The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 123

• Page

of 174 First / Last

• craigy Staff 13 Feb 2013 10:00:10 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Velasquez vs. Bigfoot II and Dos Santos vs. Overeem both scheduled for UFC 160 in May. Boom.
  • midnight_walker 13 Feb 2013 10:37:41 1,947 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JDS Cain III for Christmas/New Year then.
  • craigy Staff 13 Feb 2013 10:38:57 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You mean Cain vs. Overeem :D
  • midnight_walker 13 Feb 2013 10:41:36 1,947 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure I agree with JDS Overeem in the first place. I mean, AO gets KTFO by Bigfoot and then gets a step up in competition, and presumably a title shot with a W - potentially against the guy he just got mauled by? That's not how it's supposed to work.

Edited by midnight_walker at 10:44:43 13-02-2013
  • craigy Staff 13 Feb 2013 11:16:41 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think that Overeem is being gifted a step up in competition, but it's more that there aren't really any viable fights for Dos Santos other than Overeem at this point. Maybe Silva, but then that would leave Overeem without an opponent. He'd walk through people like Struve, Nelson, Hunt, etc.
  • El_MUERkO 16 Feb 2013 17:40:57 16,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UFC in London tonight. Prelims started on Facebook now https://www.facebook.com/UFC/app_247211121995467

Main event starts at 8pm on ESPN :D
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 17:42:52
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Did some scratching around, it would appear ESPN lost its Premier League Football rights to BT last August. As of next season BT will be screening 38 of the 'best' games apprently.

Not sure where that puts the UFC but its certainly puts ESPN's UK presence in question.
    To follow up on this, apprently Lorenzo Fertitta is over in the UK to smooth over a deal with Sky.
  • El_MUERkO 16 Feb 2013 17:49:38 16,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The UFC definitely want a Sky deal but they are meeting with several channels.

If ESPN want to stay in the UK they'll need to do something big, going free-to-air and the UFC as a centrepiece is a possibility.

My concern with a Sky deal would be over rumours they want to have a bigger say in production. Frankly their production would probably suck balls with retarded boxing old-boys dribbling incoherently into the mic and a layer for wide-boy bullshit over everything.
  • wogsy81 24 Feb 2013 05:39:08 719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well that was a so-so card.

Highlight of the night was undoubtedly the chick fight Rousey vs. Carmouche. Most definitely fight of the night in my humble opinion.

The Machida vs Hendo fight was fucking shit. Basically Machida running round in circles for 3 rounds getting some counter attacks in. That fight stunk the place out. The crowd let them know it at the end :)

Anyways, tonight was about history in the making. The first and most definitely not the last female fight we see in the UFC.

Good job girls.
  • Bahamafish 24 Feb 2013 12:19:22 368 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote:

Highlight of the night was undoubtedly the chick fight Rousey vs. Carmouche. Most definitely fight of the night in my humble opinion.
    did you watch the prelims? Dennis Bermudez vs Matt Grice was amazing.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 24 Feb 2013 13:57:24 9,788 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure was. Great fight.

It looks like ESPN are switching off and leaving the UK market completely so I am sure they won't be in the mix for UFC rights. Sky Sports all the way IMO. I think we'll be paying for PPV's before the end of this year.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 15:14:26
    Bahamafish wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:

Did y'all miss Uriah Fabers standing RNC?
  • wogsy81 24 Feb 2013 16:31:04 719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Bahamafish wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:

Did y'all miss Uriah Fabers standing RNC?
    Yup, i seen the prelims and Bermudez vs grice was a beast fight. But i decided to give it to the ladies just for rescuing the main card from totaly shitness. But yeahh, now that im actually awake and watched it again ill admit Bermudez vs Grice was a better fight all round no doubt.

And that standing RNC from Faber was awesome no doubt. I loved the way he raised his arms in victory while he was still latched onto the guys waist with his legs. It looked pretty damn cool.
    Faber looked very good last night no doubt. Ive always loved watching Faber fight.

But i think last night was all about the ladies.
    Dana needs to start stacking this division now as womens mma has just took a massive step forward overnight. I was very impressed.

We nearly got a bit of boob spillage too. Which is always a bonus in my book.

Anyways, how good does the card for ufc 158 look. Any card with Carlos Condit, GSP and Nick Diaz on it is a good card in my book. Condit is one of my favourite ever fighters and Diaz always brings it. I can't wait for that one.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 17:38:30
    wogsy81 wrote:
    We nearly got a bit of boob spillage too. Which is always a bonus in my book.
    Yeah, i found myself praying that they didn't fall out though because it would have rather badly hurt the legitimacy of the whole thing and made it a bit "foxy-boxing"-ish.

Would have been nice to see but an utter disaster from a sporting point of view.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Feb 2013 20:50:13 14,147 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I only care of Rousey loses tbh.
    Maybe Eurosport will come in for the UFC. :p
  • craigy Staff 25 Feb 2013 10:12:54 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wogsy81, you're crazy -- how was the main card shitness? Machida/Hendo was bad, but the McGee fight was incredible, Lawler turned a really competitive fight on its head with one punch, and Faber finished with a great standing RNC.

