Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WHAT A FUCKING FIGHT!
  • buggrit 18 Nov 2012 08:15:06 5,178 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    WHAT A FUCKING FIGHT!
    This! One of the best fights I've ever seen, just ridiculous!
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 14:43:03
    I know GSP is great and really effective but by Christ are his fights boring as fuck.

Literally 5 rounds of him laying on Condit with zero chance of him actually finishing him. Condit could have beaten him if he'd actually done something when he fucked him up with the headkick. GSP was wobbling all over the shop and nearly fell over the ref because he was so out of it and Carlos just kind of stood in front of him and then got taken down yet again.

They even needed a little picture-in-picture box of Silva sitting watching the fight in the corner to make it even vaguely compelling. GSP wouldn't even sort of commit to fighting Silva in the post-fight interview either. Suppose he's not done laying on outclassed cans yet.

Edited by spudsbuckley at 14:44:42 18-11-2012
  • The-Bodybuilder 18 Nov 2012 15:38:10 13,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No way you can say that fight was boring.
    To call Condit an "outclassed can" is, quite frankly ridiculous. GSP handled him standing. Granted wrestling can be a bit boring at times if the fighter can't finish, but it wasn't without trying from GSP and is more a testament to Condit's heart more than anything.

And why the hell should GSP commit to Anderson? What makes anyone think he even wants it? IMO, he still wants to beat Nick Diaz's ass to oblivion.

Boring, fun as it may be to compete in, can be very boring. In fact I say the main cause for the decline in quality fights these days is that so many new fighters are wrestling-based, which is boring as heck. However since GSP is the best wrestler in the UFC, it wold be quite frankly irresponsible to not use the ability.

I actually enjoy his transition from striking to takedown, especially when he got Condit's roundhouse and used it for the takedown.
    It's the ground where it gets boring, if the person hasn't got great submission-wrestling ability or BJJ skills.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Nov 2012 15:58:22 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow; just watched this, GSP was in a fight for the first time in a while.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Nov 2012 15:59:38 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Think Anderson would destroy him though. Only just got ESPN back so I haven't got a clue who most of the fighters are anymore.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 18 Nov 2012 17:03:54 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amazing fight. So happy that GSP not only won, but won after being tested by a legitimate threat.

It's not fair to say that GSP's fights are boring -- I was screaming my head off during the fight! I got a lot out of his return to the cage.

During the fight he continually tried to pass (but couldn't due to Condit's defensive work), and when he did manage to pass, looked to open up with elbows, and tried to take Condit's back at one point. He also got the best of the standup and landed several big strikes, which is no mean feat considering Condit has very dangerous Muay Thai.

Also I don't blame him for being non-committal to a fight with Silva. There are still several interesting fights left for him in the welterweight division:

- Nick Diaz
    - A rematch with Condit
    - Rory MacDonald
    - Obviously Hendricks after that KO victory. That fight could be especially tough: Hendricks is a good wrestler who could mitigate GSP's ground game, and would also give him trouble during standup exchanges.
    - And my personal favourite, fellow Brightonian John Hathaway :D
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Nov 2012 17:15:48 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Last time I paid attention to MMA sites, the rhetoric was Jones versus Anderson.

But yeah, sport is about winning, can't blame any fighter for wanting to win on the ground like GSP usually does..

From my limited knowledge dominating on top, on the ground is much less of a risk to the victory.

if you don't like it, become chuck liddell and defend.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 18 Nov 2012 17:48:22 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, I'm a lot more interested in seeing Jones fight Silva -- I reckon it'd be a closer fight, but both the UFC and Silva seem determined to make the GSP fight happen.

You can understand Silva's position: why wouldn't he want to fight a smaller guy? He has the advantage in every department: height (four inches), reach (two inches), and weight (around thirty pounds) to the point where I'm not sure it's a fair fight for GSP.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Nov 2012 17:57:04 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah true. If anderson is the mma genius that people believe him to be, he needs to prove it by fighting a bigger man.

The knockout against forrest griffin was a demonstration that technique trumps physicality, which is the cornerstone philosophy of martial arts
  • SuperCoolEskimo 18 Nov 2012 23:17:41 9,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would much rather see GSP fight Diaz, Hendricks, and a Condit rematch. Silva is way too big for him and it would be a no contest.

Thing is, Dana over the past year or so has (stupidly) pretty much promised it'll happen. After the fight last night he said he's looking to make it happen in May, and Silva said he's fine with it, so it's over to GSP. I hope he has the conviction to say no and to take on aforementioned trio.

Diaz tweeted last night that he wasn't impressed with GSP btw.
  • Deleted user 19 November 2012 01:11:11
    Based on last night, either Diaz or Hendricks would fucking murder GSP.

The one decent strike landed on him almost finished him and it was just Condits stupidity and hesitancy that saved him.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 19 Nov 2012 08:49:00 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think if (when?) GPS fights Diaz it'll go the same way as the Condit fight: GSP will stand with him, but nail the takedown when he needs to, and smother Diaz to a decision. Diaz will promptly throw his toys out the pram and say he's quitting. Again.

Hendricks could realistically negate GSP's takedowns and wrestling and flash KO him on the feet. That would be crayzay.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Nov 2012 10:46:27 13,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Diaz will murder GSP? HAHAHAHAHAHA.
    GSP is built to murder Diaz. Diaz is s limited boxer (anyone that says he's a great boxer knows nothing about boxing. The dude's got limited footwork and head movement, just great cardio), no kicks and no takedown defence against GSP, a man with better boxing, karate kicks oh and arguably the best wrestler in the UFC.

