The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 118

• Page

of 181 First / Last

• Blakester 25 Sep 2012 11:39:26 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another weight division would destroy the UFC. They struggle enough as it is to manage the huge roster of fighters and stupidly frequent events.

Talking of events, the Nottingham card is horrific. No wonder they were promoting the shit out of tickets sales in the ad breaks of 152.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 25 Sep 2012 11:51:40 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aww, it's not so bad. You'll get to see Sass submit Wiman: Miocic KO Struve, and hopefully Mills will do the same to Ludwig. Brad Pickett's last three of four fights have won fight of the night too, so it should be a decent card!
  • Blakester 25 Sep 2012 11:55:16 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Aww, it's not so bad. You'll get to see Sass submit Wiman: Miocic KO Struve, and hopefully Mills will do the same to Ludwig. Brad Pickett's last three of four fights have won fight of the night too, so it should be a decent card!
    Dana White will be in touch, they need all the positive PR they can get at the moment. :lol:

Probably for the best they don't release PPV numbers.

• The-Bodybuilder 26 Sep 2012 05:09:17 14,387 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Fair points -- the only thing I'd say hasn't been fully debunked is his weak chin. I don't remember Rampage connecting with one good, grounded strike when they fought. He was mostly swinging wild haymakers and hooks at thin air. Same to a lesser extent with Evans. Did he really land any clean shots to Jones when they fought?
    They both did whilst standing, no ground shots (Jones is never on his back).
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 13:33:50
    Credit to Dan Hardy, still favours the left hook but certainly diversifying his game, a pleasingly measured approach. Sadollah can be super tricky on the ground too but Hardy was very comfortable. Awesome stuff.
  • craigy Staff 2 Oct 2012 08:52:16 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did you see Kingsbury's face? :o

Good event -- Pickett's uppercut was the highlight for me, followed by Wiman's unexpected armbar. Anyone know exactly what happened to Ludwig's knee?
  • craigy Staff 2 Oct 2012 08:54:40 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah! One thing that made me laugh during the broadcast: when they were showing the title card for the Hathaway/Maguire fight, they displayed a Union flag for Hathaway, and an English flag for Maguire. Americans lol.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 00:56:13
    What the fuck is up with Mayhem Miller?

The dudes a complete tool.
  • craigy Staff 9 Oct 2012 09:55:04 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, he's pretty mental.
  • Blakester 12 Oct 2012 12:56:31 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So another card this weekend, but one I'm actually looking forward to for a change.

It's always a pleasure to see 'The Spider' in action and I have a good feeling that Bonnar will make it a fun fight.

Teixeira - Maldonado should be explosive, and if Erick Silva can get past the durable Fitch, he'll have proved his title credentials in my book.

Also hoping Big Nog can get through his fight without injury. I cringe at the thought of anyone getting a hold of his arm now.

• Deleted user 12 October 2012 13:32:46
    I just cringe anytime Big Nog fights in a cage tbh. The dudes body is completely disheveled, seriously needs to call it a day soon, hes like 100 years old in MMA years.

also, anyone actually bothering to watch the two TUFs that are going on? urghhh, tiresome stuff, that thing needs to call it a career too.
  • Blakester 12 Oct 2012 14:40:28 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    I just cringe anytime Big Nog fights in a cage tbh. The dudes body is completely disheveled, seriously needs to call it a day soon, hes like 100 years old in MMA years.

also, anyone actually bothering to watch the two TUFs that are going on? urghhh, tiresome stuff, that thing needs to call it a career too.
    Yep, I watched an interview with him yesterday where I was horrified to hear him say he is 35. Despite being two years younger than me, he looks old enough to be my dad.

As for TUF, the switch to the live shows was the final nail in the coffin for me.

• thenastypasty 12 Oct 2012 20:49:20 5,198 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ive got to admit Im massivly looking forward to the Silva/Bonner fight...

this made laugh this week...

But still this for me is the best UFC clip ever...
  • BillMurray 14 Oct 2012 03:15:22 7,855 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lol, that nose squirt.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2012 00:16:44
    Silva is truly amazing. Deliberately eating punches while backed up against the cage just to prove a point and then he pretty much ends the fight in one blow.

Why in the fuck would anyone want to fight him at this stage? You're almost 100% gauranteed to lose. Even if you manage to land a good strike he'll probably just shrug it off and clip you with some crazy shit that you couldn't possibly have trained for.
  • craigy Staff 15 Oct 2012 09:03:29 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God damn, that was a great event. So many great moments.

I had to skip past the Teixeira fight after the end of the first round -- it really made my stomach turn. Just looked at the FightMetric stats and Teixeira landed 86 strikes in the first round compared to Maldonado's 6.

Fitch was amazing: I hated the way Erick Silva was standing against him, and glad he looked so embarassed at the end of the fight after being broken down. Fuck about and you pay the price. Unless you're Anderson Silva, that is.
  • Blakester 15 Oct 2012 09:33:38 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:

Fitch was amazing: I hated the way Erick Silva was standing against him, and glad he looked so embarassed at the end of the fight after being broken down. Fuck about and you pay the price. Unless you're Anderson Silva, that is.
    You could see that his will had been completely shattered by the end of the fight. I read reports that said he "gassed out", but I think that's bullshit. He just got tooled by a better fighter on the night and coped with it badly.

