The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 134

• Page

of 181 First / Last

• Bigsmoke 4 Aug 2013 19:26:01 43 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty Meh card, but the Machida decision by the judges was a joke!
  • craigy Staff 5 Aug 2013 09:06:26 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At least we know now that the reason Aldo looked lacklustre was because he broke his foot in the first round. Zombie's injury almost made me barf.

Machida is his own worst enemy. He needs to figure out an alternate approach when fighting someone smart enough not to bullrush him.
  • mcmothercruncher 5 Aug 2013 14:31:46 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I do love Machida- and not just because I did Shotokan for a few years- I like that he brings something different in terms of tactics to the table.
    The trouble is, like you say, if the opponent won't play his game, he needs an alternative.

There is a really fundamental issue in MMA judging at the moment for me and that is that it is heavily weighted toward Wrestling offence.
    In that fight, Davis managed to (cynically, right at the end of the rounds) take Machida down about twice. He did fuck all with that position once he'd earned it. Probably intended to do fuck all too- it was about grabbing the points.

Stack that against about 8 take down stoppages by Machida.
    Both getting and stuffing a takedown dictate where the fight goes and signal the sort of control of the Octagon the judges should be looking for and rewarding.

As it is, only one of those two actually scores points. It's ridiculous.
  • craigy Staff 5 Aug 2013 18:49:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I think I've said it in the past, but stuffing a takedown should count in terms of points as much as completing a takedown does. Both are about successfully deciding where the fight takes place.

Still, amazing the Davis has won two fights in Brazil now. Hostile place to win!
  • mcmothercruncher 12 Aug 2013 20:36:23 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is anyone else REALLY pumped to see how McGregor does this weekend?

The place is going to go absolutely mental when he comes out.

Plus, you know, we get to see whether he can possibly live up to the (largely self created) hype or not... ;)
  • El_MUERkO 12 Aug 2013 21:08:22 17,124 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher Definitely, the guy is a beast in the ring but UFC opposition is a different class. I'm hoping he lives up to the hype though :)
  • craigy Staff 13 Aug 2013 09:35:28 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Holloway is a fair test for him, but I think McGregor will thrive under the spotlight and deliver another quick stoppage.
  • mcmothercruncher 13 Aug 2013 21:32:00 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I re-watched his debut and, actually, it wasn't the steamroller job I remembered it to be. Still, he has a nice fresh style that is different enough from the norm that it'll probably take a while before he's figured out. By which time he'll have built up quite a following.
    Unless a stray punch knocks him out this weekend, such is the intrigue of MMA :)
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Aug 2013 12:51:32 14,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This card is looking like one of the most stacked of the year.
    McGregor
    Hall
    Overeem.
  • mcmothercruncher 14 Aug 2013 19:45:44 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Pickett too forgot about him, awesome fighter.
  • craigy Staff 15 Aug 2013 09:05:01 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ubereeeeeem! Hoping there will be a new episode of The Reem posted soon.

Faber's on the card too -- hopefully he can keep his current entertaining run going.

Aaargh, just remembered about Joe Lauzon!

Also really keen to see the "new" Shogun, after all the work he's been doing with Freddie Roach.

Well well well, this card might just be the best of the year.
  • mcmothercruncher 15 Aug 2013 09:20:23 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not so Ubereeeem!
    Seriously, he needs back on that horse meat after the last performance ;)

I love how Freddie Roach merrily proclaims anyone who, funnily enough, he has worked with a million times better.
  • craigy Staff 15 Aug 2013 09:28:27 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yassss! New episode of The Reem:
    https://vimeo.com/72337631
  • Gartt 15 Aug 2013 12:39:20 1,845 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UFC back on virgin \o/
  • mcmothercruncher 15 Aug 2013 16:13:49 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool, what's the deal?
  • mcmothercruncher 15 Aug 2013 16:17:48 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, for XL customers. Seeing as I've zero interest in Football, not likely to upgrade. Oh well :cry:
  • wogsy81 17 Aug 2013 23:21:00 755 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Im such a numpty.

Ive been sat here watching the UFC prelims on a shitty stream on wiziwig devastated that ESPN has gone from virgin media. I then get told of a mate on twitter that its on BT Sport HD. LOL.

Not only did BTsport broadcast the Pool game today, they also have the rights to the UFC. Im liking this BT sport channel more and more by the day.

Cmon Shogun.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Aug 2013 23:58:25 2,218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And also, ESPN is back on Virgin Media.
  • wogsy81 18 Aug 2013 00:18:12 755 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @midnight_walker
    So it is. What the fuck has been happening?
    One day it just wasn't there anymore saying "it has been removed" and now its back again. hey im not complaining. I love a bit of MLB of a night time. I got my UFC and my MLB back. I was pretty sad a couple of weeks ago and now Im a happy happy camper.
  • SFD 18 Aug 2013 00:41:57 510 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    These prelims have been better than the last few main cards.
  • wogsy81 18 Aug 2013 01:12:06 755 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Awesome card for tonight. Entertaining fighters throughout the prelims and main card. Faber, Mcgregor, Pyle, Sonnen, Overeem, Lauzon, Shogun etc etc. Its a helluva card to debut for FOX sports first broadcast.

