bah, that didn't last long.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 17 Mar 2013 00:50:46 9,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mein, wow. Very impressive.
  • Bahamafish 17 Mar 2013 00:54:55 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    great fights so far. Jordan Meins submission defense is amazing. The fight could have been over within the first minutes.
  • Razz 17 Mar 2013 02:11:30 59,994 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oh cool! The weirdest guy here is British! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Bahamafish 17 Mar 2013 02:22:34 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    oh cool! The whitest guy here is British! :D
    fixed :)
  • El_MUERkO 17 Mar 2013 02:39:31 16,836 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wasn't going to stay up, and was going to be sensible.... Weak.
  • Bahamafish 17 Mar 2013 04:05:39 360 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Go Diaz!
  • El_MUERkO 17 Mar 2013 09:27:27 16,836 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Nick Ring fight put me to sleep, watched the rest of the event just now. George did what he does, can't see him having to much problems with Hendricks, in fact there's a chance for a TKO as he charges in. Glad I went to bed.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 17 Mar 2013 12:00:17 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aaaaaand STILL!!!

Whenever GSP fights I feel like I'll have a heart attack from the anxiety. Diaz says he's done with MMA... again.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 17 Mar 2013 12:07:08 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh wait, he wants a rematch:
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/17/4114568/nick-diaz-says-georges-st-pierre-hits-like-a-woman-wants-a-title
  • Blakester 17 Mar 2013 14:47:04 3,354 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The main event did nothing to change my opinion that GSP will never be in the same bracket as Anderson Silva.

He came up against a fairly flat Diaz and didn't even try and finish him. In fact it seems as though since getting the belt, he's focused more on stifling the game of his opponent than asserting his own. Takedown, side control, throw a few elbows, rinse and repeat.

I used to be a big fan but now I wouldn't pay for an event he's headlining.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deleted user 17 March 2013 15:07:36
    Yeah, I agree its difficult to put GSP in the same bracket as Anderson Silva, Georges is a super talented, world class fighter but there is a fragility about him and fuck me he is boring. As Blakester says he just stagnates his opponents now, it can be pretty and systematic but its just fucking tedious. GSP was an animal prior to the Serra defeat, that put the jeepers up him, years of grinding and jabbing ever since...erghh.

I wanted to see two more rounds of Condit/Hendricks!
  • The-Bodybuilder 17 Mar 2013 18:04:37 13,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't speak for others, but I enjoyed the main event.
    I enjoy technical fighters, and I think GSP is one of the best at it. He dominated in the ground and standing, against the apparently "super boxer" that is Diaz.
    Granted people say he didn't wanna finish, but in that entire fight, was there a moment where GSP looked like he had an opportunity to finish him, but didn't? Only argument is that he was also beating him standing, and one could argue if he kept it standing, there was a chance to really frustrate Diaz and get him to commit and finish it. Massive gamble though.

As for Hendricks? He's got nothing for GSP. That button-mash haymaker spamming antics will lead to kos-like jabs, before when he tries to commit to an aggressive knockout, gets taken down. We've seen it all before.

GSP can't take Silva though.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2013 23:23:06
    I want to see GSP lose at this stage now because he's the most boring fighter on the entire roster.

I appreciate that it's all lovely and technical but it's just ponderous shite watching him lay on some guy doing zero damage.
  • Frogofdoom 18 Mar 2013 07:46:03 801 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gsp stifles his way to another win.

I can see big rig being a problem for him though, he comes in with better wrestling and devastating ko power. GSP doesnt appear to have the best chin in the world (condit rocked him badly, serra knocked him out). Hendricks probably has the hardest single punch in mma pound for pound. Im looking forward to seeing how gsp deals with being dumped on his ass and eating some real power.

Bores the shit out of me now he does, used to be a fighter i adored.

the co main event was a real doozy though, shame he broke his hand :(
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 18 Mar 2013 09:19:43 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can see Hendricks getting the better of GSP early, but conditioning will be a problem for him over five rounds. It's gonna be tasty.

The win was classic GSP: nerve-wracking because of his worrisome lack of ability to take punishment, but simultaneously dominant. I was itching for Yves Lavigne (father of Avril?) to dock a point from Diaz when he threw a punch after the bell, just to add to his butt-hurt.

I agree with The-Bodybuilder in that there wasn't really an opportunity for GSP to go for the finish, though he did land a few really heavy elbows. That said, you sometimes have to make your own opportunities.

It's tempting to go on a rant about how contradictory and annoying Diaz is (wants to be respected as a martial artist but is flagrantly disrespectful to his opponents, which is the furthest thing from being a true martial artist there is), but hopefully we won't have to contemplate his lunacy for a while.
  • Blakester 18 Mar 2013 09:26:46 3,354 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As much as it pains me to say it, I don't see much chance for Hendricks.

The fight will most likely play out in the same way as the Josh Koscheck one where GSP stays on the outside with his jab and then shoots for the takedown. Having said that, Hendricks only needs to land that left once in 25 minutes to change the outlook of the fight, so anything is possible I guess.

At this stage though I have 0% hope that GSP will take on Anderson. I think he's too concerned with bowing out on top than tarnishing his record. Ironically, I think he'll tarnish his legacy more by ducking the fight.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Reacher 18 Mar 2013 09:29:17 542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Condit v Hendricks was a great fight, but the result was really symptomatic of the way judges award fights these days. Henrdicks does a ton of takedowns but does not advance a single one, yet Condit wins the striking, attacks off his back, gets back up after every TD and loses the fight...

It was great seeing Nick Diaz get buttfucked by GSP though.

I'd rather see Silva fight JBJ than GSP.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 18 Mar 2013 09:31:28 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Silva/JBJ would definitely be a more competitive affair.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2013 13:46:01
    I favour GSP but it will be interesting to see how his wrestling fares post ACL surgery against a national champion wrestler. One thing for sure though, if GSP does succeed with the takedown, Hendricks will have very little off his back.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Mar 2013 04:59:20 13,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GSP will succeed IMO. He waits for people to commit to a strike, before going for the takedown (counter-wrestling?) Hendricks has no technical standing ability beyond his left power, so GSP will jab him, get Hendricks to aggressively come forward for that knockout, and when he does he's gonna be taken down for another easy points decision.

As others said, we've seen this before.

In regards to wrestling to decisions? Judges should really stop giving points just for a takedown, unless it was a high impact one (like a suplex, or something similar). Unless they do something with it, it should mean nothing.

The one thing about Conduit is that I hated the fact he was happy to give up his superior range and reach just so he could keep going for a flying knee bar finish. Its what allowed Hendricks to take him down.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 14:02:56

Edited by Pepsipop at 14:09:36 21-03-2013
  • The-Bodybuilder 21 Mar 2013 20:17:22 13,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know this is a UFC thread, but keep an eye out for tonights Bellator card. Should be good.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 20:22:49
    @The-Bodybuilder where do you normally catch Bellator?
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Mar 2013 08:03:10 13,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Usually from streams found in MMA Underground, or (long shot) the next day if the fights are put up on mma-core.

British fighter Michael Page won his Bellator debut. Exciting fighter, there was a growing demand for him to fight one of my coaches, Galore Bofando (they fight the same way, and they once had an exhibition fight when Galore was world champion).

MVP is a bit of a knob, but is a very exciting and technical fighter, Silva-esque (and tbh, better in many ways). Wrestling and groundwork however will be his downfall.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 22 Mar 2013 09:23:39 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lavar Johnson released after being popped.

BTW, Joe Rogan recently had Bas Rutten on his podcast. Worth a listen!
    http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/bas-rutten
  • Page

of 157 First / Last