Crocodile Hunter died!!! Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• President_Weasel 4 Sep 2006 09:21:54 8,975 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What a way for Steve Irwin to go out. Wrestled crocs, annoyed cobras, bothered komodo dragons, yet got killed by a stingray of all things. He was a one-off, and far more entertaining than the current crop of sub-Steve-Irwin rip-off merchants like the Snake Botherer or whatever his name is.
  • pistol 4 Sep 2006 09:22:50 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorbicol wrote:
    Can't help feeling bad for his wife and two young kids though. Are Stingrays venomous?

You're right though, legend. My Cousin's two young kids loved his programs, got them well into wildlife and all that.

It's actually very rare for a Stingray to attack a human. I held a couple up out of the water last year in the Cayman Islands.
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Sep 2006 09:29:28 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm gutted, I loved this guy! The wife and I always watched his shows just for his enthusism, the guy is a legend and had pretty much dedicated his life to saving endangered species (then pissing them off).
  • Huntcjna 4 Sep 2006 09:31:33 13,871 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im really upset about this. :(

I was watching the Crocodile Hunter Diaries with my niece and nephew yesterday before lunch and they love him.

He did have a crazy streak in him but he was fearless and really loved nature.

RIP Steve.
  • phAge 4 Sep 2006 09:32:24 24,337 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    It's actually very rare for a Stingray to attack a human.
    Yep - and even IF you get stung, its only stings aroung the chest or pelvic area (or near major arteries) that are fatal. Looks like old Stevie was proper unlucky this time.
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Sep 2006 09:37:56 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Crikey! he's only the second person to die from a stingray in Australia. THATS how rare it is. such a beautiful creature.

< is speaking like steve for the day

• phAge 4 Sep 2006 09:56:54 24,337 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    octo wrote:
    I actually wish he could die every morning so that I can wake up and laugh as hard as I did today. "It's irony on a base level, but I like it".
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why women should NOT drink during pregnancy.
  • richardiox 4 Sep 2006 09:58:05 5,543 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    octo wrote:
    I actually wish he could die every morning so that I can wake up and laugh as hard as I did today. "It's irony on a base level, but I like it".

Or take smack.
  • souljah 4 Sep 2006 09:58:32 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Terrible shame.

• ram 4 Sep 2006 10:02:07 3,471 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 4 September 2006 10:02:26
    octo wrote:

Why is it irony? He dealt a lot with dangerous animals. He was killed by one. That isn't ironic.
  • zErOb_cOOl 4 Sep 2006 10:03:18 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    The website is also down (no pun intended) at the moment. Didn't think it'd affect me like this, but I am genuinely sad that he's dead. Can't remember the last time I felt like that about a celebrity buying it.
    Yeah he was innocent, man. You could just tell that he was a 100% genuine, life-loving, decent bloke.
  • deem 4 Sep 2006 10:03:41 31,641 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • octo 4 Sep 2006 10:03:46 979 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    octo wrote:

Comedy like everything is subjective. If you don't like it, try shutting up and leaving the rest of us to enjoy our moment.
  • espadachin 4 Sep 2006 10:04:41 2,210 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    damn, gutted!
    heart goes out to his wife and children.
    /digs out photos of visit to australia zoo in beerwah

Edited by espadachin at 10:07:02 04-09-2006
  • ram 4 Sep 2006 10:04:53 3,471 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    so far the royal "us" being you.

edit @ octo

Edited by ram at 10:05:14 04-09-2006
  • phAge 4 Sep 2006 10:06:10 24,337 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    octo wrote:
    Comedy like everything is subjective. If you don't like it, try shutting up and leaving the rest of us to enjoy our moment.
    LOL @ pathetic trolling! :D
  • Decoded 4 Sep 2006 10:07:14 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    He was one of very few people outside of my own family whose death would genuinely sadden me. Can't believe it :'(
  • smoothpete 4 Sep 2006 10:07:21 31,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    octo wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    octo wrote:

I found out an hour ago that a guy I hold in high esteem died, so maybe you could shut the fuck up and leave it a while before cracking jokes eh?
  • JimJam 4 Sep 2006 10:09:16 769 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is only one other recorded death caused by a stingray, and that was in 1945.

