The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 116

• Page

of 171 First / Last

• Deleted user 14 August 2012 07:37:27
    Kim is a terrible roll model, they should pack condoms and phelps is a spanner.
  • Deleted user 14 August 2012 08:05:18
    Just watched the first silva v sonnon fight. Silva got one solid chin. Was only rocked once but must have taken at least a dozen heavy hits. Need to watch re match somewhere now.
    Silva v Gsp will never happen but it would be great to see. Both are superb, remember how Gsp made Penn look like an rookie fighter and how he dominanted the legend Matt Hughes.
    Would like to see machida get another shot at bones.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Aug 2012 09:38:36 14,112 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    why? Jones will just turn him into a semi-corpse again.
  • craigy Staff 14 Aug 2012 09:56:55 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How did everyone score Henderson v Edgar? I don't see what all the commotion is about -- Henderson was the more dominant, aggressive fighter, and he landed more strikes. Edgar's leg must be sore as hell.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2012 22:41:16
    This is much more like it!

FOX 5 Card:

Henderson/Diaz
    Shogun/Gustafsson
    Penn/MacDonald

Also Chael Sonnen to make 205 debut against Forrest Griffin in December.
  • craigy Staff 16 Aug 2012 07:53:59 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else getting UFC fatigue? I'm struggling to keep up!

Having said that, the Penn/MacDonald pairing has gotten me pretty excited. Shame it had to be bumped to later in the year. Will a decent Penn show up? I don't think so.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2012 13:34:02
    craigy wrote:
    Anyone else getting UFC fatigue? I'm struggling to keep up!
    Sadly yes, Ive been watching MMA for 12 years and have never felt this jaded. I certainly dont get as emotionally invested as I used to.

And judging by certain PPV numbers, we are not the only ones. Things are booming in places like Brazil but it appears the western audience has become very disinterested with the sport.

Its all down to oversaturation, desensitization, a bloated roster and few characters that people care about.

The UFC has a lot of work to do.
  • craigy Staff 16 Aug 2012 13:45:15 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think interests may end up developing in a way where people favour certain camps, rather than following individual fighters. You could invest more in a team that you like than a few single guys that are hard to track. This new Fight Factory TV show might be the start of it.

Bloated rosters are a part of the problem, for sure. I didn't realise that the UFC LHW class has 37 fighters! Middleweight is even worse with 46 guys. Can you name all 62 welterweights? I sure as hell can't.

Don't suppose you know if TUF is keeping to the live format again for the upcoming series?
  • Deleted user 16 August 2012 13:53:22
    craigy wrote:

Don't suppose you know if TUF is keeping to the live format again for the upcoming series?
    Being filmed as we speak, their axing the live format and going for a more 'story-driven' show. Apprently Big Country is driving Dana insane :)
  • Blakester 16 Aug 2012 17:29:37 3,593 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I think interests may end up developing in a way where people favour certain camps, rather than following individual fighters. You could invest more in a team that you like than a few single guys that are hard to track. This new Fight Factory TV show might be the start of it.

Bloated rosters are a part of the problem, for sure. I didn't realise that the UFC LHW class has 37 fighters! Middleweight is even worse with 46 guys. Can you name all 62 welterweights? I sure as hell can't.

I really get the impression that the UFC is at a make or break moment in its history.

Like most of you my interest has waned considerably this year, and it can be no coincidence that this coincides with a huge increase in the number of monthly events and the bloated roster.

Outside of Anderson and maybe GSP there is a serious lack of star power, and that can only be because the UFC doesn't have the time or resources to fully hype and promote their events or fighters. Ironically, in trying to generate more revenue through extra events, they are losing ticket and PPV sales. I also think they've damaged the sport by taking out all their rivals. Competition keeps you on your game.

A back to basics approach might be their only hope of salvation. Allow the fighters to compete across both the UFC and Strikeforce. Limit PPV and Fox shows to one a month, and for gods sake stop Dana White from claiming every card is the best yet.

One final point, it really seems to me as though the gap between the fighter's skills has narrowed to be virtually non-existent. There are so few stylistically interesting match-ups that it can lead to identikit cards.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 17 Aug 2012 09:03:03 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The all-heavyweights card was something of a high point for me -- maybe there's something in that?

You could have an all-submission fighter card, and all-standing card, all welterweight card. In fact, the all-one-weight cards could do quite a lot to unclog divisions by sorting out the ladder in one evening.

I'd say even one event per month is too much -- the current flow of one a fortnight is absolutely mental.

The star power thing is a good point -- realistically, who outside of the MMA world knows who Anderson (outside of Brazil) and GSP (outside of Canada) are? And those guys are supposed to be megastars.
  • FalseAlibi 17 Aug 2012 13:10:37 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There are definitely too many cards at the moment - with watered down non-headline fights as a result.

I reckon every 6-8 weeks would work for PPVs with a few Fox events and Fight Nights over a year.

That said - I still try and catch all the events, but am just not excited about them, and they don't linger in the memory much.

The Fight Factory format looks interesting though. An Old fashioned docu-soap as opposed to a new fangled 'reality series' with a few interesting fighters getting decent exposure time without the prank wars and frat sensibilities of TUF etc = Win. Also Phil Baroni = Win++
  • senso-ji 17 Aug 2012 16:05:29 5,840 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What the UFC needs is another Hughes vs Penn or Liddell vs Ortiz type event. The only me (and everyone else) can think of is GSP vs Silva, but I don't think that's likely to happen :(
  • craigy Staff 17 Aug 2012 16:09:43 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How long can Jones hang at LHW? I have a feeling he'll have to go up to HW soon. Hopefully by that time The Reem will be HW champ, and we'll get to enjoy him dominate Jones in a superfight.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 13:38:10
    Ronda Rousey is just ridiculously good. Yet another first round armbar win, only took 54 seconds this time and against a former champion.

