Amazon Kindle Page 70

• Page

of 70 First / Last

Next
  • iancognito 9 Apr 2014 15:55:14 996 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I read quite a few reviews for the paperwhite where people were complaining about strange screen colouration. Not sure if that's now fixed, or if people were moaning about nothing, but it might be worth looking into.

I have a normal kindle and a case with a built in light from
    ebay

Still smaller than a normal paperback. The light works pretty well for night reading.
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2014 16:36:06 66,712 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, think that got fixed quickly, they had a v2 out pretty soon after iirc
  • Steve_Perry 9 Apr 2014 16:38:07 3,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have a V1 paperwhite and there is a slight bleed of light at the very bottom, but it is nowt worth complaining about. It's barely noticeable.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• TheRealBadabing 10 Apr 2014 01:24:48 1,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So does the paperwhite let you change page in a bumper-like fashion? I mean can you tap either edge of the screen to go forward or is a right-side tap or a sweep required?

I only ask as I enjoy sitting in the pub with the kindle in my left hand and alternate my pint or ecig in the right. With the old Kindle I can nudge the button with my thumb and therefore change page one-handed. It's very pleasant and actually a big selling point for me; makes the Kindle even more convenient than a paperback.
  • TheRealBadabing 11 Apr 2014 01:58:59 1,283 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That might have sounded a bit dickish but I'm genuinely interested if the newer Touch Kindles have an option to let you change page by tapping either side of the screen.

Quite like the idea of one with a backlight and this is the only thing that concerns me.
  • PenguinJim 11 Apr 2014 03:44:12 5,758 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's your choice of a touch/tap or a swipe, but I know what you mean. It seems like it wouldn't be as good. Is there any way you could access one to try it for yourself? Amazon also seem quite reasonable about returns - you might be able to give it back if you don't like it.

"You have two options for turning pages: a tap (right side goes forward, left side goes back) or a swipe (right-to-left goes forward, left-to-right goes back). It feels completely natural and at no point did we wish for physical buttons to do the same thing." - yeah, bollocks. If you're holding it in your left hand you can only go BACKWARDS through the book! :p Unless there are more options for things like that. There should be, but who knows..? Or you could hold the bottom so you can reach the next-page touchy bit with your thumb. Hmmm.

The physical page-turn buttons on earlier models have really spoilt me. I originally picked up my Kindle as a way to save money on books. I was genuinely surprised to find that it was also a better way to read linear books. I'm thinking of picking up another K3 now in case this one dies at some point when they're difficult to replace. I think it's just my own pigheadedness that won't let me try the Paperwhite and adjust to the new controls, though!

Edit: Buttons rule!

Edited by PenguinJim at 03:50:44 11-04-2014
  • yegon 11 Apr 2014 04:11:45 5,169 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, whilst I prefer hardware buttons, the touch screen on the PW is more than adequate and the backlit screen makes it a billion times better than it's predecessors.

I wouldn't buy one right now though, history suggests there'll be a new PW in the next couple of months. Not sure what form it'll take, but I imagine it'll be more than just a slightly better version of the second PW. I'm thinking significantly higher **EDIT - RESOLUTION - EDIT** eink screen at the very least.

Edited by yegon at 09:27:32 11-04-2014
  • PenguinJim 11 Apr 2014 05:08:15 5,758 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    I'm thinking significantly higher eink screen at the very least.
    Like this? o_O
  • yegon 11 Apr 2014 09:26:44 5,169 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PenguinJim

Lol edit fail, I meant higher RES! Ha.

10/10 for effort there, bravo, truly :-)

Edited by yegon at 09:28:34 11-04-2014
  • mrpon 19 Jul 2014 16:20:30 28,471 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kindle Paperwhite was 109 now 89 till 22nd July.

Use KINDLE4SUN code at checkout.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Khanivor 19 Jul 2014 16:38:57 40,400 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Amazon US has started a Kindle Unlimited subscription service. 10 bucks a month for lending of available Kindle books. Seems like a good deal if you read more than a couple books a month.
  • poot 19 Jul 2014 16:42:54 504 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Problem is that most of the major publishers haven't signed up to it, and probably won't given their current hostility towards Amazon. Good if you like shitloads of poorly written amateur indie stuff, though.
  • Khanivor 19 Jul 2014 16:51:35 40,400 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That reminds me, I still need to get a refund for this book called The End I bought.
  • poot 19 Jul 2014 17:58:34 504 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Terrible book, that one. Worse than Dan Brown.
  • DiddlerDo 19 Jul 2014 21:36:33 1,204 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    So the Paperwhites have 20 off them at the moment and I'm tempted as although I love the simplicity and tactile buttons of my Nook I do miss the awesome dictionary and syncing function of the Kindle. I wonder though if we are due a big new upgrade with these discounts? Basically just want the paperwhite with page turn buttons at the side.
  • yegon 19 Jul 2014 23:39:04 5,169 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Think a new Paperwhite is imminent, judging by its release history. Can't see buttons happening though.

Then again, I said EXACTLY the same thing 3 months ago a few posts back, what do I know :-)
  • poot 20 Jul 2014 04:09:16 504 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    You won't miss the physical buttons, mowgs. I thought I'd miss them, but I've used it so much now I actually get annoyed at our regular Kindle for having them. I keep finding myself swiping to change page.
  • poot 20 Jul 2014 04:10:45 504 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    And yeah, the chances of a new Kindle coming out fairly shortly are pretty high, given the launch of Kindle Unlimited.
  • Khanivor 20 Jul 2014 04:37:19 40,400 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With the phone coming out in a few weeks I can't see amazon releasing any other new toys for a good few months.
  • poot 20 Jul 2014 05:34:41 504 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    It won't be anything dramatic, probably, just a slightly revised model that will also come with a six month subscription to Unlimited, or something. They seem to be pushing audiobooks a little harder as of late, so I'm half wondering if it'll just be a Kindle with Audible support.

They released the Paperwhite about a month after the Fire HD too, so it's not like there isn't precedent for multi-product releases.
  • yegon 20 Jul 2014 09:39:24 5,169 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Think the next Paperwhite will be a slightly more significant upgrade than 1->2 though. Much higher res screen is surely going to happen, and I wouldn't mind a faster processor. Page turning on my gen 1 PW is still fine, but since it's had a few firmware updates, general navigation, dictionary etc has got notably more sluggish.
  • Page

of 70 First / Last

Next