The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 124

• Page

of 187 First / Last

• Blakester 27 Feb 2013 12:04:23 3,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personally I'd be against my kids learning any moves that could be fatal with application. Locks I'd be less concerned about and I think they are part of the Judo syllabus.

I think my chief concern with little-uns learning MMA is that there's no natural progression gauge other than competition. At least with the traditional arts, there is the natural motivation of gradings and belts and no pressure to compete.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 27 Feb 2013 14:44:56 7,847 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah good point. The gradings really feel like a challenge, especially when you're little! Definitely character building. I shat a brick before my gradings, especially for shodan.
  • Blakester 27 Feb 2013 15:37:08 3,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Yeah good point. The gradings really feel like a challenge, especially when you're little! Definitely character building. I shat a brick before my gradings, especially for shodan.
    My Sensei used to say I shouldn't worry about failing gradings because the examiner would blame him for his poor instruction, rather than me for my poor technique.

Of course that added even more pressure and made me even more determined to represent the school well.

Respect is what martial arts teaches kids. Should be compulsory in schools.

• craigy Staff 27 Feb 2013 15:40:40 7,847 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The UK variety of martial arts, natch:
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Feb 2013 16:22:06 14,444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I too would speak against making your kids do "MMA' (gah, I hate it when people say "I do MMA"), get them to do the different arts separately, with the headings all for them. Taekwondo is awesome and a great base to jump into kickboxing in the future (will do hi, wonders). Maybe some Judo (you can try wrestling, but good luck in finding a real wrestling coach in this country) and BJJ later.

if he decides to do MMA in the future, he would be true "mixed martial artist" in the truest sense.

Then change his name to Michael Jai White.
  • craigy Staff 27 Feb 2013 16:34:08 7,847 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was hanging out with my sister and her friends the other day and she enthusiastically told them that I "do UFC". /facepalm
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Feb 2013 18:17:22 14,444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's at least better than "he does that them cagefighting innit".
  • senso-ji 27 Feb 2013 20:44:26 6,044 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know it's not UFC/MMA related, but Dutch Kickboxing and Muay Thai legend Ramon Dekkers has died aged 43

Edited by senso-ji at 20:46:22 27-02-2013
  • Blakester 28 Feb 2013 13:57:38 3,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    I know it's not UFC/MMA related, but Dutch Kickboxing and Muay Thai legend Ramon Dekkers has died aged 43
    Sad, that's no age at all.

• Bahamafish 1 Mar 2013 20:05:30 388 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not UFC, but this is impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk0G3NV9xaA

Edited by Bahamafish at 20:06:34 01-03-2013
  • Bahamafish 2 Mar 2013 07:17:18 388 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Diego Sanchez missed weight. Go Gomi!

UFC Japan has a good card, but I fear it will become a bit too grapple heavy. Main event should be good though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Mar 2013 09:13:48 14,444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a stacked card alright.
    I expect Lombard to light up Okami. Loved his recent quote;

He's gonna try and hug me, so I have to punch him.
    Talk that the UFC will end up on BT Vision. That would be super lame if that wree to happen.
  • BillMurray 3 Mar 2013 05:40:04 7,916 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    More knockouts please. I'm knackered.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Mar 2013 09:29:07 14,444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dammit, sounds like Okami snuggled Lombard to a loss. :-(
  • Bahamafish 3 Mar 2013 10:02:33 388 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Both Okami and Dong Huyn Kim were boring as fuck. I don't mind grappling, but these two are just grinding it out. I wouldn't be surprised if they get cut after their next loss.

Stann vs Wanderlei was great though. It reminded me of this fight at times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5Z-3cIMNA
  • Bahamafish 3 Mar 2013 10:19:59 388 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Edited by Bahamafish at 10:21:22 03-03-2013
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 21:35:00
    Saved the card the last two fights...how the fuck has Mark Hunt won four straight? This is the UFC and modern MMA we are talking about here. Crazy!

And Wand may be a weathered, disheveled shell of his former self but man was that winding back the years :)
  • craigy Staff 4 Mar 2013 09:07:29 7,847 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eight straight decisions! Apparently the event ties the record for most decisions in a row.

I really like Struve, but he needs to get some urgency about his game.

Stann's lost three of his last four. He won't get cut, but I reckon it's back to the undercard for him until he puts a few wins together.
  • Blakester 4 Mar 2013 09:27:54 3,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck ESPN.

