The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 135

• Page

of 166 First / Last

• Gartt 19 Aug 2013 13:02:38 1,734 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On a related note, i really liked the high speed camera running at normal fps that they ocassionally switched to during the event. Looked stunning in HD.
  • Baihu1983 19 Aug 2013 13:05:07 3,271 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I found it a little distracting to be honest. Like The Dark Knight Rises jumping back and forth with IMAX.
  • Razz 19 Aug 2013 13:40:27 60,749 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh dear

Anyone seen this Dana White interview regarding the Uriah Hall fight? Its quite colourful.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/ufc-boss-uriah-hall-not-a-fighter-tuf-17-finalists-next-move-uncertain

edit: updated to correct link

Edited by Razz at 13:21:56 20-08-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 19 Aug 2013 13:42:24 60,749 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree with him 100% That wasn't a fight, it was a shitty mock-WWF high five-athon. It was an awful fight to watch.

• Deckard1 19 Aug 2013 13:49:44 27,069 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't go that far, but yeah the guy obviously lacks a fighters instinct.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 14:54:53 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't got a fighter's instinct because he doesn't want to go out there and hurt his opponent with bad intentions, he's just the case that he rather loves the idea of giving the fans a great show more so than hurting, or even winning.

One thing I do gotta say is that he's timing and distance isn't that great. If a 5'7 midget can kick you with a thai kick multiple times before you can hit him with even a kick off your front leg, then you gotta questions your positioning and distance.
  • Deckard1 19 Aug 2013 14:58:43 27,069 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't got a fighter's instinct because he doesn't want to go out there and hurt his opponent with bad intentions"

I'd say thats totally fair.
  • craigy Staff 19 Aug 2013 15:28:27 7,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think a few guys get complacent when they reach the UFC, and I would say Hall is one of them.

His life-goal was probably to get in the UFC, so for him everything is rainbows now he's there. He's gotta realise that the real work is only just beginning when you get on the UFC's roster. Try and put on a show, sure -- but don't let that get in the way of winning a fight. I got that vibe from the TUF finale, where he was barely bothered to have lost, as he knew either way he was bound to get signed. Another poor performance and he's outta here.

Thinking about it, who from the recent TUF's has stuck around and done anything meaningful?
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 15:50:40 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Recent? Can't think of anyone.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 15:52:38 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    "I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't got a fighter's instinct because he doesn't want to go out there and hurt his opponent with bad intentions"

I'd say thats totally fair.

What I mean is not every fighter has the mentality to go out and hurt his opponent. This is the same for boxing too.

Doesn't mean they don't want to win. Some boxers, like Mayweather even, want to beat their opponents in the most technical way possible, to essentially show they are not on their level, they want to beat their opponents systematically.

It's not always "I wanna smash your head in".
  • wogsy81 19 Aug 2013 16:04:08 717 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I agree with what Gartt said. Them slo-mo HD shots were brilliant. It kind of reminded of a videogame at times the picture looked so clean. Well done FOX-1 on a great debut.

And me myself is not a fan of all that high-fiving bullshit when they're fighting. It really irritates me. You guys are here to entertain. Not grind out a boring win that sends the viewers to sleep.
    I tune in to the UFC because i want to see 2 guys have a gool old fashioned dust up using various martial art techniques. Dana understands this.
    I dont want to see guys high fiving, talking, winking and smiling at each other. These guys have to remember that they are in the entertainment business. If you dont entertain then you get cut from the roster no matter how good you are. See Jon Fitch as an example. He had a great record but was a lay n pray merchant who always sent people to sleep. No one is going to pay for a card that has him headlining.

As Razz said, the Hall V Howard fight was terrible to watch. And the last 5 seconds were hilarious. It was as if they both realised how much the fight sucked balls and decided to do something good to make up for it.
    One of them went with a ridiculous Paul Phoenix type somersault kick and the other responded with an equally ridiculous divebomb superman punch. Both moves failed miserably.
    Errr, its a bit late for all that entertaining stuff now guys. The fight is over and you guys stunk the place out.

It was a great card overall though and i was impressed with FOX-1's coverage.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 16:29:22 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, it wasn't a great fight. Just seemed Hall was more concerned with showing people he was a more-rounded fighter now be proceeding to go for crappy takedowns and limited floor work, when in fact he should've just kept it standing and been flashy there.
    Even more obvious as everytime they had a scuffle, Howard would come out breathing heavily, meaning if Hall had kept it standing, there's no way Howard had the engine to keep his level of attack for long.

Hall isn't a great tactician, that's for sure.

Still, the first round of McGregor is what I like to see, some actual TMA used in modern mma.
  • mcmothercruncher 19 Aug 2013 18:29:49 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's important, for me at least and I think for the UFC too, because I've watched MMA for over a decade now. Seeing the same old plod forward, rocking shoulders left and right, jab, jab, straight right stuff is the path to boredom.
    I need to see some flair, some inventiveness. Just like Silva's front kick that proved a supposedly useless bit of Karate offence was totally applicable in skilled enough hands, here's hoping he inspires a few others to mix things up too.
  • Bahamafish 19 Aug 2013 20:08:54 367 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a shame Overeem lost to be honest. We're going to see Cain vs JDS 4, 5 and 6 if things doesn't change.

Also, I really don't think he has been that cocky since coming to UFC - atleast far from as cocky as Travis Browne. He has everything to become a great HW, but he can't put things together. He should have capitalized on the situation when he had Browne hurt, knee'd his body a bit more when he was sitting down protecting his head and generally just pick his shots a bit more carefully - I think he's becoming a bit desperate.

