The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 114

• Page

of 169 First / Last

• craigy Staff 22 Apr 2012 16:12:26 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Won't be too long until Jones moves up to HW, given all the extra muscle he's packing on. Not sure how he'd fare against someone like Big Ben, though!
  • Deleted user 22 April 2012 16:41:29
    Blakester wrote:
    OK, can someone explain to me how Jones and Evans are in the same weight class?

Looked like a horrible mismatch.
    They weight the same :D

Or to properly answer, Jones is a large guy "dropping down" to make weight to fight in the weight class, hence the skinny limbs.

It's not ideal but it gives him a reach advantage to dominate "normal" sized guys in the weight class.
  • Blakester 22 Apr 2012 17:13:07 3,578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Those elbows are devastating. I give Rashad massive credit for taking as any as he did and not going down.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 22 Apr 2012 18:02:14 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't see Hendo doing much better than Rashad if he's the next opponent for Jones. Don't think Hendo will be able to find a landing spot for his bombs.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 22 Apr 2012 18:45:02 6,654 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Enjoyed it. Not the emo fuelled brawl that I wanted to see though. Never going to be though I guess.
  • mattigan 22 Apr 2012 20:06:37 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A friend of mine is producing some UFC inspired art, would anyone here be interested in such a thing?
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Apr 2012 20:41:51 14,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hendo would be a sitting duck for in.
    would love for Ben to land a h-bomb, and for Jones to take it. Would shut the haters even more.
  • craigy Staff 25 Apr 2012 08:54:13 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Overeem's out until December, then. Will he fight in the UFC again? Will he still be the top contender in the eyes of Dana White?
  • Deleted user 1 May 2012 02:12:29
    They invited Ronda Rousey on the last ep of TUF as the first female guest trainer for one of Cruz sessions. She threw some motherfuckers around Olympic judo-stylee.

She also showed up at the house later on to watch the Evans/Jones fight and all the guys besides Faber and Cruz acted like shy teenagers around her and barely spoke to her. It was incredibly awkward TV.
  • craigy Staff 1 May 2012 07:12:39 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I lol'd. She terrifies me.
  • Blakester 8 May 2012 12:08:48 3,578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UFC on Fox 3 was one of the best night of fights I've seen in some time.

Someone really has to do something though about Josh Koscheck's eye poking tactics. It seems like his opponent suffers in nearly every fight.

The Belcher/Palhares fight was unbelievably tense, especially when it first went to the ground. Belcher has some serious balls to hang with him there and his elbows made me wince :-/

Also really pleased to see Nate Diaz get some well-earned recognition. If his brother can't fight for a while, I'm more than happy to see Nate take his shot at the title. Sick submission too!

• craigy Staff 8 May 2012 12:18:51 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed! It was a really great card.

Belcher was insane. I would never step in the ring with Palhares, least of all wilfully enter his guard! Wonder if Palhares will change tack and stop relying on submissions so much for whatever his next fight is.

I can see Koscheck going into retirement soon due to ongoing eye problems -- his looked bad again after that fight. Who did you see as the winner?

Pat Barry is too wee to hang with the heavies. He's 7-5 in the UFC (1-3 in his last five fights). He's a lovely guy, but when he's standing with a guy like Lavar Johnson he's got no chance.
  • Blakester 8 May 2012 12:59:27 3,578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Agreed! It was a really great card.

Belcher was insane. I would never step in the ring with Palhares, least of all wilfully enter his guard! Wonder if Palhares will change tack and stop relying on submissions so much for whatever his next fight is.

I can see Koscheck going into retirement soon due to ongoing eye problems -- his looked bad again after that fight. Who did you see as the winner?

Pat Barry is too wee to hang with the heavies. He's 7-5 in the UFC (1-3 in his last five fights). He's a lovely guy, but when he's standing with a guy like Lavar Johnson he's got no chance.
    Kos probably edged it, but it was close enough that I can accept the decision.

I loved what Belcher said as he walked back to his team after beating Palhares: "I tooled that Motherfucker".

• craigy Staff 8 May 2012 15:30:47 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cruz is out of the Faber rubber match with a torn ACL. Two champions out for extended periods with the same injury now.

Faber to be given interim belt?
  • FalseAlibi 21 May 2012 12:02:09 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The FUEL card was almost as good as the last Fox one.

Don't think there was a dud fight in the whole thing although Cowboy could've put more effort into a finish instead of toying with his opponent. Still at least it should have excorcised any demons and worries from his Diaz fight.

Korean Zombie's transitions were awesome!
  • craigy Staff 21 May 2012 14:04:31 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah Cowboy was impressive. Love the one-two-legkick combo.

