The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 156

• Page

of 181 First / Last

• Deckard1 16 Mar 2014 12:29:22 29,126 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Unfortunately you don't get to choose the champion, its who wins the fights.

And his stand up is very decent imo. Yes he lacks the flashy head kicks and combinations, but his timing is excellent. And to say he just spams the left hand is a bit disingenuous given that his leg kicks went a long way to towards winning him the fight last night. And lets not forget, he pretty much dominated GSP in the stand-up, so to say he's rubbish is kind of absurd.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Reacher 16 Mar 2014 13:41:00 887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was left feeling a little let down by the card, despite some really good fights.

I'm pleased for Hendricks, though I would equally have liked Lawler to win it.

Sanchez, for his entertainment value, is not a good fighter and I get the feeling that the modern MMA game has just passed him by now with the evolution of fighters like Jury.

For the WW division, some of the best technical fighters are there. I think you're being harsh a bit on Hendricks in that criticism of his work. He's got fairly solid standup and great grappling. He fights to finish every time too. I wish Condit hadn't been injured as I would very much liek those two to fight again soon.

I am glad no-one is mentioning Rory MacDonald in this conversation about good WW's. I can't stand his style at all let alone Rogan's verbal masturbation of him every fight.
  • The-Bodybuilder 16 Mar 2014 16:46:04 14,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Unfortunately you don't get to choose the champion, its who wins the fights.

And his stand up is very decent imo. Yes he lacks the flashy head kicks and combinations, but his timing is excellent. And to say he just spams the left hand is a bit disingenuous given that his leg kicks went a long way to towards winning him the fight last night. And lets not forget, he pretty much dominated GSP in the stand-up, so to say he's rubbish is kind of absurd.
    Dominated GSP? Haha, yes. Your opinion.
    And I don't get to choose the champ? durrr. But I get to choose who I support and I choose not to support him. That's not against the rules.

Spamming the left is disingenuous, but he tried many times. His stand up, and that's in regards to not "flashy stuff" is basic. Zero purposeful footwork and head movement. And calling his timing is excellent is disingenuous too.

At the end of the day we support the type of fighters we like, and he is not the type of fighter I like. It's that simple.

Plus he's an arrogant cock.
  • The-Bodybuilder 16 Mar 2014 16:48:59 14,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    I was left feeling a little let down by the card, despite some really good fights.

I'm pleased for Hendricks, though I would equally have liked Lawler to win it.

Sanchez, for his entertainment value, is not a good fighter and I get the feeling that the modern MMA game has just passed him by now with the evolution of fighters like Jury.

For the WW division, some of the best technical fighters are there. I think you're being harsh a bit on Hendricks in that criticism of his work. He's got fairly solid standup and great grappling. He fights to finish every time too. I wish Condit hadn't been injured as I would very much liek those two to fight again soon.

I am glad no-one is mentioning Rory MacDonald in this conversation about good WW's. I can't stand his style at all let alone Rogan's verbal masturbation of him every fight.
    I don't doubt Hendrick's grappling, no doubt. I also don't doubt his knockout power either. But he certainly doesn't seem like he will be a dominant champ. In fact I get the sneaking suspicion that, like his criticisms of GSP, he's gonna start fighting for points to hold the title.

Not a fan of Rory. He's clearly a kitten killer that just supresses it.
  • craigy Staff 16 Mar 2014 17:24:00 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hendricks won't succesfully defend his title, especially if his next opponent is someone equally explosive with equal wrestling ability, like Woodley.

I've a feeling the welterweight belt is going to change hands quite a few times over the next year as the power-punching wrestlers all cancel each other out.
  • El_MUERkO 16 Mar 2014 17:54:28 17,126 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really wanted Robbie to blast Hendricks :(
  • mcmothercruncher 16 Mar 2014 23:42:55 7,493 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shields, very tough, but just awful stand-up. When fighters with one particular skill start training MMA and fail to close the other gaps- I wish they’d just play to their core strengths. He just needs to chain submission attempts fight after fight or give up turding up the fucking Octagon with his “improved stand-up”.

Condit’s knee was brutal. The slo-mo where you could see it literally slide in half, wow.
    Woodley blotted his copybook in my eyes, realised a knee was injured, went for it, saw what happened and didn’t show the slightest concern while prancing around after the win.

I'd have been happy with either winner for the WW belt. Certainly feel bad for Lawler, he's been in the game for a hell of a long time, now he has to work his way back again.
  • craigy Staff 17 Mar 2014 08:13:53 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher can't believe how slow Shields was. He threw a jab at one point and I thought playback had gone into slow motion.

Feel bad for Condit. Hope he's not out too long, cos I love seeing him swagger around the octagon, lungs barely having to work.
  • craigy Staff 17 Mar 2014 08:17:58 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forgot to say: have any of you chaps been listening to the Heavy Hands podcast? It's a good show if you like to hear people talking about technical aspects of fighting.
  • Blakester 17 Mar 2014 11:07:26 3,651 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Considering this was the most anticipated card for some time, I think it was something of a damp squib.

