The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 4

• Page

of 157 First / Last

• StixxUK 12 Jul 2009 19:11:42 7,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm getting mildly disturbed by the fact that my friends who watch this are talking about people's faces getting "properly fucked up" like it's the best thing in the world.

Maybe it's just around me but the attitude toward actual genuine violence these days seems to be regressing.
  • jozz 12 Jul 2009 19:47:26 4,871 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You've got to give Lesnar credit for his actual performances in the cage, especially since the UFC basically threw him against top competition in his second fight. The pro wrestling gimmicks i.e. being a 'heel' in interviews, flipping off the crowd etc. and the disrespect he shows to opponents and the staff is fucking embarrasing. I get that it's his shtick and it's clearly bringing in the WWE audience but it really doesn't do a growing combat sport favours when you're swiftly becoming it's biggest star, acting like that imo.

What Henderson did to Bisping was pretty unacceptable too. Babalu got shit canned out of the UFC for holding a choke too long and that seems pretty tame in comparison.

It's was a good card mind, not the bestevarTM but fun to watch. Unless I missed it Bruce didn't attempt the Buffer360 though :(
  • Onny 12 Jul 2009 20:10:33 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder where Lesnar will go in the UFC from here? I would like to see him fight Nog, although I'd be suprised if he didn't just manhandle Nog in the same way he manhandled Mir (even though, IMO, Nog has better JuJitsu). Other than that, who is left?

Outside the UFC, Arlovski would be an interesting fight, and of course there is always The Almighty Fedor, but I suspect that will never happen, unfotunately.
  • jozz 12 Jul 2009 20:29:20 4,871 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, he is looking pretty unstoppable right now. His power and how fast he is bettering himself is amazing. Every time soneone thinks they're going to exploit a flaw he seems to juggernaught straight through them. I'd be much more of a fan if it wasn't for all the bloody antics :p.I'd say there's only a few people who might stand a good chance. Fedor, Overeem, Barnett and maybe Valasquez or Carwin.

Agreed that we'll never see Fedor in the UFC although there's a rumour that Affliction are going to sell all their contracts over to the UFC after the next card so who knows.
  • jozz 12 Jul 2009 20:52:23 4,871 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oops, spoke a bit too soon! Seems like there's a good possibility that he's going to be signing soon Dana White says Fedor Emelianenko will fight in the UFC, Brock Lesnar fight imminent. His last fight for Affliction is the one in August I think. That is going to be a massive fight if it ever happens.
  • BeerBread 13 Jul 2009 19:41:07 5 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jozz wrote:
    You've got to give Lesnar credit for his actual performances in the cage, especially since the UFC basically threw him against top competition in his second fight. The pro wrestling gimmicks i.e. being a 'heel' in interviews, flipping off the crowd etc. and the disrespect he shows to opponents and the staff is fucking embarrasing. I get that it's his shtick and it's clearly bringing in the WWE audience but it really doesn't do a growing combat sport favours when you're swiftly becoming it's biggest star, acting like that imo.

What Henderson did to Bisping was pretty unacceptable too. Babalu got shit canned out of the UFC for holding a choke too long and that seems pretty tame in comparison.

It's was a good card mind, not the bestevarTM but fun to watch. Unless I missed it Bruce didn't attempt the Buffer360 though :(
    He did it when he introed Lesnar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi6nPFr0WhM
    LOL it was awesome!

Also I used to be real skeptical of Lesnar (not being a fan of pro wrestling & not knowing much about his collegiate wrestling background), but the way you've got him is all wrong.

He genuinely hates Mir. Mir shit talked NON-STOP. Lesnar didn't shit talk anyone but Mazagatti for that BS stand-up the first time. And if you pay attention you can tell Herb Dean tried to do the same thing w/ the action BS. Brock was extra-careful not to hit anywhere near the back of the head this time cause i think he knew they would try to stand it up. He didnt even hit the side of the head, only the face.

Also, Why is it ok to give a BJJ guy time to maneuver for a transition but it's not Brock? I have a feeling they just didn't want the fight to look too one-sided.

Lesnar vs. Fedor that's what I want to see.

As for him shit talking the crowd i thought that was hilarious, they were booing him because he beat the local Vegas guy. He didnt give a ****. That's one thing i like about the guy, he's already loaded & set for life. So he's not going to suck up or get pushed around by the UFC like a lot of other fighters.

Watch some interviews w/ him. He's really a pretty down to earth nice dude w/ even head on his shoulders.

HDNet Inside MMA interview Part 1
    http://blip.tv/play/Afi7R4vTeQ

HDNet Inside MMA interview Part 2
    http://blip.tv/play/Afn_FYvTeQ
  • Onny 13 Jul 2009 19:59:28 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I think it's easy to hate Lesnar as a kind of knee-jerk reaction; WTF is this WWE guy doing in a real combat sport? But once you get over that it's clear that he is an incredibly skilled fighter with some outstanding physical gifts.

