The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 132

• Page

of 157 First / Last

• The-Bodybuilder 3 Jul 2013 23:07:40 13,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looking forward to the fight.
    Also looking forward to Tim Kennedy vs Roger Gracie, primarily because Roger's been training his stand up at my gym and I've been training and even sparring with him, along with my sensei being in his corner.
  • mcmothercruncher 4 Jul 2013 09:21:40 5,717 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, he's an interesting fighter, bags of potential, but sort of floating around so far, rather than front and centre as a contender. I hope your gym has rounded off a few corners!

Predict a lot of Silva kicks, think he's going to try to chop Weidman's legs out from under him to stifle those shots...
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 4 Jul 2013 09:29:35 7,386 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looking sharp?
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Jul 2013 10:29:11 13,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or knee him when he tries to go for a takedown.

Roger still needs a lot of work stand up wise, but in the short time he's been with us, he's improved dramatically especially in regards to footwork and actually using his reach (I'm amazed he can get to middleweight, he's huge). Wrestling has improved (but its always been great in fairness) with our wrestling coach, who's part of the Bulgarian wrestling coaching team.

But don't get too close to him, because his grappling and floor work is untouchable.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 4 Jul 2013 10:37:00 7,386 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of leg kicks: Riddick Bowe came back from retirement to fight... in a thai boxing match.

• The-Bodybuilder 4 Jul 2013 13:49:19 13,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I saw that when it first came out. Couldn't bare to keep watching.

Though the apparent 500k he pocketed will do him nicely.
  • Bahamafish 7 Jul 2013 05:06:36 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do Bronx needs a plan B when he's hurt, but what a fight!
  • Bahamafish 7 Jul 2013 05:33:27 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anderson got too fucking cocky. I love watching him fight, but that was just too much.
  • shooter 7 Jul 2013 05:57:50 393 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    anyone know of a stream for the post fight press conference ?
  • Bahamafish 7 Jul 2013 06:02:08 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's on facebook, but it hasn't started yet.

There's a "special GSP announcement" apparently. TUF coach or taking a break I believe.
  • Bahamafish 7 Jul 2013 06:03:30 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    or here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5nihiDAtIc
  • shooter 7 Jul 2013 06:12:46 393 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cheers mate, gonna be interesting to see what dana has to say about this plus the gsp thing must be something big, retirement ?
  • shooter 7 Jul 2013 06:15:52 393 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:

Roger still needs a lot of work stand up wise, but in the short time he's been with us, he's improved dramatically especially in regards to footwork and actually using his reach (I'm amazed he can get to middleweight, he's huge). Wrestling has improved (but its always been great in fairness) with our wrestling coach, who's part of the Bulgarian wrestling coaching team.

But don't get too close to him, because his grappling and floor work is untouchable.
    Gwan outta that, kennedy was never in trouble with him on the ground so to say he is untouchable or dont get close is a bit of a stretch
  • Bahamafish 7 Jul 2013 07:20:53 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So no big GSP announcement.. I guess they wanted him to fight Anderson Silva.

I hope Machida drops down now.

Edited by Bahamafish at 07:56:20 07-07-2013
  • Baihu1983 7 Jul 2013 07:47:24 2,836 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cocky bastard got what was coming to him.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 7 Jul 2013 11:41:39 7,386 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He done goofed up.
  • midnight_walker 7 Jul 2013 12:31:08 1,634 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    His dickhead attitude during fights was always going to catch up with him. He got exactly what he deserved by not showing respect to his opponent, which isn't too dangerous against someone who is affected by Silva's aura, but you could tell from the very start of rd 1 that Weidman wasn't scared of Silva in the way that most of his opponents are. If there is ever a rematch and Silva takes it seriously, he will win.
  • El_MUERkO 7 Jul 2013 13:33:35 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think Silva wants a rematch. Maybe a super fight with john Jones then retire.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 Jul 2013 15:21:22 11,117 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe it's schadenfreude, but I'm delighted he lost, and did it lookin' like a complete tit. How can he call himself a martial artist when he doesn't keep his hands up, parallels his feet, shows his opponent no respect, tries to dodge four punches in a to by leaning back, and doesn't even touch gloves...

