Amazon Kindle Page 5

• Page

of 70 First / Last

• Psychotext 29 Jul 2010 11:46:44 52,781 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    With say iBook on the iPhone and whatever it is that lets you read e-books on Android (must be something?) just built in to a device why would people continue to buy a device that only does that?

Actual question actually interested :p
    I can't read for much more than half hour at a time on standard mobile / laptop etc screens.

I can read e-ink screens for about as long as I'd read a book for.
  • Lexx87 29 Jul 2010 11:47:13 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /googles e-ink screen

Speak the truth hussy!

• RyanDS 29 Jul 2010 11:48:54 8,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Well that's something I guess.
    The missus reads more than I do, and I'm sure she's see it as a waste of money when she can get books from the library for nothing.

Libaraies are starting to lend ebooks as well... ;-)
  • mwtb 29 Jul 2010 11:54:39 2,381 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For a lot of people the lack of distraction from net-connections and phone features is desirable in itself.
  • 1Dgaf 31 Jul 2010 18:51:16 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tempted by the new kindle. But the 3G version seems like a rip - all you can do with it is buy books AFAIK. Anyone know if that's correct?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Deleted user 31 July 2010 18:54:48
    I think you get Wiki access everywhere, but that is it.
  • BurnoutJunkie 31 Jul 2010 19:37:36 604 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doesn't it have a web browser built in also?

I was interested in this until someone told me that it doesn't have a backlight.
  • mwtb 1 Aug 2010 00:08:59 2,381 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:

Sort of. Amazon are supposedly trying to improve it though.

BurnoutJunkie wrote:
    I was interested in this until someone told me that it doesn't have a backlight.

Well it isn't that sort of screen -- it's kind of what makes it an eReader. The display uses reflected light like a normal printed page, meaning that you can read it in the sunshine, but need a reading light at night.
  • Jackface 1 Aug 2010 00:12:12 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mwtb wrote:
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:

Sort of. Amazon are supposedly trying to improve it though.

BurnoutJunkie wrote:

Well it isn't that sort of screen -- it's kind of what makes it an eReader. The display uses reflected light like a normal printed page, meaning that you can read it in the sunshine, but need a reading light at night.
    Yeah the lack of backlight is kind of one of the big Features, giving it a considerable edge over something like the iPad for actual comfortable lengthy reading on the screen, not to mention the insane battery life it has.
  • 1Dgaf 1 Aug 2010 04:38:11 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've ordered one. The selling points for me are the ability to change font sizes (I've not finished a few books because of tiny fonts), built-in dictionary, taking notes and Wikipedia.

However, I sent an email to AMazon double checking that I can browse the web with 3G. If I can't, I might reconsider and get a WiFi one. I fully expect to be fucked on price when it comes to the actual books though.

• Onny 1 Aug 2010 08:55:32 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, the pricing of this brings it right into buying range. I was going to go for the PRS-505 or the nook, but I think the kindle has won me over.

Edit: something cool which I haven't seen mentioned is the new kindle has metal power contacts on one side - this means that booklights (like the one in the official leather cover) don't need a separate power connector.
  • Mr-Brett 1 Aug 2010 09:36:43 12,676 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The £109 version is rather tempting, £49 for a case with a light in it though? that's crazy. If I do get one I may wait and see what the third party cases are like.

Portable view - Never forget.

• 1Dgaf 1 Aug 2010 16:15:47 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amazon's reply:

"Yes you can browse the web in the UK using 3G, this is a free service.

"The new Kindle uses a new experimental web browser based on the industry-leading
    open source Web browser engine, WebKit. This means the updated browser is faster and
    easier to navigate.

"It supports JavaScript, SSL and cookies, but does not support media plug-ins (Flash,
    Shockwave, etc.) or Java applets.

"The improved web browser also provides a new “Article Mode” feature that simplifies
    Web pages to just the main text-based content for easier reading.
    The web browser is not available in some international countries. However, most
    customers can access Wikipedia while outside the UK."

• Dougs 1 Aug 2010 16:37:44 64,903 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have they launched a uk store yet? Got charged an overseas fee from the us store so won't be doing that again.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 25 Aug 2010 18:17:03 1,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woooo - just got the email from Amazon that my new Kindle has been shipped. I can't wait to have a play with it :)

Hurry up postie !!
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Aug 2010 18:24:16 13,813 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    Woooo - just got the email from Amazon that my new Kindle has been shipped. I can't wait to have a play with it :)

Hurry up postie !!

