someones hacked my gmail!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • AceMaCool 1 Sep 2006 09:04:53 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried to log in to one of my accounts this morning and it came up as incorrect password and my security question is now in Chinese!

Its not my principle account so all is not lost but there is something important in there I need to access.

Does anyone know how I can contact Google to let them know whats going on? Doesn't seem to be anywhere obvious to report hacking.
  • Tomo 1 Sep 2006 09:05:51 13,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking hell! That's 3 people on this forum now in about as many months! Ask Gremmi or the other person :/
  • AceMaCool 1 Sep 2006 09:11:14 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopefully one of them will turn up later and help me out.

Did they manage to get thier accounts back?

Google really need to sort themselves out if this is happening this often, my main account is also with gmail and if that gets haxxored I'll be totally stuffed.
  • Dexter 1 Sep 2006 09:13:29 1,060 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think they managed to get them back but Gremmi figured out how it happened iirc.
  • Tomo 1 Sep 2006 09:13:40 13,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Gremmi might have but he's l33t like that. I dunno about the other guy. Gremmi certainly got the fuckers address and details in Hong Kong or wherever it was.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2006 09:16:39
    Google won't do shit to help you. You'll have to fight just to get through automated responses. The only real chance you have of getting back in is if you had a secondary e-mail account. If there's any Change/Forgotten Password requests in there, just use the most recently dated one, and that should let you get back in. First box is "Type new password", second box is "Confirm new password".

EDIT: Bit of explanation. The Change/Forgotten Password request is so stupidly weak. Every time you click it, it'll generate a random URL to go to. This URL requires no authentication at all, it's literally a page saying "Type new password". This page can be brute-forced/guessed for access by them doing a Change Password request on their own Gmail account at the same time.

Edited by Gremmi at 09:18:50 01-09-2006
  • AceMaCool 1 Sep 2006 09:17:27 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dexter 1 Sep 2006 09:17:35 1,060 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any more details on how it happened or how to prevent it Gremmi?
  • AceMaCool 1 Sep 2006 09:18:41 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah tried that, not sure if the hacker changed it or if I never had one in the first place.

Bastards.
  • prettyboytim 1 Sep 2006 09:46:16 907 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So Gremmi, you're saying that they just keep making random changes to the password request URL until they hit a valid account? Is there any way to protect against it?
  • merovingian 1 Sep 2006 09:55:20 144 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jesus... If that happened to me I'd be totally stuffed. They'd have access to PayPal, my bank account, everything...

Are there any email accounts that are secure these days?!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next