I know he could have won if he had taken Weidman, the belt or the UFC even a little seriously, but he obviously has psych issues or an ego problem, or maybe the pressure finally got to him. He I'd say that he was tired.

At any rate, I'm glad he's gone. Maybe he'll be able to help other fighters out as a training partner or help usher in the next breed of young MMA athletes...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Baihu1983 7 Jul 2013 15:35:03 2,836 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wish people would stop thanking god minutes after beating the crap out of someone :lol:
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 Jul 2013 15:40:47 11,117 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, likening God to Bruce Lee? God, the all-powerful, all-knowing entity supposedly behind the creation of everything and everyone... Bruce Lee was good, but...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• The-Bodybuilder 7 Jul 2013 23:56:31 13,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    shooter wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:

Gwan outta that, kennedy was never in trouble with him on the ground so to say he is untouchable or dont get close is a bit of a stretch
    Well considering he's won every single major grappling tournament in the world and stands as the current most accomplished grappler in the world (I really doubt you've actually watched any of the grappling contests, they're rarely televised, especially outside of the US), it was a fair point (and accepted by all) before the fight.

Of course, like you, it's easy to chime in and say it AFTER the fight, not before.

As for Silva? Maia-Silva decided to show up and got knocked out.
  • The-Bodybuilder 8 Jul 2013 00:01:32 13,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really hope Machida drops down to middleweight, he'd dominate Weidman.
    I suspect Silva wouldn't mind a rematch with Weidman at light-heavyweight, don't think he's concerned with the title.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 8 Jul 2013 08:51:54 7,386 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Machida dropping would be interesting. Not sure he's gonna get another LHW shot any time soon.
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Jul 2013 22:56:59 5,717 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got back from a weekend away and watched this. I'm a bit stunned. Jesus. The King is dead, long live the King.

Yes, he was clowning around and, yes, sooner or later it was going to catch up with him, but, damn, it was working. The guy that promised he would charge forward was mesmerised by him, same as everyone else. I find it incredibly entertaining to watch.

I wonder whether that felt like a weight off of his shoulders and he's glad to be rid of it at his age.

Still, Weidman, likeable character. Change is as good as a rest, huh?
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 10 Jul 2013 09:13:32 7,386 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I get a sense that the fire has gone from Silva's belly. Maybe losing the belt will re-kindle it?

The Weidman situation to me is really similar to his series of fights with Chael. Silva underestimated his opponent and almost lost in the first fight with Chael, then in the rematch didn't fuck around and ended it early. I think a (likely) rematch with Weidman would not involve so much clowning, and would go Silva's way fairly decisively.
  • mcmothercruncher 10 Jul 2013 22:16:32 5,717 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Totally, he'll win the next one, I'd put my house on it. It's that one punch thing, and all credit to Weidman, but he isn't on Silvas level, no one is.

I almost wonder whether he's just bored in there and needs to invent new challenges for himself, like keeping his hands low or relying on head movement alone, to stay motivated, to be able to put the hours in and get up for the big night.
    You could reasonably argue he should be a better martial artist than that, but it's more about human nature than professionalism- Muhammed Ali clowned around when bored too. Do the same thing enough times, even if that's mainlining cocaine with a hooker in your lap, and it looses its shine :p
  • mcmothercruncher 10 Jul 2013 22:21:56 5,717 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In other news Roger Gracie looked really flat. Again.

He needs to focus on boxing like crazy, or just get it to the floor and be the submission killer we all know he can be. Jesus, Rhonda Roussey has horrible stand up, but fights with enough zip on the ground that its still a spectacle, something to can get fired up for.

Don't want to be too down on hi, and want to root for him as a UK based fighter, but it's like watching Bisping fight where you're just desperately hoping he'd actually knock someone the fuck out.
  • The-Bodybuilder 11 Jul 2013 00:20:15 13,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not gonna lie, I had no issues with him the in the ring, and I wasn't attacking (attacking defending).

He only had 4 weeks to work on his stand up. Nowhere near enough time. Should spend months working on it. Even working his kicks, as his range would be devastating.
  • mcmothercruncher 13 Jul 2013 15:12:35 5,717 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do hope Marloes Coenen doesn't get killed tonight. Mind you, without the roids, Maybe Cyborg won't be quite the wrecking machine of old...
  • Page

of 157 First / Last