The undercard was full of great fights. Loved Chiesa's piston jab. What did everyone think of Schaub's approach to fighting Johnson? It sure pissed the crowd off, but you'd be mad to stand and trade with Lavar. He probably should have been stood up quicker, because he couldn't pass at all. And the damage Lavar did from the bottom!
  • Blakester 25 Feb 2013 12:24:10 3,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought it was a fairly average card overall, but then that's more of the norm these days anyway.

I was most interested to see Robbie Lawler back in the UFC, but the fight finished prematurely in my view so I'm not sure how much we actually learned about his chances in the division.

As a karate practitioner, I'm always intrigued to see Machida fight, especially because of the way he utilises his stance to such great effect. The fight was a bit of a snoozer, but expecting him to engage in a slug-fest with a fairly one-dimensional fighter like Henderson is absurd.

The talk of ESPN pulling out of broadcasting the events is an interesting one. At the moment I can just about justify the extra monthly subscription, but if Sky pick it up and move to a PPV model, I doubt I'll ever pay for an event.

Still, next months card looks like a belter on paper.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 25 Feb 2013 12:29:26 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm surprised there aren't more fighters with a Karate base in the UFC, especially at the lighter weight classes.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 25 Feb 2013 13:13:39 9,788 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BT announce they are buying the ESPN channel and taking over the rights to numerous sports. No mention of UFC in the announcement though which suggests nothing has been finalised yet.

http://bit.ly/XW9zvx
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Feb 2013 12:55:46 14,147 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I'm surprised there aren't more fighters with a Karate base in the UFC, especially at the lighter weight classes.
    Same.
    I know current MMA are very anti TMA (Traditional Martial Arts), but IMO, I think a lot of some TMA methods will transfer over modern MMA.
    I personally feel Muai Thai is way overrated as the "only" striking art to use in MMA.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 27 Feb 2013 07:40:23 11,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fights like Hendo's and Machida's are boring because of both parties. It's up to one of them to actually be able to punch or kick the other guy, EVEN IF he is running away all the time. Going forwards is faster than going backwards right?

So Machida's fights are kinda boring, but Hendo still has a responsibility to make something happen.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• midnight_walker 27 Feb 2013 09:23:46 1,947 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Fights like Hendo's and Machida's are boring because of both parties. It's up to one of them to actually be able to punch or kick the other guy, EVEN IF he is running away all the time. Going forwards is faster than going backwards right?

So Machida's fights are kinda boring, but Hendo still has a responsibility to make something happen.
    You say that, but look what happened to Ryan Bader.

Edited by midnight_walker at 09:26:12 27-02-2013
  • craigy Staff 27 Feb 2013 09:33:53 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Word is that Hendo was injured. If that fight was a five-rounder we may have seen more action.
  • Blakester 27 Feb 2013 09:49:10 3,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Same.
    I know current MMA are very anti TMA (Traditional Martial Arts), but IMO, I think a lot of some TMA methods will transfer over modern MMA.
    I personally feel Muai Thai is way overrated as the "only" striking art to use in MMA.
    I agree, both Machida and GSP have shown how many of the techniques can be successfully applied in the octagon.

What Karate teaches you is the importance of striking the enemy with speed and precision, using their body movement to gauge the perfect timing. Overlaying grappling and jiujitsu is a formidable combination in my view.

Machida may be in a fair few snoozefests, but I think that's often because his style confuses his opponent into cautiousness. I must admit though that some of his knockout wins are a wonder to behold, purely from a timing perspective.

• The-Bodybuilder 27 Feb 2013 09:53:41 14,147 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fully agree. I love watching Machida. I still think there are very few World Class strikers even in the UFC.
  • craigy Staff 27 Feb 2013 10:10:19 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gotta love the karate guys -- the difference in timing and speed is amazing to behold.

I don't really lay much blame on Machida for the fight: it was just a bad stylistic matchup. He was cautious of Hendo's right hand, and Hendo was cautious about rushing in because of Machida's countering skills. They were both right to be cautious for their own sake. S'just the way it goes. Schaub's getting a lot of stick for similar reasons. As if you'd be dumb enough to stand and trade with Lavar!
  • Blakester 27 Feb 2013 10:35:54 3,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Old-ish article here that sums it up quite nicely.

My son is about to start Taekwondo lessons (at 5, he's far too young for the discipline of karate), so I'm interested to see the kicking techniques that Pettis uses to such good effect.

• craigy Staff 27 Feb 2013 11:08:27 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aah nice! I started karate at 5, but never liked the look of Taekwondo. Whenever I watch people spar they only ever seemed to throw kicks. Are there punches?
  • Blakester 27 Feb 2013 11:26:29 3,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it's a kick-heavy martial art, but seems good for kids as from what I'm told it's more about flexibility and exercise than discipline and power.

• craigy Staff 27 Feb 2013 11:55:14 7,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pretty sure my local MMA place has kids classes these days: fancy putting the kid in one of them when he gets a bit older? Not sure how I feel about kids learning stuff like chokes and arm-locks.
  • Page

of 174 First / Last