At best for Diaz, it goes the distance and loses on points. At worst? Ground and pound till he,s a bloody mess.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 20 Nov 2012 08:54:26 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gotta agree, Diaz will crumble against George. I'd say his only way of winning would be to catch GSP in a lucky sub from the bottom, as that's where he'll end up for the majority of the fight. And then cry like a baby because people are learning not to engage in the way he wants them to.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 20 Nov 2012 08:56:08 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTW, what did everyone make of the Sakara disqualification? I thought it was fair -- who knows if Cote would have recovered and got the single leg if it weren't for the six or seven hammerfists he was nailed with. One of them landed right on the top of Cote's spine, which really made me wince.
  • midnight_walker 20 Nov 2012 10:35:53 1,638 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It should never have been allowed to go that far. Dan should have stepped in or at the very least shouted a warning to avoid the back of the head. It possibly should have been ruled a no contest.
  • FalseAlibi 20 Nov 2012 21:06:59 89 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My stupid TiVO decided to skip recording the live event and get the repeat instead. Just watched it - great night of fights! And I was really on tenderhooks during the GSP Condit fight. Both great fighters, but I'm glad GSP won - and that he had some of his old skool "Rush" about him!

I reckon the match-ups at welterweight are more interesting that a super fight that's a bit of a lose lose or big risk for both fighters - apart from the payday for that one fight of course.

And for what it's worth I think Diaz is a fine boxer as his pre-Queensbury style fisticuffs is better suited to MMA than comtemporary boxing. Though unlike Hendricks - I don't think his style's a threat to Georges.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 21 Nov 2012 13:40:48 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's a cringeworthy, rock 'em sock 'em fight:

• Deleted user 6 December 2012 20:09:34
    A big event this weekend lads, really hoping BJ and Shogun can roll back the years :)
  • Lemon-lime 6 Dec 2012 21:13:53 1 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It is looking almost too good... Let's just hope no one gets injured or arrested in the meantime. ;) I'm usually rooting for Shogun, this time however, it's got to be Gustafsson.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 22:13:00
    Womens MMA arrives in the UFC!

Ronda Rousey v Liz Carmouche is your main event for UFC 157.

Rousey automatically becomes the UFCs first female champion as a result.

Carmouche becomes the first openly gay fighter in UFC history.

Edited by spudsbuckley at 22:15:05 06-12-2012

Edited by spudsbuckley at 22:36:51 06-12-2012
  • The-Bodybuilder 7 Dec 2012 08:47:36 13,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ronda just given the title.
    Dana is a joke. Head-over-heels infatuated with Rhonda.

Really hope there's a woman out there ready to crush her (Cyborg's not a woman).
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 7 Dec 2012 09:33:16 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Big weekend indeed!

I can't see BJ winning. Hard to decide about Shogun, as he's so cagey and speaks so little that you can't tell what's going on in his head.

Predictions:
    Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz (Henderson via flying knee KO)
    Maurício Rua vs. Alexander Gustafsson (Gustafsson via TKO)
    B.J. Penn vs. Rory MacDonald (MacDonald by GNP TKO)
    Mike Swick vs. Matt Brown (Brown by split decision)

I'm really curious to see Siver fight Nam Phan. Think Siver will score a flash KO.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 10 Dec 2012 00:26:55 11,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty good fights all round, but my impression of the BJ Penn fight was BJ should stay retired, Rory should have finished him off quicker, and Rory is kind of an asshole.

Also, I was real sorry to see Swick get beat. :(

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 10 Dec 2012 09:05:03 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm happy cos I called the winner of all four main event fights (though not the method)!

The undercard was spectacular. Did anyone see Trujillo destroy LeVesseur with knees on the ground? That guy is a scary, stacked dude considering he's only a lightweight. Siver also looked spectacular, but then again he was fighting a short-notice opponent.

BJ should retire. Watching Rory toy with him and not putting him out of his misery was kinda sad to watch.
  • Blakester 10 Dec 2012 10:46:51 3,357 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I'm happy cos I called the winner of all four main event fights (though not the method)!

The undercard was spectacular. Did anyone see Trujillo destroy LeVesseur with knees on the ground? That guy is a scary, stacked dude considering he's only a lightweight. Siver also looked spectacular, but then again he was fighting a short-notice opponent.

BJ should retire. Watching Rory toy with him and not putting him out of his misery was kinda sad to watch.
    BJ's team should have thrown in the towel after the second round, but they're just a bunch of 'yes' men or 'cheerleaders' as Joe Rogan brilliantly called them. The reason BJ will never be remembered as a great is because he let his ego get the better of him, and bought into the prodigy nickname, thinking he could get by on natural talent over hard work. He'll probably retire for a year and then come back again when he thinks he's not getting enough respect.

The main event was a bit of a let-down, mainly because Henderson won in the way that pretty much everyone thought he would. Nate's eye looked horrible in the post-fight press conference.

There's also a lot of talk about Henderson having his toothpick in his mouth the entire fight. He admitted it in the press conference, but the UFC brass then claimed it was a joke. Utterly bizarre habit.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• The-Bodybuilder 10 Dec 2012 18:12:02 13,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Evidence shows he's done it before.
  • Blakester 13 Dec 2012 14:15:40 3,357 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GSP v Diaz and Condit v MacDonald virtually confirmed for March.

Seems GSP has resisted the pressure to fight Silva, instead asking for Diaz. Seems incredibly harsh on Hendricks though.

As for Condit and MacDonald, I think it being a 3-round fight potentially plays into the latter's hands. I don't believe MacDonald has the cardio to keep up over 5, but he'll need to push for the finish in the first two.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 13 Dec 2012 15:23:27 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Double win for Tri-star, IMO. I re-watched the first MacDonald/Condit fight yesterday. They both look so young!
  • Page

of 157 First / Last