Matt Brown was awesome. He reminds me of a young Martin Kampmann.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 23:15:11 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't understand how you can't claim he hasn't been cocky in the UFC after that mockery of a performance against bigfoot, before he got starched.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 23:17:29 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    He's important, for me at least and I think for the UFC too, because I've watched MMA for over a decade now. Seeing the same old plod forward, rocking shoulders left and right, jab, jab, straight right stuff is the path to boredom.
    I need to see some flair, some inventiveness. Just like Silva's front kick that proved a supposedly useless bit of Karate offence was totally applicable in skilled enough hands, here's hoping he inspires a few others to mix things up too.
    I agree.
    The smaller weights certainly have them in the likes of Cub Swanson, McGregor and of course Pettis, but these type of fighters are needed in the welterweight and above to actually excite the mainstream media attention...and mine.

Basically, they need to sign Galore Bofando.
  • Razz 19 Aug 2013 23:26:12 60,749 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Posted the wrong link before:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/ufc-boss-uriah-hall-not-a-fighter-tuf-17-finalists-next-move-uncertain

This is a video of Dana White basically putting the nail in the coffin of Uriah Hall's UFC career. Caustion, contains lots of swearing :D

• craigy Staff 20 Aug 2013 10:14:04 7,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTW, gameplay footage for the new UFC game is being unveiled in the EA Gamescom session this evening.
  • mcmothercruncher 20 Aug 2013 22:22:51 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Just looked him up, I haven't been following UCMMA as I've a very low tolerance for sequins.
    What an awesome, loose offense, although he leaves himself quite open at the end of some of those kicks.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 21 Aug 2013 07:24:33 11,263 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think dudebro high-fiving in the Hall fight was too much, but I do like to see it when - say - one guy just accidentally kneed a downed opponent or hit him in the nuts, or occasionally when they both go toe to toe and batter each other and then show a little respect to each other for having survived it. :)

All things in moderation.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• The-Bodybuilder 21 Aug 2013 16:19:17 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Just looked him up, I haven't been following UCMMA as I've a very low tolerance for sequins.
    What an awesome, loose offense, although he leaves himself quite open at the end of some of those kicks.
    His kicks are phenomenal and he intentionally leaves himself open as a set up to bring people in for more kicks. He recently won their K-1 title (because no one would accept his mma fights so got bored of waiting ant took a qualifier). Even BJ Penn has commented on him.
    He's the most athletically-gifted specimen I've ever known, and this is coming from someone who used to train athletes (even running up to the Olymlics and World Events).
    Was gonna show a clip of him pulling off a "reverse guile kick" in a competition (also did a dragon punch to knock out an opponent), but couldn't find it.
    Here's an old vid of some of his skills http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR0PTIFbGNo

But I'm also biased....he is my Sensei. :D
    He along with my main coach, Khalid Ismail are wasted on that scummy UCMMA. They recently turned down bellator and still waiting for UFC.

The problem is Dave the knob has strong links to the UFC, but absolutely hates both Galore and Khalid, so has no interest in bringing them through (even tried to set them up to secretly having to fight each other).
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Aug 2013 15:14:13 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    The problem is Dave the knob has strong links to the UFC, but absolutely hates both Galore and Khalid, so has no interest in bringing them through (even tried to set them up to secretly having to fight each other).
    He really does have "shady" written all over him.
    Ultimately, whatever relationship he has (or feels he has) won't mean much if the UFC see profit to be made from an exciting fighting style. Good luck to them, hope they make it.
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Aug 2013 15:20:46 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh dear, McGregor has completely torn his ACL, amongst other strains- out about 10 months post surgery.
    He has a high strain fight style to be having knee surgery so young...
  • Razz 23 Aug 2013 15:23:19 60,749 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Worth it, I must've watched that fight ten times now. Easily the best of the night for me.

• The-Bodybuilder 23 Aug 2013 19:48:28 14,052 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    He really does have "shady" written all over him.
    Ultimately, whatever relationship he has (or feels he has) won't mean much if the UFC see profit to be made from an exciting fighting style. Good luck to them, hope they make it.
    Cheers.
    And sucks for McGregor, I hate not having to see exciting fighters, especially for almost a year.
  • craigy Staff 27 Aug 2013 13:51:57 7,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fight weeeeek!

Two UFC events this week -- hopefully we'll see Henderson dethroned by Pettis on Saturday. S'gonna feel old school with Mir fighting Barnett.

Cowboy is fighting on Wednesday, as is Condit. Nice set of fights lined up.
  • Reacher 27 Aug 2013 14:00:53 687 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looks like a good week of fights. I think Barnett will smash Mir comfortably though.
  • craigy Staff 27 Aug 2013 14:07:58 7,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, I'll be rooting for Barnett, mostly cos him winning will annoy DFW.
  • mcmothercruncher 27 Aug 2013 22:24:16 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I want Pettis to win on the condition he doesn't PRAISE CHRIST afterwards.

Although, I'll miss that toothpick.

Would like to see Barnett win too, not the most exciting fighter, indeed, he really looks plodding at times, but I like the fact someone is representing old school Catch Wrestling from little old England and not far shy of 150 years ago :)
  • El_MUERkO 27 Aug 2013 22:44:45 16,949 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sucks that McGregor is injured, supposedly back boxing after 4 months, fighting in 9.

Henderson Vs. Pettis: Who does God love more?! should be fun, I think Henderson will take home the win.
  • Page

of 166 First / Last