Amazon Kindle Page 20

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 December 2010 20:25:30
    Thanks to Duokan my Kindle is now dual-boot. Duokan lets you read Kindle-store bought books and has full ePub support too :-D

Booting into each OS takes a few seconds, just needs one button press and doesn't affect any existing (or future) firmware. Nor do you need to jailbreak your Kindle
  • FooAtari 26 Dec 2010 03:28:13 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How easy was Duokan to install? Looks pretty straight forward from the FAQ.

I got my wife one for Christmas, and while I thought it would be pretty sweet, it's all kinds of awesome and I want one. But only being able to buy from Amazon is a little annoying.

I don't want to go kill my Kindle if I buy one, so was it painless to install Duokan? and when you say if only takes a few seconds to boot, is that literally, like 2 - 3 seconds?
  • steellam 26 Dec 2010 10:45:16 1,061 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decided to take the plunge on one of these after over a year of saying I would never use one, just have to wait for delivery :(
  • Phily50 26 Dec 2010 12:22:46 2,383 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got one of these baby's for Christmas from the Missus along with the case with the light. First impressions....WOW! The screen is just awesome and having never even seen an ebook reader before, I am already converted I think!

So I proceeded to download 'Once bitten' - a bargain vampire ebook that is top of the kindle store charts. So far so good, but I'm only about 10 % through it.

What's all this about rooting and dual booting and is it true that I can only download books from Amazon and not....ahem.....'elsewhere'?
  • Deleted user 26 December 2010 12:36:36
    You can get books from all the usual places. Just convert them into mobi format. For that you'll need the e-book manager, Calibre.

Have a read back a few pages, you can get newspapers, magazines etc sent to it, all for free.
  • Deleted user 26 December 2010 15:41:25
    FooAtari wrote:
    How easy was Duokan to install? Looks pretty straight forward from the FAQ.

I got my wife one for Christmas, and while I thought it would be pretty sweet, it's all kinds of awesome and I want one. But only being able to buy from Amazon is a little annoying.

I don't want to go kill my Kindle if I buy one, so was it painless to install Duokan? and when you say if only takes a few seconds to boot, is that literally, like 2 - 3 seconds?

Dead easy, literally just drop the Duokan files into the root folder. Switching OSes takes 30 seconds or so but only because that's the amount of time it takes to fully reboot the Kindle anyway.
  • PhoenixFlames 27 Dec 2010 17:27:11 9,263 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Should you keep this thing on sleep mode all the time or turn it completely off?
  • Deleted user 27 December 2010 17:28:02
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Should you keep this thing on sleep mode all the time or turn it completely off?

Leave it in sleep mode. It only uses power when it changes the screen, so switching it off each time will actually drain the battery faster.
  • PhoenixFlames 27 Dec 2010 17:31:01 9,263 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:

Leave it in sleep mode. It only uses power when it changes the screen, so switching it off each time will actually drain the battery faster.

Thanks. I thought as much. The missus has been turning it off :)
  • robthehermit 27 Dec 2010 23:16:17 6,008 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My lovely wife bought me one for christmas, love it to pieces, lots of useful features like dictionary look up.

Obviously I did what everyone does and downloaded a load of the free classics from the kindle store. So far so good.

Today I went into Waterstones for some inspriration for potential downloads and discovered something. Despite there being thousands of kindle books available, try standing in the science fiction and fantasy section of Waterstones, mobile browser in hand, and see how many of them are available for download. I'll give you a clue, it's a fair bit less than a lot.

Fortunately, when I got home, I went to the naughty places and found a substantial collection all in one big download, packed with the sort of books I actually want to read. I'm going to start reading 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' tonight, the blurb sounds brilliant, might be shit, but it might not be.
  • FooAtari 27 Dec 2010 23:32:35 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    You can get books from all the usual places. Just convert them into mobi format. For that you'll need the e-book manager, Calibre.

So would that remove the need for having Duokan?

Thanks for the way, Telefunken
  • Deleted user 27 December 2010 23:56:04
    FooAtari wrote:
    Greggywocky... wrote:

So would that remove the need for having Duokan?

Thanks for the way, Telefunken

Pretty much. I use Kindle massively and have never found a need to even jailbreak it tbh.

That said, I do wish they'd introduce some rolling screensaver program based on the cover of your books. Heaven forbid people think I'm reading Agatha Christie, ffs.. :)
  • Dougs 27 Dec 2010 23:57:51 82,035 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Heh, my first thought was that the screensaver should be the cover of the book you're reading. Assumed a jailbreak might do that.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2010 00:00:02
    I think it probably does, but if that's the only advantage I can't be arsed. :)
  • Dougs 28 Dec 2010 00:09:16 82,035 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aye JB doesn't interest me either. Tis an awesome bit of kit though. And whilst the store isn't perfect, it's good enough for me and competitive pressures will iron out prices hopefully.
  • mrpon 28 Dec 2010 00:17:44 33,120 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The in-laws got one for Xmas. They never realised it doesn't have a light.

