Crocodile Hunter died!!! Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• harrisimo 4 Sep 2006 17:18:57 383 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    transcript of an in-depth interview with the man himself here (from a few years ago i think).

interview

if you can read this and not feel hugely sorry that such a likeable, colourful, positive guy is dead, then you are one mean dude.

• rauper Staff 4 Sep 2006 17:19:25 3,321 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    deleted that thread for 2 reasons - one because it isn't appropriate, and secondly because it was started by another incarnation of koti who has now been banned.
  • mouse Moderator 4 Sep 2006 17:20:40 10,312 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /starts joke appropriateness stopwatch
  • T.G. 4 Sep 2006 17:26:42 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damned shame about Steve Irwin. /is sad
  • TwistidChimp 4 Sep 2006 17:27:06 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Toast wrote:
    koti?

King of the Indies, forum regular, became KOTI, got GI'd, came back under different name with mod approval, now been banned it would seem.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Sep 2006 17:27:45 38,339 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Under the name Grandad_Tourismo. I wouldn't have guessed actually.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Goban 4 Sep 2006 17:30:24 9,071 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Real shame, although I can't help but think to myself that he was a silly man for risking his life when he was married with kiddies. Was his life I suppose :(
  • Deleted user 4 September 2006 17:30:54
    Rooney wrote:
    too right....

hard not to like him or at least know he's a genuine person with nothing but heart..(fuck off)

yes he's annoying and people love to hate him, but its not really cool to like anyone these days

Yeah..it irked me somewhat when people slagged him off for no real reason. Sure, some people might dislike his personality, but there's no denying his passion or his dedication to what is widely viewed as a very worthwhile cause. Fame and fortune didn't change him one bit, as far as I can see.

He's kinda like the Anti-Bono in many respects.
  • jellyhead 4 Sep 2006 17:33:24 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    Real shame, although I can't help but think to myself that he was a silly man for risking his life when he was married with kiddies. Was his life I suppose :(
    It's what he did, he was a croc conservationist. I doubt stopping even entered his mind or his family's.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Merlinho 4 Sep 2006 18:07:34 5,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not an habitual complainer, but why on earth did George Alagiah just announce Steve's death with such an upbeat tone on the 6 o'clock news?

"Steve Irwin is KILLED by a STINGRAY!"

It's not the dead donkey, it's a sad event, and should be broadcast as such; because he was a funny man, it doesn't make his death, however ironic it may/may not be, joke material for BBC news reporters.

Edited by Merlinho at 18:13:50 04-09-2006
  • ilmaestro 4 Sep 2006 18:16:19 32,460 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't believe I'm only just noticing this now...

What a legend, this is close to Mitch Hedberg dying in the shocking stakes, even though Irwin always seemed to put himself in harm's way I could never actually imagine him being killed like that, for some reason.

• darkmorgado 4 Sep 2006 18:20:51 15,561 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    even though Irwin always seemed to put himself in harm's way I could never actually imagine him being killed like that, for some reason.

There was an interview with his producer on the radio earlier. He was doing some filming for his daughter's new show - nice safe stuff about the coral. They weren't looking for the stingray - it just happened to be there by the sounds of it. Ironic that despite all the danger he put himself in he should be killed in such an accident when he thought he was doing a safe bit of filming :/

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• ilmaestro 4 Sep 2006 18:25:30 32,460 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    even though Irwin always seemed to put himself in harm's way I could never actually imagine him being killed like that, for some reason.

There was an interview with his producer on the radio earlier. He was doing some filming for his daughter's new show - nice safe stuff about the coral. They weren't looking for the stingray - it just happened to be there by the sounds of it. Ironic that despite all the danger he put himself in he should be killed in such an accident when he thought he was doing a safe bit of filming :/
    Yeah it's crazy when you put it like that - all the insane situations he'd found himself in I suppose it seemed like he was invicible in my mind. Silly, but that's what TV can do to you.

• TwistidChimp 4 Sep 2006 18:42:18 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Toast wrote:
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Toast wrote:
    koti?

King of the Indies, forum regular, became KOTI, got GI'd, came back under different name with mod approval, now been banned it would seem.

