Amazon Kindle Page 60

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• yegon 25 Oct 2012 18:07:48 4,922 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah, there's a bit of bleed on mine on the very top brightness. Hard to know if that's the same as what you're talking about or because the postman Just SHOVED MINE THROYGH THE DOOR EVEN THOUGH I WAS OUT!

It is lovely though. Heavier than I expected but I quite like that. No plug, assume an older Kindle will be fine?
    Older Kindle chargers will be fine, I use my iPhone charger and I believe Blackberry or indeed most usb chargers are fine. Only thing I'd avoid is ultra cheapy unbranded shite for obvious reasons.

It is a tad heavier than I expected too, especially with the cover on, but it does feel really nice in the hand. Much better for reading inside or in dimmer conditions. Extremely satisfied, which is good as there's loads of whinging on MobileRead, blotches or something.
  • Dougs 25 Oct 2012 18:49:43 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is a bit of image retention from time to time and I know what they mean about blotches, but they seem to be inconsistent . It's far from perfect but pretty happy with it, especially for night time reading.
  • Dirtbox 25 Oct 2012 19:15:11 76,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://gb.txtr.com/beagle/

This new txtrbeagle thing seems like it's set to be the death of the Kindle. For only 6 quid it lasts a year on one set of AA batteries.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 25 October 2012 19:46:39
    The problem with something so cheap is going to be contrast, resolution and page turning though. It doesn't sound like much of a dealbreaker, but when you consider that some budget eink readers take a couple of seconds to turn a page, multiply that by hundreds and you've got yourself a frustratingly shit device, no matter the cost. It's also subsidised - you're tied into their store and their app (the device itself doesn't actually support any formats - the smartphone app renders them to a compatible proprietary format and bluetooths them across) - this, coupled with no external ports means they 100% control it. Kindle's also subsidised, but you can at least put your own stuff on there via USB.

Edited by meme at 19:47:08 25-10-2012
  • Deleted user 25 October 2012 19:48:49
    And a quick Google suggests that price point is when you buy it alongside a smartphone + contract.
  • yegon 25 Oct 2012 20:08:09 4,922 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    There is a bit of image retention from time to time and I know what they mean about blotches, but they seem to be inconsistent . It's far from perfect but pretty happy with it, especially for night time reading.
    You can probably resolve that (image retention) in settings, forcing a full refresh when you change page. This sacrifices page turn speed though.

Edited by yegon at 20:39:15 25-10-2012
  • Dougs 25 Oct 2012 20:40:56 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, cheers. Will see whether it's worth it or not.
  • GREASYL0VER 26 Oct 2012 12:32:42 127 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Has anyone been able to buy a PaperWhite from one of the retailers like Tesco, Argos etc or is the fact that Amazon can't supply them mean that high street retailers don't have any stock?
  • sanctusmortis 26 Oct 2012 13:03:47 9,590 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was playing with a Paperwhite in Waterstones yesterday. It's real nice. They didn't have them for sale yet though - dates and prices were on the blackboard behind the counters in the store though, and I believe they were the start of November.
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2012 13:04:57 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, think I saw earlier in the thread of 3 Nov for elsewhere.
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2012 13:08:45 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My one disappointment (not that I was expecting it) is that they haven't made it easier to create collections, or view by folder etc. Frustrating.
  • yegon 26 Oct 2012 13:32:08 4,922 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the way stuff is sorted, and the complete lack of sorting options on the device, is frankly pathetic given how mature the product is otherwise. This is my first Kindle by the way. My ancient Sony 505 did it better. You can sort via Calibre can't you, but I can't really be arsed with that.

Fortunately, I tend to only read two books at a time, one fact and one fiction, so it does at least have most recent at top.

Edited by yegon at 13:32:46 26-10-2012
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Oct 2012 14:04:35 48,224 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it really that bad? I can't say I've had much of a problem. I have 'non-fiction' and 'fiction' collections to separate those, genre collections for my favourite genres and a general 'unread' collection. Each book is associated with one or many of those.