How the fuck is no one able to counter it?
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 15:59:43
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Ronda Rousey is just ridiculously good. Yet another first round armbar win, only took 54 seconds this time and against a former champion.

How the fuck is no one able to counter it?
    To put simply, her contemporaries are nowhere near the level she is. Has she even faught a BJJ black belt yet? Is there even a legit BJJ black belt in womens MMA?

No doubting Ronda has world class throws and a world class top game, but shes fighting cans at the end of the day.

edit: No doubt Rousey/Cyborg could do big numbers, I would expect that to be the first time that women compete in the UFC.
    Edited by TearYouAsunder at 16:00:15 19-08-2012

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 16:04:06 19-08-2012
  • Deleted user 19 August 2012 16:58:11
    Kaufman is a brown belt in BJJ, that's one step down from black belt and one step above Cyborgs purple. She still got subbed in less than a minute. She only has two losses in fact.... both by armbar. BJJ is far from the be all and end all in MMA at the moment.

Rousey/Cyborg will end with Cyborg losing to an armbar. She's strong as fuck and a decent-ish striker but Rousey has impeccable technique. I knew the fight was over last night the second she got her hands on Kaufman for the Judo takedown. People don't get back up when Ronda takes them down.
  • craigy Staff 19 Aug 2012 17:43:50 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTW, I love the shower of shit Rousey is drenching Cyborg in for the steroid use. Wonder if she'll choose to really pop her hip when she lands the inevitable armbar on Cyborg? :D
  • El_MUERkO 23 Aug 2012 20:13:02 16,970 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hendo injured. Has to pull out of UFC 151. Dana White asks Jones to fight Sonnen on short notice.

Jones says no!

Event Cancelled! (first event Zuffa has ever cancelled)

Dana White furious with Jones. @DanaWhite "I don't give a shit what Greg Jackson thinks. He should never be interviewed by anyone again except for a psychiatrist."

Fighters furious with Jones. Charlie Brenneman "@jonnybones u can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks. @ufc"

Jones is such a pussy! Hope Machida takes his fucking head off.
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Aug 2012 20:38:45 14,112 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @craigy not sure if that will ever happen.
    even with team sports like football, we still end up upholding one player over all others, who becomes our favourite.

we like styles and we all like our specific fighters based on that (amongst other things). Unless all camp's and firefighters fight the same, I doubt it, besides, wasn't there a league that tried that camp/team thing and failed massively?

as for UFC burn out? I've only watched a few this year, last being Silva/Sonnen. Too many cards, too many events, too poor fighters, the rise of the wrestlers has made it quite boring, poor judging, I just can't keep up.

just look out for my fighters, watch a few UCMMA, and that's it now.
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Aug 2012 20:48:37 14,112 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seriously, people need to give up on the Machida hope of beating Jones. Its like people just those to forget the last fight.

One on hand, I can understand Jones not accepting. It seems people just want to see it purely on the off chance that Jones isn't prepared for him, thus hope he losses.
    plus boxers don't accept last minute challenges, so I don't see why it should be a big deal. Plus once again Dana White is a lying scumbag, after claiming Sonnen isn't anywhere near worthy to get a title shot, he's happy to overlook more worthy challenges for the man who talked himself into his last title shot (and got whooped nicely).

on the other hand, Jones being the champ should be ready to fight anyone and challenge anyone.
  • craigy Staff 23 Aug 2012 20:58:19 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn, was hoping Hendo would frazzle Jones.

Who would be a better viable alternate? Not Shogun, not Bader. Gustafson is a stretch, but would make for an interesting opponent due to his size.
  • Deleted user 23 August 2012 21:43:23
    Just heard that god-awful news

/o\

/repeatedly hits head against desk
  • Deleted user 23 August 2012 22:35:11
    Cyborg is very scary, doesn't she have to drop a couple of divisions to fight Ronda though?
  • Deleted user 23 August 2012 22:40:33
    revan8 wrote:
    Cyborg is very scary, doesn't she have to drop a couple of divisions to fight Ronda though?
    They'll either have to have Ronda go up or meet at a catchweight. Cyborg already has to cut a good bit at the moment to make weight, asking here to do more would be far too unfair.
  • Deleted user 23 August 2012 22:45:12
    But she does drugs and is like a man already :)
    I never seen her fight though to be fair.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Aug 2012 06:53:27 14,112 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another point about Jones not accepting Sonnen last-minute.

White is scum for making Jones the scapegoat for 151 getting cancelled. It got cancelled because, once again, due to UFCs perpetual rubbish carding, where only 1 fight is worth seeing. We've all complained about their watered-down perpetual events, and this failed because of it, not because of Jones.

But White being a prick will never fess up and admit that 151's cancellation is all their doing, not Jones.

And when White says Sonnen was the only option, that's a lie. Weidman was interested, but Joe Silva never offered it to him.
  • craigy Staff 24 Aug 2012 07:14:39 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just read that Anderson Silva said he'd take the fight, but White had already cancelled the event by the time the message got to him. Gah.
  • craigy Staff 24 Aug 2012 07:15:25 7,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What does all of this mean for Hendo? Past forty, torn knee -- is he done?
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Aug 2012 07:37:47 14,112 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @craigy I can't believe that. I'll wait a few more daysfor confirmation.

I mean, not only are both Silva/Jones close pals with the view of never fighting each other, we all know it's impossible for Silva to go from Middle to light-heavy in over a week, unless he's got some gamma radiation machine somewhere.
  • Page

of 171 First / Last