The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 136

• Page

of 182 First / Last

• wogsy81 27 Aug 2013 22:58:55 755 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is anyone going UFC Manchester in October? Or thinking of going?
    Im very tempted as i would love to see Bisping fight live but damn the tickets are expensive.
    http://www.eventim.co.uk/Tickets-ufc-manchester-manchester.html?affiliate=EUK&doc=artistPages/tickets&fun=artist&action=tickets&key=1028150$3197352&jumpIn=yTix&kuid=267454&from=erdetaila

I will see how im doing come payday but i may get a couple of tickets for me and my mate. 243 quid for the floor seats is pretty darn expensive though.
  • craigy Staff 28 Aug 2013 09:17:22 7,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would love to go, but it's a bit of a mission getting to Manchester from Brighton. Will hopefully go next time they come to Lundun.
  • craigy Staff 29 Aug 2013 16:04:05 7,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kelviiiin! Nice finish last night. Same for Condit. Cowboy looked like his head wasn't in the game -- too much wake boarding?
  • mcmothercruncher 30 Aug 2013 08:22:04 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He did look off, totally, wonder if he's beginning to think about life afterwards, wake boarding, lady boarding and ropin' a few steers.

Condit for me, weirdly, doesn't look like a stereotypical fighter and doesn't look like he's got the killer instinct he so obviously has in the heat of it.
  • mcmothercruncher 30 Aug 2013 14:47:39 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, what would your walkout music be? :)

Probably The Beautiful People for me, no reason other than it makes me feel suitably charged up...

• Gartt 30 Aug 2013 15:16:19 1,847 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really enjoyable event again. Not one dud fight.
  • mcmothercruncher 31 Aug 2013 17:24:35 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • craigy Staff 31 Aug 2013 19:19:09 7,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fight night!

Predictions: Poirier by submission, Mendes by submission, Barnett by submission, Pettis by KO. Hoping for an interesting, ground-heavy card.
  • Frogofdoom 31 Aug 2013 19:37:21 1,027 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Barnett by sub, i do hope you are joking Craigy. He could win it but there is no way it will be by sub.

And i would love Pettis to win, but i think he will get wrestlefucked this time round.
  • craigy Staff 31 Aug 2013 20:05:07 7,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mir likes bottom position, Barnett has good sub defense, and likes to side choke people out for fun. It's in the realm! I expect Mir to not show up mentally, get beat fairly easily, then retire after the fight.
  • Gartt 1 Sep 2013 14:45:38 1,847 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sooo... should the ref have stopped so soon? Mir did crumple but jumped straight back up. Interesting one, it looked like a nasty little fight with all the dirty boxing.

Not sure what to make of Benson, looked like he didnt really care about losing afterwards. Mustve been the will of the almighty or something but Im sure our lord and saviour will guide him back to the belt again, as we all know how much god loves watching people kick each other in the head.
  • The-Bodybuilder 1 Sep 2013 15:30:52 14,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Please don't turn this into another "God bashing" thread like 90% of the UG threads.
    The guy doesn't even pray for a win but that him and bother fighters don't get injured. Hate on what you like, but he's actually s very decent individual who just so happens to have a lot of belief in God.

Really tired of how its just descended into disliking him not for any martial arts reason, but because he's a thiest. Hate on Jon Jones (does come off as self righteous) or even Vitor (though I doubt we can all be as gracious and forgiving if your sister was kidnapped, raped and murdered), but Benson is actually s nice guy.

Just so sick and tired of people hating on fighters for non-fight related reasons.

As for the fight? Don't think anyone expected Pettis to be THAT good. He subbed a man once seen as not only un-subbable but now also a black belt.
    Kicks we're devastating too.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 1 Sep 2013 16:43:15 2,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think anyone hates on him because he's religious, more that he bangs on about it at the end of every fight. Even at the end of this fight he gave the same old speech he gives at the end of every fight and then said 'uh... what was the question?'