Maldonado should have got the decision -- he was ripping those body shots all night, but got clipped by a few good headshots that probably looked flashier to the judges.

Did you see the Strikeforce HW GP final? Cormier looked goood. UFC next for him, for sure. Would be interesting to see him and Big Country fight, as they have similar a style and body type.
  • El_MUERkO 21 May 2012 14:12:27 16,956 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been really slacking on the UFC lately, got a bunch of cards on the Sky box unwatched.

Read about John Jones DUI, maybe he'll stop the God Boy routine now, Bentley driving twat.
  • craigy Staff 21 May 2012 14:44:30 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Fuel 3 card was ace, especially the UFC 145 had a couple of gooduns: Schaub v Rothwell was a frenetic HW scrap, and Rory MacDonald totally tools Che Mills. That kid is terrifying. If you've got the Fox card check out the Palhares fight, as it was mad.
  • FalseAlibi 22 May 2012 11:45:28 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    damn Strikeforce events keep passing me by as they seem to go under the radar without the level of internet hype that's unavoidable for UFC cards!

Shame really, as I've always loved Strikeforce. Not so much now, but initially it had a combination of not too much macho posturing, but lots of showbizz razzamataz - a bit like Pride Bushido with the entrances etc. The no ground elbows etc helped on that front I think.

Anyway - guess I'll have to try and track down the HW GP final.
  • craigy Staff 22 May 2012 16:57:43 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cormier slamming Barnett.

Boom, straight into side control.
  • FalseAlibi 24 May 2012 11:57:43 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally saw the Strikeforce HW GP - Cormier did indeed look good and must be UFC bound. I was under the impression that was Strikeforce's last HW bout so I can't see him not entering the UFC. Not sure he'll do to well in the bigger pond though as he's even shorter than Pat Barry and'll have some beasts to contend with.

And I can't see Strikeforce going for too much longer as with the amount of empty seats at their cards (in not that big venues to boot) can't be good for the books.
  • Pike 24 May 2012 12:16:10 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FalseAlibi wrote:
    Finally saw the Strikeforce HW GP - Cormier did indeed look good and must be UFC bound. I was under the impression that was Strikeforce's last HW bout so I can't see him not entering the UFC. Not sure he'll do to well in the bigger pond though as he's even shorter than Pat Barry and'll have some beasts to contend with.
    Cormier would probably be able to do pretty great at 205 if he didn't have major issues cutting weight. However he'll probably do quite well as a heavyweight as well since he, unlike Pat Barry, is not a bad fighter.
  • craigy Staff 24 May 2012 12:19:34 7,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cormier v Rashad would be a bout I'd love to see
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 May 2012 08:26:18 14,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not UFC related but...
    If you guys get the change, watch UCMMA28 this wednesday on skysports 3. There you'll see my friend and kb coach Galore (The Human Highlight reel) take on Wendle Lewis, a fighter that was UFC-bound, and if he had won this fight, would've been signed by the UFC.

I say that because what you'll witness is a youtube-worthy knockout of a guy who was undefeated, with the whole place going silent. Galore is actually one of the best kickboxers around (and descent wrestler and BJJ) and that knockout will almost guarantee him UFC interest.

Just given everyone a heads up, so you know where you heard it first. :)
  • El_MUERkO 28 May 2012 08:48:18 16,956 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Will do.

Watched 146 this weekend. It was depressingly bright by the time it was over.

Junior Dos Santos looked good. The rematch against Cain should be interesting. If he wins he'll likely fight Overseas next.
  • The-Bodybuilder 28 May 2012 08:51:18 14,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really want Cain to win.
    Like JDS, but I'm a Cain fan.
  • Blakester 28 May 2012 11:00:22 3,578 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After the last few amazing events, 146 felt a little underwhelming for me.

Maybe it's because I like technical fights and you're unlikely to get that so much with the big guys. The Cain/Bigfoot fight was a bit grim with so much blood sloshing around on the canvas, and although I like Mir, it was painfully obvious he had no place in the cage with Dos Santos.

Happy for Hardy, I'm also hearing Mayhem has been cut after a post-fight showdown with Dana White.

• The-Bodybuilder 30 May 2012 22:28:07 14,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    watch skysportss 3 now for ucmma 28 and look out for galore and Wendell
  • Bahamafish 2 Jun 2012 01:12:20 367 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Charles Oliveira and Martin Kampmann on the same card! This is going to be good :)
  • Bahamafish 2 Jun 2012 04:41:19 367 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FUCK YEAH!
  • Page

of 169 First / Last