of 72 First / Last

• captain_markyboy 9 Oct 2013 13:30:45 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • captain_markyboy 9 Oct 2013 13:32:34 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did it? If it did, then fair enough I suppose. I haven't read it, might download a sample....
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Oct 2013 13:35:39 5,285 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You guys are both slightly off the mark!

Here you go ... read this brief article:

JK Rowling unhappy with her pseudonym being known.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2013 14:16:31
    Ha thanks man, knew she had written something under a different name.

Anyway, kindle as turned up! I;ve read the first chapter of Slaughter house Five, so

Nice decent size, although not used to it yet, a bit weird to hold, but i guess i get used to that.

Loves: How quick a book gets to the kindle from ordering it online.
    Dictionary, and translation programmes - particulary as the first part of slaughter house five as a whole segment which is german!

So yeah i love the ease of just clicking on a word and finding out what it means.

Unsure on - the light really, i think the descriptions are the wrong way round, and i just need to find a decent level i can have it on. Plus i guess, is that i don't seem to have any false shadows either.

so yeah, look forward to reading on it! :)
  • Deleted user 9 October 2013 18:31:28
    Urgh. Managed to drop my kindle already ;) silly me. wasn't that high though , just over a pint glass size of the floor. But it made me overally anal about whether its ok.

Had it charging underneath the coffee table and i caught the usb lead. Seems to be fine though.

Really liking it, getting a bit dark now, and the screen lights up really nicely. Only thing i notice is, the framing. its all lined up fine, but when i was OCD over it, if i start to tilt it vertically, you can see the frame lines at the bottom, then a slight gap, but if it went any lower the page numbers would be half way off the screen. So yeah. NEED TO BE MORE CAREFUL.
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Oct 2013 18:35:02 5,285 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The next thing you'll be doing is proposing to the blooming thing!

: )
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2013 18:47:15 68,417 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Regarding the light, it actually makes sense once you use it a bit. In the dark, set to a low brightness, you're not straining your eyes at all and vice versa in daylight. Seems like it's round the wrong way, but it's not, honest.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2013 12:47:45 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I want to get one of these before my next 3-4 week holiday.
    Normal Kindle or Paperwhite?
    Is it worth the extra for the Paperwhite?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Dr-Strangelove 18 Oct 2013 13:27:57 2,131 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get the paperwhite - reading in the evening in low light is a pleasure.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2013 13:29:21 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dr-Strangelove wrote:
    Get the paperwhite - reading in the evening in low light is a pleasure.
    I'm unlikely to use it at home, I prefer real books, it's just to avoid lugging 5 books around on holiday. Still worth it?

• CharlieStCloud 18 Oct 2013 13:30:01 5,285 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Paperwhite is definitely worth the extra 40 (?) and is a joy to use.

... the 'normal' Kindle is still great and has physical page turning buttons which I admittedly miss on the Paperwhite however, the latter Kindle is just preferable in all other areas.

• captain_markyboy 18 Oct 2013 13:44:42 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Paperwhite is definitely worth the extra 40 (?) and is a joy to use.

... the 'normal' Kindle is still great and has physical page turning buttons which I admittedly miss on the Paperwhite however, the latter Kindle is just preferable in all other areas.

Agreed. I've had both and it's paperwhite all the way.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2013 13:45:57
    Another vote for paperwhite here. Adamant I would never ditch books, the wife buys me one for my birthday back in march. Never looked back. An absolute joy to read from and can highly recommend it.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2013 13:46:25 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks a lot guys.
    Paperwhite it is.

• Psychotext 18 Oct 2013 13:47:27 54,391 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've said it before, but thanks to the paperwhite I'm reading more than ever now, mostly by virtue of the fact that I don't have to put a light on when my missus is asleep (and risk her cutting my balls of).