/facepalm
  • Dougs 28 Dec 2010 00:18:40 82,035 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As in backlit? Case with light should see them well...
  • mrpon 28 Dec 2010 00:20:44 33,120 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup and they had seen mine as well, guess they never realised what the tech was. It really should be treated exactly like a paper book!
  • Dougs 28 Dec 2010 00:22:39 82,035 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Their eyes will be thankful for the lack of one I guess! We got the father-in-law one, living in France, he was most excited about getting a daily paper sent to him!
  • Deleted user 28 December 2010 00:25:08
    When I opened it for the first time I remember trying to pull off the 'paper' warning message that was attached... :)
  • Razz 28 Dec 2010 00:30:07 63,141 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    :D Heh, everyone does that. I think amazon did that on purpose.
  • FooAtari 28 Dec 2010 13:55:55 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm trying to convert an ebub book to mobi, however when I do it is adding in extra line spacing all over the place. It's not a total disaster, the main thing is the book converts and I and I can use it just fine in the Kindle, however it would be nice to keep the original format which is easier to read and inline with the paperback. Anyone know how to stop it adding the extra line spacing. See the problem here.

Thanks
  • Deleted user 28 December 2010 15:11:06
    FooAtari wrote:
    I'm trying to convert an ebub book to mobi, however when I do it is adding in extra line spacing all over the place. It's not a total disaster, the main thing is the book converts and I and I can use it just fine in the Kindle, however it would be nice to keep the original format which is easier to read and inline with the paperback. Anyone know how to stop it adding the extra line spacing. See the problem here.

Thanks

When you convert, in the 'look and feel' section, put a tick in 'remove spacing between paragraphs' box. You may want to change it from Original to Justify there as well, over on the right..
  • Deleted user 28 December 2010 16:57:24
    Converting epub to mobi is a PITA and always results in dodgy spacing or large left margins. The only way to get it absolutely right is to:

- Convert epub to epub in Calibre, removing the spacing and margins in the "look and feel" section
    - Open the resulting file in Sigil
    - edit the stylesheet in Sigil to make sure that all references to "leftmargin" are set to "0"
    - save the file in Sigil then open it in Calibre again
    - use Calibre to convert to mobi

Takes about 5 minutes per book. Not a major deal unless you're converting a lot of stuff
  • FooAtari 28 Dec 2010 19:40:35 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks Greggywoky, but tried changing all kinds of settings in Calibre to the same effect. Should have said I already did that.

Thanks Tele, will give that a go.
    When you say remove margins, do you mean Indent size? Or do you mean margins under page setup?
    Also should justification be left as 'original'?
  • Deleted user 28 December 2010 19:50:52
    Weird. Removing the paragraph spacing usually works for me. On the odd occassion though I've had to select everything in the ebook viewer, copy and paste it into Word, sort it out and save in rtf format, then convert the rtf to mobi.
  • FooAtari 28 Dec 2010 20:17:25 3,955 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The problem is, it's adding spaces in the mobi version, that are not in the epub version.

@Tele
    Well if I followed your instructions correctly, no difference :(
    I'll have a play around with it.

OK, so it says this where the spaces are when viewed in Sigli

Anyone tell me what it means? I assume it's using the calibre3 section of the style sheet to format it, but not sure what   means. Maybe Google will tell me...

Apparently it means this
    "  is the entity used to represent a non-breaking space. It is essentially a standard space, the primary difference being that a browser should not break (or wrap) a line of text at the point that this   occupies. "

Removing all instances of it fixed the problem anyway :D
  • coastal 9 Jan 2011 13:20:25 5,420 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Two useful sites for kindle;

instapaper allows you to send web pages to your kindle.
    kindle feeder packs up your rss feeds and delivers them to your kindle's door.
  • yegon 10 Jan 2011 20:22:16 6,003 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've a few questions about the actual Kindle, and the Kindle iPhone app.

I assume I can use my own drm-free ebooks (converted to mobi I presume?) with the iPhone Kindle app? If I had the exact same ebooks (that I'd converted myself) on my actual Kindle, would it sync my place on both my iPhone and Kindle via whisper sync? Or does that feature only work with ebooks purchased/downloaded from the Amazon store?
  • Deleted user 10 January 2011 20:33:04
    Only kindlestore books sync, sadly
  • Page

of 78 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.