Complete fluke. RIP Mr Irwin, and thanks for some absolutely hair-raising entertainment over the years.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2006 10:10:37
    deem wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:
    octo wrote:

Why is it irony? He dealt a lot with dangerous animals. He was killed by one. That isn't ironic.

I think the irony lies in that he spent yhears putting his head in crocodiles mouths, only to be killed by something that hasn't actually been on record as killing someone before...

It's definitely been on record before. Whilst probably not that high, it's still a dangerous animal that can kill, and from a quick google, is responsible for more than its fair share of major injuries.
  • AHiFi 4 Sep 2006 10:10:57 1,665 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye, great shame. Enjoyed watching his love of the Australian wildlife and such. He died doing what he loved, but it's a shame it was to a territory that was just new to him i.e. the water.

RIP Steve; heart goes out to the dadless kids and his widow.
  • zErOb_cOOl 4 Sep 2006 10:12:07 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:
    octo wrote:

I think the irony lies in that he spent yhears putting his head in crocodiles mouths, only to be killed by something that hasn't actually been on record as killing someone before...
    Yes, there have been a few comments on the irony off his death, in that he got killed by a relatively harmless creature. However, I'm always really wary about what could be floating about in the sea with me, and from whatever age I learned a Stingray had a big barb as a tail, which is covered in a toxic venom (most people forget this) I've always remembered, and thought to myself "It didn't get there by accident." I don't think the incident is as ironic as it seems. I mean, knowing Steve Irwin, I'm sure he must have been fondling or rubbing up the Stingray the wrong way. Probably unintentionally, but still.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2006 10:12:21
    JimJam wrote:
    There is only one other recorded death caused by a stingray, and that was in 1945.

Except for this one?
  • Fozzie_bear 4 Sep 2006 10:17:01 15,487 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never liked his tv shows to be honest - a bit too much for me. Am more of a David Attenborough man myself. Still, it's hard to dislike anyone who's clearly so enthusiastic about anything and enjoys what he does.

For me though, he'll always be remembered as the man - more than any other - who proves that sometimes national stereotypes are true: blonde hair, enjoys outdoor pursuits, quite clearly a couple of koalas short of a zoo - the definitive Aussie man!

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Huntcjna 4 Sep 2006 10:19:18 13,871 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He was basically the real life Mick Dundee.

End of the day he was a Legend and will be greatley missed.
  • magicpanda 4 Sep 2006 10:21:59 13,266 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ;_;

He fucking loved it, every minute. Can't fault him for that. He led a life most of us will only ever dream of.

R.I.P. Steve Irwin.
  • gamesb*tch 4 Sep 2006 10:27:10 645 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never thought I would be compiling an obit to Croc Hunter - there's no irony in his death - except the fact that his title was ironic. He did more to stop illegal hunting (of Crocs and other animals) than many other 'TV conservationists'.

My fave 'Steve' moment was he was facing down the Cobra of Doom (not too hot on latin names for snakes) in some ridiculous ladies sunglasses and the deadly frigger of a snake spat a ton of venom into his face and he went: "Strewth, he fair covered me sunnies!" ha ha - and also a deadly game for the Tv audience.

Second favourite was when he proved that snakes can move at 19km/h by running in front of one through a speed trap like device - clocking only 17km/h. The bon mot this time: "I gotta get fit. Dust off the treadmill"

Sure enough he was a bit of a ya ya, but will anyone feel anything when Ben Fakey Posy Accent Twat our very own safey safey zoo based, "ooo I did some rowing once", 'TV conservationist' dies... no, course not.
  • thefilthandthefury 4 Sep 2006 10:30:34 24,951 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn, I can't believe it. His nature shows were the only I've ever really got into as he was so enthusiastic, you could tell he loved his job. A sad day :(
  • Page

of 7 First / Last