of 174 First / Last

• The-Bodybuilder 9 Mar 2014 15:35:49 14,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tbf, Jones is right.
  • craigy Staff 9 Mar 2014 16:08:10 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My opinion is that DC hasn't done enough at LHW yet to be considered on the same level of contendership as Gus. For all we know his first weight cut was a fluke and he can't make 205 consistently.
  • midnight_walker 9 Mar 2014 18:11:15 1,939 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Beating Patrick fucking Cummins does not put you anywhere near the title. Give DC someone like Shogun or Phil Davis, then if he gets past them maybe the loser of Glover/Jones or Rashad, THEN a title shot. Manuwa was a gimme fight for Gus but he pretty much deserves as fast a rematch with Jones as possible. I love Jon Jones but he needs to stop trying to do Joe Silva's job for him, because he comes off looking like a coward who only wants easy fights.
  • Reacher 9 Mar 2014 18:22:10 819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I disagree on this whole DC thing. I can see where other people are coming from, but the guy has legit fights, titles and was scheduled to fight Rashad Evans ( who I believe he would have pummelled anyway) and still took a fight that he didn't have to.

I have seen people given title shots for far less.

At the end of the day, all I want to see is good fights, so I want to see DC fight Jon Jones as I think it will be a good fight.
  • Reacher 9 Mar 2014 18:25:16 819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Further, I believe that DC deserves a title shot ahead of Texeira, who has less credibility as a challenger.

I am not saying Gustaffson doesn't deserve a rematch either. It's because of this that, should Jones win vs Glover, I believe DC willhave to take one more fight anyway due to time and wanting to fight 3-4 times this year.
  • midnight_walker 9 Mar 2014 18:28:38 1,939 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, he's got the chance to solidify his shot against Jones/Gus while they're having their fight. I wouldn't even be mad if he got a shot after beating someone, anyone, who was worth half a crap at lhw.
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Mar 2014 18:39:48 6,811 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Cummins fight was genuinely embarrassing for me. For Rogan too who hopefully learned there are some horrible fights he shouldn't shill without looking like a right twat afterward.
  • Reacher 9 Mar 2014 19:04:53 819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogans style has really begun to grate on me recently. I find he picks his favourite at the start of the fight and his " angle" and hammers that for up to 15 minutes regardless of the flow of the fight.

Most notable recently was the Henderson vs Thompson match up.
  • craigy Staff 9 Mar 2014 19:49:57 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @midnight_walker ooh, Davis vs DC would be an interesting matchup. I reckon Davis would light him up.

Jones might be a nice guy in private but he has a habit of making himself look bad whenever he makes comment in public. He might be the only recent champion that is notable for continually passing judgement on who they think "deserves" a matchup.
  • craigy Staff 9 Mar 2014 19:50:58 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Reacher the most annoying thing is the way him and Goldie scream "oohhhhhhh!!!" in unison whenever a half-decent strike lands.
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Mar 2014 19:53:20 6,811 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "SUPERMAN PUNCH!!"
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Mar 2014 22:54:14 14,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DC will be champ, no need to rush it.
  • andyc1980 9 Mar 2014 23:42:21 1,094 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder more than likely, just a case of who he takes it from, Jones or Gus.
  • mcmothercruncher 10 Mar 2014 08:18:03 6,811 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like Cormier a lot, happily see him as a champ, but I don't think he's faced anyone quite as rangey as either Jones or Gus.
    I see a load of looping punches just winging past their faces and a greater than usual struggle wrestling people that lanky.
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Mar 2014 08:24:46 14,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Josh Barnett is just as rangey, but even larger, stronger and a better wrestler. He got man handled.

I actually think DC would struggle more with Gus than Jones, as Gus has the better stand up.

I love DC's stand up. His natural wrestling ability has had him pick up kickboxing (not Muay Thai) quickly.
  • craigy Staff 10 Mar 2014 08:47:18 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder yeah the Barnett fight was a real showcase for DC. I was really surprised at how well he did.
  • mcmothercruncher 10 Mar 2014 20:09:40 6,811 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Barnett has the same length limbs for sure, but is miles away in terms of his plodding, grinding approach. I agree though, Cormier out wrestling someone that stocky was impressive.
  • craigy Staff 15 Mar 2014 07:35:29 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oof, Hendricks missed weight at his first attempt. I'm expecting him to run out of steam should the fight go into the championship rounds.
  • Reacher 15 Mar 2014 09:54:08 819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hendricks cuts about 50lbs before the weigh ins and has never had any cardio issues before ( however he only went 5 rounds once with GSP). It's not like Lawler is known for his great cardio either the way he swings for the fences.