Recorded the event and it cut out just before Hunt knocked out Struve and missed the main event entirely.

BTW, Struve said on twitter that one of his teeth was embedded in his mouth guard and he asked for it to be removed so he could continue only to realise his jaw was broken. Eek!

• craigy Staff 4 Mar 2013 09:31:23 7,847 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doh. The Wandy/Stann fight was crazy.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 13:17:45
    Blakester wrote:
    Fuck ESPN.

Recorded the event and it cut out just before Hunt knocked out Struve and missed the main event entirely.
    I got burned like that years ago so have since made a habbit to record the proceeding progam.

Ass was duely saved on Saturday.
  • Blakester 4 Mar 2013 13:58:29 3,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    Fuck ESPN.

I got burned like that years ago so have since made a habbit to record the proceeding progam.

Ass was duely saved on Saturday.
    I'll be doing that in a couple of weeks. GSP v Diaz is my most anticipated fight in a long time, so I won't be taking any chances.

The previews for that fight are really interesting with GSP suggesting he's been working with much better boxing coaches than Diaz. Diaz's reply is that he must be getting knocked out a hell of a lot in training if that's true.

Surely GSP isn't crazy enough to stand and trade with Diaz is he?

• SuperCoolEskimo 4 Mar 2013 14:45:49 10,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GSP trained with Freddie Roach before his Koscheck fight didn't he? Where he jabbed him to death in Montreal.
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Mar 2013 16:42:31 14,444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The whole Diaz being a great boxer is rubbish, IMO. He had a long reach, great cardio, strong chin and some great combinations, but that only makes him an average boxer. You need more than that to be deemed a great boxer.

He has zero footwork, zero head movement, and makes the cardinal boxing sin of only being able to fight in straights.

Under good coaching, it's very likely GSP could outbox him. Not that he needs to mind, he could just kick him to oblivion.

But it's likely he'll snuggle him to a decision. :-(

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 16:42:57 04-03-2013
  • craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 09:08:08 7,847 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone in the UFC who shows little more than rudimentary boxing skills gets hailed as an amazing boxer. The superlatives which get heaped on anyone who can throw a stiff jab!

I can see GSP initially standing and trading, just to see what's up -- he won't be scared of getting KO'd by Diaz's pitty-pattering, and can always go for the takedown and do some classic top control. I'm expecting GSP to go for the finish, though!
  • Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 09:18:17 1,088 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    6 out of gsp's last 7 fights have been a decision, the only stoppage was because bj's corner stopped it. Since Matt Serra knocked him out he has been scared to engage in the same way as his earlier fights. Condit rocking him changed the flow of that fight as well.

He will either be really evasive and hit and run the whole fight or try and blanket Diaz for 5 rounds.

i was such a huge gsp fan in his earlier years, now he is is more interested in not losing than entertaining.

I personally hope diaz wrecks him, but its not going to happen.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 09:19:59 1,088 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    we should get a predictions game going before each ufc on here :)
  • craigy Staff 5 Mar 2013 09:58:31 7,847 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You hope Diaz wrecks GSP? Blasphemy!
  • Frogofdoom 5 Mar 2013 10:53:30 1,088 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GSP is technically very gifted and in his early career was awesome to watch. His recent fights however have been pretty dull affairs as a whole.

Diaz brings it every fight and always has done. Been a fan of his since his early fights with lawler and the likes. Followed him right through his strikeforce career as well and he rarely has dull fights and always looks to finish
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Mar 2013 11:28:56 14,444 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Anyone in the UFC who shows little more than rudimentary boxing skills gets hailed as an amazing boxer. The superlatives which get heaped on anyone who can throw a stiff jab!

I can see GSP initially standing and trading, just to see what's up -- he won't be scared of getting KO'd by Diaz's pitty-pattering, and can always go for the takedown and do some classic top control. I'm expecting GSP to go for the finish, though!
    Yeah, I believe GSP really wants to KO him. I think GSP is somewhat irked that people think Diaz is more talented than him.
    I think his takedown will be his safety net, but I think he'ss kickbox him and make a point to show that Diaz isn't a great boxer.

Honestly the "great boxing" hype is retarded in UFC. Apparently some people have seen Rhonda work the pads a bit and throw a few rubbish jabs and now we have even DFW (the hype merchant) claiming she's got "great hands".

Pfft, ok. Whatever.
  • Page

of 187 First / Last