Will probably pick up one of the new versions just because of the improved backlight.
  • captain_markyboy 18 Oct 2013 13:51:33 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Psychotext
    The new backlight on my new paperwhite is faultless. I highly recommend it. You'll get a good price for the older one on ebay too. I just sold my 3 year keyboard kindle for 45 yesterday.
  • drip 18 Oct 2013 14:22:01 4,302 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

I prefer real books, it's just to avoid lugging 5 books around on holiday. Still worth it?
    I understand that, I tend to prefer actual books too, but... my library now doesn't fill half a shelf, it's all in that little flat thing. Everywhere I go. And Kindle versions are usually cheaper than the real books (aside from second-hand).

And most of all, the classics are all for free. Shakespeare, Goethe, Nietzsche, Freud, Poe, whatever is old enough is for free. I love that.

Oh, and it has a built-in dictionary that gives you the meaning of words simply by moving the cursor to them.

And in the case of paperwhite, few actual books have that pleasant dim light feature.

Then, there are small "indie" books that are sometimes interesting and usually cheap, which you wouldn't get published as actual books.

I could go on, I think it's absolutely worth it.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 14:23:27 18-10-2013
  • Deleted user 18 October 2013 14:40:55
    had mine just over a week, love it, read one book on it already, and someway into a second. I thnk someone came round yesterday andmust have browsed it, my font size had changed ! gah!
  • captain_markyboy 18 Oct 2013 15:59:08 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    had mine just over a week, love it, read one book on it already, and someway into a second. I thnk someone came round yesterday andmust have browsed it, my font size had changed ! gah!
    No one touches my kindle!!!! It's sacrilege. Get it hidden!
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2013 14:48:12 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm about or order my Kindle PaperWhite, do they need a protective cover, is the 30quid amazon leather one worth it?

• Deleted user 7 November 2013 14:50:57
    They;re expensive for what they are , but i got mine has a present to go with the kindle, so.. but yeah they pretty solid, and nice to look at and hold.
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Nov 2013 14:52:42 5,285 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nah.

... I just chuck my Kindle in the bag or whatever. They have a matte material on the back that takes a heavy drop to even mark it.

A cover just makes it heavier, more bulky and stings your wallet.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2013 14:53:36 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Nah.

... I just chuck my Kindle in the bag or whatever. They have a matte material on the back that takes a heavy drop to even mark it.

A cover just makes it heavier, more bulky and stings your wallet.
    What about the screen?

• UncleLou Moderator 7 Nov 2013 14:57:51 35,714 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear It's not beautiful, but it's very useful. I never use covers for my other devices, but it makes sense for the Kindle imo, which I often carry with me, sue it in the metro, put it into my coat next to keys, etc.

It's also useful to open it/put it to standby, easier than fumble for the button.

Edited by UncleLou at 14:58:42 07-11-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Nov 2013 14:58:03 5,285 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The screen isn't made out of glass, you know!

... and it is slightly sunken into the Kindle itself, making it difficult to be scratched, especially when the display is a soft touchscreen-weeny material.

It is up to you.

I just personally don't think a cover is worth it.
  • captain_markyboy 7 Nov 2013 14:58:25 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just use a built sleeve from amazon. Doesn't add much bulk at all.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2013 15:07:22 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear It's not beautiful, but it's very useful. I never use covers for my other devices, but it makes sense for the Kindle imo, which I often carry with me, sue it in the metro, put it into my coat next to keys, etc.

It's also useful to open it/put it to standby, easier than fumble for the button.
    Ta, I'm only buying one for going on holiday so I thought that some protection may be a good idea but I resent paying 30 quid for one.

• Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2013 15:07:36 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    The screen isn't made out of glass, you know!

... and it is slightly sunken into the Kindle itself, making it difficult to be scratched, especially when the display is a soft touchscreen-weeny material.

It is up to you.

I just personally don't think a cover is worth it.
    Thanks

• Dougs 7 Nov 2013 15:13:27 68,417 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just get a cheapo neoprene sleeve then. It's not essential when reading, but that's a good option if it's just to protect it in a bag or whatever.
  • midi82 7 Nov 2013 15:19:33 673 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Check out ebay, I got an official case for the keyboard one for about 8 much nicer than the cheapo case I had originally
  • Page

of 72 First / Last