Who you guys got for the main??

Im gonna go with Shogun Rd 2 TKO. But if it goes to the ground i fear Sonnen will destroy Rua on the ground.
    Should be a great fight i think.
  • Razz 18 Aug 2013 01:17:10 61,571 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any links to the prelim fights, they usually show them for free right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• wogsy81 18 Aug 2013 01:39:37 755 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Poor Joe got dominated there.
    Johnsosn just had too much spped for him. Poor Joes face is pretty busted but that kid jas a lot of heart. Where now for Joe Lauzon? Im not sure. He had so much promise too after doing so well on TUF back in 2007. Back to the drawing board i think.

Johnson is a beast though. That guy looked dangerous.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Aug 2013 08:19:34 2,218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @wogsy81 ESPN was bought by BT and bundled up with their own BTSport channels. They of course would rather people switch to their own network so for a while they were witheld from VM while negotiations took place to get this new package. I'm immensely surprised they were able to secure the whole shebang for free on XL, to be honest.
  • El_MUERkO 18 Aug 2013 10:21:42 17,124 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Where is Overeem's head? He'd been clipped once by that front kick but made no effort to avoid or block it.

Sonnen did well. McGregor couldn't provide the finish but a fine display of wrestling and BJJ, especially considering he popped his knee in the first.
  • craigy Staff 18 Aug 2013 15:12:46 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, my poor Reemy.

I heard an interesting theory about why he's doing so poorly in the UFC -- it's related to glove size.

Back in K1 he could afford to have a sloppier defence, as the larger gloves blocked a lot of attacks for him, and he didn't have to use as much head movement to avoid straight attacks. The smaller gloves the UFC use mean that a lot of shots get through his defence easier, and cos he's lazy with his lateral head movement he makes for an easy target. Or it could just be that his cardio sucks.

Really good card though. Happy for Faber. Didn't enjoy McDonald's weird nationalistic comments about beating an Englishman in Boston. McGregor reminded me of Diaz in his taunting, disdainful approach to his opponent (imagine a fight between them!). Most of all I'm happy that Sonnen emphatically finished Shogun. He's so respectful in his demeanour and comments post fight that he almost looks guilty to have won. He's class.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2013 23:00:59
    Overeem is far too cocky for his own good. He's fighting legit heavyweights with decent technique now who can all capitalize on his stand still and swing offense.

He got hit with the kick that knocked him out 2 or 3 times before it finished him and yet he kept just bulling forward like a tard with no attempt to block it or get his head out of the way.

I also had to laugh at Joe Rogans subconscious racism in the John Howard v. Uriah Hall fight. He just could not stop mixing the two guys up (they're both black but look nothing alike) and he got their names wrong easily a dozen times :)

Edited by spudsbuckley at 23:01:29 18-08-2013
  • mcmothercruncher 18 Aug 2013 23:18:30 7,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm glad Overeem lost and is tarnishing his record now he's fighting the best in MMA, sorry Craigy!
    He's a pumped up, cheating, lazy, egomaniacal Light Heavy fighting true heavy weights at last. I think he'll get one more go, let's hope he remembers to go for a jog a bit this time.

Sad for Pickett- the nearly-but-not-quite guy I think, always fantastic entertainment though. Good to see McGregor show a bit of ground against a savvy opponent there, if he has the aptitude for it like he has with striking then he'll clearly pick it up and possibly even innovate too longer term, that would be a sight to see. Wonder whether he's a Shotun in waiting though- there are a fair few miles on the clock already and his style is hard on the body...

I shouldn't like Sonnen, with his politics etc, but, fuck, I really like Sonnen.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 00:00:29 14,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @craigy
    I say this with all honesty, I think Dutch-style kickboxing is heavily overrated.
    Virtually all the top previous K-1 heavyweights, barring a few like Hooste, actually showed great footwork, head movement and angles especially. Dutch style (like Maui Thai tbf) isn't about movement and angles, but just covering up for defence.

And as you pointed out, that doesn't really work too well with mma gloves. Even Spong was getting clipped quite regularly in his last fight from a Boxing perspective.
    Plus he's always had terrible cardio, then with extra muscle on top, means he's all power and no conditioning.

Still, great card but everyone I wanted to win lost, except McGregor (love seeing a classic kickboxing style in the cage).

I do wonder what Uriah's future holds. Really disappointed in him so far.
  • Baihu1983 19 Aug 2013 09:24:56 3,578 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    XD Gotta love Reem getting knocked out like that.
  • Page

of 181 First / Last