The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 138

• Page

of 172 First / Last

• craigy Staff 23 Sep 2013 19:33:46 7,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aah yeah, forgot about Lyoto moving down. Doesn't leave much going on at LHW.

Reckon Gus will get a rematch after the Glover fight? Or does Glover now have to wait for an instant rematch to happen?

I was trying to figure out whether they'll make him win another fight to earn a second bite at Jones. If Gustafsson does get a rematch I image he would be a lot more aggressive in the opening rounds, especially now he knows he has the ability to tag Jones. He's gotta do something to negate those kicks to the front of the knee though. A sustained attack could put Jones down, especially know we've seen how much getting hit a few times fazes him.
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Sep 2013 20:15:52 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually think, unfortunately, because I really wanted to see a European champ, that Gustafsson will do less well next time. The fight just gone was his chance. Because Jackson will gameplan the FUCK out of the next fight.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Sep 2013 00:11:59 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree.
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Sep 2013 14:14:48 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's just so damn likeable, huh? ;)
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Sep 2013 14:56:53 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do think he won rounds 2 (just about), with everyone accepting 4 and 5.

The odd thing I would still give Gus round 4.
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Sep 2013 15:09:01 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, 4,5 and then round two is the debatable one and I can totally see how people argue he got that too.
    Just typical ungracious Jones, giving himself 4 rounds and then declaring on top he beat him so well that there is no need to fight again- his talent for potentially winning some more fans with a great performance, but then blowing it by letting his ego shine through is second to none. He could very easily have lost that one, he'd do well to acknowledge that.
  • craigy Staff 26 Sep 2013 16:17:09 7,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think they'll book the rematch, as they could sell the shit out of the PPV.

But it would set a bad precedent. Jones may have scraped through, but he did win the fight. Scheduling a rematch is akin to saying that it doesn't count. It does! He won!

I get instant rematches for champs that lose, especially someone dominant like Silva who got KO'd dicking around. But a challenger getting an instant rematch? It's a bit of an insult to the champ who has already beat the guy once. If it were me I'd get the impression that my employers think I can be beat, or maybe didn't deserve to win in the first place and that they were trying fix the initial "mistake" of a first fight.
  • craigy Staff 26 Sep 2013 16:19:13 7,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aah, it's moot anyway: Glover vs Jones slated for Super Bowl weekend:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/09/report-jon-jones-vs-glover-teixeira-set-for-super-bowl-weekend
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Sep 2013 17:24:49 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is what Jones is going to do to Tex's head -> :champo2:

;)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Sep 2013 17:25:47 6,654 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I keep missing these. Would have liked to catch the Jones fight.
  • craigy Staff 26 Sep 2013 17:53:57 7,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gosh, the latest episode of TUF is a joke. Ronda and her coach look like complete douchebags. Their behaviour brings martial arts into disrepute.
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Sep 2013 18:25:56 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Absolutely awful, huh? But good awful in terms of car crash TV!
    Miesha comes off, not just in comparison to Rousey, but really well anyway, I think.

Comedy moment when that yapping dog that always follows Rousey around bottled it when Dennis Hallman said, "yeah, ok, let's go now" and walked toward the octagon.

Not the best quality, but if you google "mma core" you can watch MMA reliably there bitch_tits...
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Sep 2013 18:30:17 6,654 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the tip.
  • The-Bodybuilder 1 Oct 2013 16:35:22 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Out of interest, does anyone here actually do any martial arts or MMA?

As a returner to kickboxing (kyokushin and the rarer mugendo) and also in recent years started doing BJJ (current bluebelt), I also added wrestling into my skillset as I knew it would help me be better at bjj comps, I had no intention of doing MMA beyond watching it.

However with my Sensei having his UCMMA title fight coming soon (and also heavily scouted by the UFC), I've been part of his training camp and loved it so much I've decided to have my first MMA fight next month, which will be fun.

