onto the device.

AngeleDei

I don't like e-ink as it currently takes too long to refresh the page - I read very quickly and the delay is distracting. My DS is the best compromise for me at the moment, although it does hurt my eyes if I read for too long. I do think a book reader would be perfect for my mother though, but I have no idea which one to buy.
  • ilmaestro 7 Oct 2009 19:01:34 32,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Very much enjoying the Sony Reader so far (bought the PRS-600 a couple of weeks ago), I think I posted some thoughts on it in the relevant thread. If you're not desperate to have one right now though I would at least wait and see how the next version of the Reader (The "Daily Edition", which will be wi-fied up, etc) is looking when it comes out at the end of the year.

• FairgroundTown 7 Oct 2009 19:22:04 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know two people with Sony Readers - both veeeery happy. One is into 'classics', so she just fills it up with legal (out of copyright) free stuff; and the other is into thrillers, so he fills it up with free stuff too... only his free stuff isn't quite as legal... by which I mean it isn't legal at all... ooo-arrrr and all that!
  • Dougs 22 Jul 2010 19:40:07 66,588 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BUMP....

---

I thought this was rather interesting. Could be the market shift ebooks are looking for
  • mwtb 29 Jul 2010 09:22:59 2,381 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're very nearly tempting me to finally get one with these new kindle models. I think the price still needs to be squeezed below $100 to go truly mass-market, but that can't be far away.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 29 Jul 2010 09:27:39 1,544 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new kindle looks great and is cheap enough to buy without really thinking about it too much. But it looks like its file format support is crippled. I can't see if it supports eubs or not which is a bit of a let down for an ebook reader.

Still, looks pretty. Don't think I will be giving up my android ebook reader anytime soon though.
  • Jackface 29 Jul 2010 09:28:19 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 29 Jul 2010 09:29:24 32,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the missus refuses to try one of these for some inane reason.

she reads books all the bloody time, our shelf is overflowing with them
  • Page

of 70 First / Last