Yeah, I know. It was a lame gag aiming at confusion between what raups wrote and Rooney's response.

ah.. k.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2006 19:28:30
    Heard this morning. As much as he annoyed the animals, he loved what he was doing and did a lot for his cause. RIP.
  • Khab 4 Sep 2006 20:15:15 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What a waste. Poor Terri.

At least he died doing what he loved, I guess.

RIP Steve.
  • MetalDog 4 Sep 2006 20:48:45 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty sure that if I'd met him in person he would have driven me absolutely batshit with his loudness and infinite energy, but what a cracking bloke he was. Just knowing he was on the planet being a crazy bastard was a good thing.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Aretak 4 Sep 2006 21:19:25 10,359 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    No other man made people tune into watch shows based on nature, people with no other interest in and animal kingdom watched his shows, were entertained and educated at the sametime.
    To be fair, I think the legendary David Attenborough deserves a mention in this regard.
  • MrSensible 4 Sep 2006 21:21:24 25,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    absolutezero wrote:
    No other man made people tune into watch shows based on nature, people with no other interest in and animal kingdom watched his shows, were entertained and educated at the sametime.
    To be fair, I think the legendary David Attenborough deserves a mention in this regard.

See, I've never got on with Attenborough. He always seemed too... boring. Steve was always full throttle, I liked that.
  • chronom4n 4 Sep 2006 21:23:54 527 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i could not believe that he is dead. for me the thing is that he died doing what he enjoyed most. rather that then finding out that you are going to die of cancer. Just feel sorry for the wife and kids.

On a lighter note, i was capable of doing a really cracking impersonation of him. I used to make fun of my manager by saying in steve irwin style by saying" be careful my friend, there is a creature sitting at that table in that office and IF you are not careful on how you approach him, HE MAY JUST BIIITTTTEE!!!"

used to crease up my work mates no end.

may he r.i.p.

Edited by chronom4n at 21:25:41 04-09-2006
  • matrim83 4 Sep 2006 21:25:08 5,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    absolutezero wrote:

See, I've never got on with Attenborough. He always seemed too... boring. Steve was always full throttle, I liked that.

My favourate has been Austin Stevens. Its been a while since I've seen it though.

Valar morghulis.

• Aretak 4 Sep 2006 21:31:31 10,359 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    absolutezero wrote:
    I just find his voice... comforting, I guess. He's always been there doing these programs throughout my entire life so far, and I'd like to believe that he always will be. I have huge respect for the fact that he's still out there making new documentaries and doing what he loves at 80 years of age.
  • GrayFox 4 Sep 2006 21:32:21 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest when my sister told me "Crocodile Hunter died!". I thought: "What? The actor?", but didn't say anything.

Then my mom asks what's going on, my sis says:

"Crocodile Hunter died!"

"What? The actor?"

lol

/sulks

/doesn't watch animal planet often
  • MrSensible 4 Sep 2006 21:33:35 25,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    I have huge respect for the fact that he's still out there making new documentaries and doing what he loves at 80 years of age.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I definitely respect him and what he's done. He's inspired many people to get interested in the subjects. I just prefer the way Steve got so into it, up close and personal.
  • darkmorgado 4 Sep 2006 22:00:03 15,561 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    absolutezero wrote:
    I just find his voice... comforting, I guess. He's always been there doing these programs throughout my entire life so far, and I'd like to believe that he always will be. I have huge respect for the fact that he's still out there making new documentaries and doing what he loves at 80 years of age.

Attenborough's a true pro. The famous bit with the gorillas was pure class and his professionalism really shone through on the extended scenes on the dvd. All the time he maintained a quiet and calm voice during what must have been a rather scary time.

"And now... the alpha male... acknowledges.... my presence. He walks over... slowly... and he sniffs my hand... He. Oh god... he's touching... my... arse.

Someone.. quick... give him a fucking banana or something.... please... i beg you.

David Attenborough: A real trooper.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Freek 4 Sep 2006 22:01:54 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's how he earned his knighthood. ;)
  • El_MUERkO 4 Sep 2006 22:38:08 17,050 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "A stingray? A damn stingray? This dude spent 40 hours a day poking dinosaurs with sticks and he gets it from a damn stingray? They're supposed to sting and ray things, not impale people who entertain me. They're damn fish, not Jason. You're not funny Irony. This is why everybody hates you."

couldnt have said it better myself
  • Page

of 7 First / Last