I wouldn't expect it to be too much of a problem for a fighter with a wrestling base to get the rest off.

It's such a good card tonight, I can't wait. I'll probably watch it tomorrow afternoon when I have the house empty and a few tins in!
  • Deckard1 15 Mar 2014 10:08:09 27,732 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah losing 1.5 pounds in an hour shouldn't have been too difficult, and he never looks too skinny at the weight. I doubt it'll make much difference. 3rd round stoppage for Hendricks. Great card tonight, I'm looking forward to it. Fairly decent boxing card on sky at 7 as well as a warm up.

Hush you ponce

• craigy Staff 15 Mar 2014 10:26:10 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He looked awful at the weigh-ins -- never seen him looking that drawn out, and that was for the first failed weigh-in. He was visibly shaking, looked small and weak, especially in comparison to Lawler when they did their face-off.

Off the back of that I decided to go for a punt -- got 16/1 for a treble of Shields, Condit, and Lawler. Lawler is 3/1 on bet365 which is generous odds.

So pumped for the Condit fight!
  • Reacher 15 Mar 2014 12:49:25 819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    He looked awful at the weigh-ins -- never seen him looking that drawn out, and that was for the first failed weigh-in. He was visibly shaking, looked small and weak, especially in comparison to Lawler when they did their face-off.

Off the back of that I decided to go for a punt -- got 16/1 for a treble of Shields, Condit, and Lawler. Lawler is 3/1 on bet365 which is generous odds.

So pumped for the Condit fight!
    It'll never be as bad as James Irvin's attempt to make welterweight.
  • BillMurray 15 Mar 2014 23:04:50 7,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What time do the prelims start this evening? I need to start searching out a shonky stream.
  • andyc1980 15 Mar 2014 23:32:33 1,094 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @BillMurray midnight in the UK.
  • BillMurray 16 Mar 2014 00:58:17 7,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andyc1980 wrote:
    @BillMurray midnight in the UK.
    Cheers!
  • Deckard1 16 Mar 2014 09:32:58 27,732 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great fight. Amazing 5th from Hendricks. Lawler should have finished him in the 3rd though, I don't think he realised how bad he had him hurt.

Hush you ponce

• craigy Staff 16 Mar 2014 10:12:58 7,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bah, what a bag of shite.

It really annoys me that Hendricks is champion. He looked utterly lost in that fight when he realised Lawler was laughing at his left whenever it landed. He can't strike going backwards, has no combinations, shitty kicks, and barely scraped a win by getting a weak takedown late in the fifth.

I think in general it was a bad night for "martial artists" as opposed to "cage fighters". It feels like we're on our way back to a more primitive era of fighting in the welterweight division: sprawl and brawl, heaving-punching wrestler era when I see people like Hendricks, Woodley, and Lombard all finding success. Gimmie a diverse Condit, a perfectly-rounded GSP or a demigod like Matt Brown any day over these sloppy, rock 'em sock 'em sluggers.
  • The-Bodybuilder 16 Mar 2014 10:45:49 14,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty much my view, word for word there, craigy.

Luckily I don't think this current crop of welter contenders will last long.
    I think more complete martial artists will take over, specifically Gunnar Nelson and that other Chechen dude Adlan Amagov (with the beard). I think we're looking at the top 2 welter contenders there.
    Amagov is currently my fav fighter and the prototype of a new breed of complete martial artists.

Basically the Chechen invasion is gonna f*ck up a lot of the current fighters. These guys have been training from young ages and hold black belts in kickboxing type styles (karate, kyokushin...not just Muay Thai spammers), black belts in Sambo, elite wrestling and gymnastics.

I don't think Americans are gonna be too happy about Mma in the near future when guys like Amagov start to take over.
  • Deckard1 16 Mar 2014 10:55:08 27,732 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bit unfair on Hendricks to be honest. Some of his stand up was great in the first two rounds. Yeah he looked a little lost in the third and fourth, but he was badly hurt. He looked very open at times, and I'd like to see him try to counter more, but he still has a very solid stand up game.

Hush you ponce

• The-Bodybuilder 16 Mar 2014 12:03:59 14,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think his stand up is rubbish. Improved with a few combinations, but like Henderson, is a spammer of his left hand.
    I'd like the champion of arguably the most stacked division to be a much more well rounded martial artist than Hendricks, to continue the change that GSP ushered in.
  • Page

of 174 First / Last