Just wanted to know if and what everyone's experiences are with martial arts and MMA?
  • craigy Staff 1 Oct 2013 21:54:09 7,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got my black belt in karate quite young. Been casually going to a local MMA school a little over the last few years, mostly attending boxing classes. Found out there's a BJJ school near me, so was thinking of giving it a go sometime soon, but it's quite pricey.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 1 Oct 2013 22:03:26 6,654 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm a pussy tbh. respect and good luck.
  • The-Bodybuilder 1 Oct 2013 23:13:18 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha, cheers. Its odd how different my body is since the old days. Luckily, though I started as doing bodybuilding about the time I joined here, I train as an athletes so managed to keep and even enhance my athleticism. Also help I've got Jones-like extra long limbs.

You should give it a go craigy, bjj I'd s great community. Heck had a bbq with Roger (Gracie) over this weekend.
    I do struggle with bjj mentally. Just....too many moves to learn. Always feel I'm lightyears away from blackbelt.....heck I'll be content with a purple belt.
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Oct 2013 19:13:54 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got to brown belt in Karate in the last few years but then one to many shoulder dislocations started catching up with me on the big throws/trips. Was injured so much it wasn't worth it any more. I've fucked my knees/shoulders/back up doing too much risky sports when young and, now I'd like to do more martial arts, realised I've not got the capability :(

Am very keen to try kickboxing next but need to get healthy first...
  • craigy Staff 2 Oct 2013 19:39:25 7,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher damn, ageing is a heartless mother. Tai chi?
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Oct 2013 19:59:47 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol ;)
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Oct 2013 00:26:12 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's some broken body you got there.
  • mcmothercruncher 3 Oct 2013 14:43:04 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I know, everything hurts most days unfortunately. I'm "hyper mobile" meaning my connective tissue is a bit looser than most, hence more wear and tear over the years. If I'd known younger what it was I'd have been more careful.
    Oh well, I still get out and do what I can sports-wise, mostly cyclocross as it's low impact.

Missed that you've a fight coming up BB, best of luck with it, chanel your inner "Rousey" if you can ;)
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Oct 2013 16:29:09 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yup, got my mean mugface ready and will stomp around angry at anyone who smirks at my friends pain.
  • mcmothercruncher 4 Oct 2013 16:55:53 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't forget the slightly unhinged Armenians!

I wonder if Bisping Is going to fight again?
    His very recent surgery to re-attach the retina that failed after the original re-attachment surgery came undone is having problems apparently avid he's back in hospital.
    When it gets this messy I think he shouldn't ever receive more blows to that area again, but so many sportsmen have not known when to give up that carrying on and damaging your health seems to be the norm most times. Fingers crossed.
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Oct 2013 18:00:31 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah would be a big loss for UK fighters and getting mainstream interest and ticket sales in the UK.
    You need high calibre UK fighters for that (sorry, but Jimi Manuwa will get shown up against higher calibre fighters....wrestlers especially).
  • mcmothercruncher 5 Oct 2013 18:46:45 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting read on what Roger Huerta is doing these days, basically, keeping it simple in Phuket. Amazing fighter on his day, seems he struggled to live with the hype though.
    Amazing he's even upright after the upbringing he had though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 6 Oct 2013 11:11:20 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice read.
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Oct 2013 09:12:43 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thiago Silva missed weight by 3 odd pounds, still think he'll use a combination of anger at a probable cut now and years of roiding to smash Hamill.
    Erik Silva and Kim is close for me, Silva more dynamic but Kim will probably be able to lay on him enough that he gets the win.
    Jake Sheilds has said he wants to "beat Maia at his own game", unfortunately for him he isn't as good at Maia's game as Maia is. I do hope Maia has his head screwed on this time and decides not to showcase his stand up "skills" though...
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Oct 2013 10:46:09 14,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I predict a snugglefest with Maia and Shields.
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Oct 2013 12:38:54 6,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Definitely take 3 rounds of snuggling over those two "throwing down" any day!
    Bit of a risk as a main event- could be a great BJJ match or an absolutely terrible stand-up pitter pat contest.
  • Page

of 172 First / Last