Set the home page to "view by collections" and I currently see seven or eight 'folders' on there, generally with 'unread' at the top. And my current book at the top of 'unread'.
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2012 14:23:56 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's setting it all up which is the pain - fine once you've done it, but I really can't be bothered. I've added quite a few books by folder and it just would be more intuitive to allow you to add en mass to a collection or view by folder etc.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Oct 2012 14:31:40 48,224 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'view by folder'. Doesn't viewing 'by collections' on the home page essentially do precisely that? Or am I misunderstanding?
  • Deleted user 26 October 2012 14:42:02
    Dougs wrote:
    It's setting it all up which is the pain - fine once you've done it, but I really can't be bothered. I've added quite a few books by folder and it just would be more intuitive to allow you to add en mass to a collection or view by folder etc.
    Download the Kindle for PC app, sort your collections in there, then on your Kindle choose the "import other device collection" option. Done.
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2012 14:46:45 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Folders that you've imported, not collections you've made on the device itself - so what I'm after is more of a Windows Explorer view. As I say, once you've set the collections up, it's fine but actually doing that when you've a few hundred books on it is a pain in the arse. This one is a little speedier than my old 1st gen though, so hopefully won't take as long.

Edit: Cheers Grems, had no idea there was even a Kindle app! Will give that a go.

Edited by Dougs at 14:47:25 26-10-2012
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Oct 2012 15:08:28 48,224 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, I see!

Setting them up a book at a time is a pain in the arse. It'd be better if you could do it the other way around, make a collection and add books to it.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2012 15:11:14
    It's definitely way too awkward on the Kindle to bother with. It's fine if you've only got a handful of books on there, but I've got a couple of hundred, Organising that one book at a time is a nightmare.

Weirdly, they don't have collections of any kind on the Kindle Fire. It's literally just a massive list of books, with your most recently read showing up on the front screen.
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2012 15:12:55 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, you can! But you still have to select every book, which is fine by author but if it's genre that would be a pain.
  • Chopsen 26 Oct 2012 15:39:04 15,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ONe thing I do miss about my old sony reader what that you could set up collections in calibre, and then port them across. Where is the "import other device collection" option anyway? Can't find it on my kindle
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2012 15:41:46 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And of course, the Kindle PC app doesn't allow you to manage books not bought through the Kindle store. Ahem.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2012 15:42:14
    I think it's in the archive. Don't have mine to hand, but once you're in there it's either at the beginning or end, should be an option for import.
  • Chopsen 26 Oct 2012 15:46:35 15,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, and shenanigans.
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2012 15:47:56 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or on the PW, it's cloud>settings>Import collections
  • Chopsen 26 Oct 2012 15:49:40 15,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't see anything like it on the touch. Can't see anything about an "archive" either.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2012 15:52:06
    To import a collection from another Kindle device:
    If you created a collection on one Kindle and want to use the same collection for organizing content on your Kindle Touch, you can import the collection from Archived Items.

Note: Importing a collection from another Kindle or Kindle application does not import the books or other items to your Kindle Touch if they aren't downloaded already. However, any books that you download from Archived Items after importing a collection will automatically appear within the collection.

From the Home screen, select Menu.
    Select View Archived Items.
    Select Menu and then select Import Collections.
    Select the device you want to import a collection from, and then select OK.
    The collection will appear on your Home screen. Content downloaded to your Kindle Touch associated with that collection will appear under that collection name on your Home screen.
  • Chopsen 26 Oct 2012 15:53:45 15,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ahaha! I've got to press menu again after going to archived items. Thankyou unofficial kindle technical support!
  • senso-ji 29 Oct 2012 11:53:29 5,330 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nook Simple Touch goes on sale today

From the reviews I've read, this is just as good as a kindle but has the added bonus of Micro SD support.
  • Dougs 29 Oct 2012 12:02:01 64,982 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice. Have now read my PW at night in bed and you know what, they're right. A low brightness in the dark really works. No convinced I need high brightness during the day mind.
  • Page

of 70 First / Last