Hi when did you order ? I have ordered one for the little lady, but I have to wait to be told when they will be getting their next stock, she is not happy ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• LetsGo 25 Aug 2010 18:25:12 5,074 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How can something like this not have a backlight? To keep the cost down I'm guessing??? Battery isn't really a reply, you could have the option to turn it on or off surely....
  • FairgroundTown 25 Aug 2010 18:29:23 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The book prices actually don't look that bad - much better than the Waterstones store which is tied to the Sony Reader. (Very superficial, small sample of the kind of books I'd buy - mostly chick-lit.)
  • JohnnyWashnGo 25 Aug 2010 18:30:41 1,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:

Hurry up postie !!

Hi when did you order ? I have ordered one for the little lady, but I have to wait to be told when they will be getting their next stock, she is not happy ;)

Ordered on 29th July - as soon as it was announced I think.

As for backlight - I don't think those e-ink screens are capable of having a backlight. A frontlight maybe possible similar to the old Gameboy SP.
  • androidave 25 Aug 2010 18:32:28 102 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I use this on Android, works really well imo, I've just noticed you can buy the books from .co.uk now in £ rather than from .com
  • FairgroundTown 25 Aug 2010 18:33:11 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Amazon's reply:

No data charges? For ever? How on earth is that sustainable from Amazon's perspective?
  • LetsGo 25 Aug 2010 18:39:32 5,074 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Amazon's reply:

No data charges? For ever? How on earth is that sustainable from Amazon's perspective?

I'm guessing its 'free' i.e. you dont have to pay amazon?

Your most likely need a sim from a mobile provider.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 25 Aug 2010 18:39:59 1,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    androidave wrote:
    I use this on Android, works really well imo, I've just noticed you can buy the books from .co.uk now in £ rather than from .com

Aye, I have been using the Android app since they released it and it rocks.
    Shame the kindle doesn't support epubs though - i have plenty of them that I will need to convert now :(
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Aug 2010 18:40:52 13,813 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:

Hurry up postie !!

Ordered on 29th July - as soon as it was announced I think.

As for backlight - I don't think those e-ink screens are capable of having a backlight. A frontlight maybe possible similar to the old Gameboy SP.

I have bought Lynda the case with the light...£50 odd fookin wedge as well!

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• JohnnyWashnGo 26 Aug 2010 20:37:01 1,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well my new kindle was waiting for me on my doorstep when i got home and I gotta say it is pretty sweet.

Very small, very light and very cute - its a cracking ebook reader. It weighs almost nothing making reading books actually easier than holding a paperback. Its about the same size as a PS3 game box but thinner.

The screen is fast to refresh and really easy on the eyes - it makes reading ebooks much easier than reading on a monitor or a mobile phone screen.

The web browser is a bit pants. It renders pages fine but the e-ink screen refreshes too slowly to make the browser usable. But then, who cares. The device is for reading books ;)

Overall - well worth £109 if you like reading books and are sick of finding shelf space for them!
  • Deleted user 26 August 2010 20:54:13
    Need to get paper subs on there that I'm interested in and I might gravitate back to an ereader. I love having the Times sent to me every morning on the iPad.
  • Onny 26 Aug 2010 20:54:46 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did you get a cover too? My only concern is scratching the screen.

/considers getting the expensive leather cover
  • Onny 26 Aug 2010 21:01:50 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Need to get paper subs on there that I'm interested in and I might gravitate back to an ereader. I love having the Times sent to me every morning on the iPad.

Pretty decent choice of newspapers

Some grumbles about price, though. How much is your Times sub on iPad?
  • JohnnyWashnGo 26 Aug 2010 21:02:11 1,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My cover has yet to be shipped. I don't think I would carry it about without a cover to he honest - its look too fragile.
  • Deleted user 26 August 2010 21:03:16
    Onny wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Pretty decent choice of newspapers

Some grumbles about price, though. How much is your Times sub on iPad?
    £10 a month but I've only payed for the first month and had the past 4 or 5 free.
  • Page

of 70 First / Last