If Fedor vs Lesnar goes ahead that would be amazing, but I won't believe it until they're both in the ring and Buffer does a buffer 720 ;)

I think I'd still back Fedor, though. The man is.. well, inhuman is a good word.
  • jozz 13 Jul 2009 20:21:11 4,871 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BeerBread wrote:
    LOL it was awesome!
    Heh, they must really not like him doing the move as it's alway cut from the broadcast. Thanks for the link.

He genuinely hates Mir. Mir shit talked NON-STOP. Lesnar didn't shit talk anyone but Mazagatti for that BS stand-up the first time.
    He acted the same way with Herring too. It's alway good to see a good grunge match but when you've already beaten the guy to a bloody pulp it is a little classless to walk over and gloat about it. Which he's done twice now. Plus acting like a bit of a dick to the corner men and doctor too. Gimmick or genuine I just think you should show at least some common courtesy after the fight.

As for him shit talking the crowd i thought that was hilarious, they were booing him because he beat the local Vegas guy. He didnt give a ****. That's one thing i like about the guy, he's already loaded & set for life. So he's not going to suck up or get pushed around by the UFC like a lot of other fighters.
    Yeah, some people got a kick out of it and some didn't. It was a funny speech at the end. He's obviously going for a love or hate type of appeal but I'd much prefer he didn't try to work any angle really. Don't get me wrong he is a great to watch fight it's just the bits before and after that are starting to grate ;)
  • BeerBread 15 Jul 2009 02:34:03 5 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jozz wrote:
    BeerBread wrote:
    LOL it was awesome!
    Heh, they must really not like him doing the move as it's alway cut from the broadcast. Thanks for the link.

He genuinely hates Mir. Mir shit talked NON-STOP. Lesnar didn't shit talk anyone but Mazagatti for that BS stand-up the first time.
    He acted the same way with Herring too. It's alway good to see a good grunge match but when you've already beaten the guy to a bloody pulp it is a little classless to walk over and gloat about it. Which he's done twice now. Plus acting like a bit of a dick to the corner men and doctor too. Gimmick or genuine I just think you should show at least some common courtesy after the fight.

Yeah, some people got a kick out of it and some didn't. It was a funny speech at the end. He's obviously going for a love or hate type of appeal but I'd much prefer he didn't try to work any angle really. Don't get me wrong he is a great to watch fight it's just the bits before and after that are starting to grate ;)

well, Herring shit-talked him as well. so did his corner. they even shit talked him right before the fight started while they were in their corners yelling "this aint the WWE!" and laughing. that's gunna piss him off obviously. I like herring as a fighter too, so im not just tryin to talk bad about him. but it's documented they did this. hopefully ppl will eventually find out that pissing off lesnar isn't gunna help them beat him. a lot of ppl think that if they can get a fighter angry that he'll make mistakes during the fight.

however, i see no difference between shit talking before or after a fight. the amount of shit talking Mir did i think the humiliation brock tried to drop on him was justified. in interviews (not just the UFC promo-reel) but like ESPN radio and fight blog interviews he basically said brock wasnt a fighter and he wouldnt know what was going on and would be so confused he'd ask Mir for striking/submission lessons after the fight. of course he said it in a much more egomanical demeaning manner.

maybe its because i listened/read so many interviews from them both that my attitudes changed. when i first heard lesnar was going to fight mir the first time i was hoping for brock to lose (because i always viewed pro wrestling as silly). But the more i learned about him the more i started to like him. Mir also the more i learned about him (heard him talk) the more i began to hate that dude. Not because hes confident, all fighters have to be who want to be champ. But because he's an egomaniac & a pseudo-intellectual. The guy cant even pronounce two syllable words right when commentating for the WEC and he thinks he's one of the greatest minds in MMA. it's ridiculous. So the fact that i hate Mir could be clouding my judgement. But i think that if one opponent shit talks a lot before the fight he should expect to be mocked after the fight if they lose. If a fighter wants to lose graciously, dont shit talk before a fight.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 15 Jul 2009 03:10:20 11,118 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, in fairness, Henderson did say that he knew he was out cold when he hit him that last time in the interview with Joe Rogan. That's really not on. I love the UFC, but shit like that's no good for the sport if it goes unpunished in the long-term.

If he said that he just wanted to be sure it'd be fine, but he basically said I dropped a massive bomb on a guy I knew was unconscious and unable to defend himself against it. And that's fucking shit IMO.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• ilmaestro 15 Jul 2009 03:25:03 32,299 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was trying to come up with a catchy "you'd have to be [blind as a xxx, thick as a xxx] to not know he was out straight away" line, but there is literally nothing that fits - *no-one* watching or involved in that fight was in any doubt that Bisping was gone, and the cheap shot was a disgrace, and the kind of thing that tars MMA for people like me.

