Amazon Kindle Page 2

• Page

of 74 First / Last

• Telepathic.Geometry 22 Nov 2007 22:20:07 11,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @bainbrge: I think the plus points of an e-Book reader are potentially as follows:

1. Portability. Having all of your books with you at
    all times. Like what the ipod did for me and music.
    2. Reference material: Having all of your reference books with
    you, and being able to access them with ease... For example, looking through a dictionary for a word electronically).
    3. Being able to underline, highlight, add notes in the
    margin, add multiple bookmarks for pages/quotes etc.
    4. Being able to have news papers/comics/periodicals
    or whatever sent to you wirelessly the moment they're
    available. :)
    5. Environmentally and economically: Think of all of the savings to
    your wallet (legally or illegally) and the paper that doesn't have to
    be produced/transported now.

I could probably think of more reasons, but these are the main ones that have me so excited about the potential of the medium.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Xerx3s 22 Nov 2007 22:28:24 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jesus, that looks like some early 90's testlab prototype. That's fugly.
  • ilmaestro 22 Nov 2007 22:53:38 32,537 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    2. Reference material... For example, looking through a dictionary for a word electronically
    Imagine if they already had a device for just that application! ;)

• Telepathic.Geometry 22 Nov 2007 22:59:47 11,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote: 2. Reference material... For example, looking through a dictionary for a word electronically...
    ilmaestro wrote: Imagine if they already had a device for just that application! ;)
    Well they do, of course, but they already had devices to play music before the ipod. Ya know. I know you were kinda ribbing me there (ooh matron) but I still have to say: The key to devices like the ipod and e-book readers is down to just gigantic convenience. IMO.

• funkyd 22 Nov 2007 23:01:50 7,522 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My homebrew PSP reads text files and all that e-book stuff. :)
  • ilmaestro 22 Nov 2007 23:31:22 32,537 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote: 2. Reference material... For example, looking through a dictionary for a word electronically...
    ilmaestro wrote: Imagine if they already had a device for just that application! ;)
    Well they do, of course, but they already had devices to play music before the ipod. Ya know. I know you were kinda ribbing me there (ooh matron) but I still have to say: The key to devices like the ipod and e-book readers is down to just gigantic convenience. IMO.
    I definitely agree with you on the reference books point. Not so much about the dictionaries, though, at least with ereaders in their current state. It would be a fuck ton cheaper, though, as you would expect with an inferior alternative.

• urban 22 Nov 2007 23:56:41 11,069 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    problem being, i beat the shit out of my books, i can't beat the shit out of that.
  • otto Moderator 23 Nov 2007 00:52:39 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have a Cybook Gen3 in my shopping cart, my finger is hovering over the 'order' button... :o

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• ilmaestro 23 Nov 2007 01:05:58 32,537 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    G'wan, otto! We could do with some hands-on reports of some different ones.

• otto Moderator 23 Nov 2007 02:02:54 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ngggg expensive...! :/

Plus I just read this!

"in about six to twelve months we'll will compare those readers against the upcoming new flexible A4 devices."

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• The_Aardvark 23 Nov 2007 09:14:42 3,063 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really can't see dedicated e-readers taking off. It's just another bit of kit to tote around.

e-reading, on the other hand, via a phone or even a portable console sounds great. But it's mainly a software function so I see no reason why you need to buy an extra bit of hardware.

Also, for me, part of the joy of an e-reader is access to books that aren't in print for one reason or another. That's a bit screwed if Amazon are only connecting the Kindle to major publishers. And tying in to a mobile carrier is stupid. Why not just make it wifi so that you can go onto the internet and find content yourself?

All in all, poor concept, poor execution.
  • sanctusmortis 23 Nov 2007 18:31:40 9,804 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whatever happened to that flexible paper-like membrane some tech firm showed off a year or so ago?
  • Carlo 23 Nov 2007 18:34:23 18,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not bright enough!

PSN ID: Djini

• Carlo 23 Nov 2007 18:37:57 18,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:
    useful

"Native PDF suppoirt" = winner

PSN ID: Djini

• ilmaestro 23 Nov 2007 18:38:57 32,537 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Ngggg expensive...! :/

Plus I just read this!

"in about six to twelve months we'll will compare those readers against the upcoming new flexible A4 devices."
    But that really will be bloody expensive! Just order the thing.

;)

• otto Moderator 8 Dec 2007 22:39:49 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OK I think I just came. ;)

This is exciting not so much for the fact that you can use an iPod as an e-reader (you already can, of course) but because it will formally support e-books. Things are really starting to kick off. Brilliant stuff.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• yegon 13 Dec 2007 15:54:34 5,416 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hehey! I treated myself to the Sony Reader, PRS-505. Got it from bhphotovideo.com, $340 inc P&P. Ordered last Friday, came yesterday......and I love it!

