Amazon Kindle Page 62

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• monkman76 15 Nov 2012 15:01:14 3,392 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's not backlit, it's frontlit. Big difference for your eyes apparently.
  • spindle9988 15 Nov 2012 15:15:09 3,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks guys
  • Murbal 15 Nov 2012 15:17:45 21,527 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My Kindle is sooo outdated. I want a shiny new one. Without the keyboard. Fat lot of use that's shown itself to be!
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 16:13:23
    I found the keyboard useful for IF once I rooted it. But that's about it.
  • Popzeus 15 Nov 2012 21:14:52 8,250 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    @Popzeus
    Dad just sent me a text to tell me he's just been and picked up his Paperwhite from Waterstones. You're a top banana, sir!
    :D

No bother at all matey.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• sport 23 Nov 2012 09:12:32 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just a heads up for anyone interested in the Kindle Fire - they're down to 99 in Amazon's Black Friday deal. I think it'll stay discounted till Monday. It's not the HD version but at under 100, it's a pretty decent 7" tab I reckon.

Link on Amazon's homepage.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 15:41:00
    I tried one of the Fire's in a water stones the other day. It seemed to be struggling with Angry Birds which was surprising.

The paperwhite looks really nice though.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 16:14:59
    The demo units are usually weighed down with shitty apps to lock stuff down which suck up resources, but yeah, speed has never really been the Fire's forte - it's primarily designed for films, music and books through Amazon's cloud. Though I've got the first gen model and it handles most games pretty well.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 16:21:59
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if they had done something like that or if the game has some sort of memory leak which contributed to it.
  • sport 26 Nov 2012 16:30:32 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be a little surprised if it couldn't handle Angry Birds. I got a friend an Archos 7" G-something (can't remember now) last year and it's a much lower spec - runs AB fine.

But yeah, if you want real grunt then probably best to go for the Nexus.
  • gammonbanter 10 Dec 2012 20:02:42 1,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looking hard at the kindle fire HD have a 10 inch tab already. I just want the fire HD for books and my lovefilm.

My question is, if I come off the custom andriod firmware, and install the latest - will I still be able to get at Lovefilm!?
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 20:33:58
    Why not put Lovefilm on your existing tab and just get a regular Kindle? They're far superior for books.
  • gammonbanter 10 Dec 2012 22:18:40 1,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bloody lovefilm won't stream to any other andriod! I agree with you though the kindle paperwhite is beautiful.
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 22:54:55
    That's a bit shit. If there's no other apps for it, then rooting will lock you out of any in-built apps. Same thing happens with the US Kindle Fire - rooting means you can't use the Amazon Streaming Video stuff.

Edited by meme at 22:55:11 10-12-2012
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 17:43:44
    Picked up the paperwhite today \o/

Screen is lovely and the increased speed is definitely noticeable.
  • neilka 28 Dec 2012 17:46:28 14,935 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It won't stay paperwhite for long
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 18:02:19
    I'm still umming and ahhing about upgrading to the paperwhite. Better screen, but it's $100 when we already have a perfectly fine Kindle 4 as it is. And the lack of physical turn buttons will just annoy me.
  • PhoenixFlames 28 Dec 2012 18:04:54 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    What does that mean?

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Dougs 28 Dec 2012 18:08:49 64,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I'm still umming and ahhing about upgrading to the paperwhite. Better screen, but it's $100 when we already have a perfectly fine Kindle 4 as it is. And the lack of physical turn buttons will just annoy me.
    You don't notice the buttons, especially if you use an ipad/smartphone a lot. And it is much quicker. Still a wee bit peeved over the light bleed at the bottom of mine, mainly as I know it is there. Def upgrade from the keyboard versik, whichever number that was. Not sure it would be worth it with the touchscreen though.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 18:11:35
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    What does that mean?
    Poop joke.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 18:13:19
    meme wrote:
    You really appreciate the light when it is turned off. I feel - as daft as it is - attached to my old keyboard 3g, but the pissy light on the official cover is crap and I want to read in bed. Screen is more responsive than I though.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 18:14:09
    I use a tablet a fair bit (Kindle Fire, just to round off the total Amazon fanboy image), and the physical button thing is pretty noticeable. I'm also one of those types who would go for a shitty phone with a physical keyboard over a top of the range smartphone though, so maybe I'm just a luddite.

Mostly it's the cost, though. $100 for, effectively, a slightly better screen and a different (but not necessarily better) UI. Logically, it's not worth it, and I have basically no complaints about my Kindle 4 (the non-touchscreen but non-keyboard one), so it's pretty much just a "NEWER THING IS NEWER" urge that I should fight through.
  • Steve_Perry 28 Dec 2012 18:14:10 2,435 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got a paperwhite as an Xmas prezzie. Been resisting ereader's for years but I'm pleasantly surprised. Read two books on it and its really good.

The luddite in me still pines for a good old book though.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deleted user 28 December 2012 18:16:37
    meme wrote:
    I use a tablet a fair bit (Kindle Fire, just to round off the total Amazon fanboy image), and the physical button thing is pretty noticeable. I'm also one of those types who would go for a shitty phone with a physical keyboard over a top of the range smartphone though, so maybe I'm just a luddite.

Mostly it's the cost, though. $100 for, effectively, a slightly better screen and a different (but not necessarily better) UI. Logically, it's not worth it, and I have basically no complaints about my Kindle 4 (the non-touchscreen but non-keyboard one), so it's pretty much just a "NEWER THING IS NEWER" urge that I should fight through.
    Can't you sell your old kindle?

100 for the Paperwhite
    Sell my keyboard 3g for around 80. Works out fine for me.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 20:30:21
    I can probably get $50 for it (Kindle 4 with Special Offers - only retails for $70 new). So it's still another $50 for an upgrade on a product I'm perfectly happy with anyway.
  • Dougs 28 Dec 2012 20:58:00 64,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's your answer then. I wouldn't have upgraded had my keyboard one not broke. There are some things that just aren't worth upgrading and unless you read solely in the dark, this is one of them.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2012 21:01:07
    Think you are fine then. There is nothing wrong with my kindle, I fucking love the thing, I just want to read the thing in bed without faffing about with book lights. That was my sole reason for upgrading.
  • Tom_Servo 29 Dec 2012 01:02:32 15,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    meme wrote:
    You don't notice the buttons, especially if you use an ipad/smartphone a lot. And it is much quicker. Still a wee bit peeved over the light bleed at the bottom of mine, mainly as I know it is there. Def upgrade from the keyboard versik, whichever number that was. Not sure it would be worth it with the touchscreen though.
    Is "light bleed" like if it looks as if the screen isn't properly fitted somewhere and you can see the light coming from the screen inbetween the casing? Mine has that at the bottom too, but you can only see it from a specific angle.

There's also a bit of a shadow at the bottom of my screen, but it doesn't really bother me too much.
  • Dougs 29 Dec 2012 06:47:57 64,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it's a bit shadowy with uneven lighting. Only really noticeable the brighter it is and at a certain angle but I know it's there!
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 08:45:44
    Same on mine, doesn't bother me yet though.
  • Page

of 70 First / Last