The Official Cool Indie Game List

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TwistidChimp 1 Sep 2006 23:52:42 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've done a search of the forum and cant find a thread that keeps an up to date list of cool Indie games that most people wont have played/heard of. It doesn't have to be free, just good, so dont post any old crap :)

All the games I've listed so far have either demo's or the full game available from the link provided.

If there is already a thread like this that i've missed then link me up, otherwise I'll start the ball rolling with..

-------------------------------------------------------------

Armadillo Run
    I think everyone on the forum's probably heard of it now. Fantastic physics & construction based puzzle game in which you have to build structures to guide an Armadillo to safety. Its utterly great, there's a demo available and the full game is only a tenner.

Cloud
    The independant Game Festivals 2006 winner, you control a kid, stuck in a hospital bed, imagining he's flying through the clouds. You can also draw the clouds into you, then release them to draw on the sky, or to fight back rain clouds. Its absolutley lovely, and has a fantastic soundtrack which is available in mp3 format from here.

Kudos
    (cheers Gremmi :) An updated version of Alter Ego, basically a turn based life simulation game. You make the choices of your character throughout his or her life. Friends, job, hobbies, etc and get to see how they turn out.

Scratches
    An atmospheric horror point and click adventure, think Myst.. only alot more unsettling. You play a horror writer, exploring the home you've just purchased.

Dark Signs
    (cheers Rythm :) A command line based hacking game, like Introversions seminal Uplink. Only alot more realistic and complex. It comes with what amounts to its own scripting language, and the ability to create and share missions.

Mount & Blade
    Pretty well known by now, a medieval fantasy rpg, well known for its great implementation of mounted combat. Explore the world, fighting, questing and recruiting new units to command in battle.

Narbacular Drop
    The game that has become Portal from Valve software. An inventive puzzle game in which you can create portals to complete mind bending puzzles.

Spheres of Chaos
    A marvelously psychadelic asteroids style game which uses huge multi coloured explosions made up of individual pixels to create an eye bleedingly colourfull and constantly changing look.

Bridge Construction Set
    A physics based construction game, similar in nature to Armadillo Run, use various tools to build bridge then stress and test them to see if they stand up to punishment (or make a piece of crap and laugh as a it collapses sending the train going over it into the sea :) Direct link to demo download here

Bridge It
    From the same developer that brought you Bridge Construction Set, Bridge It is alot more impressive graphically, although the gameplay is much the same, create bridges to span different spaces then test their strength. Demo available here.

N
    Pretty old but great all the same, Ninja themed platform / puzzler. Play as a ninja trapped in a world of well-meaning, inadvertantly homicidal robots. version 1.4 includes tons of levels (500), organized neatly into 100 unlockable episodes, and features 50 levels made by fans.

Kenta Cho - aka - ABA Games
    Rather than list every game from ABA, here's the link to their homepage. Critically acclaimed and frequently mental shoot em ups.

Darfur is Dying
    Worthy of praise for highlighting the plight of Darfur to thousands who otherwise wouldn't learn about the tragedy, or an excersise in bad taste in making entertainment from a humanitarian disaster. I think most people will swerve heavily towards the former, given the motives of the developers. Makes for a very uncomfortable experience either way. EG Interview here.

Live for Speed
    A very impressive online racing sim. demo is available. Amazing given the small size of the development team.

Warning Forever
    A mental looking verticall scrolling shoot em up. Will add more when i've played it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'll add new stuff to the list as we go (if the thread continues past tonight :). Feel free to post anything cool that you've found, just thought it'd be nice to have lots of unusual stuff in one place for people to try out.

Edited by TwistidChimp at 16:32:15 04-09-2006
  • f_u 2 Sep 2006 00:03:59 3 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Amajiro 2 Sep 2006 00:15:56 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You seem to have completely missed EG's article on exactly this topic. So: Old.
  • TwistidChimp 2 Sep 2006 00:20:54 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sigh.. yes I did miss that but I dont think there's any harm in having a thread where people can post others. Just cause EG have done indie game articles in the past doesn't mean a thread to discover new ones is redundant. 4 of the my first 5 wern't on that list after all.

Edited by TwistidChimp at 00:22:38 02-09-2006
  • TriodeBliss 2 Sep 2006 00:25:05 724 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amajiro wrote:
    That article is for freeware only.
  • morriss 2 Sep 2006 00:26:51 71,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cloud is teh fantastic.
  • TwistidChimp 2 Sep 2006 00:30:56 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Cloud is teh fantastic.

It most certainly is. Also for anyone that likes the music, the full soundtrack is available in mp3 format from here
  • haowan 2 Sep 2006 03:26:17 7,384 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Obligatory blog links

tigs
    independent gaming including WIP top-ten list
    new releases (developer focus)

Myself I've recently been digging within a deep forest. In the past, Chromatron took a few months of my life.

Other titles to pimp include Push Push Penguin, BreakQuest, and who can forget Elastomania?

Spheres Of Chaos still on sale despite periods of being given away free etc. Still an awesome take on Asteroids and a big inspiration for me to get into development.

Notable developers:

Chronic Logic, creators of Bridge Construction Set, http://www.chroniclogic.com/triptych.htm>Triptych, Gish, and indirectly Golf? and some other triptych-based new game with the same dreadful artist as Gish

Kenta Cho aka ABA Games, darling of the indie shooter scene.

Hikware / CHI-X author of the omniscient Warning Forever and the embryonic RayHound.

Large Animal Games, home of the inscrutable Alpha Queue, and the burgeoning International Unipong Association.

Iteration games

Edited by haowan at 03:26:25 02-09-2006
  • haowan 2 Sep 2006 03:26:22 7,384 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • SpaceDave3000 2 Sep 2006 03:28:22 78,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Which reminds me, I was going to submit an artical to EG about Kenta Cho, I've got an interview with him and everything!

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• T.G. 2 Sep 2006 03:28:35 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote: Sigh.. yes I did miss that but I don't think there's any harm in having a thread where people can post others. Just cause EG have done indie game articles in the past doesn't mean a thread to discover new ones is redundant. 4 of my first 5 weren't on that list after all.
    +1 REZ.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Sep 2006 03:41:23 35,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good idea for a thread - keep the first post updated, will you, and add Mount & Blade while you're at it! :)
  • Kostabi 2 Sep 2006 09:55:29 4,932 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Live For Speed is probably the best indie game I've ever played. Considering it's coded by just one guy the quality of the sim is staggering.
  • TwistidChimp 2 Sep 2006 12:11:23 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Coolies, lots of good responses, I'll get adding.
  • kentmonkey 2 Sep 2006 12:21:17 20,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amajiro wrote:
    Going on that basis, as they've written reviews for pretty much every game released, we'd best stop making threads about games as well then hadn't we, otherwise we might get the dreaded "old".

Great thread, when I get Broadband in a few weeks I'm gonna test it out on some of these downloads.
  • ralphwolfenstein 2 Sep 2006 12:34:22 1,038 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not an Indie game as such but...

The Rez soundtrack

here

Try playing Geometry Wars to it
  • TwistidChimp 2 Sep 2006 19:59:55 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    I /still/ don't really understand what you have to do in Clouds :/

Each level has a different objective, one of them you have to draw up the clouds, then use them to draw the lolly shape in the sky. One of the later ones you have to draw them up, then release them to eradicate the rain clouds etc.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Jul 2008 11:59:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shift 3. New!
  • figgis 23 Jul 2008 12:00:46 7,376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dwarf Fortress should be on that list.
  • pauleyc 23 Jul 2008 12:02:44 4,465 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got "Shellshocked!". Excellent idea for a platform game.

edit: @Blerk
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next