We get it, he's religious, and that's fine. I just wish he'd shut up about it.
  • Gartt 1 Sep 2013 16:54:49 1,847 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey hey, relax, Im not hating on him I actually like Benson, I just find it somewhat amusing, is that allowed?
  • craigy Staff 1 Sep 2013 20:07:16 7,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bam, predicted the winner of four fights.

Barnett was ploughing through a lacklustre Mir, so no problem with the stoppage. The way he dropped from that knee made me think he had been paralysed.

There's a time and a place for invoking God, and inside the ring post fight is never the place for me. I'm spiritual, but you won't really hear me mention it, as I have some self awareness about what you say and where. The angel wing tattoos make him come across as a bit of a religious nutter, and I still think he's recklessly arrogant for the toothpick thing. And he doesn't finish fights. Happy for Showtime.
  • Gartt 1 Sep 2013 22:12:10 1,847 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does he still do the toothpick thing?
  • mcmothercruncher 1 Sep 2013 23:15:24 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    I don't think anyone hates on him because he's religious, more that he bangs on about it at the end of every fight. Even at the end of this fight he gave the same old speech he gives at the end of every fight and then said 'uh... what was the question?'

This.

"Benson, give us your thoughts on the fight"
    "As always Ladies and Gentlemen, I can do all things through Christ..."
    Points to ceiling.
    "...who strengthens me, I'll be back. What was the question?"

Be whatever you want to be, just don't relentlessly push it in people's faces. He did look a bit relieved, somewhat like Silva. Great fighter though, that class seems to be the sweet spot for athleticism while still retaining K.O. finishes. Congrats to Mr T, sorry Pettis.

Wish we'd had more of the Mir/Barnett fight. Looked like a flash knockout to me, but, given he was right back in there so quickly it felt like it needed a few more seconds to confirm it was done. Love how Barnett brings a different, old school grinding feel to modern MMA.
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Sep 2013 14:57:51 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched the Mir/Barnett fight again to look at the finish. That was a heck of a knee. Read that Mir has stated since that he chose to drop down after it to prevent another hit. Watched that sequence a few times- his legs were taken out from under him, there was no choosing in it. Furthermore, watch how his head bounces when he reaches the ground- he was out in the air as far as I can see and then, possibly, reaching the ground woke him up.
    A couple more seconds at that point, to see whether he was able to defend himself, would have best though.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Sep 2013 15:11:58 1,027 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It was a fast stoppage i think, Travis Browne looked in worse shape and then went on to win. A few more seconds would have been fairer, but thats not to say it would have made any difference to the result as i dont think it would.

Loved seeing Henderson put in his place though, thought he was going to wrestlefuck Pettis, which did seem to be his gameplan. It just didnt work :D
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Sep 2013 18:42:25 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good point, incredible for Browne to come back from an even worse position than Mir, arguably.

That ref made a questionable call earlier this month too apparently, can't find out which fight.
    Still, it's a job I wouldn't want to do.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Sep 2013 07:00:11 14,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:

Like I said, I don't see why its such a big deal to people, its IMO in the same bracket as giving thanks to his family and such.
    The only thing I noticed was how amazing of a sport he was after his loss.

My rant is just that its almost impossible these days to talk about ether Benson, Vitor or Bones without it defending to mocking their faith and TRT (though the latter is relevant) when I just wanna talk about their fights.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Sep 2013 07:07:43 14,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gartt wrote:
    Does he still do the toothpick thing?
    Nope and noticed the ref checking his mouth too to make sure.

Everyone views I guess. I just think the whole "pushing his religious views" is greatly exaggerated. I'd be pissed if he decided to make his post-match talk into a sermon and refusing to give the mic back (now that's forcing people), but he says some stuff for a grand total of 10 seconds, if that, and in the grand scheme of things its nothing.

Its like the EG main comments page. All you to do is mention "Kinect" and it sends people on a bizarre rant again and again. I'm like "really? Is it THAT big of a deal to you?" I mean having tattoo wings makes him a "Nutter"? Do I care about that relating to his fight skills?

