The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 115

• Page

of 187 First / Last

• Deleted user 5 June 2012 01:17:13
    Aaaaaaand UFC games are now being produced by EA.

They have arrived :D
  • Blakester 3 Jul 2012 15:58:10 3,671 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK MMA fans, this Saturday is possibly the biggest fight of all time. I'm already hyped and it's only Tuesday.

Who's rooting for Silva, and who thinks Sonnen can repeat his previous performance without getting caught in a triangle?

Couldn't care less about Tito's last fight though :-P

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 3 Jul 2012 16:02:58 7,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm absolutely, enormously, off-the-charts pumped about the fight this weekend. I've totally fallen for Sonnen, and reckon he'll do exactly what he says and beat Silva up all over again.

Silva's looking pretty big, and I expect him to go for an early KO.

Oh, and Tito's gonna lose!
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Jul 2012 16:22:27 14,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Injured Silva V Roided Sonnen = Silva win.

Bigger, fitter, angrier Silva V Off-the-special-sauce Sonnen = A complete annihilation.

I simply cannot wait.
  • craigy Staff 3 Jul 2012 16:33:21 7,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You may be right -- Sonnen didn't look half as strong against Bisping. I'm still rooting for the guy, though.

This is a really interesting dissection of Silva's potential weaknesses:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/1/3124601/ufc-148-judo-chop-anderson-silva-chael-sonnen-weaknesses
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Jul 2012 17:14:11 14,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only real weakness is his wrestling ped against sonnen. But fool me once, as they say.

I see Silva stuffing all his takedowns and then just toying with him.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Jul 2012 17:25:49 14,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great article btw.
  • craigy Staff 3 Jul 2012 21:38:18 7,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heeh! Silva is livid!

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/7/3/3135437/ufc-148-video-anderson-silva-chael-sonnen-have-to-be-separated-at
  • Deleted user 7 July 2012 00:35:24
    Silva supposedly just shouldered Sonnen in the face at the weigh-ins.

This fight is going to fucking rule. The only think more dangerous than Anderson Silva is a pissed off Anderson Silva.

I'm predicting a comical first round knock-out victory for Silva.
  • azurelas_2 8 Jul 2012 05:36:59 1,152 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It wasn't even close
  • SuperCoolEskimo 8 Jul 2012 10:42:13 10,073 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit of a disappointment in the end.
  • The-Bodybuilder 8 Jul 2012 13:24:59 14,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Very much a disappointment but also fun to see sonnen spin around in a daze and having Silva casually duck, then walk and gently ground and pound him.

whole think reminded of Lewis Vs. Rahman fight; as in the jammy challenger of the first round talks into the rematch only to be shown to be wholly outclassed.
  • craigy Staff 9 Jul 2012 09:02:47 7,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, Silva sure knows how to pounce on a mistake. What was Sonnen thinking to throw a spinning elbow?

What's everyone's verdict on the knee? I think it was thrown with bad intentions (i.e. he was aiming for the face), but got lucky in that it missed and landed on the chest.

I tend to agree with the assessment of many that Silva greased himself. How much of a difference it made, I have no idea.
  • FalseAlibi 10 Jul 2012 12:05:26 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Man, Silva sure knows how to pounce on a mistake. What was Sonnen thinking to throw a spinning elbow?
    Sonnen looked so clumsy and arkward in the second right from the off, but I didn't really see how Silva managed to catch him enough to make that happen. Perhaps just a few clips and the complete change of pace from the first was enough to through Sonnen's momentum?

As for the spinning backfist / elbow - I think it was being used as an oportunistic retreating blow. It's done a lot to back people off when escaping a clinch or when turned the wrong way. If it hits then great, but if not it normally poses enough of a threat to keep somone out of harm's way until they can reset. But then if someone like Silva neither walks onto it, nor backs away, then that leaves the elbower in a bad position.

What's everyone's verdict on the knee? I think it was thrown with bad intentions (i.e. he was aiming for the face), but got lucky in that it missed and landed on the chest.
    I say - aiming for chest, but not too too toooo fussed if it clipped the jaw on the way. I think fighters are so conditioned not to knee a downed opponent that to actually train and drill for a dropping knee to the torso creates an attack that is both devastating and comes out of nowhere. And that's what I think happened.

I tend to agree with the assessment of many that Silva greased himself. How much of a difference it made, I have no idea.
    It just looked so odd and obvious before the fight, that he was transferring grease to his limbs I can't think of an alternitive that's believable. It's a good thing it was a decisive end to the fight or else that'd've left too big a question mark on a close fight.
  • Blakester 10 Jul 2012 13:06:30 3,671 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Word is that Sonnen's management team have been considering challenging the outcome due to Silva greasing himself and throwing the knee with bad intentions. They have been advised however that their case is incredibly weak.

The fight itself started well enough, but fizzled out in the second. To be fair, it was never going to live up to the hype but I was a little surprised Sonnen was so gracious in defeat considering how dominant he was in that first round. I guess it really was win or bust.