Didn't buy it for books really (although I will use it for that), more for manga!

That's the older 500 model in that link, the 505 is an updated, marginally improved version.

Been reading a fair bit of manga lately, both books and scanlations. I can just about tolerate reading scans on my lappy, but it's a far cry from the real thing - the reader is an ace compromise. Following the guide on the linky at the bottom of that page, I've got great results from the few manga I've converted so far. The piccies in that link really don't do it justice.

Contemplated the iLiad, too pricey for me, especially considering that the tech is still in it's infancy - full colour is expected within a couple of years apparently. Plus, the iLiad is FAAR too big for my usage.

Kindle, eep!, never in a million years.

Cybook, hmm, I was sorely tempted, but I went with the Sony due to it being markedly cheaper and mainly because I found quite a lot of people were satisfied with it for manga, the main reason I bought it.
  • otto Moderator 14 Dec 2007 01:31:37 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Congrats on the purchase! So, are you in the US then?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• El_MUERkO 14 Dec 2007 01:55:25 17,149 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i like the idea of an e-ink reader but i wouldn't touch one linked to a particular store
  • yegon 14 Dec 2007 20:37:50 5,416 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Congrats on the purchase! So, are you in the US then?

No, sunny Manchester. I was browsing the mobileread forums, quite a few fellow brits had ordered the Sony from B&H and were very satisfied.

El_MUERkO wrote:
    i like the idea of an e-ink reader but i wouldn't touch one linked to a particular store

Well, I'm not proud to admit this, but it's unlikely a legitimately purchased ebook will ever see the light of day on my reader. I'm using it entirely for naughty txt/rtf/htm/pdf/lit files and manga scanlations. Until new ebooks are markedly cheaper than the paper equivalent , I'll always buy the paper version.

• Telepathic.Geometry 7 Jan 2008 16:48:25 11,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did anybody hear of any new e-Book readers at CES this year?

• Deleted user 7 January 2008 16:53:26
    Seeing as it's only been running for a day so far, probably not.

Best keeping an eye on this for semi-regular updates of important (and not-so important) announcements.
  • otto Moderator 25 Feb 2008 19:40:23 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just ordered me a Cybook Gen 3 for my birthday! Yay. :)

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Juninho 6 Jan 2009 13:30:11 1,825 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump.

Is this available in the UK?
  • Deleted user 1 March 2009 22:24:02
    Just been looking at the Kindle 2. It looks cool. I have no need for one at all and it wouldn't work over here anyway, but I still want to play with one for a few days and see what it's like. I'm fascinated by the thinness and the screen.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't seem to do a great deal the iPhone or any similar smartphone couldn't do, other than the far greater availability of new books.

But still. Thin. Shiny. Buttons. Mmmm.
  • paul_haine 1 Mar 2009 22:25:04 4,205 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Juninho wrote:
    Bump.

Is this available in the UK?

Nope.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2009 22:47:36
    MrED209 wrote:
    Just been looking at the Kindle 2. It looks cool. I have no need for one at all and it wouldn't work over here anyway, but I still want to play with one for a few days and see what it's like. I'm fascinated by the thinness and the screen.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't seem to do a great deal the iPhone or any similar smartphone couldn't do, other than the far greater availability of new books.

But still. Thin. Shiny. Buttons. Mmmm.
    I'm disappointed, you're meant to be an Apple fanboy, surely you can tell when something is pig shit ugly and badly designed!
  • Deleted user 1 March 2009 22:54:15
    I just see thin white shiny thing with big screen. I am blind to 'design flaws' of which you speak. Perhaps if I had one to examine closer I would see them. :)
  • Trowel 1 Mar 2009 22:56:13 18,064 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Part of the Kindle 2 launch:
    Author Stephen King announced today that he is releasing a novella, “Ur,” which will only be available on Kindle. At the center of Ur is lovelorn college English instructor Wesley Smith, who can't seem to get his ex-girlfriend's parting shot out of his head: "Why can't you just read off the computer like the rest of us?" Egged on by her question and piqued by a student's suggestion, Wesley places an order for a Kindle. Smith’s Kindle arrives in a box stamped with the smile logo and unlocks a literary world that even the most avid of book lovers could never imagine. But once the door is open, there are those things that one hopes we'll never read or live through.
    http://www.stephenking.com/promo/ur_kindle/
  • Page

of 74 First / Last