• Reacher 15 Oct 2012 09:40:42 887 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Erik Silva didn't respect Jon Fitch at all. I bet he does now though. That fight came far too early in Silva's career imo.

Anderson Silva is legendary.

I also couldn't believe that I was a year older than Big Nog, he looks terrible (still love cheering for him though, I was hoping he'd snap Dave Hermans arm)
  • Blakester 15 Oct 2012 09:52:37 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That knee that Bonner got hit with would have felled a tree.

The thing with Silva is that he melds power and precision with flawless technique. I NEED to see him fight Jones.

• craigy Staff 15 Oct 2012 09:55:10 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, I agree - Silva didn't gas, he just got thoroughly broken. I still have no idea how Fitch managed to escape that RNC, though. Fights like that make me want to give BJJ a whirl. I noticed a school opened up near my way. Anyone had any experience? What's more fun: gi, no-gi?
  • Reacher 15 Oct 2012 11:32:32 887 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Yep, I agree - Silva didn't gas, he just got thoroughly broken. I still have no idea how Fitch managed to escape that RNC, though. Fights like that make me want to give BJJ a whirl. I noticed a school opened up near my way. Anyone had any experience? What's more fun: gi, no-gi?
    You probably won't get much choice between Gi or no gi, depending on the school. Make sure your fitness is at a good level, as it's harder than it looks. Gi is cool because of the grips etc.

BJJ schools can be expensive though. Make sure you don't get stuck in a McDojo, research the school and if possible, have a look around for other schools in your area to try and get a feel for what should be a fair price. Try and avoid anywhere that "guarantees a black belt" within a certain time.

Have a look around here http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/index.php and see of the school or the teacher has been mentioned and what their reputation is like. Also, most school will offer some sort of free beginners course before asking you to commit to any payment, so try and avoid anywhere that charges you upfront without you having even tried it.

Most of all, try it, and have fun.
  • craigy Staff 15 Oct 2012 12:31:33 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Solid advice, cheers. I just spotted there are three separate BJJ schools in Brighton. I had no idea!
  • Blakester 15 Oct 2012 12:38:18 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think a lot depends on what type of training experience you want.

I thought about BJJ for a while, but really didn't want to end up at a school where every other guy was an MMA knuckle head, in it to be able to hand out a beating on a Friday night down the pub. I was also put off by the stories of schools that hand out belts for little effort as a way of ensuring a regular flow of revenue.

The key I think is to find a school where the trainer does it out of love for the sport, rather than as a business enterprise.

I like the structure and spirituality of martial arts so went back to my roots to train in Shotokan Karate.

• craigy Staff 15 Oct 2012 13:08:11 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funny, that's my background too.

I considered going back to Karate, but I remember being so bored by the stiffness of it when I was younger. Maybe you get more out of it when you're a bit older?

I probably peaked too early: earned my shodan at 10 (mega-young, I know) after studying for five years, and my sensei wouldn't progress or consider me for a higher dan until I turned 18. I continued going and concentrated on the competitive aspect of Karate, but started falling out of love with it. At 16 I stopped going, and haven't been back since.

Wonder what grade I'd have to start back at?
  • Blakester 15 Oct 2012 13:19:42 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Funny, that's my background too.

I considered going back to Karate, but I remember being so bored by the stiffness of it when I was younger. Maybe you get more out of it when you're a bit older?

I probably peaked too early: earned my shodan at 10 (mega-young, I know) after studying for five years, and my sensei wouldn't progress or consider me for a higher dan until I turned 18. I continued going and concentrated on the competitive aspect of Karate, but started falling out of love with it. At 16 I stopped going, and haven't been back since.

Wonder what grade I'd have to start back at?
    Sorry for derailing the thread somewhat with this.

If you still have your registration book, you can start again at black belt if you wish.

I decided to go back to white, and frankly it's amazing how little technique I actually had first time round. Now I'm studying the art more seriously, I'm taking great pride in perfecting my kata and having good stance, two things I virtually ignored in my teens.

I also love the "stiffness" as you describe it. There's something humbling about taking instruction and adhering to the etiquette of the dojo. After a tough day at work I find it really theraputic.

• craigy Staff 15 Oct 2012 16:20:08 7,767 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey, that's really interesting. Do you spar as well as do the traditional side of it?
  • The-Bodybuilder 15 Oct 2012 17:10:42 14,387 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In regards to the BJJ question; Gi is always best.
  • Blakester 15 Oct 2012 21:03:13 3,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Hey, that's really interesting. Do you spar as well as do the traditional side of it?
    Our Sensei really mixes it up from one session to the next. We do kihon, kata and kumite but he also throws in self defence that would come in useful 'on the street'. He's fond of the line-up where you take turns defending against attacks from the rest of the class.

Quite a few of the guys take part in competition so I guess our club is a little more sport-orientated than traditional. Having said that he's very good at focusing on technique for those who aren't interested in that side.

• thenastypasty 16 Oct 2012 21:42:45 5,198 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sonnen set to coach against Jones on TUF 17!

Colour me interested in the next series.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2012 15:38:09
    Just got back from a week away.

UFC 153 was fucking incredible, not only were the fights utterly insane but I managed to predict seven of them correctly on an accumulator and win a hefty sum :)

also, Jon Fitch is my new hero. The dude does guerrilla warfare like nobodies business, what an animal.

oh, and poor Maldonado /o\
  • Page

of 181 First / Last