How mental was Forrest Griffin though? As if there aren't enough YouTube vids of him running from the cage already.

• SuperCoolEskimo 20 Jul 2012 20:03:57 10,073 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwP04-diHtc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 20:06:28 20-07-2012
  • craigy Staff 23 Jul 2012 09:06:09 7,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, UFC 149. Was Lombard stoned?

The undercard was excellent, especially Rivera/Delorme and Caraway/Gagnon. The less said about the main card, the better :D
  • Blakester 23 Jul 2012 09:57:45 3,671 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah the main card was a complete snoozefest.

Dana White speculated before the fight that the occasion could get to Lombard and it proved so. It seemed like he had a complete adrenaline dump in the first round and was unable to get any offense going. His team were furiously massaging his arms in between rounds which suggested he had something of a lock-down. I couldn't believe how flat footed he was either.

The main event wasn't exactly electrifying. Faber was far too easily shut down by leg kicks again.

• Deleted user 5 August 2012 12:59:45
    Probably accurate to say the UFC has fallen into a bit of a depression this year, countless injuires, dwindling buyrates, market oversaturation, the Fox 2 snoozefest, Overeem getting busted, Diaz suspended, Guida in flight mode, the Jones vs Evans anticlimax, the god awful UFC 148 card etc etc etc

Well, we can forget about that now, all is forgotten, because last night was a reminder of why MMA is FUCKING INCREDIBLE \o/!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 13:01:09 05-08-2012
  • El_MUERkO 5 Aug 2012 13:31:00 17,152 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Too right. THE BEST NIGHT OF FIGHTS IN MONTHS.

Joe Silva nailed the match-ups, Dana White gave the fighters the incentive they needed and everyone came to perform.

I was hugely impressed and pleased with Vera's performance, here's hoping he maintains the commitment he brought into that fight, takes belief in himself from that fight and goes on a roll.

Shogun Vs. Gustafson makes a shit load of sense right now, winner has the shot after Machida punks Jones :D
  • The-Bodybuilder 6 Aug 2012 08:01:52 14,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Punks joneslol.
  • Deleted user 7 August 2012 12:40:39
    Impersonations of MMA Personalities

Highlights are BJ Penn, Nate Diaz, Sensei Seagal, Alistair Overeem and Rory Mcdonald.

Funny :D

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 12:51:21 07-08-2012

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 12:53:05 07-08-2012
  • SuperCoolEskimo 12 Aug 2012 04:26:42 10,073 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jake Shields is so boring. Stunk out the place yet again. Cut him, already.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 12 Aug 2012 05:39:10 10,073 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ugh.
  • Deleted user 12 August 2012 20:26:03
    Right then, I had Frankie winning (well, squeaking) rounds 2,3 and 5, what about you guys? tbh neither guy did enough in either fight to claim themselves the definite winner.

And that was another ho-hum PPV from the UFC tbh, another severely watered down card with questionable matchmaking.
  • Blakester 13 Aug 2012 16:49:12 3,671 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't know about you guys but I wasn't particularly clamoring for the rematch in the first place. Although I thought Frankie did enough, it was just as close as before with neither fighter particularly looking for the finish at any point.

I know Frankie looked devastated in the post-fight presser, but his game-plan seemed to be based on outworking Henderson over 5 rounds in the hope he would score enough points with the judges. That just doesn't scream the attitude of a champion to me, and as the challenger the emphasis is on him to take the belt decisively.

I'm much, much more interested in Nate Diaz finally get his shot at the title. He might struggle with Henderson's wrestling, but the guy can finish from virtually any position.

Good night's work for Cerrone. $120K better off for a couple of minutes (admittedly amazing) fighting. Probably time for Melvin to head to one of the smaller organizations where he'll pick up some confidence.

• Deleted user 13 August 2012 18:36:13
    ronda rousey fights on saturday, hopefully she wins again. See if someone can last more than a couple minutes before getting arm barred.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Aug 2012 18:44:10 14,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thoroughly dislike Rousey.
    initially liked her, but her gobby mouth is making her the kanye west of MMA; has an opinion for everything and feels the need to slay off anyone for attention (even Phelps, probably cuz she wanted his piece, but he didn't wanna hit that in the village).

Just happy her judo bronze has happily been overtaken.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2012 18:55:20
    She has made the media show some light and money on woman's mma. For that it is all good. Kanye is all good for music, rr is all good for womans mma.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Aug 2012 00:01:21 14,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would say Gina has done more women's MMA, and will continue to do so with fast 6.
    what started as initial interest is already turning the tide, especially when she started going in on Phelps, a US treasure.
    then there's her hypocrisy (bad mouthing Gina for doing nude shots.....till she did them. Attacking Kim Kardashian for selling sex.....then goes on to happily talk about the great sex that happens at the Olympics and how all the girls should pack condoms).
  • Page

of 187 First / Last