I'll echo what many others have already said, seeing power-punching wrestlers virtually cancel each other out is not my idea of entertainment or indeed martial arts.

If I never see another Jake Shields fight, it'll be a billion years too soon!

I've been watching the UFC for over 10 years now and my enthusiasm has never been lower. I'm a karate guy and love nothing more than seeing great martial arts techniques in the octagon. Unfortunately I'm seeing less and less as each event passes, and the only fighters that really raise my blood pressure are unlikely to ever win the gold (still pulling for Machida obvs.)

I'm reading that Nick Diaz wants to come back. Love the thought of it but just know he'll be neutralised by the wrestlers.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Bahamafish 17 Mar 2014 13:17:59 379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

Condit’s knee was brutal. The slo-mo where you could see it literally slide in half, wow.
    Woodley blotted his copybook in my eyes, realised a knee was injured, went for it, saw what happened and didn’t show the slightest concern while prancing around after the win.
    It was a bit ruthless, but you can't just expect Woodley to be like "oh, his knee is injured - maybe I shouldn't do leg kicks anymore". Condit should just have pulled out of the fight.

I've been watching the UFC for over 10 years now and my enthusiasm has never been lower. I'm a karate guy and love nothing more than seeing great martial arts techniques in the octagon. Unfortunately I'm seeing less and less as each event passes, and the only fighters that really raise my blood pressure are unlikely to ever win the gold (still pulling for Machida obvs.)
    Far too many events and many of the fighters are too similar in styles nowadays. I'm a bjj guy, but I prefere watching Glory over 80% of the UFC cards.

Edited by Bahamafish at 15:02:10 17-03-2014
  • craigy Staff 17 Mar 2014 13:34:59 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think it's right to cry foul on Woodley -- he did earn the injury in a way by taking Condit down in an awkward way, then was smart enough to realise he should test Condit's legs. That's good awareness in my book.

We saw something similar a little while back when the Korean Zombie separated his shoulder in his fight with Aldo -- Aldo correctly capitalised on it by throwing kicks at his arm, forcing the stoppage. If your opponent looks hurt, you go for the kill. It's like saying that if you land a liver kick you shouldn't be allowed to follow up with body strikes, as you know you may have injured them. The whole point is to make your opponent submit.
  • Bahamafish 17 Mar 2014 13:52:13 379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @craigy

Exactly. I hate that front kick jbj throws to the knees though.
  • craigy Staff 17 Mar 2014 13:56:54 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Bahamafish yeah I think linear knee strikes should be made illegal.
  • onestepfromlost 17 Mar 2014 14:08:25 2,107 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't see the fight did they show all of them though? was whitefords fight televised. Mon the local boy.
  • minleg 19 Mar 2014 12:33:12 30 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hi can anyone help by giving me some advice on what is the best way to watch live/past events in the UK? I currently have no sky, virgin or PC access and basically just use my ps3 or ps4 for Netflix. Is there any way I get it through Now tv or something like that? Any help would be much appreciated cheers.
  • craigy Staff 19 Mar 2014 12:35:04 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @minleg Get UFC Fight Pass -- it's the UFC's equivalent of Netflix. £6/month and almost every past event is on there.
  • craigy Staff 19 Mar 2014 12:35:47 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @minleg sorry, skipped over the bit about not having PC access. Though you can access Fight Pass on iPad/iPhone, if that helps?
  • minleg 19 Mar 2014 12:43:53 30 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @craigy

Hi cheers for that mate. Is that available on android as well?
  • craigy Staff 19 Mar 2014 12:44:32 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @minleg I think so, but not 100% certain.

http://www.ufc.tv/page/fightpass
  • minleg 20 Mar 2014 09:32:31 30 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @craigy

Thanks again will check it out
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Mar 2014 08:04:24 7,493 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't claim you shouldn't go for the finish, quite the opposite is true- it isn't a sparring match. Rather, when done and you can see your work has seriously hurt someone, showing a bit of class is a good thing in my book.
  • Bahamafish 24 Mar 2014 01:57:05 379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    damn, Shogun has no killer instinct - he looked good right until he got KTFO.
  • Razz 24 Mar 2014 08:38:09 61,571 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anybody else watched the Canada Vs Australia series?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• mcmothercruncher 24 Mar 2014 20:25:27 7,493 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

That is all.
  • craigy Staff 25 Mar 2014 09:22:20 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just caught up with Fight Night 38. Shame Hendo got lucky, cos Shogun was looking sharp.
  • craigy Staff 25 Mar 2014 09:22:47 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher is that you with the Last Emperor?
  • Blakester 25 Mar 2014 09:31:22 3,651 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weidman out injured so the title fight with Machida now delayed until UFC 175.

In other news, the search goes on for Shogun's nose. Damn that looked painful!

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 25 Mar 2014 09:39:52 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think moving the Weidman fight to UFC 175 suits the Americans better anyway, cos it's 4th of July weekend.
  • mcmothercruncher 25 Mar 2014 19:25:16 7,493 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope :(
  • Page

of 181 First / Last