• PES_Fanboy 15 Jul 2009 07:41:46 11,636 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bisping deserved a smack for being such a dick on TUF.

Disgraceful that they're protecting the prelims so much that the fight of the night isn't broadcast. FFS. Why would you put a Fitch fight on last? They're always death.
  • PES_Fanboy 15 Jul 2009 07:45:32 11,636 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And, for those who may be interested, details of the UFC 100 purses.

Mir needs a new agent. That purse probably didn't even cover the plastic surgeon fees!
  • Venkman90 15 Jul 2009 09:34:21 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    And, for those who may be interested, details of the UFC 100 purses.

Mir needs a new agent. That purse probably didn't even cover the plastic surgeon fees!

Thats shockingly low...what the hell? For a title shot aswell
  • PES_Fanboy 15 Jul 2009 09:42:18 11,636 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah......Mark Coleman, yeah yeah legend, but he got more than Mir for fighting on the prelims. Without his win bonus.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2009 16:29:35
    Some rumours have been circulating that Tito Ortiz could be returning to the UFC, He and Dana have apparently settled their differences. Ortiz could return as early as UFC 103 with Rich Franklin being his opponent. Interesting.
  • funkyd 19 Jul 2009 04:44:56 7,522 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DasBooter wrote:
    Am hoping to get tickets for UFC 105 on November 14th at the Manchester Evening News Arena. No idea what they'll be priced at or when they'll be released.

The fights obviously aren't announced yet either but I don't care, it would just be great to see live.

Can you say here when the tickets will be released? I'd love to go.
  • AlbionHitman 20 Jul 2009 07:32:45 13 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Michael Bisping to get his ass handed to him by Anderson Silva @ UFC 105 for the win!! :D

Other than that fight and Fedor V Brock, the other fight I would love to see would be Anderson V GSP, my 2 favourite UFC fighters, 2 of the most popular and most gifted. How awesome..?
  • Venkman90 20 Jul 2009 08:04:08 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AlbionHitman wrote:
    Michael Bisping to get his ass handed to him by Anderson Silva @ UFC 105 for the win!! :D

Other than that fight and Fedor V Brock, the other fight I would love to see would be Anderson V GSP, my 2 favourite UFC fighters, 2 of the most popular and most gifted. How awesome..?

I assume that first sentence was a joke? since Mikes shot at the title vanished when Hendo hit him with that punch that started in Ohio.

They reckon Bisping will headline, rumor is it will be against either Cote or Wandi, the latter being a bigger legend than Dan (who has not aged as well to be fair). If it's Wandi then Bisping is gonna get Axe murdered.

Dan Hardy shows a lot of promise at WW, he made the top 10 WW after he beat Davis, not bad for a brit ;)
  • AlbionHitman 20 Jul 2009 18:14:58 13 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    AlbionHitman wrote:

I assume that first sentence was a joke? since Mikes shot at the title vanished when Hendo hit him with that punch that started in Ohio.

They reckon Bisping will headline, rumor is it will be against either Cote or Wandi, the latter being a bigger legend than Dan (who has not aged as well to be fair). If it's Wandi then Bisping is gonna get Axe murdered.

Dan Hardy shows a lot of promise at WW, he made the top 10 WW after he beat Davis, not bad for a brit ;)

Of course it was, Bisping is terrible and has the worst standing defence of any UFC fighter I can think of.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2009 14:28:21
    Franklin/Hendo 2 scheduled for UFC 103, the first fight was a terrible, do we really have to see it again. Oh, i have just heard the sad news that UFC pioneer Kimo has died due to heart problems.

RIP Kimo, thanks for the memories.
  • Venkman90 21 Jul 2009 14:38:15 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I feel sorry for Dan, he deserves another shot at Silva

Bisping has stated he would have done the same as Dan with that forearm drop, should shut some folk up. Really curious to see who he fights at 105, if it's Cote or Wandi then I don't give him much chance but I hope it is, cos if he BEATS either of them by any means other than running away and jabbing then he might actually have legitamicy.
  • PES_Fanboy 21 Jul 2009 14:40:52 11,636 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If Hendo knocked Bisping out, he *really* shouldn't fight Wanderlei.
  • Venkman90 21 Jul 2009 14:57:34 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    If Hendo knocked Bisping out, he *really* shouldn't fight Wanderlei.

I would tend to agree, but Wandi can be stopped (as Dan did), Dan is like a brick.
  • PES_Fanboy 21 Jul 2009 14:59:46 11,636 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, sorry, I thought the idea was for Bisping to fight Silva...
  • funkyd 23 Jul 2009 15:07:02 7,522 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tickets for UFC 105, if anyone's interested. Bit expensive, mind. I'd go but I'm off to see a WWE show in Belfast the day after so things would be too tight.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jul 2009 15:11:01 24,559 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking hell! A 'bit' expensive! :)
  • Page

of 157 First / Last