The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 121

• Page

of 171 First / Last

• craigy Staff 31 Dec 2012 12:00:33 7,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very odd card. I never know whether to be disappointed or pleased when so many fights go the distance.

- Leben looked terrible. Tired halfway through the first.
    - Feel bad for Boetsch. Broken hand, eye poke, and blood in the eyes.
    - Pickett needs to learn to get tagged less.
    - JDS looked completely stunned and bewildered. His sad little face whilst sitting on his stool between rounds four and five broke my heart. Steely performance by Cain.
    - Anyone else think the co-main should have been a five-round fight? Can't believe Lauzon kept coming. That last-ditch submission attempt had me jumping on my feet!
    - I didn't see the Garcia fight, but I see he lost. Again. Five losses in six fights, but still won't get cut? If you stretch his record to his last ten fights he's 3-1-6. Not great.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Dec 2012 12:46:24 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jds got a real pasting. I think the mainstream in society tolerate boxing to a greater degree because they never seem to let fights result in faces like his.

Great fight though, Cain is a beast.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Dec 2012 12:54:02 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That said, I don't see him as the dominating equilibrium that the other divisions have reached with their respective champions.
  • Bahamafish 1 Jan 2013 17:05:37 367 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Boetsch didn't have a broken hand apparently.

Werdum is possibly the hardest matchup for Cain right now. I hope he gets a title shot if Overeem loses.
  • El_MUERkO 1 Jan 2013 17:17:03 16,970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JDS got smashed and concussed in the first, he'd lost then, it was a matter of time, the only reason to continue fighting was in the hope of a lucky shot.

Cain Vs. JDS 3 could easily go like the first or second fight and people (not you lot) writing off JDS are fucking idiots. The heavyweight division is more of a lottery, get tagged by a good fighter and there's very little chance of a comeback.
  • craigy Staff 2 Jan 2013 09:13:25 7,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, just looking at how few defences holders of the heavyweight title make shows how much of a pot-luck division it is.
  • Blakester 2 Jan 2013 14:06:55 3,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed the last two fights of the card, but the rest was pretty much forgettable.

I've been steadily losing interest in the UFC and I think it's for two key reasons. Firstly, there just aren't enough fighters on their roster with unique styles anymore, and most of the young up-and-comers look like GSP prototypes. Anyone that has anything remotely like a traditional martial arts style is usually wrestled out of contention and I just find it painfully dull. I know it's effective, but it doesn't mean it's fun to watch.

Secondly, Dana White.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Shikasama 2 Jan 2013 14:20:01 6,700 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    See I'm a big fan of technical fights but I agree with you to an extent Blakester.

The referees don't seperate fighters enough. Anywhere NEAR enough. I think it is difficult for a fan to understand just how hard it is to get a guy off you who doesn't want to let you up and wrestling is used far too often as a stalling strategy or a cheap points winner.

If you aren't actively working to change your position or attempt a submission you should be stood up. These little love taps don't do anything and should not be enough to classify a fighter as 'busy'.

Likewise, takedowns that don't lead to a dominant position (side, mount, submission) within a reasonable timeframe of 20/30 seconds shouldn't be scored. As a Jiu-Jitsu practitioner myself a takedown has two aspects to be successful - the takedown and the following submission attempt/dominant permission. It's absurd that so many fighters can just use their physicality/ability to cut weight to just knock smaller fighters over and lay on them for 2/3 minutes before being stood up.

Sorry for the rant, this has been a massive bug bear with me for years.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 15:24:47
    Blakester wrote:
    I enjoyed the last two fights of the card, but the rest was pretty much forgettable.

I've been steadily losing interest in the UFC and I think it's for two key reasons. Firstly, there just aren't enough fighters on their roster with unique styles anymore, and most of the young up-and-comers look like GSP prototypes. Anyone that has anything remotely like a traditional martial arts style is usually wrestled out of contention and I just find it painfully dull. I know it's effective, but it doesn't mean it's fun to watch.

Secondly, Dana White.
    I agree completely that most new guys are pretty much identical as far as skillsets go but with this sport it's only a matter of time before someone finds a way to counter it successfully and the whole game will evolve again.

That's the beauty of it.

Dana is a bit of a blowhard but he keeps getting egg on his face so it's entertaining("women will never fight in the UFC" - Rousey becomes a huge deal and is headlining an event in the next few months, the fact that most of the guys he bigs up get beaten in their next fight). Plus he's a ruthless businessman who just keeps growing the UFC and simply buying the competition.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 18:04:37
    I still miss Pride :'(
  • craigy Staff 15 Jan 2013 09:11:38 7,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone watch the final Strikeforce card? It had a strange atmosphere.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Jan 2013 07:07:54 11,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it was a bit weird wasn't it. I Have NEVER seen a leg so fucked up after leg kicks. I don't know how he stayed standing to be honest... Brutal!