Only person I can see that kinda should get heat is Jon Jones, as he does seem a bit insincere.

But yeah, just wanna discuss fights (or Dana being a Dick) and not it turn into mma Underground.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Sep 2013 07:11:21 14,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think Henderson can ever best Pettis either, though he took those body kicks like a man.
    Also think he suffered from "I'm not gonna get tapped, I'm a black belt" syndrome which happens to anyone who recently gets a new belt when facing a "lesser" opinion.

Would love to see Pettis vs Aldo though. Now that would be a superfight.
  • mcmothercruncher 3 Sep 2013 08:06:55 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'd like a more narrow focus than most of us would I guess, to each his own mate.
    Interest in a fighter is about more than their particular sporting prowess though, interest in sports stars nearly always is, no?

To put it another way, imagine a fighter takes the post fight interview as an opportunity to tell people to vote Republican. Theyre totally welcome to their views, but It's jarring, and it's irrelevant in that situation.
  • craigy Staff 3 Sep 2013 08:59:22 7,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Something wasn't right about Henderson from the off.

During the walk-ins and introductions I was thinking that somehow he looked smaller than in previous fights. His abs weren't as ripped as normal, shoulders not as boulderous, legs a bit thinned out. I wouldn't be surprised that he'd undergone either some sort of injury during camp, or altered his training in order to fight Pettis that made him a bit less imposing. Am I imagining that?
  • mcmothercruncher 5 Sep 2013 21:23:55 7,514 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did anyone catch TUF 18 yet?
    Decent start, although I have to confess I start to glaze over at Fight Between Two Unknown People Number 14. Won't spoil it, but thought one UK guy looked decent, full of fire and very game. Best (and most crucial) of all, actually has some take down defence ;)

Obviously the production company goes for an angle and so you've got to take it with a pinch of salt, but it looks like the thing Rousey was worried about is that she looks a bit female uber jock from the ffw edit at the end. Reckon the series could take a bit of the shine off of her over the coming weeks.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2013 22:06:04
    Man, loved Glover Teixeira's unerring one-two finish of Ryan Bader last night, incredible composure considering he had just been dropped and was getting seriously backed up. Propably one of my favourite finishes of the year.

Teixeria must be next in line for a title shot now.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Sep 2013 23:41:12 14,392 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rousey is worried TUF will make her look like a bitch because.....well, she is a bitch. Everything PR output points to so and TUF will certainly push more people against her.

And Tex's remarkable timing and precision of those shots we're immense. However I do think Bader has "humanized" his hype a bit. I'm not fully convinced he can completely stop Jones.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 6 Sep 2013 05:16:24 11,472 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote: Just so sick and tired of people hating on fighters for non-fight related reasons.
    Why? Can I only dislike a dude if he's bad at his job? Nonsense! The reason you dislike someone is almost always personal.

Maybe you're talking about respect?

I've really being enjoying the UFC fights just recently. As far as that stoppage goes, I think that it was the right call. He was out cold, and came to on the ground, but at that weight class, I think you're better off erring on the safe side.

Those guys are fucking gorillas at that weight class, but the human brain is the same size for all of them. Taking a few too many completely unprotected hits from monsters like that? Not good for the fighters long-term health, and not good for the support if there were to be a serious incident.

It's a judgment call at the end of the day, so there will always be mistakes from our perspectives, but as long as the referee is looking out for the fighters' health, the fighters can completely unleash on their opponents without having to worry about the consequences.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• craigy Staff 6 Sep 2013 08:10:11 7,774 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bader got a bit excited, didn't he? Some more composure and he could have completely detailed Glover's contendership.

The first episodes of TUF always get a bit dull towards the end. Lolled at Ronda throwing her toys out the pram at the start. Really nice to see a fighter from Brighton on the show! I've trained with her once or twice. Always laser focussed.

Also, Mir vs Overeem just announced. Loser (Mir) leaves town?
  • Page

of 182 First / Last