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• thenastypasty 20 Jan 2013 10:49:11 5,180 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone watch the fights last night? I completely forgot about it!
  • craigy Staff 20 Jan 2013 11:18:53 7,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep. Bit of a bummer. Belfort looked chock full of testosterone. Exemption ahoy!
  • Reacher 20 Jan 2013 11:41:41 778 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yet again Bisping falls at the last hurdle to a title shot. I'm not sure what he was thinking of when he stood in front of Belfort and dropping his hands. Almost as bad as when he circled in to Hendo's right hand in that fight.
  • Blakester 21 Jan 2013 11:39:38 3,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Yep. Bit of a bummer. Belfort looked chock full of testosterone. Exemption ahoy!
    A lot of suspicion about how ripped Belfort looked and how his outburst after the fight seemed 'fuelled'.

What's interesting is what will happen if indeed he does test positive. Seems Anderson Silva was very keen to fight Bisping, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he still gets his shot.

• Shikasama 21 Jan 2013 11:51:52 6,700 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bisping is always going to struggle against the likes of Belfort who is significantly bigger than him.

He is one of, if not the best' technical strikers in the UFC. His movement and striking is absolutely beautiful to watch at times but he'll never win the title because he lacks the knockout power to turn his combinations into something deadly.

I've also thought for a while that he lacks a 'killer instinct' a lot of the brazillian and muay thai fighters have. He is so technical and focused on coming in and out, I feel like he often misses opportunities to finish because he can't 'let go'. This was really apparent in the Silva and Miller fights.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 23 Jan 2013 02:43:15 9,754 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good first Ep of TUF. Very impressed by Luke from Cambridge!
  • Telepathic.Geometry 23 Jan 2013 02:48:27 11,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that Bisping is a guy who looks spectacular against low to mid level guys, and then just wilts when up against serious competition. He seems to lack a killer weapon, like knock-out power, or dangerous ju-jitsu.

Even his famous cardio isn't used nearly enough. You'd think that he'd try to swarm his opponents and out-work them until they're really tired and then fuck them up, but, he doesn't.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• craigy Staff 28 Jan 2013 09:10:49 7,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, I did not expect Cerrone to be steamrolled by Pettis like that.
  • Blakester 28 Jan 2013 09:30:36 3,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Wow, I did not expect Cerrone to be steamrolled by Pettis like that.
    That's the first time I've seen Pettis fight and boy was I impressed. Having said that, Cerrone didn't look right to me from the start.

The main event was good, especially the way DJ turned on the pressure in the championship rounds. That guy's cardio is insane!

• Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 09:48:51 6,700 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cerrone is so frustrating. Sometimes he looks like the most devastating striker in the division and then others he completely locks up and is basically a (slightly) mobile heavy bag.

Good win for Pettis though. Hasn't really impressed me in his early UFC fights but that was a lot more like the Showtime we used to watch.
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 09:49:41 6,700 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I also thought that Dodson completely missed his chance. A little more aggression in the second and third rounds could have seen him finish DJ.
  • Blakester 28 Jan 2013 10:32:57 3,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I also thought that Dodson completely missed his chance. A little more aggression in the second and third rounds could have seen him finish DJ.
    Agreed, I think he gave him far too much respect which allowed him the time to recover from the knockdown.

• Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 10:59:48 6,700 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know if it is a case of confirmation bias or I am just more alert to it, but fighters not going in for a finish when the opportunity arises is becoming a bit of a bug bear of mine.

There's my comments about Bisping above, but on the last card there was the obvious case of Dodson, also Glover and Krauss both seemed to pass up KO opportunities.

I know it's difficult because you don't want to make a mistake but it makes you wonder what fighters are prioritizing.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 28 Jan 2013 14:57:01 9,754 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Koch went for the finish on Lamas slip and it cost him the fight.
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 15:02:30 6,700 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's always a risk that you might slip, it's a risk I'd take over going to the scorecard. Quite aside from the other benefits of finishing your fights and getting the crowd on your side.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Feb 2013 01:25:05 9,754 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Should be a great night of fights, excellent card on paper.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Feb 2013 04:11:05 9,754 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maia would give GSP a really tough fight at WW.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Feb 2013 04:30:58 9,754 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HOLY FUCKING SHIIIIITTTTT!!!
  • Page

of 171 First / Last